***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

192,689 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
AustinScubaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gordo14 said:

Also anybody that remembers the Costa Rica game in New York last World Cup Qualifying cycle would understand why that happening is unacceptable.

I did my part and went to Columbus for the El Salvador game. I wish we could have that kind of home field advantage in Houston (and I'm not talking about the weather).
I went to that game in person. At best 50% of the fans were USA fans. It was hard to say exactly since the CR fans were much more vocal.
Mathguy64
AG
oh no said:

It really is crazy comparing how bad Canada has been to how good they are right now. A lot of immigration over the last 30 years, investment in their youth and development programs over the last several years, MLS helping a lot.. .
I suspect its mostly identifying players with Canadian derived nationality. Not quite as extreme as Switzerland but no different than us. How many of our players grew up playing youth soccer in the US?
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

oh no said:

It really is crazy comparing how bad Canada has been to how good they are right now. A lot of immigration over the last 30 years, investment in their youth and development programs over the last several years, MLS helping a lot.. .
I suspect its mostly identifying players with Canadian derived nationality. Not quite as extreme as Switzerland but no different than us. How many of our players grew up playing youth soccer in the US?

Do Reyna and Pulisic count since they went to Germany as teens?

Antonee R.
Dest
Pefok
Brooks

Aren't those pretty much the only regulars who didn't grow up in the US?
oh no
AG
while i'm sure our GI's are still boning Germen women when stationed over there, our current 1st choice player-pool has seemed to have fewer and fewer of those dual nats.

Antonee (UK), Dest are major ones.. John Brooks one of the last German ones we've had in a couple of years. Julian Green isn't getting called up anymore... summer before last we had Tyler Boyd who grew up on New Zealand. Musah is from overseas, Konrad? where did Busio grow up?

RE: Canada, how many of them are dual nats?

Jamaica has a lot that grew up in England.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

while i'm sure our GI's are still boning Germen women when stationed over there, our current 1st choice player-pool has seemed to have fewer and fewer of those dual nats.

Antonee (UK), Dest are major ones.. John Brooks one of the last German ones we've had in a couple of years. Julian Green isn't getting called up anymore... summer before last we had Tyler Boyd who grew up on New Zealand. Musah is from overseas, Konrad? where did Busio grow up?

RE: Canada, how many of them are dual nats?

Jamaica has a lot that grew up in England.
Busio came up through the Sporting KC academy.
I thought about Boyd, but about 10 people have to die before he gets another shot.

I forgot about Konrad, he was born in Miami to Haitian immigrants and moved to Barcelona at 10.
fig96
AG
TheMasterplan said:

oh no said:

Facts shouldn't be racist and why should USSF not want to attempt to maximize a home field advantage? It shouldn't be too big of a deal for teams other than Mexico, but the difference in crowd when we play Mexico in Columbus vs if we played Mexico in Los Angeles is a very stark contrast that no national federation would welcome in their home country.
The main ones that are complaining about US soccer playing in very cold environments are the ones that only just started watching soccer and weren't paying attention to what the USMNT went through in the 2000s.

Honestly, Canada is in WCQs now, should they be denied home games because it's too cold? Central American teams are just going to have to accept that now. US has cold places as well so it makes no difference.

2:00 PM games in San Sula when it's 100+ degrees out with fans outside the hotel isn't fun.
People are complaining about it because it was stupid.

No one has any advantage when it's 5 degrees outside.
wangus12
AG
Mathguy64 said:

oh no said:

Yep. In fact Canada and Mexico are fighting over a young Arsenal player right now in Marcelo Flores. Born in Canada to Mexican parents. Mexico has called him in and he played in a friendly in November. His sister has played for Mexico and his dad played professionally down there.
deadbq03
AG
Tyler Adams v. Yussuf Poulsen (Danish striker)

TRM
AG
deadbq03 said:

Tyler Adams v. Yussuf Poulsen (Danish striker)

FIFY
deadbq03
AG
Thanks. I forgot I needed to take out all the junk at the end. Fixed.
akm91
AG
Interesting Sargent's not in the Norwich squad today, despite his brace from their last PL match.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
I think Pulisic was not in the squad at Chelsea last weekend for an FA cup match and in the squad but never entered today for a club world cup match.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

I think Pulisic was not in the squad at Chelsea last weekend for an FA cup match and in the squad but never entered today for a club world cup match.

Never mind. I did
Aston94
AG
akm91 said:

Interesting Sargent's not in the Norwich squad today, despite his brace from their last PL match.
Per team report he was battling an illness mid week, he is back available for their match this weekend v. Man City.
akm91
AG
Ok, that make sense. Glad to hear he's better
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
KCup17
AG
If I remember correctly he was in the starting XI against Wolves in the FA Cup but got sick before Kick Off and had to be dropped from the team.
oh no
AG
Sargent started at right wing vs Man City in EPL match

Pulisic not even in the squad in club WC match today
jeffk
AG
He was a first half sub and has been playing pretty well.

deadbq03
AG
Really good interview with Tyler Adams where he breaks down plays from Leipzig and USMNT matches.

https://theathletic.com/3123592/2022/02/14/my-game-in-my-words-by-tyler-adams/
jeffk
AG
JJxvi
AG
LMAO
Aston94
AG
Chris Russel delivers all the time.
jeffk
AG
Well, crap. Gio Reyna had to come off with a leg injury in his first start back. Hope it's nothing serious but he was in tears as he left the field.
TRM
AG
KCup17
AG
Reports this morning say it is a Thigh injury and he will only miss 2 weeks of training. Barring set back he will be back in time for the March WCQ games.
Legal Custodian
AG
KCup17 said:

Reports this morning say it is a Thigh injury and he will only miss 2 weeks of training. Barring set back he will be back in time for the March WCQ games.
Awesome news
KCup17
AG
Way better than what I had originally feared when seeing him walk off.
Aston94
AG
When Gio's dad Claudio was a big part of the USMNT that was always the big issue with him. He was great on the field, was always the driver of the team, but he just couldn't seem to stay healthy.

I hope Gio didn't inherit the perpetual injury bug from his dad.
aggiebird02
Remember in the World Cup when he hurt his knee, gave away the ball, and then Ghana scored. That pissed me off so much…
This message brought to you by the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President.
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

When Gio's dad Claudio was a big part of the USMNT that was always the big issue with him. He was great on the field, was always the driver of the team, but he just couldn't seem to stay healthy.

Is that true, that doesn't really jive with what I remember without going to look it up.
John O'Brien is the one I really remember struggling with health, so maybe that overhsadowed it.
KCup17
AG
Happy Birthday Tim Weah. Turns 22 on 2/22/22
Aston94
AG
PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

Is that true, that doesn't really jive with what I remember without going to look it up.
John O'Brien is the one I really remember struggling with health, so maybe that overhsadowed it.
Just a quick look at his wikipedia page just for reference (have bolded references to injuries):

As a U.S. national player, Reyna got his first cap against Norway on January 15, 1994. He was a member of the team at the 1994 FIFA World Cup, but did not play due to injury. Reyna did play in the 1998, 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups.
In 2002, despite sitting out the opening 32 upset win over Portugal due to injury, he was a key contributor in the next three U.S. games a tie against South Korea, a loss to Poland, and a win over CONCACAF rival Mexico. In the quarterfinals, the U.S. lost to eventual runner-up Germany. He became only the third American ever (after Bert Patenaude and John Souza) named to the World Cup all-tournament team.
In 2006, Reyna again captained the U.S. at the World Cup in Germany. Trailing 10 in the opener against the Czech Republic, Reyna fired a 30-yard shot that bounced off the post, the best American chance in the game. In the final group game against Ghana, Reyna suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament when he lost the ball to Haminu Draman who then dribbled in alone and scored Ghana's first goal.
On June 23, 2006, the day after the U.S. was eliminated from the World Cup, Reyna announced his retirement from the national team. He ended his international career with 111 caps and eight goals.

I loved Reyna, he was my favorite player for the USMNT. But yes, he was injured quite often. John O'Brien was a very tragic tale, he was even worse than Reyna as far as always being hurt.
TRM
AG
Pulisic in the starting 11 today and Weah on the bench.

KCup17
AG
My hope is that Weah comes on for 22 mins and scores 2 goals.
theNetSmith
AG
KCup17 said:

Happy Birthday Tim Weah. Turns 22 on 2/22/22
and his jersey number for Lille is 22!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.