***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,322 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gougler08 said:

Wtf did Mckennie do to get benched for 2 games?
Given the circumstances, I'm imagining him getting confrontational with Gregggg in practice, in which case I'm not saying he should've done that, but I understand. /chrisrock
PatAg
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

So, Berhalter has called in a 3rd string GK and Jackson Yueill.

I'm out on him. I don't know what the strategy/grand vision is in his head, but I don't see it at all. We've won some games based on effort and fortuitous goals. We haven't really threatened with consistency.

He has taken in the first two games and decided the answer is.Jackson Yueill. I don't get it at all.
how the **** does he think Yueill is the player to add, especially after how the gold cup went. I just dont get Berhalter, man.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
I don't know bro. The most defensible reason for calling in Yueill is that Berhalter thinks he is going to start both Adams and Acosta, so now he needs someone like Yueill on the bench JUST IN CASE. Which fine. But we already have Sands on the roster for that very scenario, so I'm confused. Why no winger call ups? Hoppe, Caden Clark, Dike, Cowell? Its mind boggling.

But what truly drives me nuts about coaches like Berhalter is that they will call in guys like Yueill, WHO HAVE PROVEN THEY CANT PLAY AT THIS LEVEL, and not call in young guys that might really have talent.

Berhalter is going to sit at a press conference and justify calling in Yueill and not these other guys BASED ON HIS PRIOR TERRIBLE DECISIONS to give Yueill national tram minutes. In other words, he's going to use his prior mistakes to justify his current mistakes.

I feel like you are sabatoging your efforts with a Yueill call up. The other guys saw what happened at the Gold Cup. JY couldn't hack it and was benched into oblivion. Now, with the WCQ off to a bad start and your back to the wall, that's who you call?!?!
oh no
AG
I keep seeing "covid" protocol violations. Did Weston get caught banging El Salvadoran hookers or something?

So Greggg sends a #8 / #10 central midfielder, and arguably the best American soccer player alive, back to Europe and uses the opportunity to bring a "distributing" #6 central midfielder onto the squad going to Honduras yet we already have Adams and Acosta there

I wonder if Greggg will go three CBs, wingbacks, and two 6s and be very defensive away this week. Hope to finish on a counter amd steal 3 pts away.
aggiephoenix02
Well said...
Mathguy64
AG
I'm waiting for him to drop Sargent and call up Gyasi.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mathguy64 said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that isn't a good idea.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
jeffk
AG
I did think Sargent looked better as a sub than a starter last night. Too bad it was only for like eight minutes.
Mathguy64
AG
Another in a long list of strange/bad/borderline idiotic tactical decisions by Gregg.
Rudyjax
AG
Greggg has singlehanded yet ruined my holiday weekend.
Thunder18
AG
Yueill
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
That article on Gregg''s firing in the past is very telling.
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

I did think Sargent looked better as a sub than a starter last night. Too bad it was only for like eight minutes.
I mentioned this during the match, he pretty quickly got involved in play and had some nice touches and a few threatening runs. Much more so than anyone else involved in the attack at that point in the match at least.

And Zardes is injured in any case.
TamuKid
AG
Why would we need Yueill with Sands, Acosta, and Adams already on the roster?

I just don't get it. I know options are limited on a quick turnaround. And you want a guy who's been called up recently. But sheesh.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

This team absolutely needs Zardes. He would be there if he was healthy.
jeffk
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Listening to the Football Show and oh boy. Landon let loose on McKennie. Called him selfish and unprofessional for his actions. Tony Meola ripped all the players for being sloppy. He didn't call them hacks but it was close. Lots of dirty laundry got aired. If they don't get 3 points Wednesday the knifes will be out.
wangus12
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Listening to the Football Show and oh boy. Landon let loose on McKennie. Called him selfish and unprofessional for his actions. Tony Meola ripped all the players for being sloppy. He didn't call them hacks but it was close. Lots of dirty laundry got aired. If they don't get 3 points Wednesday the knifes will be out.
I know someone said it earlier, but they simply will not go after Berhalter. Its always the players fault and while they are also to blame, they're are playing in one of the most ineffective offensive schemes out there right now.
KCup17
AG
I kinda like that the media is coming after the USMNT. Most of these guys have never faced adversity like this on an international scale. It can either solidify them as a team or rip them apart. Hoping it's the former and not the latter.

Wednesday's game is nut up or shut up. We have to have 3 points against Honduras for this 3 game span to not be an utter failure. Anything less than 5 points from this window will be considered a disaster.
oh no
AG
The talent in this player pool should be able to score a few goals vs El Salvador and Canada in any formation with any tactical direction, IMO. No matter what formation you call yourselves lining up in, these are all professional players who know how to play in all sorts of formations - they're technically sound, they are fit and quick, they know how to solve problems and make decisions, they know what runs they and their teammates are supposed to be making. If you break it down to every touch and every decision, soccer boils down to simple concepts that are hard to execute if you're not more technical, more fit, quicker, and smarter than your opponents and able to make them pay when they make mistakes. Just like in other sports, you can have a certain philosophy, but you have to base tactics on your strengths, which okay - maybe Greggg hasn't done well enough, and also be able to shift and adjust to what opponents are doing or to certain situations.

I wonder if a bigger problem than tactics right now for Greggg is many of the first choice players come over from Europe too big for their britches and they don't respect him. You can feel it when some of these players speak. Superstars Reyna and Pulisic think they know more than Gregg (and probably do) and players feed off of it. Gio already demonstrates a bad attitude on the pitch, McKennie thought he could do whatever he wants. That's on Greggg for not earning these players' respect. Secondly, how much have the players gotten too cocky based off the Nations League trophy and the Gold Cup trophy and thought they could waltz into the world cup? - that mentality would be on Greggg too. Thirdly, I wonder how much players born and raised as non-Americans but play for USMNT, such as Brooks and Pefok, really want to even be there getting concacaf'd- that would also be on Greggg for not recognizing it and correcting it or choosing different players in what is becoming a pretty deep and talented pool for USA. All three are non-tactical issues that Greggg is responsible for.

Those largely 2nd choice players based mostly in MLS seemed to play harder with more heart vs mostly the same competition in the Gold Cup, albeit friendlier venues and with lesser stakes at hand.

All of it goes on Greggg for not really being in charge and not earning these guys' respect.

Furlock Bones
AG
just heard Donovan's statement, he said he is privy to what happened and that Weston's relationship with the rest of the team is almost beyond repair. wow.
JJxvi
AG
oh no said:

I wonder if a bigger problem than tactics right now for Greggg is many of the first choice players come over from Europe too big for their britches and they don't respect him. You can feel it when some of these players speak. Superstars Reyna and Pulisic think they know more than Gregg (and probably do) and players feed off of it. Gio already demonstrates a bad attitude on the pitch, McKennie thought he could do whatever he wants. That's on Greggg for not earning these players' respect. Secondly, how much have the players gotten too cocky based off the Nations League trophy and the Gold Cup trophy and thought they could waltz into the world cup? - that mentality would be on Greggg too. Thirdly, I wonder how much players born and raised as non-Americans but play for USMNT, such as Brooks and Pefok, really want to even be there getting concacaf'd- that would also be on Greggg for not recognizing it and correcting it or choosing different players in what is becoming a pretty deep and talented pool for USA. All three are non-tactical issues that Greggg is responsible for.

There is zero chance that 19 and 21 year old kids know more than Gregg Berhalter. Sure, I guess it is a possibility that they are arrogant and have that feeling, but your line "(and probably do)" is laughable.

I know there is like an impression that Gregg Berhalter is like the typical American hayseed from MLS because he was the head coach of the Crew ....but anybody that thinks that should probably go look back and freshen up their knowledge of his career and which teams he has actually played for and coached.
TamuKid
AG
Wow.. Jesse Marsch liked that tweet. That's damning. He's the best American coach in Europe (at RB Leipzig).

jeffk
AG
Furlock Bones said:

just heard Donovan's statement, he said he is privy to what happened and that Weston's relationship with the rest of the team is almost beyond repair. wow.

Someone needs to just freaking spill it already.
Legal Custodian
AG
Probably just snuck a chick into the team hotel or something
Legal Custodian
PatAg
AG
The thing is, the quality and style and tactics were all the same in Nations League and Gold Cup. There is a very small margin of error when you aren't creating a lot of chances on goal. I cant speak for other people, but I think it is definitely on both the players and on Berhalter.
I just think most of it should be on Berhalter because I think he is trying to manage the team like it is a club team and not a national team.
PatAg
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Probably just snuck a chick into the team hotel or something
That was my thought as well. Stupid to do when you are just here for 3 games in one week with lots of travel and everything else going on in the world.
JJxvi
AG
Quote:

That's damning. He's the best American coach in Europe (at RB Leipzig).
It's not exactly a prestigious title though is it? Its one previously held by esteemed know-nothings like Gregg Berhalter and Bob Bradley
tysker
AG
wangus12 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I know someone said it earlier, but they simply will not go after Berhalter. Its always the players fault and while they are also to blame, they're are playing in one of the most ineffective offensive schemes out there right now.
Who exactly is going to score in the currently available player pool?

In the Canada game, the players had no urgency and were lulled to sleep by a strong low block. How many mi****s and poor first touches were there? And we've traditionally relied on quality set pieces to provided quality scoring opportunities and our set pieces have been somewhere between subpar and dog***** Tyler Adams, arguably our best player on the day, almost got himself red carded and stopped what appeared to be a quality scoring opportunity.

We know what we have with Gregg but the constant lack of quality, maturity and ability to 'figure it out' from the players was disappointing.
KCup17
AG
Sounds like he snuck multiple people over. Probably to the team hotel.

IDK how much I believe the Donovan line of an irreparable relationship but only time will tell.
oh no
AG
I mean, with Reyna being son of pro / coach and Pulisic being son of coach and both playing in some of the biggest clubs in the world, no doubt they think they know more than their international team coach. They think they're being tactful, but you can almost feel it when they speak to media. I don't think they like Greggg.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I kind of feel Landon has always been a drama queen
JJxvi
AG
oh no said:

I mean, with Reyna being son of pro / coach and Pulisic being son of coach and both playing in some of the biggest clubs in the world, no doubt they think they know more than their international team coach. They think they're being tactful, but you can almost feel it when they speak to media. I don't think they like Greggg.
Thats fine, and I agree. Even if they didnt know anything, they're so young they probably think they know everything.

My point was directed to the poster, who seemed to believe (and probably many agree) that a 21 year old has more experience (even throwing out the coaching career part) than a guy who played for over a decade in the Netherlands, Germany, and England.
fig96
AG
TamuKid said:

Wow.. Jesse Marsch liked that tweet. That's damning. He's the best American coach in Europe (at RB Leipzig).

Hire him now. He's always said he wants to coach the Nats.

(And I know we likely won't hire him NOW, but I absolutely expect him to be our next manager.)
KCup17
AG
True to an extent on the set pieces. But there were at least 4 stand out opportunities from set pieces where the delivery was good and the finish was pitiful. Robinson and Pefok both missed clear cut chances in the El Salvador game and Robinson should have done better on a corner kick against Canada. Those are a few off the top of my head. But other than those chances I don't remember any quality deliveries.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.