***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,341 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aston94 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Aaronson officially out of the usmnt
Where are you seeing this? Stu Holden reporting per US Soccer that he is still traveling in for games.

Yea Now there are conflicting reports.
PatAg
AG
People just assume out since he couldnt play today.
TRM
AG
I do think it would be prudent to call someone in to replace Aaronson just in case he can't play.
akm91
AG
TRM said:

I do think it would be prudent to call someone in to replace Aaronson just in case he can't play.
If Morris wasn't in camp, he'll be called in. Just don't think there are any other feasible alternatives out there.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
tysker
AG
Aaronson being out may be a blessing because we dont have to shift people around to get Weah and Musah onto the field. Gregg can run a 4222 (playing more like a 42211)
Aston94
AG
tysker said:

Aaronson being out may be a blessing because we dont have to shift people around to get Weah and Musah onto the field. Gregg can run a 4222 (playing more like a 42211)

I don't think Aaronson would have started, but nice to have him for depth
Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

tysker said:

I don't think Aaronson would have started, but nice to have him for depth

With Pulsic gimpy itd be nice to have him healthy.
akm91
AG
Think Berhalter may call in a mid instead of a winger if he needs to replace Aaronson? We only have 6 mids with the thought of Reyna and Aaronson filling in if needed. With Aaronson out, we may want to just call in another mid and keep Reyna as a winger for the cycle.
deadbq03
AG
Honest question - who would you call? If it's gonna be Jackson Yueill, I'd rather take my chances with someone playing out of position.

On that note, it's worth mentioning that Sands can theoretically play there, though he was pretty bad last time.
jeffk
AG
Lots of talk about us possibly fielding a B team vs Mexico to rest/protect our A team for a must-win vs Panama this weekend. I'm not opposed to it. I'd love to see us steal a point in Azteca, but the Panama game is much more critical to our qualifying chances.
akm91
AG
I'd call in Pomykal. He's an attacking mid, good motor and a bit of defensive bite. He's playing in the same system for club as the one USMNT plays which will help ease the transition to an unfamiliar group.

Ferreira can play on the wing in a pinch. With Weah, Pulisic, Morris, Reyna, Aariola already on board, that should provide enough winger depth for the 3 matches. Roldan and Pomykal would be wingers of last resort.

akm91
AG
jeffk said:

Lots of talk about us possibly fielding a B team vs Mexico to rest/protect our A team for a must-win vs Panama this weekend. I'm not opposed to it. I'd love to see us steal a point in Azteca, but the Panama game is much more critical to our qualifying chances.
I'd like to think we start a B squad and if the match is still tied in the 70th minute; maybe sub on some starters to see if we can steal 3 points.
oh no
AG
Not sure who the 23 will be for the matches, but the 27 called in last week includes two 6's in Adams and Acosta, plus Sands who can play 4/5 or 6 and is currently with Rangers in the Scottish premier league- no need for Yueill as a replacement. At CB, however, if something happens to Miles or Zimmer, we're looking at Erik Palmer-Brown or Sands as the only options remaining. Aaron Long is in the 27, but I don't know if he's ready - has he been playing full matches yet?

I'd think a replacement for Aaronson would be another winger. Hoppe? Has Konrad been playing?
oh no
AG
Anyone know if Mexico has all of their first choice players available this week?
Mathguy64
AG
Hector Herrera hasn't choked anyone lately so I believe he's available. And the urine and bottle tossers from the nosebleed sections are checked in ready to go.
Rudyjax
AG
Man if only we had a starter in the premier league who played winger.
akm91
AG
Neither Hoppe nor Konrad has been playing. Konrad has publicly been called out by his club for his apparent lack of professionalism i.e. training and etc.

Think we have enough wingers for the 3 matches. Figure you start Aariola and Morris against Mexico and save Weah, Pulisic and Reyna for Panama. Maybe get some minutes in Mexico for those three if we can steal a win in the waning moments.

I'm not as worried about the 6 as I'm about the 8. Outside of possibly De La Torre (jury is still out since he only shined against Honduras), there really isn't anyone that can provide any semblence of attacking creativity. Musah is great at ball progression but not proven at unlocking defenses. That's going to put a lot of pressure on the wingers to create. Maybe Ferreira would alleviate some of that playing the false 9 role.
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

Not sure who the 23 will be for the matches, but the 27 called in last week includes two 6's in Adams and Acosta, plus Sands who can play 4/5 or 6 and is currently with Rangers in the Scottish premier league- no need for Yueill as a replacement. At CB, however, if something happens to Miles or Zimmer, we're looking at Erik Palmer-Brown or Sands as the only options remaining. Aaron Long is in the 27, but I don't know if he's ready - has he been playing full matches yet?

I'd think a replacement for Aaronson would be another winger. Hoppe? Has Konrad been playing?
Long better be ready if he made the 27.
TRM
AG
oh no said:

I want no part of Sands playing the 6.
fig96
AG
I wouldn't mind seeing Reyna in a more central role, generally speaking we've got more options on the wings than in the middle and it's a chance to get more talent on the field.
oh no
AG
I believe Greggg has invited Long to camp and not rostered him other recent times during this qualifying cycle to help him with his rehab- not sure if this time is for real or not and even if he's physically ready, he hasn't been paired with Miles or Zimmerman - not sure if this crucial final qualifying window is the time to trot Long out onto the pitch.
oh no
AG
Sands played 6 for the senior USMNT for one match (gold cup? or one of the first WCQs?). I thought he made one bad mistake, but don't recall him being that bad overall defensively or connecting passes. No matter who we put in that spot, it's going to be a big step down from Tyler Adams. Anyway, my point was no need to call Yueill with Adams and Acosta fit and guaranteed spots in the 23 already and Sands in the 27 if needed for emergency.
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

I believe Greggg has invited Long to camp and not rostered him other recent times during this qualifying cycle to help him with his rehab- not sure if this time is for real or not and even if he's physically ready, he hasn't been paired with Miles or Zimmerman - not sure if this crucial final qualifying window is the time to trot Long out onto the pitch.
Long has started all 4 of NYRB's MLS matches this season, so he is not in rehabbing mode any longer. He brought him into the winter camp that was just MLS players and was really to keep those guys in shape, but not into the January WCQ camp.

Long is ready for game action if he is in the 27.
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

Sands played 6 for the senior USMNT for one match (gold cup? or one of the first WCQs?). I thought he made one bad mistake, but don't recall him being that bad overall defensively or connecting passes. No matter who we put in that spot, it's going to be a big step down from Tyler Adams. Anyway, my point was no need to call Yueill with Adams and Acosta fit and guaranteed spots in the 23 already and Sands in the 27 if needed for emergency.
This is correct. Sands can be the emergency 6. I think the question is bringing in someone that can fill the other 2 MF positions.
oh no
AG
Good to know he's going full 90 to open the mls season. How's he been playing so far?
Furlock Bones
AG
PatAg said:

People just assume out since he couldnt play today.

Nope. Original reports were correct. Twellman just confirmed. He's out a minimum 2-4 weeks with an mcl sprain.
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

Good to know he's going full 90 to open the mls season. How's he been playing so far?
I can't say that I get a lot of NYRB games in my watchlist. I assume well since he was called in to the USMNT.
oh no
AG
Aston94 said:

oh no said:

I can't say that I get a lot of NYRB games in my watchlist. I assume well since he was called in to the USMNT.
well it's greggg and you know what they say about assumptions

Even before that major injury, I thought the knock on Long was speed. …and John Brooks was left out despite injuries to MacKenzie and Richards, so Long better be moving pretty well if he's in the 23. I haven't seen EPB play in some time and Sands is, well, Sands- an emergency 45 or 6 who may not be in the 23. Maybe the current plan is to play Miles and Zimmerman for both 2nd and 3rd match days with a B squad v Mex, or maybe play them both for all three and hope for no injuries or suspensions.
Furlock Bones
AG
This is crazy. Twellman says he was out 2-4 weeks. But usmnt spokesperson now refuting that saying he's day to day.

Huh
akm91
AG
oh no said:

Aston94 said:

oh no said:

well it's greggg and you know what they say about assumptions

Even before that major injury, I thought the knock on Long was speed. …and John Brooks was left out despite injuries to MacKenzie and Richards, so Long better be moving pretty well if he's in the 23. I haven't seen EPB play in some time and Sands is, well, Sands- an emergency 45 or 6 who may not be in the 23. Maybe the current plan is to play Miles and Zimmerman for both 2nd and 3rd match days with a B squad v Mex, or maybe play them both for all three and hope for no injuries or suspensions.
Pretty sure Brooks and Long were partners due to Long's recovery speed to make up for Brook's deficiency in that area. Don't know if his injury has reduced his speed or not.

Not sure about EPB's speed but think he's faster than Brooks.

Long plays on the right side so he's Zimmerma's backup and I think EPB is a left sided CB so he backs up Robinson.
Rudyjax
AG
Furlock Bones said:

This is crazy. Twellman says he was out 2-4 weeks. But usmnt spokesperson now refuting that saying he's day to day.

Huh
Sounds to me like he's out but they're not going to call anyone else in.
Aston94
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Huh

He did travel, so I thought Twellman's report was odd.
akm91
AG
Aaronson not available for WCQ window.

jeffk
AG
I too am unavailable for the USMNT this window.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

I too am unavailable for the USMNT this window.
You'd be better than Sargent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.