***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,307 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today in the Octagon:

Current Standings:
1. Canada 16 points
2. USA 15pts
3. Mexico 14 pts
4. Panama 14 pts
5. Costa Rica 9 points
6. Jamaica 7 points
7. El Salvador 6 pts
8 Honduras 3 pts

Tonight's Matches:

6pm USA v El Salvador (Columbus, OH) ESPN2
6pm Jamaica v. Mexico (Kingston) CBSSN
7:05pm Honduras v. Canada (San Pedro Sula) Paramount +
8pm Costa Rica v. Panama (San Jose) Paramount +

Huge opportunity for the US as they are only top 4 team playing at home today.

Will be a massive set of 3 games for Canada as they go Central America, Canada, Central America for their 3 games. All without several of their key players.

Game of this 3 match set (other than Canada-USA) has to be Mexico-Panama at Azteca on the last match day.

This round of 3 games should tell us a lot about who will qualify for the WC.

oh no
AG
Thanks.

Who is Canada missing for these 3 match days besides Davies?
akm91
AG
Think they're also missing Estaquio for the first match but he might be available for their last two.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
fig96
AG
So I know there's other more pressing issues this weekend, but is it too early to start talking about Pulisic not getting minutes again?

Quote:

As he stood on the touchline in the evening glow of the Stamford Bridge lights on Sunday with a New York Yankees jersey in his hands and a photographer primed in front of him, Christian Pulisic could not muster a smile. Perhaps his mind was still processing the match that had played out on the pitch behind him, without him: the third of three Chelsea victories over bitter rivals Tottenham in less than three weeks, yielding a grand total of 11 minutes of personal involvement.

A COVID-19 absence and a significant ankle injury are contributing factors to that total of 1,057 minutes played so far this season, but Pulisic has been fit and healthy for weeks now. The sense that he is mired near the bottom of head coach Thomas Tuchel's otherwise fluid pecking order of inconsistent attackers is hard to shift, as is the notion that his natural inclination to keep his head down and be willing to play anywhere on the pitch has worked against him.
https://theathletic.com/3091969/2022/01/26/something-has-to-give-for-pulisic-things-cant-go-on-like-this/
Aston94
AG
Canada WCQ Rosteroh no said:

Thanks.

Who is Canada missing for these 3 match days besides Davies?

Davies and Estaquio, arguably their two strongest players. As mentioned, Estaquio is on the roster, but his likelihood of playing is doubtful.

Canada WCQ Roster
Aston94
AG
fig96 said:

So I know there's other more pressing issues this weekend, but is it too early to start talking about Pulisic not getting minutes again?

Quote:

As he stood on the touchline in the evening glow of the Stamford Bridge lights on Sunday with a New York Yankees jersey in his hands and a photographer primed in front of him, Christian Pulisic could not muster a smile. Perhaps his mind was still processing the match that had played out on the pitch behind him, without him: the third of three Chelsea victories over bitter rivals Tottenham in less than three weeks, yielding a grand total of 11 minutes of personal involvement.

A COVID-19 absence and a significant ankle injury are contributing factors to that total of 1,057 minutes played so far this season, but Pulisic has been fit and healthy for weeks now. The sense that he is mired near the bottom of head coach Thomas Tuchel's otherwise fluid pecking order of inconsistent attackers is hard to shift, as is the notion that his natural inclination to keep his head down and be willing to play anywhere on the pitch has worked against him.
https://theathletic.com/3091969/2022/01/26/something-has-to-give-for-pulisic-things-cant-go-on-like-this/

Let's hold this discussion for after this three game set. Tuechel clearly does not favor him, and Chelsea have an embarrassment of options on the wings and at forward, would love for him to go to an Everton, or Palace, or other mid-table team where he could be the man and really cement his place in American lore, ala Clint Dempsey and Brian McBride.
fig96
AG
Sounds good.

And as an Everton supporter I can wish but there's no way ownership is competent enough to pull that off.
wangus12
AG
He should have never left Dortmund. He was a key player on a competitive CL team. The move to Chelsea was never a good idea with the way they rotate coaches and replace players.
Rudyjax
AG
I just don't why he's not getting playing time. He's the most dynamic player they have. The good news is it guaranteed him to be healthy for this window.

Until he gets hacked to death of course.
Max Power
AG
I'm a Chelsea supporter and a Pulisic fan, it's not an ideal situation for him these days. They need to move him, both for his sake and theirs, no point in having him on the roster if they're not going to use him (when healthy) and they have bigger fish to fry with their roster. They'll be able to get a decent return on him and their defense needs to be solidified for after the season, Rudiger, Christensen, and Azpilicueta are all on expiring deals.

He might not think it ideal but I'd love to see him on a lower tier team and see what kind of spark he could give them. He needs to see the field, he's got the talent to start. At 23 there's no point in him sitting as often as he does.
Knucklesammich
fig96 said:

That sounds like an awesome experience, so cool that you got to do that.
It absolutely was can't wait to get back.
Knucklesammich
That's awesome!

I had a co-worker in 2019 go over for basically two nights/one day to watch Spurs play in a match. Found a cheap flight and took the plunge. Got to do it when you can.
tysker
AG
Havent listened/watched the guys in long while but a Pulisic move from Chelsea to Everton would make for some fun segments for Rog and Davo
fig96
AG

carl spacklers hat
Just wanted to take a moment to say F*********CK MEXICO!!!

That is all. Carry on.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
jeffk
AG
If you haven't listened to Pulisic's interview from the USMNT presser earlier this week, it's pretty interesting. Lots of good talk about his status at Chelsea. Seems to me he's definitely frustrated and wants out. Chose his words carefully but also didn't pull punches.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

If you haven't listened to Pulisic's interview from the USMNT presser earlier this week, it's pretty interesting. Lots of good talk about his status at Chelsea. Seems to me he's definitely frustrated and wants out. Chose his words carefully but also didn't pull punches.

Doesn't everyone except Mount want out?
oh no
AG
Mount and Hudson-Odoi have been in the Chelsea academy since they were both young boys. Pressure to play them. Pulisic, Ziyech, Havertz, Werner, and Lukaku were expensive transfers. Pressure to play them too, but those transfers were under previous manager and at least two of them, Lukaku and Pulisic, have been visibly unhappy.
fig96
AG
I don't know that Lukaku has ever not been unhappy.
theNetSmith
AG
No Pepi in the starting XI?
jeffk
AG
Go to the game thread.
theNetSmith
AG
Oh fine. No need to get worked up.
oragator
Costa Rica just scored against Panama.
1-0 and getting late.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Cmon Costa Rica....hang on.

DeangeloVickers
AG
My goodness

A header off the cross bar by Panama
DeangeloVickers
AG
Through 9 matches

Canada 19
USA 18
Mexico 17
Jamaica 7
El Salvador 6
Honduras 3
aggietony2010
AG
Costa Rica hangs on
oragator
Costa Rica did hold on. Good news and maybe bad news for the US, I was hoping for a tie.

Standings:

CANADA 19
US 18
Mexico 17
Panama 14
Costa Rica 12

So we are now 4 points clear of fourth and still host Panama. But it increases the odds that Costa Rica will have something to play for when we go down there for our last match.
tysker
AG
Similar to the scenario that made Jon Bornstein a household name in Panama? (Assuming I'm remembering my qualifying history correctly)
fig96
AG
Close, Honduras
fig96
AG
And there's never a bad time to share this...

tysker
AG
Thx. I had a similar reaction to the Honduran broadcasters watching SK and Portugal back in 2002
PatAg
AG
fig96 said:

And there's never a bad time to share this...

I remember a very hoarse "yonathan Bornstein, i love you"
oh no
AG
Honduras in the 8th spot can't be overlooked. The first half own goal was very unlucky and they actually played very well in 2H and had several chances to equalize v Canada yesterday before Canada put in a goal of their own to go up 2 -nil. Alberth Elis is back with Honduras and he combined with Quioto were very dangerous the whole game.
Rudyjax
AG
Canada is going to win the region. They have a good team AND they play really well together, unlike our team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.