***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,329 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
aggiephoenix02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If we lose this next game, all the trust Gregg has rightfully earned is thrown out and his head is on the chopping block...
PatAg
AG
This is the problem, Greggg didn't earn trust this summer. He got results, and built up the culture of the squad. Great.
Tactically, it was very concerning and we are continuiing to see more of the same this qualifying window.
It's completely reasonable to ask questions of Greggg in addition to expecting more of certain players. Other players are who they are, and to put them in a spot that requires more than they can deliver is foolish.
aggiephoenix02
Other than winning both tournaments, and winning cups, remind me what Gregg did to lose trust? Or are you saying he started the gig with no trust?

He has done nothing to lose trust until these past two games. That is of course unless you lost trust base on HOW he accomplished all the goals... Which of course he did in fact accomplish...
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

It's definitely a frustrating result, but some of the hysterics are a bit over the top (from pundits and fans alike).

Histrionics aside, history (see what I just did) says 1.5 points per match gets you qualified. 14 matches makes 21 points in the Ocho. Drop a deuce in Honduras and you are sitting at 2 points with 11 left to play. To get to 21 they would need to average almost 2 points per. The margin of error would be just about gone. It's not panic time but losing Wednesday would start the sweat dripping.

The point distribution does make sense, but not all our windows are of equal difficulty. I thought we'd take maybe four points from this first one. If we're still behind pace after window two, then I'll personally start rocking myself to sleep while wearing my Beckerman jersey which I need to wash because folks in the supporters section threw beer all over last night.

Look at you subtly bragging on being at the stadium and all.

How were the natives? Restless at the end or just drunk enough to be nasty?
aggiephoenix02
Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

It's definitely a frustrating result, but some of the hysterics are a bit over the top (from pundits and fans alike).

Histrionics aside, history (see what I just did) says 1.5 points per match gets you qualified. 14 matches makes 21 points in the Ocho. Drop a deuce in Honduras and you are sitting at 2 points with 11 left to play. To get to 21 they would need to average almost 2 points per. The margin of error would be just about gone. It's not panic time but losing Wednesday would start the sweat dripping.

The point distribution does make sense, but not all our windows are of equal difficulty. I thought we'd take maybe four points from this first one. If we're still behind pace after window two, then I'll personally start rocking myself to sleep while wearing my Beckerman jersey which I need to wash because folks in the supporters section threw beer all over last night.

On tv it seemed the fans were pissed at the officiating, and rightfully so!

That ref was ass, my dude...
PatAg
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Other than winning both tournaments, and winning cups, remind me what Gregg did to lose trust? Or are you saying he started the gig with no trust?

He has done nothing to lose trust until these past two games. That is of course unless you lost trust base on HOW he accomplished all the goals... Which of course he did in fact accomplish...
I just meant that he didn't build trust with this summer. We played extremely conservatively (poorly) tactically and just relied on playing solid defense and hoping something happened the few chances we created.

I thought the same of him after the tournaments as I did before them, other than that he definitely knows how to get players to buy in to the culture.

Again, these are my opinions, im not saying you are wrong for having your own.
I think when it comes to the build up to qualifying, how we accomplished the results probably should have been focused on more when evaluating this summer after it was over.

I'm not sure that Greggg has the humility to make any real changes to how we play, and if you read his quotes after the game, he doesnt think they were wrong.
aggiephoenix02
So the results don't matter as much as how they are attempted to be accomplished? Bizarre...
jeffk
AG
It was a lot of fun! Sounded good from in the midst of the AO, but I haven't watched a replay to see if it came through on the broadcast. Nashville seems really cool, but the stadium itself is kind of a dump. Although, the hot chicken I got from the concessions was surprisingly good.

We were all over the moon for about seven minutes there.
PatAg
AG
From The Athletic

"Berhalter didn't make a sub until the 83rd minute 10 minutes after Canada equalized. When questioned about this afterward, Berhalter made a statement that he didn't see anyone performing poorly enough to be subbed...
"With substitutes, we are looking at who is not performing up to standard," Berhalter explained. "Who is off the game? We felt with our attacking players, Jordan was still being somewhat effective with his physicality. Brenden was one of our better players with his tenacity and his counter-pressing. Then it was balancing with who we thought we could bring on."

I think I remember someone pointing this out, but he was basically just attempting to make like-for-like subs, instead of bringing on players that would enable us to attack Canada in a different way.
PatAg
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

So the results don't matter as much as how they are attempted to be accomplished? Bizarre...
I don't think being primarily result oriented is the right approach to most thing.

WCQ the results do matter the most, but you can still evaluate how you are getting the results to improve your play in the future.

Friendlies and tournaments that ultimately dont matter, I would say HOW you are playing tactically matters as much (if not more) than winning said tournaments. Especially if they are just 1-2 months before WCQ starts.

This was in terms of how we evaluate the team, I may have not made that clear enough.
jeffk
AG
Biggest problem we had last night was the two players I actually think can help us break through a low block like Canada was in were McKennie and Reyna.
Seven Costanza
AG
What's the backstory on spelling his name with extra G's every time?
aggiephoenix02
Yeah, that was pitiful on his part, and it was painful to have to watch the seconds tick away. It felt like World Cup '22 slipping out of our grasp with each passing minute.

I sure hope he has it in himself to see his own shortcomings. I'm not sure he does though...
Rudyjax
AG
His parents were hippies.

I guess.
PatAg
AG
Seven Costanza said:

What's the backstory on spelling his name with extra G's every time?
His actual name is Gregg Berhalter, and some people were poking fun at that by doing which I thought was funny. I imagine everyone else is the same. Some go with GGG
Mathguy64
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

On tv it seemed the fans were pissed at the officiating, and rightfully so!

That ref was ass, my dude...

Meh. It was a typical CONCACAF match. Every other country knows exactly how to play these matches and make the most of how it's going to be called. Canada played it perfectly. For some reason the USMNT seems to ignore this tactic and always tries to play it straight. Maybe we should get off our high horse and get down in the gutter every now and then.
aggiephoenix02
PatAg said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

I don't think being primarily result oriented is the right approach to most thing.

WCQ the results do matter the most, but you can still evaluate how you are getting the results to improve your play in the future.

Friendlies and tournaments that ultimately dont matter, I would say HOW you are playing tactically matters as much (if not more) than winning said tournaments. Especially if they are just 1-2 months before WCQ starts.

This was in terms of how we evaluate the team, I may have not made that clear enough.

I'm sure his winning the tournaments makes it even harder to for him to critically evaluate his coaching strategies.

Maybe we'd be better off right now if we had lost those tournaments...
PatAg
AG
I'm not personally about to jump off a ledge like it seems people on Twitter are, and I still feel very confident this team will qualify in 1st or 2nd.

Rudyjax
AG
I thought that ref was good overall. He played advantage which led to our goal.

And I think we score if Adam's doesn't hit that guy for no reason.
aggiephoenix02
PatAg said:

I'm not personally about to jump off a ledge like it seems people on Twitter are, and I still feel very confident this team will qualify in 1st or 2nd.

I wish I had your confidence. The last cycle broke me down, sorta like coach Fran in regards to Aggie Football back in the day...
PatAg
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

PatAg said:

I wish I had your confidence. The last cycle broke me down, sorta like coach Fran in regards to Aggie Football back in the day...
It lurks in the back of the mind, of course.
PatAg
AG
This comes from an FC Dallas supporter but..

We should call up Jesus Ferreira and start Pepi up top with Ferrerira as a sort of withdrawn forward or advanced central mid. They have been tearing it up the last couple months, and have great synergy right now.
deadbq03
AG
Furlock Bones said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

I trust Gregg. He has earned that trust this summer.

But the ish hit the fan LONG ago. We didn't make it last cycle, that right there is enough to justify ANY criticism and all the sky is falling attitudes...

I'm not sure Gregg earned much trust. More that he dug himself a little ways out of the hole. Trophies in meaningless competitions are all well and good and I loved beating Mexico twice.

But Berhalter was hired after US Soccer biggest failure. Then instead of making the tough changes. Us soccer with the help of former athletes promoted the second in charge. Then the COO hires his brother who had a dubious record before the appointment.

So, until the USMNT officially qualify, all criticism is more than warranted. And if we lose on Wednesday, us soccer should be answering questions on Berhalter's future.
I'm late to the dead-horse-beating, but this is exactly how I feel.
aggiephoenix02
Who's gonna get the ball to them?
deadbq03
AG
Assume I've been living in a cave - why wasn't Hoppe called up? Letting him settle in at his new club?
jeffk
AG
Yeah, trying to get him a better club spot.
PatAg
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Who's gonna get the ball to them?
Ferreira would be one of the midfielders that can get on the ball and turn and progress it on the dribble in addition to hitting the progressive pass. In my mind, he would be the guy that has good off the ball movement, and does show for Brooks/Robinson and the other midfielders. He also has the ability to be dangerous around the box, and be a threat to score from range.

He's just in really good form right now is most of it, and has been a part of national team camps this year so Gregg is at least familiar with him.

Also there is a 1% chance it would happen, was just a random thought
Mathguy64
AG
I'm with @JeffK. It's really hard to break down a low block. That's why Fat Sam keeps getting rehired by EPL teams. We could have used Reyna opposite CP10. It was just bad luck that his hammy was on ice. We also really could have used McKennie to distribute. That was really bad judgement and he's got to learn that lesson right now. You would have thought a year with CR7 would have taught him how to be a pro.
jeffk
AG
Hope Weston had a fun time the other night.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
And some off the ball movement and pushing the ball down the field into the 1/2 spaces would be nice. Instead we use Brooks as our distributor in the final third. He's pretty good at it but it shouldn't fall to him.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
aggiephoenix02
Ugh, that sucks...
gougler08
AG
Wtf did Mckennie do to get benched for 2 games?
Mathguy64
AG
What a dumbass. Something tells me it was more than just being late to a team meeting or missing a bus.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
So, Berhalter has called in a 3rd string GK and Jackson Yueill.

I'm out on him. I don't know what the strategy/grand vision is in his head, but I don't see it at all. We've won some games based on effort and fortuitous goals. We haven't really threatened with consistency.

He has taken in the first two games and decided the answer is.Jackson Yueill. I don't get it at all.
Furlock Bones
AG
For ****s sake

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.