***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,312 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wonder how many of those English based players are actually English with Jamaican parents or grandparents like Robbie Earle.
jeffk
AG
oh no said:

Thanks for that post.

I had no idea Jamaica had that much quality on the roster. Thought they just had 3-4 in England.

Yeah, they got smoked by the "red list" rule in the first window.
akm91
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I wonder how many of those English based players are actually English with Jamaican parents or grandparents like Robbie Earle.
Probably no more than the number of German American's on the USMNT in the years past.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
akm91 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Probably no more than the number of German American's on the USMNT in the years past.
It feels like it's becoming fewer and fewer, but maybe it's just fewer Germans (down to just Brooks when it used to be several).

Our recently rostered / current regularly featured players that were born/raised overseas that I can think of: Brooks, Dest, Antonee Robinson, Pefok, Gioacchini, Konrad (moved to Spain at 10 yrs old)

aged out/ fading? Tyler Boyd, Aron Johannnsson, Fabian Johnson, Julian Green

possible upcoming? CCV, Otasowie, Erik Palmer-Brown, Johnny Cardoso - that's three in England and one in Brazil. Zero in Germany? I'm sure I'm missing many others.

Perhaps German women stopped being inseminated by US soldiers stationed over there? ...or with Jurgen Klinsmann gone, USMNT isn't scouting as much or selling themselves as much over there?

Regardless, it sure feels like the player pool has shifted from some combination of MLS/American born & raised players plus some foreign born dual citizens (historically more German) to a whole bunch of MLS academy / American raised kids who were exported to Europe - and that is really encouraging - Pulisic, Reyna, Adams, McKennie, Sargent, Aaronson, Cannon, Busio, Richards and more and more Americans continue to make moves overseas. Great sign for the future of the USMNT.
JJxvi
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Michail Antonio, Dillon Barnes, Ethan Pinnock, Liam Moore, Bobby-Decordova-Reid, Andre Gray, Jamal Lowe, Kemar Roofe were all born in England.
akm91
AG
The change is that US now has a viable domestic league and development infrastructure that produces enough talent to propel the national team without being overly reliant on dual nationals.

Interesting enough, the MLS is also helping other CONCACAAF countries as well.

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

The change is that US now has a viable domestic league and development infrastructure that produces enough talent to propel the national team without being overly reliant on dual nationals.

Interesting enough, the MLS is also helping other CONCACAAF countries as well.

Definitely helping Canada.
gig_this
Anyone want 4 tix to Thursday's game against Jamaica in Austin? Paid $125 each and would like to get that if possible. Sec 106, row 15.
jeffk
AG
gougler08
AG
That doesn't suck for us
aggiephoenix02
gougler08 said:

That doesn't suck for us
At this point I'll take 3 points any way we can get them...
This message brought to you by the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President.
Rudyjax
AG
gougler08 said:

That doesn't suck for us

It's not like our 2 best players aren't out.
fig96
AG
I've got an extra ticket for the match tomorrow night, great seats (9 rows off the field on the 18). $150 for the seat which is face, drop me a line if you're interested.
TamuKid
AG
Just bought a pair of tickets to go with my 7 year old boy. So excited now!
aggiephoenix02
TamuKid said:

Just bought a pair of tickets to go with my 7 year old boy. So excited now!
Big ups, Dad, that's awesome! I hope y'all have an amazing time!
This message brought to you by the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President.
fig96
AG
Transfer rumors:

Pulisic to Bayern

McKennie to West Ham

Pepi to Ajax (100% behind this one for him and any other young USA attackers)
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

Transfer rumors:

Pulisic to Bayern

McKennie to West Ham

Theres always smoke but man it takes a long time to get the fire.
jessexy
AG
Watch out for Shamar Nicholson for Jamaica, now that Antonio is out. He's been in great form for Charleroi.
fig96
AG
Yup, though I'd bet the farm on a Pepi move. Just a matter of where, but good chance he'll be the most expensive homegrown in MLS history.
Mathguy64
AG
fig96 said:

Transfer rumors:

Pulisic to Bayern

McKennie to West Ham

Most sure fire way to become a world class player? Play for Chelsea and get transferred elsewhere. I for one look forward to CP's ascension as a world class player.
jeffk
AG
Game thread is live.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

Yup, though I'd bet the farm on a Pepi move. Just a matter of where, but good chance he'll be the most expensive homegrown in MLS history.

He said today all the rumors are true. All those teams are contacting him.
aggiephoenix02
Three more points for the good guys. Now let's root for Canada get a win or tie in El Azteca...
oragator
Again, Mexico is going to the World Cup. I want them to win tonight, that puts three points between us and Canada who is much more legit than in past cycles.

Edit: not gonna cry though if Mexico loses!
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Three more points for the good guys. Now let's root for Canada get a win or tie in El Azteca...

I think at this point, it's mathmatically better to cheer for El Tri to rack up tons of points (against everyone but USA of course).
MB19
AG
And Mexico take a lead vs Canada in the 21st minute.
aggiephoenix02
oragator said:

Again, Mexico is going to the World Cup. I want them to win tonight, that puts three points between us and Canada who is much more legit than in past cycles.
I want Mexico to lose every game. Lose every game by a score of 2-0.

You get it yet?!?!

F' Mexico...

F' La Raza...

F' illegals...
aggiephoenix02
Honduras and Costa Rica just tied...
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
I finally figure out who Matt Turner reminds me of. It's Richard (main character) on Silicon Valley.
aggiephoenix02
Canada equalizes in the 43rd minute...
MB19
AG
Canucks equalize!
aggiephoenix02
Ochoa blew 5 dudes in Europe...
oh no
AG
That's actually bad if those hosers get a point at Azteca, right?
aggiephoenix02
oh no said:

That's actually bad if those hosers get a point at Azteca, right?
Not bad at all, not even a little bit bad, quite the opposite actually...

Edit: The only thing that could make it better is if the angry Mexicans start stabbing each other in the parking lot after the game...
deadbq03
AG
This is perhaps the post-win koolaid talking, but I think we qualify on our own merit, so I'd love to see Mexico taken down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.