***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,311 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Steffen woof.

wangus12
AG
Confirms what I said last night. Steffan is definitely at the bottom of the GK stack for the US imo.

Will be interesting to see if Turner can keep his performances up moving from a starting job to a backup role at Arsenal
TXCityAggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Yeah we should, but it would be the 4th World Cup in a row to play Ghana and 3rd time in 4 that we've had them in our group. I'd rather have a new opponent
I think we played in the round of 16 in 2010, but they were in our group in 2006 and 2014.
akm91
AG
Someone send that tweet to Berhalter ASAP
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aston94
AG
Next fall will be really interesting on the GK front.

Steffen needs to leave city this summer on a transfer and loan and get starter minutes. Turner might be sitting a lot, so he needs Arsenal to make Champions league and get more games as the back up at Arsenal. If Horvath continues to look good in his first team minutes at Forest then he could be in the running as well.

Starter will be all about who is playing often and well in the fall.
PatAg
AG
nm
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

Next fall will be really interesting on the GK front.

Steffen needs to leave city this summer on a transfer and loan and get starter minutes. Turner might be sitting a lot, so he needs Arsenal to make Champions league and get more games as the back up at Arsenal. If Horvath continues to look good in his first team minutes at Forest then he could be in the running as well.

Starter will be all about who is playing often and well in the fall.
I completely agree with all of this.
I was fine with Turner staying in the MLS this year to be ready for the World Cup, but its obviously hard to turn down when Arsenal comes calling.
So if he isn't going to win the starting job, and isn't loaned out, then its a big risk he wont be in form for the World Cup
deadbq03
AG
I'd love to see pass completion between the two. Steffin is theoretically better, but I certainly didn't see it.
Aston94
AG
deadbq03 said:

I'd love to see pass completion between the two. Steffin is theoretically better, but I certainly didn't see it.
Steffen is much better with his feet. Much better. He tries things Turner doesn't, but he is a lot better of an outlet. Turner cost us the Canada game with poor distribution.

I love Turner, but distribution is definitely a plus for Steffen.
jeffk
AG
Generally that's true, but Steffen had some pretty shakey passing moments as well. Overall he just looked rusty. Reactions slow, positioning bad, distribution was not sharp either.
Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

Generally that's true, but Steffen had some pretty shakey passing moments as well. Overall he just looked rusty. Reactions slow, positioning bad, distribution was not sharp either.
Oh I agree, he was by no means perfect and looks like someone who hasn't played much the last few years, but his footskills and passing are better than Turner's.
jeffk
AG
Especially since Turner got frostbite and had to have his foot amputated.
deadbq03
AG
Aston94 said:

jeffk said:

Oh I agree, he was by no means perfect and looks like someone who hasn't played much the last few years, but his footskills and passing are better than Turner's.
Skills no doubt, but decision-making was poor.

I did feel a better about him fielding back passes compared to Turner but that's about the only place his skills seemed to transfer… perhaps Turner was better about just distributing safely so he wouldn't write checks his feet couldn't cash whereas Steffin tried riskier crap that often failed.
fig96
AG
A one footed Matt Turner is better than 96% of the keepers out there.
wangus12
AG
I know in the new era of trying to play out of the back (and supplying ample footage for that one Twitter account) its important to be good with your feet. However at the end of the day the GK needs to be a shot stopper. Turner is way better than Steffan in that regard as well as cross collection and command of his penalty area. Steffan seems too hesitant to come out for crosses half the time.
PatAg
AG
I definitely see Steffen hit some passes that are exceptional, so I see where people that do evaluations see him as an increase.
I also see him mi**** and mishandle, and is often a little to lackadaiscal with the ball, so Turner may not be hitting that progressive pass but he also is often not making the big mistake that Steffen would.
and I think its pretty clear that Turner has a noticeable advantage at shotstopping.

I would be ok if Steffen is decided to start in World Cup games, but right now I disagree with him being the #1.
PatAg
AG
Excerpt from an article by Brian Sciretta
"In the 59th minute, the Ticos put the game out of reach with another goal from a scramble after a set piece. Steffen punched a ball into the box away, but it didn't get far enough away. He was forced to make another quick save which he also did not push out of danger. The rebound went a cross the box and a low cross went through a slew of American defenders before finding Anthony Contreras at the back post for a close finish."

That first sentence is an example of what we are talking about, and also I think an example of not just blindly trusting anything you see someone covering soccer writing.
Steffen didnt punch that cross away, he fumbled his catch on it.
He should have been going to punch it, considering the traffic that was around it in the box.
Aston94
AG
deadbq03 said:

Aston94 said:

jeffk said:

I did feel a better about him fielding back passes compared to Turner but that's about the only place his skills seemed to transfer… perhaps Turner was better about just distributing safely so he wouldn't write checks his feet couldn't cash whereas Steffin tried riskier crap that often failed.
Turner's distribution literally caused the first goal by Canada. I am not sure how you could be worse than that.

cruzdoggie
AG
I think Steffen has plenty of shaky moments in distribution and he seems to be good for one head-scratching play with his feet per game, even with City. That second goal sequence summed up exactly how I feel about him. He seems to casual and that makes him sloppy at times. Turner or even Horvath with more chances and playing time are who I want going to Qatar. If Steffen is still on the bench at City during the fall, hopefully we are able to leave him there.
bagger05
AG
I haven't watched him play that much, but from what I've seen he looks like he's trying to look cool. Every play he makes seems very dramatic. I would much rather have a keeper who makes great plays look boring than a keeper who makes boring plays look great.

As I said this is from watching him play a handful of games and I could be way off. Just my impressions.
cruzdoggie
AG
Exactly how I feel but have tried to watch every game he plays in the last couple years. Hasn't changed much and honestly seems to be getting worse. Maybe I just feel that way because we have other good options finally?

ETA
The "looking cool" thing is what I worry about as far as him sitting on the bench goes. If he doesn't start, is he going to be a locker room issue?
Thunder18
AG
I would like to see Horvath get a game early on in the friendly cycle, Steffen has never been impressive to me
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

deadbq03 said:

Aston94 said:

jeffk said:

Turner's distribution literally caused the first goal by Canada. I am not sure how you could be worse than that.

Was that not a goal kick that he mi*****
And it still required 3-4 field players to get beat, so its not like he played a backpass to him wrong and that player scored
Aston94
AG
PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

deadbq03 said:

Aston94 said:

jeffk said:

And it still required 3-4 field players to get beat, so its not like he played a backpass to him wrong and that player scored
I am not sure your point on it being a goal kick. So if he cannot properly distribute on a free kick I am supposed to feel better about him when someone is running at him and pressuring the pass?

And yes, it is a team game, but the defense was not in proper position because we were spread out for distribution.

I love Matt turner, I do, but he isn't as good with the ball at his feet as Steffen is, that was my only point.

PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

deadbq03 said:

Aston94 said:

jeffk said:

I am not sure your point on it being a goal kick. So if he cannot properly distribute on a free kick I am supposed to feel better about him when someone is running at him and pressuring the pass?

And yes, it is a team game, but the defense was not in proper position because we were spread out for distribution.

I love Matt turner, I do, but he isn't as good with the ball at his feet as Steffen is, that was my only point.

I just meant I didnt really consider goal kicks what people usually mean when they talk about distribution, but you are for sure right about needing to worry about him with the ball at his feet.
B$Weigem
AG
bagger05 said:

I haven't watched him play that much, but from what I've seen he looks like he's trying to look cool. Every play he makes seems very dramatic. I would much rather have a keeper who makes great plays look boring than a keeper who makes boring plays look great.

As I said this is from watching him play a handful of games and I could be way off. Just my impressions.
My take as well. Steffen thinks he gets style points. Give me a keeper who is fundamentally sound.
KCup17
AG
The USMNT and USWNT agreed to a new CBA's which resulted in Equal Pay. Included an equal split of World Cup bonus'. I wonder what the effect will be moving forward.

Not intending to be political just a reporting of something that effects the USMNT and the World Cup.
aggiephoenix02
What a bunch of spoiled *****es. **** the USWNT…
Furlock Bones
AG
Robbing Christian to pay Alex. Literally.
Furlock Bones
AG
Listening to United States of soccer. Chief legal officer for us soccer federation basically told the men that there would be no new CBAs for women or men unless they agreed. So the women filed a bull**** lawsuit and still got what they wanted.
AG@RICE
AG
KCup17 said:

The USMNT and USWNT agreed to a new CBA's which resulted in Equal Pay. Included an equal split of World Cup bonus'. I wonder what the effect will be moving forward.

Not intending to be political just a reporting of something that effects the USMNT and the World Cup.
My prediction is that the NWSL will fold.

The NWSL is not a league that can support itself, there simply isn't a strong enough market. They were getting a pretty nice kick back from the federation to pay their top 60 players. Now they have to find that money in ticket revenue...its not there.

The elite USWNT players were already double dipping. They were taking the federation/NSWL money, then playing in europe in the offseason. As the salaries of the NSWL decay, more US talent will choose to stay in europe.
wangus12
AG
Yep and the European teams are really picking up steam because they're almost all attached to men's clubs. Their leagues are growing in revenue as more and more fans are starting to go to women's games over there and the teams themselves are also supported by the men's side as well.
KCup17
AG
Which to me is the model that should be replicated. If I'm not mistaken I think that is what the Dynamo and Dash do.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
No effect on USMNT if USSF is paying them enough to make the risk of national team duty worth the reward.

For USWNT, this looks like it means the guaranteed pool of players on salary goes away. There isn't much by way of options to get paid to play soccer so I suspect a lot of the "older" players that were chasing the USWNT brass ring will hang it up. As for the younger players, the ones that can get signed with a European squad attached to a big club will stick around and hope to get the big money call-ups from USWNT.

All told, I think the long term effect of this will drive the average age of USWNT teams WAY WAY WAY down. Which is a good thing because while the previous iteration of the USWNT was busy cashing checks as "Disney on Ice" the rest of the world was busy catching up in terms of player development and talent.
tysker
AG
Attaching the women's teams to an established men's team seems like the only effective way to decrease expenses and infrastructure overhead. Plus in Europe, travel costs for matches has to be less than in the US

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.