***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

192,779 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rudyjax
AG
TXCityAggie said:

Aye Davanita said:

Aston94 said:

Solomon Islands v. New Zealand is today at noon. Winner of that game will take on 4th place Concacaf team for WC spot.
Damn, that'd be cool for a country of less than 1mm going to the World cup or at least the play in. Unlikely, but cool af.
Iceland made it in 2018 with a population of like 400,000...if that.
Yeah, that's about the size of solomon. All moot thou.
Bryan98
AG
Mission accomplished!
bagger05
AG
Probably the last stressful qualification for a while. Assume we will get a guaranteed spot in 26.

And even if not it will be easier.

How many spots will CONCACAF get in the 48 team format? I'd guess 5 or 5.5?
oh no
AG
EOT?
aggiebird02
oh no said:

EOT?
jeffk needs to start a World Cup thread and a USA World Cup thread…
aggiebird02
bagger05 said:

Probably the last stressful qualification for a while. Assume we will get a guaranteed spot in 26.

And even if not it will be easier.

How many spots will CONCACAF get in the 48 team format? I'd guess 5 or 5.5?
I heard 6…
oragator
aggiebird02
Thanks!

Edit: I hope we draw Belgium. Payback mutha ****as!
aggiebird02
Also, we're gonna avoid a lot of good teams that are with us in pod 2.

I'll say it… pod 2 is the pod of death
PatAg
AG
I'm not even sure who I want to face.
I'd like to finally play some new countries in the World Cup, but I feel like we are probably getting England or Ghana in group play somehow
aggiebird02
I truly don't care about our draw, as long as Ghana is as far away from us as possible.

I'm glad we won't play Germany again…
oragator
A friend of mine texted me tonight and said "other than Ghana, I wonder who will be in our group".
boogieman
AG
They're not Ghana do that to us again, are they?

....I'll see myself out.
monarch
S
So what was the final in tonight's game? I turned the TV off when Costa Rica went up 2-nil.
Peace for Ukraine!
boogieman
AG
2-0 CR
aggiebird02
Hey, guys, remember that one time when we beat Mexico 2-0 and knocked them out of the World Cup?

Btw, when was the last time Mexico beat us outside of a friendly game?
PatAg
AG
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2022/03/road-to-qatar-the-usmnt-timeline-to-the-2022-fifa-world-cup
PatAg
AG
Clubs release players Novermber 14 for the world cup...the world cup starts november 21...what?
oh no
AG
I suppose this WC is a different animal since Qatar is in Nov-Dec in the middle of club seasons instead of July when leagues in most countries, save USA/MLS, are on break.

I've been to the Middle East in November. It was wonderful. I've also been in June. It was hell on earth hot.

How long were club breaks / national team camps typically for other recent world cups?

I assume there will be several national team breaks for mini camps and friendlies over the next 8 months so the teams participating will be able to sort through their player pools and build depth, chemistry, etc. in preparation.
theNetSmith
AG
oragator said:

TRM
AG
I could swear for South Africa we had a 3 or 4 week camp. I don't remember for Brazil.
Pahdz
PatAg said:

Clubs release players Novermber 14 for the world cup...the world cup starts november 21...what?

MLS playoffs will still be going on probably
wangus12
AG
Summer World Cups usually starts 2nd Friday of June. Most domestic leagues (in Europe anyways) are finished by mid-May and the Champions League Final is usually ~ May 20th or so. Players typically have a couple of weeks to get together as a team, travel & train before the World Cup.

Its not feasible for Qatar because it interrupts most of the domestic leagues by cutting a month out of their normal schedules. Now most World Cups last almost exactly 1 month or a day or two over. This one will last 27 days so there is less recovery time built in.

Club teams (in EPL) are starting one week earlier but will be at Match Week 16 when they stop for the World Cup, which is a month ahead of where they'd usually be. About 5 extra matches crammed into that 1 week head start. They are also cramming in all CL group stage games into that time period as well so they'll be playing every week rather than every 2 weeks.

As of right now, there are only 2 scheduled international breaks between now and the World Cup. One this summer (May 30th-June 14th) & one in early fall (Sept 19-27). Its gonna be tough for international teams to do any other training because there simply isn't time available. You have to give these guys the back half of June/early July to get some recovery time from the current season.

This World Cup is going to cost multiple teams/players (both club & national level) big time because of injuries. Just another one of the many ways FIFA ****ed up.
gambochaman
AG
facts
jeffk
AG
Yeah, basically all leagues will be operating their normal busy holiday schedule the full fall to squeeze everything in to a reasonable season calendar. It'll be wild as teams try to rest and rotate and players pick up injuries here or there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mexico!

Excited both teams are in.
young eugene
AG
I'll be that person. Shouldn't we want to draw Ghana?? They are the lowest rated team to make the WC so far.

Also, since Canada and Costa Rica (likely) will be in pot 4 we have a higher change to draw Ghana anyway.
wangus12
AG
Yeah we should, but it would be the 4th World Cup in a row to play Ghana and 3rd time in 4 that we've had them in our group. I'd rather have a new opponent
EastSideAg2002
Would you take Ghana if we got Qatar out of pot A?
AustinScubaAg
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

Would you take Ghana if we got Qatar out of pot A?
Do you even need to ask.
Not a Bot
AG
In case anyone is curious, the draw will be broadcast on FIFA.com and Peacock in the US.
PatAg
AG
WE ARE GOING TO QATAR
WE ARE GOING TO QATAR
WE ARE GOING
WE ARE GOING
WE ARE GOING TO QATAR

Song doesn't work if you use the 'correct' pronounciation and not how it is generally said on TV, lol
PatAg
AG
wangus12 said:

Summer World Cups usually starts 2nd Friday of June. Most domestic leagues (in Europe anyways) are finished by mid-May and the Champions League Final is usually ~ May 20th or so. Players typically have a couple of weeks to get together as a team, travel & train before the World Cup.

Its not feasible for Qatar because it interrupts most of the domestic leagues by cutting a month out of their normal schedules. Now most World Cups last almost exactly 1 month or a day or two over. This one will last 27 days so there is less recovery time built in.

Club teams (in EPL) are starting one week earlier but will be at Match Week 16 when they stop for the World Cup, which is a month ahead of where they'd usually be. About 5 extra matches crammed into that 1 week head start. They are also cramming in all CL group stage games into that time period as well so they'll be playing every week rather than every 2 weeks.

As of right now, there are only 2 scheduled international breaks between now and the World Cup. One this summer (May 30th-June 14th) & one in early fall (Sept 19-27). Its gonna be tough for international teams to do any other training because there simply isn't time available. You have to give these guys the back half of June/early July to get some recovery time from the current season.

This World Cup is going to cost multiple teams/players (both club & national level) big time because of injuries. Just another one of the many ways FIFA ****ed up.
This may be captain obvious, but it makes it that much more important that Gregg keeps working to bring in and evaluate new players in addition to the current players involved in qualifying.

Especially given all the injury issues we have had the last year, but also because I think the roster could still be improved in many spots.
TRM
AG
I know it's broadcast on FS1. Surprised it's on Peacock since they don't have USA-English language World Cup Tv rights.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.