***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,339 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
why is Dest out? He was rostered at Barca for CL match on Tuesday, so he must be fit.
TamuKid
AG
oh no said:

why is Dest out? He was rostered at Barca for CL match on Tuesday, so he must be fit.
Lower Back Injury.

Sam Vines is back and has played full 90 the last two Antwerp matches.
I'd like to see him get called back up.
TamuKid
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

jeffk said:

roster release day
Dest and Reyna are out.

Who else?
Not as impactful/first-rate; but recent callups who are injured, that I can think of:

Zardes
Eryk Williamson
Aaron Long
jeffk
AG
GOALKEEPERS
Sean Johnson (New York City FC), Zack Steffen (Manchester City), Matt Turner (New England Revolution)

DEFENDERS
Reggie Cannon (Boavista), Mark McKenzie (KRC Genk), Chris Richards (TSG Hoffenheim), Antonee Robinson (Fulham), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Sam Vines (Royal Antwerp), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC)

MIDFIELDERS
Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig), Gianluca Busio (Venezia), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Juventus), Yunus Musah (Valencia), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders)

FORWARDS
Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Jess Ferreira (FC Dallas), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Tim Weah (Lille)

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/11/04/usa-mexico-roster-world-cup-qualifying-usmnt-dest-pulisic
jeffk
AG
No Brooks is sort of surprising, but I'm not mad about it.
deadbq03
AG
So with Dest out, what are the chances we see Scally start? Is there precedence for players starting in WCQ on their first senior call up?

It's probably too big of a risk, but neither Yedlin or Robinson are exciting choices.
jeffk
AG
I'd say Robinson is the front-runner to start vs Mexico, but I'm an idiot.
TamuKid
AG
Jesus Ferreira … over Hoppe, Dike, Pefok, Sargent.

Interesting.

Like Vines over Bello or Ream.
Glad Scally is in.
No LDLT stinks; rather have one of Arriola/Roldan and add LDLT instead.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
deadbq03 said:

So with Dest out, what are the chances we see Scally start? Is there precedence for players starting in WCQ on their first senior call up?

It's probably too big of a risk, but neither Yedlin or Robinson are exciting choices.

I think A. Robinson is one of our best players right now. He's a locked starter in my mind at the moment. I imagine Yedlin gets the start at RB. Mexico in a home WCQ is just too big of a moment to start Scally IMO.

I don't like leaving Brooks off. His experience /talent level means he's a lock roster guy to me if healthy. If we are going to start leaving players off for "performance," Berhalter should start with guys like Roldan/Lletget/Bello/McKenzie etc. None of those guys have performed better than Brooks, and none have his stature.

I'll reserve judgment on Ferreira, but don't like leaving Hoppe/LDLT off this roster. I also think someone like Duane Holmes would be more useful than Roldan, but guess who's a lock roster guy.
TamuKid
AG
Seems wild there's one true #9 striker on this sheet.

Yeah Weah can do it and does 30-40% of the time with Lille. But every other forward is primarily a pure winger or a CAM.
oh no
AG
with Zardes out, we have Pepi and still no Sargent, Pefok, Dike, Soto... where are all the #9s?

RB: with no Dest and no Shaq we go Cannon, Yedlin, Scally?
LB: Antonee, Vines (no Bello or Dest), Scally has played some LB
CB: I'm ok with no Brooks - he's on the decline heading to Qatar.. Miles and Zimmer are a good pair and McKenzie and Richards need time with the camp and on the pitch as they'll be important in Qatar. I still think Miazga is one of our top options that still gets left out..

overall, I like the MFs, but I think I would have liked to see Roldan left off to add either Sargent or Pefok or Dike.

Why no Hoppe?
oh no
AG
anyone checked if Jamaica has all of their EPL players in for this window? They've missed some of their top guys in the Sept and Oct windows.
Pahdz
deadbq03 said:

Taking issue with Robinson? If there aren't 2 back line starters sharing that name we're not at our best.
PatAg
AG
TamuKid said:

Yeah Weah can do it and does 30-40% of the time with Lille. But every other forward is primarily a pure winger or a CAM.
Ferreira can play as a false 9, but he has been playing as more of a 10 (or second striker) underneath Pepi this year. They have both been playing excellently with this layout as well, so I'd rather see them play together than the same role.

Not having another traditional striker seems like we are just asking for Pepi to sustain an injury.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

Gregg Berhalter on omitting targetmen like Daryl Dike and Jordan Pefok: "We want dynamic movement in the penalty box, we're looking for guys that are running a little bit more. This window is a short window, we see Ricardo [Pepi] playing a large portion of these two games. So we're in a good spot."
TamuKid
AG
PatAg said:

TamuKid said:

Ferreira can play as a false 9, but he has been playing as more of a 10 (or second striker) underneath Pepi this year. They have both been playing excellently with this layout as well, so I'd rather see them play together than the same role.

Not having another traditional striker seems like we are just asking for Pepi to sustain an injury.
Yeah, Pepi probably doesn't need his minutes "managed" so to speak. He's young, energetic, in form, etc.
But it just leaves us with such limited options for starting XI's, managing minutes and injuries, and it just doesn't seem to fit GGG's typical system.

FCD plays like 90% a defensive 4-3-3 with Jesus as the CAM. He occasionally plays up top next to Pepi too (but not often, I don't think).
I like that him and Pepi have chemistry and familiarity.
But to play a defensive 4-3-3; you're essentially saying you're going to go with Jesus/Acosta (or Busio), in lieu of Mckennie/Musah. Maybe later in a game you go there as a tactic change?

I just think you need a second #9 moreso than both Roldan & Arriola (when you already have Puli, Weah, Aaronson, and Musah who can all play out wide).
PatAg
AG
It's being brought up a lot on Twitter, but you have to ask...if Brooks is being left out for performance, how are certain other players like Lletget being called in after their last performances
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
TamuKid said:

PatAg said:

TamuKid said:

Yeah, Pepi probably doesn't need his minutes "managed" so to speak. He's young, energetic, in form, etc.
But it just leaves us with such limited options for starting XI's, managing minutes and injuries, and it just doesn't seem to fit GGG's typical system.

FCD plays like 90% a defensive 4-3-3 with Jesus as the CAM. He occasionally plays up top next to Pepi too (but not often, I don't think).
I like that him and Pepi have chemistry and familiarity.
But to play a defensive 4-3-3; you're essentially saying you're going to go with Jesus/Acosta (or Busio), in lieu of Mckennie/Musah. Maybe later in a game you go there as a tactic change?

I just think you need a second #9 moreso than both Roldan & Arriola (when you already have Puli, Weah, Aaronson, and Musah who can all play out wide).

It's like Berhalter doesn't think Pepi getting injured is possible. And if he does, it's like he'd rather have Roldan/Arriola on the roster as extra (Unplayed) wingers than have someone like Hoppe or Sargent or Pefok as a backup 9. Hoppe seems like the worst omission in that sense. He could play winger or 9 for you.
TamuKid
AG
oh no said:

anyone checked if Jamaica has all of their EPL players in for this window? They've missed some of their top guys in the Sept and Oct windows.
I know Leon Bailey has played the last couple at Aston Villa. He's their best player, but has been out a while with an injury. He's a dynamic, fast, and dangerous on the wing. Michail Antonio of West Ham is back too after missing last window. Bobby Reid of Fulham is in the squad, another UK guy who rounds out their top three best players.
oh no
AG
Quote:

Hoppe seems like the worst omission in that sense. He could play winger or 9 for you.
Yes.

What does Roldan bring to the table?

With Lleget, I can be persuaded that our midfield options are limited. With Arriola, I can be persuaded that, although you'd like to see him finish more, he does a whole lot of other things well on the pitch in that position and his workrate helps the squad...

...but a spot for Roldan while leaving off Hoppe or another striker in case, heaven forbid, Pepi gets hurt or too gassed..

...and let's talk about that comment from Gregg about wanting "dynamic movement in the penalty box, we're looking for guys that are running a little bit more". We have one guy running his ass off in the English Premier League right now. Has he been watching Sargent's runs? He's on a bad team in the world's best league - he's not afforded the most finishing opportunities, but he's making all the runs at the highest level.
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

It's being brought up a lot on Twitter, but you have to ask...if Brooks is being left out for performance, how are certain other players like Lletget being called in after their last performances
That's a good question. The difference is that Lletget is probably maxxing his potential out there; whereas Brooks seems to be playing way below his best.

I wonder if the choice was partially/fully Brooks' decision.
deadbq03
AG
Pahdz said:

deadbq03 said:

Taking issue with Robinson? If there aren't 2 back line starters sharing that name we're not at our best.
Sorry I was a dummy and misspoke. Meant to say Cannon. No idea why I mixed them up. Robinson is definitely exciting… just wish he could cross the ball better.
fig96
AG
Agreed, Sargent is doing everything but showing up on the score sheet and that's probably due more to his team than him.

Not having just ANYONE else as a 9 on this roster seems like a big omission. And I know nothing about Scally but I'm all for getting more young attacking backs experience with the Nats.
BJM1781
AG
So tired of Berhalter bringing in Arriola and Roldan every window, when we have so many younger and better options available (as referenced in above comments). These guys bring very little to the table.

It's like he has a quota of MLS players he must include.
oh no
AG
alright well, the squad is set.

I imagine most of us would agree for the most part on our best XI in this squad.

Does the best XI start in Cincinnati vs Mexico? Do a couple of other guys get chances to start in Jamaica to help avoid injury, fatigue, yellow accumulation, etc.? Or, assuming both Mex and USA will qualify, those points will be very tough, we need to go all out and get the away points in Jamaica and play our best XI in the first match?

I imagine with Pulisic just coming back from injury in September, he could start and play in one match and not the other or maybe sub in both. Pepi being the only true striker is expected to start in both I suppose. I think your best CB pair and keeper play all of both matches - that would be Miles, Zimmer, and Turner, IMO, even though we all want more Richards.
oh no
AG
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
The problem is that I'm pretty sure Berhalter thinks Arriola is part of his Best XI. I bet he starts over Weah/Aaronson.

And if we are down 1 goal at the 70th minute, and I see Berhalter tab his guy Roldan as the super sub, I'm going to tear out my hair
PatAg
AG
I just don't get his roster selection, or player evaluation
TamuKid
AG
PatAg said:

I just don't get his roster selection, or player evaluation
I do. He values known commodities and experience over youth and potential.
My problem is, I don't agree with it.

I'd rather have:
LDLT for Lletget
Konrad for Roldan
Hoppe for Arriola

For example.

H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Except he just left off our most experienced CB (Brooks) for some reason?

It's like Berhalter is bored at the idea of just picking our best roster consistently, and just wants us to buy in to the idea that someone like Roldan is perfect for a particular role within this particular team that no one else other than him can see.

Why would McKenzie ever get called up ahead of Brooks if both are healthy? It literally makes NO sense.

And as I've said before, if Berhalter makes questionable subs or lineups, he'll say he's limited by the roster. HE PICKS THE ROSTER. If Pepi gets hurt, that doesn't give Berhalter an out to do something crazy like play his guy Roldan at striker. It means he should get fired for not carrying a backup 9!
KCup17
AG
Arriola at least brings something to the team. He has a high motor, gets stuck in, is quick, and presses high all over the field. His downfall is his finishing in front of goal. However Roldan is just a roster spot. He doesn't bring much when on the field.
KCup17
AG
I'm not sure if you've seen Brooks' performances recently but they have not been good. Potentially one of the reasons why he wasn't called in.
PatAg
AG
KCup17 said:

I'm not sure if you've seen Brooks' performances recently but they have not been good. Potentially one of the reasons why he wasn't called in.
He was playing well for his club since then..but again, if we are leaving players off based on form...then why are you calling in Lletget. He has not played well (for his own standards)
PatAg
AG
Overall, the team is pretty close to what I'd chose, and you can have a strong starting 11 if he chooses the right players.

We should be expecting 6 points out of this...you HAVE to win at home, and on the road against Jamaica should be a good opportunity for a road win.
oh no
AG
Brooks has played slow and lazy last couple times for USMNT. He's still the best at playing the ball out of the air, but such a huge liability with his lack of recovery speed. A younger CB like McKenzie with more pace is going to be one of those dudes that goes to Qatar and needs to be in camp with the 1st choice players every chance he gets.

...but Gregg is still calling Roldan... How does Hoppe's tenacity and physicality and the level he's playing at not translate to being more valuable than Roldan? Is Konrad fit? Has he been playing for club lately?

Pepi has come out with a bang and love him, but only one #9? Newsflash Gregg, you also have a #9 who just played and won a match in the Fing UEFA Champions League on Tuesday and another #9 who is playing full 90 in the Fing English Premier League!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.