***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,316 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
akm91 said:

I'm not sure that's entirely correct that Teuchel only thinks of Pulisic as super sub. Pulisic's injury issues have really forced Teuchel's hadn in how he's deploying Pulisic.

He has said many times how great Pulisic is as a super sub.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

oh no said:

I know. but my point remains - Sargent is currently getting more EPL minutes than Pulisic.
Do Norwich minutes really count as EPL minutes?

Against the top 17 of the table, yet.
KCup17
AG
True but will Norwich wait that long until they offload him? The current coach likes him as he is consistently starting but something needs to change for him to start gaining confidence.
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

True but will Norwich wait that long until they offload him? The current coach likes him as he is consistently starting but something needs to change for him to start gaining confidence.

He just needs a goal or two. Once that happens, I think he'll be fine. He's always had a nose for thd goal.
oh no
AG
Maybe Norwich will sell him, and I get that Norwich fans have been frustrated at times when he has had opportunities and failed to finish. Rightfully so, and USMNT fans already knew that about him... but what is he 20 years old? Tactically, I think he plays high-level smart decision making soccer with what the manager wants him to do. Technically, he has good turns and good touches and his coaches have all known from training that he's capable of finishing with all surfaces from different angles and speeds. Physically, he's tall enough to win balls in the air, strong enough to use his body for positioning vs highest level defenders, and clearly he's fit enough to make all the runs for full 90 - tracks back and defends very well for a center forward. I'm convinced all he needs a small string of good luck finding the net a couple of times and they will love him over there. I'm not convinced Norwich relegation, if they keep him, going from one of the weakest teams in EPL to strongest teams in Championship level, would be the worst thing for his development and confidence. It would likely present him with a lot more chances to finish. It's disappointing when he doesn't finish now, but he gets so very few chances on this squad for all the work he puts in.
PatAg
AG
Multiple things are true
Norwich is not a good team
Josh Sargent is getting minutes
Those minutes are mostly out of position
He has played ok to not very good
He would probably benefit from moving to another team and playing as a striker, even if its not Premier League.
fig96
AG
Fair. He's not finishing well, but neither is anyone else on his club not named Pukki.
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

Multiple things are true
He would probably benefit from moving to another team and playing as a striker, even if its not Premier League.
Or maybe he needs to retrain as a central defender?
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

PatAg said:

Multiple things are true
Or maybe he needs to retrain as a central defender?
I said that a year ago.
deadbq03
AG
Yeah there's was at least a shred of seriousness in my post. Looking at oh no's description of him above, I just can't help but think he's playing the wrong position.
PatAg
AG
In the Youth NT games he played, he was very good at 1-2 touch combinations, and had a knack for scoring.

In his time in Germany and then England, he has struggled to get consistent playing time as a striker, which a young player needs to fully round out their game. Learn to play back to goal, hold up the ball and bring the attack into the play. Learn to drift free of defenders in the box, or make incisive/well timed runs in the box..you need playing time to hone that part of your game, and he just hasn't regularly gotten it.

To be critical, he hasnt really proven he is worthy of more playing time IN the game time he has gotten, but I think he has still regularly shown the ability that got him signed in the first place. So I dont think he has regressed in skill either.

Sometimes its better to start in a lower league or lesser team but a better situation to get playing time.
akm91
AG
Sargent not even on the bench today.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

How in the hell did we post the same sentence at almost the exact same time.
Rudyjax
AG
I hope they lose 10-0.
oh no
AG
it's too bad because vs Aston Villa, they might actually have more scoring chances. ... I predict they still don't score more than 1 goal though. We all wanted Sargent to finish some chances, but he's not the main problem with Norwich.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

it's too bad because vs Aston Villa, they might actually have more scoring chances. ... I predict they still don't score more than 1 goal though. We all wanted Sargent to finish some chances, but he's not the main problem with Norwich.

Rumor is 4 players are out with Covid. Not confirmed if it's Sargent or not.
jeffk
AG
Hey, is Sargent playing? Is he even on the bench today?
Mathguy64
AG
While Norwich isn't good and it's not Sargent's fault they are not good, he doesn't exactly look like an EPL level player right now. It's complicated by Pukki playing as frankly he's not an EPL level striker. He's too slow. So the whole team plays slow. It's a team of Championship players and frankly that's Sargent's ability level. By playing in the PL they are going to look bad.
KCup17
AG
Im not sure if you heard but apparently he didn't even make the bench today.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

No, he is not even on the bench as 2 posters posted the same thing at almost the exact same time.

And a rumor is that 4 Norwich City players have covid or covid protocals.

Anything else you need help catching up on?
Legal Custodian
AG
Aye Davanita said:

jeffk said:

No, he is not even on the bench as 2 posters posted the same thing at almost the exact same time.

Could you expand on what's Sargent's role is today?
jeffk
AG
Guys, let's focus. Can someone please tell me if Sargent is on the bench today? I'm begging you.
Rudyjax
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Aye Davanita said:

jeffk said:

Could you expand on what's Sargent's role is today?

He's either watching from the stands or in the locker room or at home. Or in St Louis.
wangus12
AG
Aye Davanita said:

KCup17 said:

He just needs a goal or two. Once that happens, I think he'll be fine. He's always had a nose for thd goal.
I remember when we kept saying that about Jozy when he was at Sunderland
oh no
AG
Pulisic just went full 90 v Everton.
DeangeloVickers
AG
oh no said:

Pulisic just went full 90 v Everton.
Looked good
oh no
AG
I saw from twitter that it sounds like he had some really good moments early. I turned it on at work and watched the final 10 mins of regular time +5 stoppage/injury time. He looked ok. For USMNT purposes and the end of Jan/early Feb WCQ window - he looks really fit and healthy right now and gaining more and more trust with Tuchel as he went full 90 in an important league match. ...again playing that false 9 role with Ziyech and Mount on the wings.
akm91
AG
He had a backheel flick on attempt that was saved. He was active and drew a lot of fouls near the box.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
jeffk
AG
Y'all watching this tonight?

Rudyjax
AG
Good to see Jordan back.
PatAg
AG
Packed crowd
jeffk
AG
Was just thinking the same thing.
PatAg
AG
We need to reevaluate if Stu Holden and Taylor Twelman are the best we can do
jeffk
AG
Playing okay. Lacking any finishing teeth to go with our possession and movement so far. Lennon and Morris on the right have looked good.

B&H look like tracksuit mafia extras from the Hawkeye series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.