***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,305 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sargent not in the 20 today.

Pulsic on the bench against the Spuuuuurs.

Dest not in the 22 for Barca.
oh no
AG
with some luck, this squad has potential to go to Qatar and not only turn a lot of heads around the world, but also have a great impact on future generations at home. ...just need to make sure we get to Qatar first!
Rudyjax
AG
McKennie started for Juventus in the Italian Supercup final.
Rudyjax
AG
Goooooooooooooaalllllllll Weston McKennie!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Am I risking angering the soccer gods by sharing my future projections for the rest of the WCQ vis a vis qualification for a certain unnamed North American team that features blue in their uniforms?
theNetSmith
AG
Inter-Juve appears headed for KFTM.

will Weston be one of the 5 for Juve?
theNetSmith
AG
well, *****

Sanchez just scored for Inter in the 120th minute
Rudyjax
AG
theNetSmith said:

well, *****

Sanchez just scored for Inter in the 120th minute

Way to go, jinx.
jeffk
AG
Alphonso Davies is out for a couple weeks with acute myocarditis. Hope he recovers fully, but he may miss our qualifier.

Rudyjax
AG
Dayum. They are good but have no depth.

Ggg should be fired if we don't go 5 minutes north of the border and win.
tysker
AG
jeffk said:

Alphonso Davies is out for a couple weeks with acute myocarditis. Hope he recovers fully, but he may miss our qualifier.

Are those bottles of Paulaner 0.0% beer. Woof.
oh no
AG
Canada will still field a damn good best 11 without Davies.. but it will be nice not watching Davies blow right past our defenders with speed that we just don't have on the back line.

Hope Davies makes a full recovery.
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

jeffk said:

Are those bottles of Paulaner 0.0% beer. Woof.

Apparently Germans drink NA beer instead of water. I read an article about the summer Olympics about how much NA beer Germany brought to the Olympics. Here it is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/sports/olympics/germany-olympics-beer.html
Aston94
AG
Stinks for Davies, hope he is okay.

Will be interesting to see how Canada handles injuries. They have been pretty fortunate to date on the injury front. They have a solid 15-16 players, but it drops off after that significantly.
fig96
AG
Looks like Aaronson may be in for a move sooner than later.

oh no
AG
great for Brenden!

I hadn't seen it posted yet, but it sounds like Gio Reyna will still be on the shelf at BvB at least through this upcoming WCQ window.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

great for Brenden!

I hadn't seen it posted yet, but it sounds like Gio Reyna will still be on the shelf at BvB at least through this upcoming WCQ window.

Nucking futs. Did his hamstring leave the bone?
fig96
AG
Related, this is a great read on Aaronson if you've got an Athletic sub:
https://theathletic.com/2949381/2021/11/11/hes-ruthless-man-how-brenden-aaronsons-career-started-flying-with-union-salzburg-and-usmnt/

Quote:

Early in 2020, Rusty Aaronson opened an indoor facility just a few minutes down the street from the Aaronson family home. The facility closed to the public once the pandemic hit, giving Aaronson, then in his second year with the Philadelphia Union, the run of the place. He also had a high-level training partner in his younger brother Paxten. Now turning heads in his first season as a homegrown midfielder with the Union, Paxten was then just 16 and in Philadelphia's academy.

Every morning while MLS was shut down, the Aaronson brothers, both of whom lived with their parents at the time, would drive to the indoor facility for a technical session with Rusty. When the weather allowed, they would then spend their afternoons working on their finishing at Bob Bende Park, the local field where Real Jersey hosts most of its home matches. The pair would return to the indoor facility the evenings for one-on-one games against each other, inside a tight, 20-by-20 yard area.

"I started recording some of these sessions because they were so good," Rusty said. "I remember saying to one of my coaches, 'You need to come over here right now and watch.' It was so entertaining, because the quality and the competitiveness between the both of them, there's just nothing like two brothers going at it."

jeffk
AG
Last home qualifier (March 27?) will be in Orlando.

Also this:

Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Last home qualifier (March 27?) will be in Orlando.

Also this:

Great. They're going to call offside for a1mm offense when there is absolutely accurate way to determine the ball was kicked.

On the positive side, Mexico won't get away with VC.
Mathguy64
AG
Some of the crew assignments have already come out. 6 of the ones I have seen use a VAR from MEX. I expect the rest will be covered by US or CAN VARS. I would be shocked if they werent.

The Canada v USA match crew came out direct from FMF:

Domingo 30 de enero de 2022
Canad vs EUA
Hora: 15:05 (L)
rbitro Central: Csar Ramos (MEX)
rbitro Asistente 1: Alberto Morn (MEX)
rbitro Asistente 2: Miguel Hernndez (MEX)
Cuarto Oficial: Luis Enrique Santander (MEX)
rbitro VAR: Fernando Hernndez (MEX)
oh no
AG
Aye Davanita said:

the cynic in me says they will only use VAR for potential goals, penalty kicks (i.e. handled balls in the penalty area), and mistaken identity. The VAR officials will totally ignore Mexico's violent conduct... or not even consider throat grabbing a potential VC (which should qualify it for straight red card which should qualify it for VAR).
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

Aye Davanita said:

the cynic in me says they will only use VAR for potential goals, penalty kicks (i.e. handled balls in the penalty area), and mistaken identity. The VAR officials will totally ignore Mexico's violent conduct... or not even consider throat grabbing a potential VC (which should qualify it for straight red card which should qualify it for VAR).

Eye gouging?
wangus12
AG
fig96
AG
I'm amazed it's taken this long, excited for Turner.
wangus12
AG
US soccer reddit is not happy. He'd definitely be the backup GK at Arsenal (which I'm fine with as an Arsenal fan. He's a cheaper version of Leno.), but currently that would mean all 3 choices for GK for the USMNT would be backup goalies at their respective clubs with very little match time going into the World Cup.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, good move for Turner and probably Arsenal, but not great for the USMNT.
Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

US soccer reddit is not happy. He'd definitely be the backup GK at Arsenal (which I'm fine with as an Arsenal fan. He's a cheaper version of Leno.), but currently that would mean all 3 choices for GK for the USMNT would be backup goalies at their respective clubs with very little match time going into the World Cup.

Yeah. This ain't good. I would prefer our keeper the starter on the worst team in MLS.

That being said, good for Turner.
Pahdz
I don't know, while I tend to agree they should be seeing minutes Steffen looked fine vs Mexico
deadbq03
AG
Yeah this seems like a case of letting perfect be the enemy of good.

I think getting to practice at elite facilities with elite coaches against elite athletes is going to make him better, even if he only plays against the occasional cupcake.
jeffk
AG
Camp roster should get dropped either later this evening or tomorrow.
jeffk
AG
It's heeeeeeere.

tysker
AG
its like Gregg is trying to make reddit blow up.
4 keepers, no Jon Brooks, no Joe Scally but Reggie Cannon, Roldan but not Busio.

I'm betting we'll see a 3-5-2 during this cycle
akm91
AG
Sargent scores his first goal for Norwich! Nice bit of skill to flick the back that's behind him into goal!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
fig96
AG
Way to make an entrance kid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.