***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

182,102 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Jarrin' Jay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

That is clearly a yellow card............. on the Costa Rican player!!!! Shades of Jol Campbell. I love soccer/football, it's my favorite sport by far, but this kind of f'ing s**+ is ridiculous and should not be tolerated. CONCACAF should fine him a huge sum of $$$ and ban him from all CONCACAF competitions for a year. Of course they will do neither. I don't know how a grown man can act that way and still have any pride in himself or look himself in the mirror. That Jol Campell BS incident, I think he was with Arsenal at the time, if I was his club team I would have kicked him off the team and voided his contract for unsporting / unbecoming behavior.

Great result for the Yanks and it could have been more. With Panama also getting the draw tonight this sets up the USMNT to essentially book their place in the WC with a win vs. Panama.

If we are fully qualified when we go to Costa Rica I would have no problem if a US player put that Costa Rican ****er in the hospital......
Legal Custodian
AG
Table as of now:

Canada - 25pts
USA - 22pts
Mexico - 22pts
Costa Rica - 19pts
Panama - 18pts

How we clinch on Sunday:
USA win vs Panama
Costa Rica draw or loss to El Salvador

How we pretty much clinch on Sunday:
USA win vs Panama
And Costa Rica (assuming they win vs El Salvador) doesn't beat us by 5 goals or more

Worst Case scenario for Sunday:
Canada - 28pts (clinch with win vs Jamaica)
Mexico - 25pts (clinch win vs Honduras)
USA - 22pts (loss vs Panama)
Costa Rica - 22pts (win vs El Salvador)
Panama - 21pts (win vs USA)

At that point we would need to win against Costa Rica or draw and hope Panama draws or loses to Canada
birdman
Jarrin' Jay said:

If we are fully qualified when we go to Costa Rica I would have no problem if a US player put that Costa Rican ****er in the hospital......
You know what would be even better? Knocking them out of World Cup qualifying.

Nobody in Costa Rica has ever forgotten Jonathan Bornstein.
Aston94
AG
That is absolutely the worst red card I have ever seen given. Unbelievable.
PatAg
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

DeangeloVickers said:

That is clearly a yellow card............. on the Costa Rican player!!!! Shades of Jol Campbell. I love soccer/football, it's my favorite sport by far, but this kind of f'ing s**+ is ridiculous and should not be tolerated. CONCACAF should fine him a huge sum of $$$ and ban him from all CONCACAF competitions for a year. Of course they will do neither. I don't know how a grown man can act that way and still have any pride in himself or look himself in the mirror. That Jol Campell BS incident, I think he was with Arsenal at the time, if I was his club team I would have kicked him off the team and voided his contract for unsporting / unbecoming behavior.

Great result for the Yanks and it could have been more. With Panama also getting the draw tonight this sets up the USMNT to essentially book their place in the WC with a win vs. Panama.

Do they not have VAR to go back and look at that? Thats a garbage call
PatAg
AG
I'll say this, I would love to get our first win in Costa Rica even if we are already qualified. Hate that team
caleblyn
They should. I think that they should look at it after the game and make a decision about truthfulness. The Costa Rican should be suspended from the next two games for such a egregious act
wangus12
AG
Aston94 said:

That is absolutely the worst red card I have ever seen given. Unbelievable.
Woah now. Let me introduce you to the worst red card of all time. RvP getting a red card for taking a shot one second after an offside whistle in a packed CL Camp Nou is still the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Aston94
AG
Well now we are dealing with degrees of awful. I will say I think the Canada red is worst because:

1. At least there was intent from RVP to still shoot after offsides call.

2. Canada intent was to walk by another player who walked into him.

3. RVP's happened to Arsenal, so doesn't really offend me.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Jarrin' Jay said:

DeangeloVickers said:

The ref should be banned as well. He clearly didn't see what happened and made a call that changed the nature of the game.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rudyjax
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

DeangeloVickers said:

The ref should be banned as well. He clearly didn't see what happened and made a call that changed the nature of the game.
You'd think with VAR they'd fix that.

I'm not normally a conspiracy guy, but this is hard to believe that they didn't do this to help CR.

And speaking less conspiratorial, Most of the referee are from the spanish speaking countries, whether it's intentional or not, they respond more to the spanish speakers.
caleblyn
Definitely ridiculous. However, it was as second yellow. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Canadian was a straight red!
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Do they not have VAR to go back and look at that? Thats a garbage call
It's an extremely crappy rule, but VAR can't look at second yellows. It can only look at straight red.

And as floppy and lame as this was, Kaye did ever so slightly elbow him. If you're already on a yellow and you're playing floppy CONCACAF beetches, you can't give them an excuse to flop.
deadbq03
AG
caleblyn said:

Definitely ridiculous. However, it was as second yellow. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Canadian was a straight red!
The Canadian was also second yellow.
wangus12
AG
caleblyn said:

Nah ref shows a 2nd yellow then the red card.

Kaye had a 1st yellow on 15 minutes.

Either way its still an absolutely terrible call
deadbq03
AG
And again, 2nd yellows aren't reviewable. Which is a horrific rule.

If I could add two things to VAR, it would be:

1) Review all cards - there's too many consequences even for just yellows to allow for getting those wrong
2) Review corner vs. goal kick. I see egregiously bad calls here quite often, but thankfully I've yet to see a bad call result in goal, so it makes me wonder if they'd allow a review of the corner call as part of of the goal/no-goal review. Even if they do, denying a goal scoring opportunity by incorrectly awarding a goal kick is bad too.
SpiderDude
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is no VAR in CONCACAF for WC Qualifying. Maybe that's just the goal line technology and I'm wrong.
jeffk
AG
They added VAR for these last couple of WCQ windows. We started the Octo without it though, so that explains the confusion a bit.
SpiderDude
AG
Thank you for clarifying.
jeffk
AG
Okay, so who are we without for Sunday?

Cannon - COVID
Yedlin - cards
Weah - cards

Anyone else? Busio wasn't dressed last night for some reason.
jeffk
AG
Phat32
AG
How can we clinch Sunday?
Aston94
AG
Phat32 said:

How can we clinch Sunday?
We can clinch with a win and a Costa Rica tie or loss.

With a win or tie against Panama we will be guaranteed at least the fourth playoff spot.

If we win and CR wins they could still tie us if they beat us in CR, but our Goal differential is +7 better than theirs, so they would have to win 3-0, 3-0 and us beat Panama 1-0 for them to surpass us on GD.

So basically win on Sunday and we are in.
TRM
AG
A tie guarantees us the 4th place spot. We play Panama and we're up 4 points on them and they're in 5th now.
Aston94
AG
TRM said:

A tie guarantees us the 4th place spot. We play Panama and we're up 4 points on them and they're in 5th now.
Correct, fixed it. Thanks.
Hey...so.. um
Your math is off. If they beat us 4-0, that is a 8 goal swing in goal differential because ours would go down 4 and theirs would go up 4.
Aston94
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

Your math is off. If they beat us 4-0, that is a 8 goal swing in goal differential because ours would go down 4 and theirs would go up 4.
Thanks, will redo math

EastSideAg2002
Aston94 said:

Hey...so.. um said:

Thanks, will redo math

Aston94
AG
Well played sir.
jeffk
AG
Game thread is a go.
caleblyn
Who developed our schedule? Must have been the BigXII commissioner.
deadbq03
AG
caleblyn said:

It is pretty crappy that we're playing the 3 teams that qualified in 2018 in this final window.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

caleblyn said:

It is pretty crappy that we're playing the 3 teams that qualified in 2018 in this final window.

Would you expect anything different from Concacaf?
oragator
Ironically, it's El Salvador who might have the biggest say on our fate, outside of us. They have CR tonight and Mexico Wednesday. They win ether of those it's a massive boost.
Kampfers
AG
wow El Salvador with a huge goal to tie things up immediately after conceding

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.