***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,537 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/american-exports-hammarby-fire-gregg-berhalter-manager-citing-teams-lack-offense
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

PatAg said:

I still think we might be all overrating how much "champions league" talent we have, mostly due to it always being talked about by people that cover the sport.

Weston went from Schalke to Juventus, and is suddenly a champions league player...even though he is the same soccer player with the same strengths and weaknesses.
That might be true but I'll give you the opposite end of the spectrum as a counterpoint even if you're right about the top end. Guys like Lletget and Acosta are way better than guys like Bradley who we used to have to be stuck with as perennial starters.
Completely agree, I think the MLS is MUCH better than it was even 10 years ago, and players coming out of it are overall higher quality than what we used to play. Was more of a random thought.
PatAg
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

PatAg said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

PatAg said:

I was watching some of the post game footage again, and Pulisic looks extremely pissed and like he is holding back in his interview....has to be about Greggg right?
I doubt it, more like CONCACAF and the ref...
I just assume everyone is always pissed about that though, lol
Haha, true...
Mathguy64
AG
That's an interesting first quote by CP10.
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

deadbq03 said:

PatAg said:

I still think we might be all overrating how much "champions league" talent we have, mostly due to it always being talked about by people that cover the sport.

Weston went from Schalke to Juventus, and is suddenly a champions league player...even though he is the same soccer player with the same strengths and weaknesses.
That might be true but I'll give you the opposite end of the spectrum as a counterpoint even if you're right about the top end. Guys like Lletget and Acosta are way better than guys like Bradley who we used to have to be stuck with as perennial starters.
Completely agree, I think the MLS is MUCH better than it was even 10 years ago, and players coming out of it are overall higher quality than what we used to play. Was more of a random thought.
I hear you. As a Leipzig fan, my random thoughts are darker (and probably dumber) but I can't help but wonder if there's a sad sad connection between both of the teams I love and their inability to create chances.
PatAg
AG
I'd strongly considering bringing in Jesus Ferreira for the Wednesday game. He has been with the team in training enough to be familiar with tactics, and he gives us something the team doesnt currently have in a spot it needs it.
Rudyjax
AG
That's all I got to say about that.
JW
AG
Media heat on Berhalter should be scorching.
PatAg
AG
It should be, but I expect to wake up tomorrow and most of it at the players
Kampfers
AG
PatAg said:

Let's say we lose Wednesday....are there even any quality coaches out there we could hire if we did want to fire Greggggg?

Completely unrealistic, but

1 Antonio Conte pls
DeangeloVickers
AG
COVID and talent can't overcome the US Soccer powers that be

Once we lost the World Cup
We fired the President and coach.wholesale changes
And they elected the Vice President
Then they took for ****ing ever to hire a coach and they hired one of the top guys brother ...his brother!!!

Now were all losing our mind due to the failure 4 years ago and 2 pts to start

Gracious can these young guys handle this pressure?
HotardRat
AG
For the love of Christ, can we just play a gah damn 5-3-2
jeffk
AG
Have we considered that maybe this thread is cursed and we need a game thread with five stars in the title?
tysker
AG
jeffk said:

Have we considered that maybe this thread is cursed and we need a game thread with five stars in the title?

How long would it take the mods to find a pron blast on this board?
Furlock Bones
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

COVID and talent can't overcome the US Soccer powers that be

Once we lost the World Cup
We fired the President and coach.wholesale changes
And they elected the Vice President
Then they took for ****ing ever to hire a coach and they hired one of the top guys brother

Now due to the failure 4 years ago and 2 pts to start .

Gracious.can these young guys handle this pressure?

Let's not forget Stu Holden and the athletic councils hand in all of this. The VP doesn't become the President without them pushing him over the line. Lost a **** ton of respect for Stu then.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Mathguy64
AG
71% possession with no real effective offensive penetration. And he says he's never seen that level of ineptitude?

Dude has clearly never watched ManU the last couple of years as they were completely incapable of beating a team that locked down in a low block.
Furlock Bones
AG
Austln FC has the 2nd most possession in the MLS.
wangus12
AG
As an Arsenal fan

fig96
AG
What's interesting is we had this very similar discussion not that long ago (mid July) and some said that the Nations League was evidence of Berhalter changing up his tactics and that we need to look at an "American style of play" that we integrate from the youth levels on up.

Related tweet that was referenced:

aggiephoenix02
It's all so damn frustrating!
JW
AG
Only a light media shrug today. Almost more blame on players than coach.
AG@RICE
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Thunder18
AG
Mathguy64 said:

71% possession with no real effective offensive penetration. And he says he's never seen that level of ineptitude?

Dude has clearly never watched ManU the last couple of years as they were completely incapable of beating a team that locked down in a low block.

I came very close to describing last night's game like a Man U game
jeffk
AG
It's definitely a frustrating result, but some of the hysterics are a bit over the top (from pundits and fans alike).
aggiephoenix02
jeffk said:

It's definitely a frustrating result, but some of the hysterics are a bit over the top (from pundits and fans alike).
Okay, Joe Cool. Just let us know when it's time for us to start complaining...
jeffk
AG
I figured you'd enjoy the fact that the USMNT was losing. Isn't that your thing?

Oh, also didn't you just tell another person on here that they posted like a teenage girl a day or two ago?
aggiephoenix02
jeffk said:

I figured you'd enjoy the fact that the USMNT was losing. Isn't that your thing?
Nope, that's not my thing.

I figured you say something stupid in response. Isn't that your thing? Sure seems like it...
jeffk
AG
You're not the guy who wants Austin FC to lose their games because you don't want your team to have bandwagon fans?
aggiephoenix02
jeffk said:

You're not the guy who wants Austin FC to lose their games because you don't want your team to have bandwagon fans?
What does that have to do with the US national team?

And rooting for my hometown team Austin FC to lose goes beyond just bandwagon fans. It's like you have reading comprehension problems. Figure it out already...
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Histrionics aside, history (see what I just did) says 1.5 points per match gets you qualified. 14 matches makes 21 points in the Ocho. Drop a deuce in Honduras and you are sitting at 2 points with 11 left to play. To get to 21 they would need to average almost 2 points per. The margin of error would be just about gone. It's not panic time but losing Wednesday would start the sweat dripping.
jeffk
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

jeffk said:

Okay, Joe Cool. Just let us know when it's time for us to start complaining...

This is a good starting point. Complaining is definitely warranted. I was super annoyed by how often we tried to run our offense through the right wing even after we took Dest out of the game. (I was also annoyed watching Dest try to take Canadian players on one on one in our own defensive third, but that's who he is at this point.) I was annoyed that McKennie can't get out of his own way and got himself benched. I was annoyed that so few of our attacking players seem to want to shoot the ball given time and space and would rather make an extra pass with an incredibly low likelihood of being completed. I was annoyed that the Canadians played pretty consistently good defense in a low block which makes it hard for some of even the best teams in the world to break through for chances. I was annoyed we went back to short corners. I was annoyed that Yedlin keeps getting pushed around. There's tons of annoying things worth complaining about.

I don't think it's time to panic and think we won't qualify. I don't think it's time to call for Gregg to be fired. Those are the type of hysterics I was originally referring to.

Forgot about how late our subs were. Now I'm annoyed all over again.
aggiephoenix02
I trust Gregg. He has earned that trust this summer.

But the ish hit the fan LONG ago. We didn't make it last cycle, that right there is enough to justify ANY criticism and all the sky is falling attitudes...
jeffk
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

Histrionics aside, history (see what I just did) says 1.5 points per match gets you qualified. 14 matches makes 21 points in the Ocho. Drop a deuce in Honduras and you are sitting at 2 points with 11 left to play. To get to 21 they would need to average almost 2 points per. The margin of error would be just about gone. It's not panic time but losing Wednesday would start the sweat dripping.

The point distribution does make sense, but not all our windows are of equal difficulty. I thought we'd take maybe four points from this first one. If we're still behind pace after window two, then I'll personally start rocking myself to sleep while wearing my Beckerman jersey which I need to wash because folks in the supporters section threw beer all over last night.
Furlock Bones
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

I trust Gregg. He has earned that trust this summer.

But the ish hit the fan LONG ago. We didn't make it last cycle, that right there is enough to justify ANY criticism and all the sky is falling attitudes...

I'm not sure Gregg earned much trust. More that he dug himself a little ways out of the hole. Trophies in meaningless competitions are all well and good and I loved beating Mexico twice.

But Berhalter was hired after US Soccer biggest failure. Then instead of making the tough changes. Us soccer with the help of former athletes promoted the second in charge. Then the COO hires his brother who had a dubious record before the appointment.

So, until the USMNT officially qualify, all criticism is more than warranted. And if we lose on Wednesday, us soccer should be answering questions on Berhalter's future.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.