***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,695 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it turns out winning in El Salvador was pretty important. I mentioned after that game that 3 or 4 points became a very real possibility. Well, now we better hold on for 3.
PatAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

wangus12 said:

PatAg said:

I hate to say we NEED to win on the road Wednesday, since its so early...but it would be HUGE to pick the points back up right after dropping some at home tonight.
You absolutely need to win Wednesday. Our backs are already against the wall.
Yep.
I do think I agree that we need the win, it just feels strange to say this early.

Really need to see Gregg change it up, we should be able to take it to a team like HOnduras and have them on the backfoot all game.
JJxvi
AG
This game was the problem, not El salvador. We played well enough there to win, we just didnt, and that happens on the road. We should have lost this game. Really its worse even because by scoring first we should have won anyway because we played like naive perfect gentlemen after out goal when every other team in this region wouldve made it a foulfest nightmare with this ref after that
aggiephoenix02
PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

wangus12 said:

PatAg said:

I hate to say we NEED to win on the road Wednesday, since its so early...but it would be HUGE to pick the points back up right after dropping some at home tonight.
Yep.
I do think I agree that we need the win, it just feels strange to say this early.

Really need to see Gregg change it up, we should be able to take it to a team like HOnduras and have them on the backfoot all game.
Have then on the back foot all game!? When as the last time the USMNT did that?
PatAg
AG
Let's say we lose Wednesday....are there even any quality coaches out there we could hire if we did want to fire Greggggg?
PatAg
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

wangus12 said:

PatAg said:

Yep.

Have then on the back foot all game!? When as the last time the USMNT did that?
That is kind of my point, we are tactically too conservative and we dont even try to do it. I think we have the talent.
aggiephoenix02
PatAg said:

Let's say we lose Wednesday....are there even any quality coaches out there we could hire if we did want to fire Greggggg?
Da Bruce! I want Fonze back...
TamuKid
AG
So McKennie forgot the importance of this game.
Our players forgot multiple times that Davies is fast.
And GGG forgot he could sub until 8 minutes remained.

We should do some memory exercises.
Mathguy64
AG
PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

wangus12 said:

PatAg said:

Yep.

They have to win. And they absolutely cannot lose. I'm sure the master tactician will set up for a draw.
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

Not sure he'd be interested or even if it'd be a good idea, but I've often wondered why Peter Vermes hasn't had a turn.
Furlock Bones
AG
JJxvi said:

This game was the problem, not El salvador. We played well enough there to win, we just didnt, and that happens on the road. We should have lost this game. Really its worse even because by scoring first we should have won anyway because we played like naive perfect gentlemen after out goal when every other team in this region wouldve made it a foulfest nightmare with this ref after that

Yea I'm going to have disagree on your first point. We were outplayed in El Salvador for the majority of the game. There's no argument around that.
PatAg
AG
Furlock Bones said:

JJxvi said:

Yea I'm going to have disagree on your first point. We were outplayed in El Salvador for the majority of the game. There's no argument around that.
I don't agree with that.
PatAg
AG

Found this just now, kind of sums up what we were talking about in game. I don't know what a realistic soluton would be, that we could expect to see in game....short of Greggg completely changing his tactics or some players forcing their way into the lineup.
Gordo14
I agree we need 5o go out there in win in Honduras, but the one bright spot is that there have only been 3 wins total so far in qualifying. 2 of them by a single team. So I don't think realistically next game is must win, but we need to play like it is.
PatAg
AG
Reyna is hurt, but I think he needs to be given a shot in an advanced central position. He tried Aaronson there for some reason, when that would have been a great game to try Reyna in the spot and leave Aaronson out wide where he is very effective.

Id like to think Musah would have started at least one of these games, and he is the kind of player that should be there over Lletget or Acosta (let acosta back up Adams)
aggiephoenix02
It seemed to me that Gregg's tactics was to have Brooks distribute the ball (I'm joking, but not really), because it was Brooks and then NOTHING. When Brooks is making as many passes as he did today we're in deep trouble...
Mathguy64
AG
PatAg said:

....short of Greggg completely changing his tactics . . .
Bwahahahahahaha.
deadbq03
AG
Furlock Bones said:

JJxvi said:

I was traveling and could only catch the end of the El Salvador match, so I can't speak to that, but I'd argue the converse is certainly true: I think we were clearly the better team tonight - most certainly until Dest went off, but really up until we scored. Canada were lucky to go into halftime 0-0.

But once we scored in the 2nd half, that's where Greggggg showed his true colors. Everyone knows the complexion of the game is going to change after the first team scores. Canada had us on the ropes from then on until Greggggg finally decided to start making subs.
PatAg
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

It seemed to me that Gregg's tactics was to have Brooks distribute the ball (I'm joking, but not really), because it was Brooks and then NOTHING. When Brooks is making as many passes as he did today we're in deep trouble...
His passing ability should be A weapon, not THE weapon, right? They didnt have to respect any passes made to the center of the pitch, because 95% of the time it just results in a square pass. Only when Aaronson or Pulisic got on the ball did we create danger.
PatAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

PatAg said:

....short of Greggg completely changing his tactics . . .
Bwahahahahahaha.
Yep
PatAg
AG
That would have been a good game to get Pepi his first cap, especially since we were chasing the win.
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

His passing ability should be A weapon, not THE weapon, right? They didnt have to respect any passes made to the center of the pitch, because 95% of the time it just results in a square pass. Only when Aaronson or Pulisic got on the ball did we create danger.
Or Dest before he went out. Dude was MIA on defense (and thank God for Adams or we might not even have 1 pt) but he put some beautiful attacks together.

Again, to a previous point by JJxvi - we should've had a back 3 this game. Back 3 plus Adams is a hell of a good defense so the wingbacks can push forward and do what they want.
PatAg
AG
I was watching some of the post game footage again, and Pulisic looks extremely pissed and like he is holding back in his interview....has to be about Greggg right?
aggiephoenix02
PatAg said:

I was watching some of the post game footage again, and Pulisic looks extremely pissed and like he is holding back in his interview....has to be about Greggg right?
I doubt it, more like CONCACAF and the ref...
Furlock Bones
AG
PatAg said:

My buddy mentioned the same thing. He said he's pissed about the tactics.
PatAg
AG
That game Wednesday is STARTING at 10:05 pm local time. Crazy
PatAg
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

PatAg said:

I just assume everyone is always pissed about that though, lol
aggiephoenix02
PatAg said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

PatAg said:

I just assume everyone is always pissed about that though, lol
Haha, true...
deadbq03
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

PatAg said:

I agree. It's gotta be super frustrating for the guys who play at elite levels in Europe to deal with this amateur-level BS. Adams damn-near lost his **** tonight because of it. Hell, maybe that's the reason why Brooks seems so apathetic with US soccer but is a beast in the Bundesliga. CONCACAF is a ****show.

Not saying the poor officiating is the reason we lost, but it's absolutely a factor.

Correction: a draw not a loss. I suppose it's quite telling though that the draw feels like a loss.
PatAg
AG
I still think we might be all overrating how much "champions league" talent we have, mostly due to it always being talked about by people that cover the sport.

Weston went from Schalke to Juventus, and is suddenly a champions league player...even though he is the same soccer player with the same strengths and weaknesses.
Mathguy64
AG
We all said that this was the deepest most talented NT pool ever. The players have to know that. It's Berhalter's job to devise a game plan to put them in a position to win tactically. He's not getting that done and they have to know that too.
PatAg
AG
National team coaches NEED to adapt their tactics to the players they have. You cant go out and sign players to fit into whatever system you have concocted.

All coaches need to be able to adapt their tactics IN GAME, to account for what the other team is doing and how the game is playing out.

Players on the team could absolutely be doing more and playing better, but I think the previous statements are the primary issue. He's already changed up his tactics once in his reign, but it also took him a LONG time to do that. Im not sure we can afford for him to take that long again.
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

I still think we might be all overrating how much "champions league" talent we have, mostly due to it always being talked about by people that cover the sport.

Weston went from Schalke to Juventus, and is suddenly a champions league player...even though he is the same soccer player with the same strengths and weaknesses.
That might be true but I'll give you the opposite end of the spectrum as a counterpoint even if you're right about the top end. Guys like Lletget and Acosta are way better than guys like Bradley who we used to have to be stuck with as perennial starters.
Mathguy64
AG
Well it could be worse. Morocco got trapped in Guinea during a coup and of course the **** show in Brazil with the attempted arrests on the pitch. Yeah. It could be worse.
aggiephoenix02
Mathguy64 said:

Well it could be worse. Morocco got trapped in Guinea during a coup
Haha, that's just funny right there...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.