***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,851 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
aggietony2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

3 minutes. Are you ****ing serious

Should've been 5+ easily.
Thunder18
AG
wangus12 said:

3 minutes. Are you ****ing serious

Davies wasted 3 minutes by himself crawling back on the field
wangus12
AG
C'mon Brooks. Do it again
PatAg
AG
Brooks win this header
Pulisic please actually hit this corner well
fig96
AG
Beautiful little sequence there to get the corner.

And that was the chance.
PatAg
AG
American media needs to absolutely put Greggg over the coals
JW
AG
This is what you get with Berhalter. Garbage tactics, if you can even call it that.
aggiephoenix02
This was an incredibly frustrating match...
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
All that "summer" good will down the drain. This sucks
aggietony2010
AG
Didn't even give a full 3. **** berhalter and **** concacaf and their third world tactics and officials.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Fire Gregg

Subbing sucked.

WTF McKennie
awall11
AG
Well at least we auto qualify for 2026
PatAg
AG
JW said:

This is what you get with Berhalter. Garbage tactics, if you can even call it that.
He conflicts even himself. He talks about wanting to have the ball and dictate play, then he just plays extremely conservatively with player selection and how they are employed

We have the talent in the fold to do better
TheMasterplan
Better not be settling for a tie at Honduras.
Mathguy64
AG
Wow. You were hoping for at least 5 points out of this set. Now you are looking at the real possibility of just 2. Taking a tired and wounded team to Honduras and the possibility that European teams may ask for some of these players back, a loss is very real.
wangus12
AG
I'd love to here what McKennie did. They said it was partying earlier in the broadcast so why in the hell would you risk what just happened
AustinScubaAg
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

All that "summer" good will down the drain. This sucks
The good looked just like today
DeangeloVickers
AG
Boring

Awful set pieces

Canada won so many one on ones
Silvertaps
AG
Outside looking in on the WC now. Unreal
DeangeloVickers
AG
zachsccr
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Better not be settling for a tie at Honduras.

After tonight, I might be ok with a draw in Honduras

I'm not, but good heavens
wangus12
AG
Sounds familiar

deadbq03
AG
This will sound crazy, but I felt like we needed to move Adams to RB after Dest went off. He was the only guy out there who didn't seem scared of Davies.

And to Pat's point, I might've taken that opportunity to maybe sub on a striker for Dest and play with 2 up front.
PatAg
AG
It shouldnt matter that Reyna and McKennie are out, imo...and realyl it doesnt, we looked the same on the road.

its too ****ing conservative, and we just set ourselves up to fail. The attack is just completely disconnected from the rest of the team. Pulisic and Aaronson have to drop back past half field to even get the ball, which just has the trickle on effect becuase then there are only 1-2 people left in the attack.

Then in the times the ball actually makes it up to them, no one from the central midfield is getting into the attack to provide options. Lletget is NOT that guy, Acosta is defensive minded.

Its possible all of the issues would be solved by having some players step up in the positions where we lack the pieces/talent, but it really doesnt seem like it to me.

You might also say if you are lacking the kind of player to make tactics work, then change the ****ing tactics to match your pool of players. Which was something we all torched Greggg for his first year.

Im not ready to say he needs to go for sure, but I definitely dont disagree with people who do either. He's running out of time to prove he has what it takes though.
Gordo14
Awful tactics. Just disgusting. To be fair we saw this the whole Gold Cup and Nations League - we were just clutch - that's the difference.
JJxvi
AG
deadbq03 said:

This will sound crazy, but I felt like we needed to move Adams to RB after Dest went off. He was the only guy out there who didn't seem scared of Davies.

And to Pat's point, I might've taken that opportunity to maybe sub on a striker for Dest and play with 2 up front.

Youre only allowed to make like for like subs
JW
AG
Late sub was unforgivable. But his mass subs is also weird. He is not looking for opportunities with his subs. Could argue he did better with a limited roster when he was forced to think about it instead of just rolling the ball out.
PatAg
AG
I hate to say we NEED to win on the road Wednesday, since its so early...but it would be HUGE to pick the points back up right after dropping some at home tonight.
JJxvi
AG
Imo the attackers are already in the team, theyre just being made to play too much defense. Get Lleget off the field, put another central defender to play with three and cover your wings and let Dest and Robinson play up and down the wings. Then you have 5 attacking players and not 3.5 and your central mids can just link and cover to their strengths
PatAg
AG
Greggg cant come in and kick the gatorade bucket when he is one of the main problems
deadbq03
AG
JJxvi said:

Imo the attackers are already in the team, theyre just being made to play too much defense. Get Lleget off the field, put another central defender to play with three and cover your wings and let Dest and Robinson play up and down the wings. Then you have 5 attacking players and not 3.5
I agree completely. I thought tonight was screaming for a back 3 after McKennie was suspended.

Edit: I shouldn't have said completely. I don't like our situation at the 9, but I think Pefok played well tonight.
PatAg
AG
JJxvi said:

Imo the attackers are already in the team, theyre just being made to play too much defense. Get Lleget off the field, put another central defender to play with three and cover your wings and let Dest and Robinson play up and down the wings. Then you have 5 attacking players and not 3.5
That is a great question...why did we bring so many CBs and play 3 at the back a lot this summer, only to not play it when it matters.
wangus12
AG
PatAg said:

I hate to say we NEED to win on the road Wednesday, since its so early...but it would be HUGE to pick the points back up right after dropping some at home tonight.
You absolutely need to win Wednesday. Our backs are already against the wall.
Mathguy64
AG
wangus12 said:

PatAg said:

You absolutely need to win Wednesday. Our backs are already against the wall.
Yep.
PatAg
AG

This guy has decent opinions from time to time, but screw this mindset.
We can't say a tie is acceptable on the road because we need to get all points at home, and then turn around and put out a tweet like this.
Hes part of the national soccer media, he needs to be putting the heat on Greggg and the team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.