***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,606 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sargent has played a lot in the EPL this year. More minutes than Steffen and Pulisic, our only other EPL players, and I think Sargent has played pretty well considering the quality of his team vs the quality of his competition week in and week out. Problem is he came out of Scott Gallagher and the USYNT squads and went to Werder Bremen and the SR USMNT initially as a #9 center forward and he's now playing some RB, RWB, and wing at Norwich and not playing for the Sr USMNT at all. His work rate, making all the right runs, tactical awareness, decision-making, physical traits (size/speed/fitness), technical abilities and touches on the ball- he's got all the right pieces and quality to be a regular 1st choice call-up on the US squad and IMO only needed to be allowed to develop and improve his finishing ability. He's been on a bad team in Bremen and a bad team in Norwich so the match opportunities to finish have been sparse. Greggg already didn't like him at #9 as Pepi produced when Sargent didn't, and Gregg has a lot of options at wing and (for now) better options at RB so Sargent will have to keep developing and be patient to earn his way back with Greggg.

I have no problem with Arriola either as I like the energy and work rate he brings, especially as a sub. He's played professionally in Liga MX and played a lot of concacaf matches so he brings a lot to the squad for these critical last three match days to qualify for Qatar. Would like to see him finish. With Pulisic, Gio, weah, Aaronson, Arriola, Morris- we have some good options on the wings. I'd like to see Hoppe or Konrad de la Fuente back in the squad sometime soon too. The one I'm not sure I get, more than Arriola, is Jesus Ferreira.

I'm glad Pefok is back. At least with Pepi and Pefok we have more than one option at #9. Maybe Zardes is injured? but I like getting Pefok in there, would like to see Dike (when healthy), Sargent, and Gioacchini get some call ups sometimes too.

Lastly, CB- since people seem to want John Brooks back so badly. I think Brooks' recovery speed is too slow for concacaf football and the sit back and counter approach we're going to see in these three match days. He's great in the air, but Miles and Zimmer have proven to be pretty good in that regard as well. Their touches, connections building out, etc. are just as good and their chemistry as a pair playing together might make them better options than Brooks right now. With McKenzie and Richards both hurt, maybe Brooks should have been brought in this window. Great opportunity for EPB to get himself involved and establish himself as an option for Qatar, but if Miles or Zimmer take a knock or a suspension during or after Mexico, we'll be depending on a player that is pretty inexperienced with the US squad. Regardless, when you add the development of Miles, Richards, Zimmer, McKenzie, EPB, CCV, and possibly soon or at least by Qatar a healthy Aaron Long, we're pretty solid at CB. I personally still think Miazga is one of the top CB's in the US player pool, but Greggg has never called him so I doubt he ever will- almost guaranteed to not be involved if we go to Qatar.
tysker
AG
Isn't it nice to complain about an EPL striker not making the roster compared to 20 years ago when roster announcements resulted in reenactments of the 'who are these ****ing guys' scene from Major League?

Oh, this guys plays in the Belgian 2nd division; he must be good then?
mrmill3218
AG
Jesus Ferraira is hard to watch. Don't get that one at all.
oh no
AG
I think Ferriera is a good player. I just think we have other options that bring more to the table at this time at winger, including more versatile and more physical options like Hoppe and Sargent.
jeffk
AG
Bello added.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Did Zardes die? Only explanation for him not being on a ggg roster. At least nipple made the squad. Yay /meh face.

Can we just bring in Hoppe for the Mexico game? I know he has been injured, but he is so perfect for riling the mexicans up. He could be the Ric Flair of US soccer. Bring him out for the coin flip in a pimp ass robe, strut around for like 20 minutes after he scores a goal, right in front of their bench or home side fan group.
TRM
tysker
AG
Quote:

Can we just bring in Hoppe for the Mexico game?
Hoppe + Acosta + Miazga for ****talking/dark arts trifeca
Mathguy64
AG
I'm shocked. CAS upheld the FIFA and UEFA ban of Russia from all competitions.
akm91
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I'm shocked. CAS upheld the FIFA and UEFA ban of Russia from all competitions.
Putin doesn't have the $$$ that UAE/Qatar has
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Thunder18
AG
tysker said:

Quote:

Can we just bring in Hoppe for the Mexico game?
Hoppe + Acosta + Miazga for ****talking/dark arts trifeca

McKennie as well when he's healthy
mrmill3218
AG
Can someone explain to me how Roldan always gets called in?
tysker
AG
mrmill3218 said:

He's lower ceiling but also lower volatility guy. Doesnt make a lot of mistakes. Won't surprise you but wont hurt you too much. A good guy to have around when trying to kill off a game.
oh no
AG
Roldan should be on the outside of the 27 in the midfield IMO, but we do have several injuries.
aggiephoenix02
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Did Zardes die? Only explanation for him not being on a ggg roster. At least nipple made the squad. Yay /meh face.

Can we just bring in Hoppe for the Mexico game? I know he has been injured, but he is so perfect for riling the mexicans up. He could be the Ric Flair of US soccer. Bring him out for the coin flip in a pimp ass robe, strut around for like 20 minutes after he scores a goal, right in front of their bench or home side fan group.
Exactly! I don't give a crap if he's "in form", put him on the roster!
This message brought to you by the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President.
jeffk
AG
Who will get choked with Weston not around? Or will we fly him out just so someone can choke him?
carl spacklers hat
jeffk said:

Who will get choked with Weston not around? Or will we fly him out just so someone can choke him?
I'm going with Pulisic
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Thunder18
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Guy is absolutely invisible when he plays for the national team
oh no
AG
Is he visible with club? Because I have never really seen him. Honestly, I think he's a pretty good player, but if we don't have better, we're not developing enough midfielders properly, domestically.

I feel like our top MFs like McKennie and Adams are outstanding, but our depth in the midfield is embarrassing.

…and is Lleget injured because I was sure he'd be in this roster if he wasn't injured.
Rudyjax
AG
Pulisic just twisted an ankle.
Rudyjax
AG
Came back in immediately. Whew.
PatAg
AG
oh no said:

Is he visible with club? Because I have never really seen him. Honestly, I think he's a pretty good player, but if we don't have better, we're not developing enough midfielders properly, domestically.

I feel like our top MFs like McKennie and Adams are outstanding, but our depth in the midfield is embarrassing.

…and is Lleget injured because I was sure he'd be in this roster if he wasn't injured.

The real depth is all young still
fig96
AG
Current standings:

Canada 25
USA 21
Mexico 21
Panama 17
Costa Rica 16

So doing the math with 3 matches remaining (there are other possibilities as well but as far as controlling our own destiny):

- Win any 2 and we're through. That puts us on 27 points and the most Panama can get is 26.

- Win 1 and draw Panama. That puts us on 25 and the most they can get is 24. We could theoretically end up tied with Costa Rica in this case but there's almost zero chance they'd make up the +8 goal differential.
oh no
AG
Let's just beat Mexico first
jeffk
AG
I will try my best!
jeffk
AG
Also, Jesus Ferreira has a hat trick tonight vs Portland.
Rudyjax
AG
Aaronson scratched. 10 minutes before todays match with a knee injury.
Furlock Bones
AG
Alarm bells are ringing for USMNT WCQ.

I'll repeat. We left too much meat on the bone.
gougler08
AG
Still a lot of talent but man we are dropping like flies
TRM
AG
Aye Davanita said:

Aaronson scratched. 10 minutes before todays match with a knee injury.

Call in Sargent and Hoppe.
jeffk
AG
Of note, Aaronson was the only player capped in every WCQ match so far.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Was really happy with how Horvath played today. And as much as I hate to agree with Twellman, he's playing (and well) while Stefan is not.
Furlock Bones
AG
Aaronson officially out of the usmnt
Aston94
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Was really happy with how Horvath played today. And as much as I hate to agree with Twellman, he's playing (and well) while Stefan is not.
Steffen did get the start for City today in their 4-1 win over Southampton, so was good to see him back out on the field.
Aston94
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Aaronson officially out of the usmnt
Where are you seeing this? Stu Holden reporting per US Soccer that he is still traveling in for games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.