***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,528 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surprised at no Scally. What more does he have to prove?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
it's a strong squad. let's go get 9 points.
jeffk
AG
Sargent only scores when he's left off the USMNT roster.
tysker
AG
Interested about rotation over 3 games in cold weather. 'hardest game' in the middle versus a Canadian team missing Davies. I could see Gregg using the A team vs. ELS and then Gregg get cute against Canada making 5-6 changes and swing it into a A-/B+ team with a weird formation. Playing for a win but accepting a tie. And then using the A team again versus Honduras
akm91
AG
Sargent with a brace!!!!!
DeangeloVickers
AG
He cant stop smiling on the pitch. Awesome

Norwich is out of relegation now. Amazing
jeffk
AG
Dress like not-Norwich, play like not-Norwich.
oh no
AG
really happy for Sargent.

was he playing wing back or winger for Norwich today?
akm91
AG
Looks to be more of a wide midfielder. The lineup on ESPN showed a 4-4-2 formation with Sargent as one of the 4 mids.
wangus12
AG
akm91 said:

Probably because some dude on reddit said he'd pay everyone in the comments $100 if Sargent scored
Rudyjax
AG
Dammit. First Norwich game in weeks I missed because of work.
jeffk
AG
akm91
AG
15 minutes of added time?
aggiephoenix02
jeffk said:

It's heeeeeeere.

Hell yeah! That roster is on point!
jeffk
AG
Pretty cool to hear especially since they were giving him a pretty tough time like a week ago.

Rudyjax
AG
Tears. That dude has worked his ass off and gets 1 scoring oppty every other game and misses it.

Most strikers get 3-4 per game and get one.
oh no
AG
for a kid who pretty much played #9 growing up and so far for USYNTs and USMNT, the coaches at both Bremen and Norwich have used him in a multitude of ways in the midfield, right back, right wing, and right wingback. His versatility should make him more valuable on future squads for Berhalter, even if Pepi, Zardes, Dike, Pefok, etc. have passed him as an option (for now) as a #9.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

for a kid who pretty much played #9 growing up and so far for USYNTs and USMNT, the coaches at both Bremen and Norwich have used him in a multitude of ways in the midfield, right back, right wing, and right wingback. His versatility should make him more valuable on future squads for Berhalter, even if Pepi, Zardes, Dike, Pefok, etc. have passed him as an option (for now) as a #9.

Imagine 5 years ago if I had told you a starter in the premier league didn't get called up to the USMNT.

oh no
AG
Aye Davanita said:

oh no said:

Imagine 5 years ago if I had told you a starter in the premier league didn't get called up to the USMNT.

hell, with steffen as a rarely playing second choice keeper at City and CP being oft injured and often coming on late as a super-sub (along with Fulham being relegated after last season), Sargent has by far the most EPL minutes of any American. . Pretty amazing.
Rudyjax
AG
Yep, and I had a feeling all those bad bounces he had would even out at some point.

Hopefully he'll get more service and he can continue to score. I was never really down on him because the best don't score every gso they have. The top gso's miss quite a few each match.
jeffk
AG
Sargent will be fine. He's still young and I think he just needs to find his feet in Europe and continue to polish some of the weaker points in his game. Maybe missing this international window will allow him to focus on that and not worry about his not getting regular minutes with the NT.
wangus12
AG
akm91 said:

And just like that Sargent, doubles the number of goals Jozy Altidore scored for Sunderland in 1.5 years
deadbq03
AG
oh no said:

for a kid who pretty much played #9 growing up and so far for USYNTs and USMNT, the coaches at both Bremen and Norwich have used him in a multitude of ways in the midfield, right back, right wing, and right wingback.
He's here, he's there, he's every ****ing where! Sar-gent!
boogieman
AG
Love it!
fig96
AG

TRM
AG
Not a good start for Dike.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/west-bromwich-albion-engwest_brom/story/4576460/usmnts-daryl-dike-out-2-weeks-with-hamstring-injury-in-west-brom-full-debut
PatAg
AG

what are we doing
jeffk
AG
USSF is so afraid of having a hostile crowd that we're playing in conditions likely to be a detriment to our own ability to win.
Mathguy64
AG
PatAg said:

what are we doing
We are explaining to El Salvador and Honduras in no uncertain terms that we can play "our home field so screw you" games too.
fig96
AG

deadbq03
AG
Mathguy64 said:

PatAg said:

what are we doing
We are explaining to El Salvador and Honduras in no uncertain terms that we can play "our home field so screw you" games too.
I like it!

However, I gotta think this has more to do with having to play in Canada in the middle of this window.

I imagine it's better to just get our guys used to playing in one crappy climate than have them bounce all over the continent this window.
Out in Left Field
AG
jeffk said:

USSF is so afraid of having a hostile crowd that we're playing in conditions likely to be a detriment to our own ability to win.

Ah yes, the Packers method
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

Mathguy64 said:

PatAg said:

what are we doing
I like it!

However, I gotta think this has more to do with having to play in Canada in the middle of this window.

I imagine it's better to just get our guys used to playing in one crappy climate than have them bounce all over the continent this window.
Its a combination of that and minimizing travel, as far as what they have communicated.

I just don't know that I agree. There are plenty of places where we could have home field advantage, but play in good playing conditions. We dont need ****ty field conditions to beat these teams, if anything we have the technical advantage and should want better playing conditions.

Pictures look cool though
Aston94
AG
Here is weather forecast for our games:

Columbus--High 31, low 26--- slight chance of snow

Hamilton--High 19, low 8---slight chance of snow

Twin Cities---High 17, low 11---slight chance of snow.

Only game I didn't really agree with was Minneapolis after the Canada game. I think there is a risk of our team being worn out from playing in these conditions for three games in a row. Would have preferred that in Nashville, or Dallas, or Portland. Somewhere cool, but not arctic.
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

Here is weather forecast for our games:

Columbus--High 31, low 26--- slight chance of snow

Hamilton--High 19, low 8---slight chance of snow

Twin Cities---High 17, low 11---slight chance of snow.

Only game I didn't really agree with was Minneapolis after the Canada game. I think there is a risk of our team being worn out from playing in these conditions for three games in a row. Would have preferred that in Nashville, or Dallas, or Portland. Somewhere cool, but not arctic.
Unfortunately, you can't really play a meaningful USMNT game against any Central American team anywhere in DFW (or Texas)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.