***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

182,592 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cruzdoggie
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tyler Adams actually did start as an old-school Sweeper last week in Leipzig's EL match. He had done it once before a couple years ago under Nagelsmann, but that was in a German cup match against minnows. Sadly this time proved to be a disaster for the first 10-12 minutes and he was yanked at halftime.

It was a really odd choice from the coach… especially considering he put Klostermann who's an RB/CB at RWB, where Adams could've played… and after halftime, he indeed moved Klostermann to CB, but subbed Adams off for a different RWB.

Sadly I think Adams is going to struggle to find playing time for Leipzig under this new coach for a variety of reasons.
akm91
AG
That's just weird. I'm wondering if a move to another league may do some good. He would fit in well with teams that play like Liverpool and Chelsea. I can see him as Kante's replacement if he ever leaves Chelsea.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
deadbq03
AG
Arsenal rumors were floating around in the winter window. Who knows how legit they were or if they'll push again in the summer.

On the plus side, I think the only reason the coach even tried this was due to Adams' leadership. Their veteran CB was out that game, and Adams was back there directing traffic with 19 and 21 year olds on either side of him. By the end of the first half, I'd argue that it was working, but it was a train wreck at the beginning.

Adams' biggest issue right now isn't the coach per se, but rather that Leipzig's other 6 (Laimer) returned from a very long injury spell late in the fall and is in fantastic form after the winter break. He's not quite as good as Adams defensively (who is?), but he's unquestionably better in attack so he's a better choice in most circumstances.
oh no
AG
If they have a better 6 than Tyler Adams, Adams should be able to play 2 for them. Seems like he should be good enough to have a spot in their best 11 no matter what. Asking him to play sweeper might not have worked out, but in addition to 6 or 2, he'd be a good 4 in four man back line or 4/ RCB in a 3 man back line, it seems doubtful that they'd have better options.
TRM
AG
deadbq03 said:

I had never paid attention to the UEFA WCQ qualification before. If I'm reading it correctly, they don't mess around:

1) Win your group (10 teams qualify)

OR

2) Face single elimination in a mini-playoff pod of four teams (there are three pods total). Winner of each pod automatically qualifies. (3 teams qualify)

If I'm reading it correctly, then there's a decent chance Italy and/or Portugal could fail to make it if they get a bad draw. Even if they get a good draw, it's single elimination, so anything could happen (come on N. Macedonia!)

Here's a link I found explaining the process:
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2022-playoffs-when-draw-date-fixtures-schedule-how-qualifiers-work-seeding-explained-1303406
Poland is refusing to play Russia in the playoff semifinal.
jeffk
AG
Swedish federation also came out in support of Poland's decision.
Mathguy64
AG
This is fascinating. We are talking about FIFA and UEFA, one of the most corrupt and bribe based organizations short of the Mafia, that may end up putting more political and public pressure on a despotic dictator than every country and politician in the world.

UEFA will have a hard choice. If Poland refuses to play do they award Russia a forfeit win? And if Sweden and Czech do the same so they award the WC spot to Russia? Or do they kick Russia out of the process? Letting Russia through would get ugly as then the pressure on FIFA in Qatar would be immense.

That WC in Qatar by the way that awarded by what everyone now knows was based 100% on pure bribery and whose stadiums were built with all but out and out slavery.

Yeah. The irony here is amazing.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Rumors of Jesse Marsch to Leeds.
wangus12
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

That is a downgrade
Mathguy64
AG
Sweden and the Czech Republic made it official. They have publicly stated they will not play Russia at any venue including a neutral one. Now UEFA is on the hot seat.
deadbq03
AG
wangus12 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

That is a downgrade
Curious if you mean it's a downgrade for Leeds… or if perhaps you didn't know that Marsch was sacked by Leipzig months ago.

ETA: Or perhaps you didn't mean this in the spirit of "WTH is he doing?" and more in the spirit of "sucks that he's fallen this far." In which case, I'll join you in that lament.
TRM
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Sweden and the Czech Republic made it official. They have publicly stated they will not play Russia at any venue including a neutral one. Now UEFA is on the hot seat.
jeffk
AG
Hope the nations don't back down and force UEFA and FIFA to choose Russia over them.
wangus12
AG
deadbq03 said:

wangus12 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

That is a downgrade
Curious if you mean it's a downgrade for Leeds… or if perhaps you didn't know that Marsch was sacked by Leipzig months ago.

ETA: Or perhaps you didn't mean this in the spirit of "WTH is he doing?" and more in the spirit of "sucks that he's fallen this far." In which case, I'll join you in that lament.

More along the lines of 2nd paragraph. Goes from taking over a promising side in the CL to losing his job on 5 month to possibly taking over a drowning Leeds team
wangus12
AG
TRM said:

Mathguy64 said:

Guess that unnamed Russian team is going to win the World Cup. Other countries are coming out saying they'll refuse to play them as well.
TRM
AG
wangus12 said:

TRM said:

Mathguy64 said:

Guess that unnamed Russian team is going to win the World Cup. Other countries are coming out saying they'll refuse to play them as well.
Don't worry Iran will play them in an epic 2 team tournament.
deadbq03
AG
This doesn't relate to USMNT (other than it being beneficial to Tyler Adams' team) so please forgive me… but since we're on the topic, this is a much bolder stance from UEFA, if true… Spartak Moscow will be kicked out of the Europa League and Leipzig will get a free pass to the next round.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17794148/spartak-moscow-kicked-out-europa-league-uefa-leipzig/amp/
jeffk
AG
Yeah, FIFA came out with a weak-sauce IOC-style set of "sanctions" yesterday. Poland responded by saying they were standing firm on their commitment to not play any Russian team anywhere under any name/flag and asked for the support of other federations to commit to doing the same. I saw USSF tweet out a commitment to do so as well as the same from a couple other nations this morning. Lo and behold, FIFA and UEFA are going to kick the Russian teams out of all competitions across all levels.
Aston94
AG
wangus12 said:

deadbq03 said:

wangus12 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

That is a downgrade

More along the lines of 2nd paragraph. Goes from taking over a promising side in the CL to losing his job on 5 month to possibly taking over a drowning Leeds team
EPL Job is an EPL job, not ever a downgrade to go to EPL as it currently exists.

Leeds should stay up, has a pretty talented roster, and have shown an interest in additional investment. I think it is a great opportunity for him.
TRM
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, FIFA came out with a weak-sauce IOC-style set of "sanctions" yesterday. Poland responded by saying they were standing firm on their commitment to not play any Russian team anywhere under any name/flag and asked for the support of other federations to commit to doing the same. I saw USSF tweet out a commitment to do so as well as the same from a couple other nations this morning. Lo and behold, FIFA and UEFA are going to kick the Russian teams out of all competitions across all levels.
I hadn't seen that yet, but heard UEFA had a meeting scheduled tomorrow about it. I did see the IOC call for the expulsion of Russian athletes which lead to a probably Russian ban.
jeffk
AG
Here's the puzzle pieces:

I know FIFA/EUFA hasn't finalized any move, but it's sounding very likely they'll announce a full ban today.
Mathguy64
AG
TRM said:

jeffk said:

I hadn't seen that yet, but heard UEFA had a meeting scheduled tomorrow about it. I did see the IOC call for the expulsion of Russian athletes which lead to a probably Russian ban.
UEFA kicked Spartak out of the UEL but thats not the same as kicking Russia out of the WCQ. And so far FIFA has accepted the bribe money and kept Russia in.

The IOC this is pure BS. 3 weeks ago they didnt have the balls to kick out a doping Russian skater. And havent kicked Russians out en mass for the 4 plus years they have competed under the "ROC" flag because of blatant and systematic doping. But now that the Olympics are over they get on their white horse and say "kick them out".
DeangeloVickers
AG
Even more fun Carlos Cordeiro is running again to be US President. What a **** organization.

I think he's awful and I like him more than current President. Gracious
TRM
AG
Mathguy64 said:

TRM said:

jeffk said:

UEFA kicked Spartak out of the UEL but thats not the same as kicking Russia out of the WCQ. And so far FIFA has accepted the bribe money and kept Russia in.

The IOC this is pure BS. 3 weeks ago they didnt have the balls to kick out a doping Russian skater. And havent kicked Russians out en mass for the 4 plus years they have competed under the "ROC" flag because of blatant and systematic doping. But now that the Olympics are over they get on their white horse and say "kick them out".
I don't want to derail too much from WCQ.

I agree the ROC thing is bs. The skater is more nuanced since she a minor, but she shouldn't be there in the 1st place - see ROC. Depending on how protracted this gets, 2024 Olympic qualifying could be affected. Also, no major tournaments for the athletes, like T&F world championships later this year.

Even if Russia gets a ban, there's still the CAS that Russia would appeal to (more bribe money).

jeffk
AG
Times is now reporting the impending Russian ban from WCQ.

young eugene
Mathguy64
AG
Sponsor checks >>>>>> bribe checks. At least so far.

Being cynical sucks.
deadbq03
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Being cynical sucks.
Especially if their bank accounts are frozen and currency is worthless.
Mathguy64
AG
deadbq03 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Being cynical sucks.
Especially if their bank accounts are frozen and currency is worthless.
I'm sure FIFA would take Bitcoin.

Actually I'm pretty sure FIFA has taken Bitcoin.
tysker
AG
Not sure how I feel about this. Penalizing players, coaches, and staff based on decisions of politicians seems spurious. From very much the outside looking in. And of course invading a sovereign nation is a different level. I don't know, it just seems like there's no end game and I see a future where the US is on the wrong side of these decisions. ****ty al around
jeffk
AG
I'm not overly concerned - invading a sovereign nation unprovoked is a pretty high bar and it took a large number of national federations to say they wouldn't play the Russians anywhere or under any name/flag for UEFA/FIFA to budge.
Aston94
AG
Is a bit of a no-brainer really. If you take an aggressive action of starting a war against a sovereign nation, invading their territory, then you should be kicked out of events like the World Cup.

I have no issue with this at all.
tysker
AG
Ya, and there's so much bitterness and history there that we'll never comprehend. I legitimately feel bad for the players, coaches, etc.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, definitely. Of note, this collateral damage is of far less consequence than that being endured by normal Ukrainians at the moment.
Aston94
AG
tysker said:

Ya, and there's so much bitterness and history there that we'll never comprehend. I legitimately feel bad for the players, coaches, etc.
I feel worse for the Ukrainians that are living in subway stops right now, huddling over their kids trying to keep them safe.

Players and coaches need to put pressure on their government. Public protests from within will put an end to Putin's reign.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.