***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

183,484 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

When Gio's dad Claudio was a big part of the USMNT that was always the big issue with him. He was great on the field, was always the driver of the team, but he just couldn't seem to stay healthy.

I hope Gio didn't inherit the perpetual injury bug from his dad.
Is that true, that doesn't really jive with what I remember without going to look it up.
John O'Brien is the one I really remember struggling with health, so maybe that overhsadowed it.
Just a quick look at his wikipedia page just for reference (have bolded references to injuries):

As a U.S. national player, Reyna got his first cap against Norway on January 15, 1994. He was a member of the team at the 1994 FIFA World Cup, but did not play due to injury. Reyna did play in the 1998, 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups.
In 2002, despite sitting out the opening 32 upset win over Portugal due to injury, he was a key contributor in the next three U.S. games a tie against South Korea, a loss to Poland, and a win over CONCACAF rival Mexico. In the quarterfinals, the U.S. lost to eventual runner-up Germany. He became only the third American ever (after Bert Patenaude and John Souza) named to the World Cup all-tournament team.
In 2006, Reyna again captained the U.S. at the World Cup in Germany. Trailing 10 in the opener against the Czech Republic, Reyna fired a 30-yard shot that bounced off the post, the best American chance in the game. In the final group game against Ghana, Reyna suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament when he lost the ball to Haminu Draman who then dribbled in alone and scored Ghana's first goal.
On June 23, 2006, the day after the U.S. was eliminated from the World Cup, Reyna announced his retirement from the national team. He ended his international career with 111 caps and eight goals.

I loved Reyna, he was my favorite player for the USMNT. But yes, he was injured quite often. John O'Brien was a very tragic tale, he was even worse than Reyna as far as always being hurt.
So you just listed 4 World Cups, he missed the first at age 21 due to injury(may not have played anyways?). Then he missed one game in 2002 and played in the next 4 in a row. He played in all 3 games of 2006, and got injured in the 3rd.
We'd have to see his availability for WCQ and his club to really answer, and that would be very unlikely to be available.
I'll take your word for it, but I wouldnt consider missing 1 game and getting injured in another over the course of 3 world cups quite often injured.
akm91
AG
McKennie gets the start for Juve
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aston94
AG
PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

When Gio's dad Claudio was a big part of the USMNT that was always the big issue with him. He was great on the field, was always the driver of the team, but he just couldn't seem to stay healthy.

Is that true, that doesn't really jive with what I remember without going to look it up.
John O'Brien is the one I really remember struggling with health, so maybe that overhsadowed it.
Just a quick look at his wikipedia page just for reference (have bolded references to injuries):

As a U.S. national player, Reyna got his first cap against Norway on January 15, 1994. He was a member of the team at the 1994 FIFA World Cup, but did not play due to injury. Reyna did play in the 1998, 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups.
In 2002, despite sitting out the opening 32 upset win over Portugal due to injury, he was a key contributor in the next three U.S. games a tie against South Korea, a loss to Poland, and a win over CONCACAF rival Mexico. In the quarterfinals, the U.S. lost to eventual runner-up Germany. He became only the third American ever (after Bert Patenaude and John Souza) named to the World Cup all-tournament team.
In 2006, Reyna again captained the U.S. at the World Cup in Germany. Trailing 10 in the opener against the Czech Republic, Reyna fired a 30-yard shot that bounced off the post, the best American chance in the game. In the final group game against Ghana, Reyna suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament when he lost the ball to Haminu Draman who then dribbled in alone and scored Ghana's first goal.
On June 23, 2006, the day after the U.S. was eliminated from the World Cup, Reyna announced his retirement from the national team. He ended his international career with 111 caps and eight goals.

I loved Reyna, he was my favorite player for the USMNT. But yes, he was injured quite often. John O'Brien was a very tragic tale, he was even worse than Reyna as far as always being hurt.
So you just listed 4 World Cups, he missed the first at age 21 due to injury(may not have played anyways?). Then he missed one game in 2002 and played in the next 4 in a row. He played in all 3 games of 2006, and got injured in the 3rd.
We'd have to see his availability for WCQ and his club to really answer, and that would be very unlikely to be available.
I'll take your word for it, but I wouldnt consider missing 1 game and getting injured in another over the course of 3 world cups quite often injured.
Okay Captain Argumentative. I followed his career quite closely, he was injured...a lot. I love the guy but he was, I am not making it up as some sort of knock on him. Here is his club career snippet from Wikipedia, you might notice a trend:

Rangers
On April 1, 1999, Rangers paid $826,400 to Wolfsburg and $2.76 million to Leverkusen for Reyna. Reyna would remain with Rangers until December 2001. Despite building his reputation in Germany and on the national team as a creative midfielder, he spent most of his years at Rangers playing right midfield. He scored thirteen goals for the Ibrox club in all competitions, one of the most notable was a strike that proved decisive over Italian club Parma for qualification for the 1999-2000 UEFA Champions League.

Sunderland
From Rangers, he transferred to Premier League side Sunderland, who paid 2.85 million for his services.
In October 2002, he injured the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee, keeping him out of action for the rest of the 2002-03 season.

Manchester City
Reyna joined Manchester City on August 29, 2003, for 2.5 million after a move on the same fee to Fulham collapsed. Reyna's time at City was frequently punctuated by injury, restricting him to thirty appearances in his first season with the club, and causing him to miss six months of the 2004-05 season. In three and a half seasons at the City of Manchester Stadium, Reyna made 87 appearances, scoring four goals and was a popular player with City supporters.

New York Red Bulls
On January 24, 2007, Reyna signed with New York Red Bulls, where he rejoined his former University of Virginia and U.S. national team head coach Bruce Arena. However, much like his years in Britain, Reyna was almost constantly bothered by injuries. He only played in twenty-seven games during two years with New York and only six games in 2008 as he rehabilitated a herniated disc. Reyna announced his professional retirement on July 16, 2008.

TRM
AG
Pulisic with a goal!
Aston94
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
McKennie hurt
AgGrad99
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

McKennie hurt
Hurt, hurt....or just something minor?
Ag Since 83
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

McKennie hurt
Hurt, hurt....or just something minor?
It looked pretty bad. Subbed immediately, hopping off on one leg, in real pain
AgGrad99
AG
dang. Hope it's nothing serious.
akm91
AG
Damn! The most in form player in the player pool right now too.
Ag Since 83
AG
jeffk
AG
Looked like an ankle injury. Hope it's just a minor sprain. Next international window is the end of March.
theNetSmith
AG
not a 'spectacular' goal, but a great goal, IMHO. excellent placement and he had the presence of mind to semi-chip the ball over the keeper's legs.. seems like I have seen him do that before. blue star for CP.
TRM
AG
jeffk said:

Looked like an ankle injury. Hope it's just a minor sprain. Next international window is the end of March.
For those that haven't seen it.
gougler08
AG
TRM said:

jeffk said:

For those that haven't seen it.

Prepping him for next round of CONCACAF I guess
jeffk
AG
Ffffffff….

AgGrad99
Kampfers
AG
Midfield looking mighty thin for the next set of qualifiers
PatAg
AG
This is why you build depth, and dont just plan on having everyone available.
Its nice to have a best 11, but great teams have players they can slot in.

We can still run out Adams at the 6, musah, ldlt at the 8s
Others can also be slotted in, or even try Pulisic inside.

It will suck, because he has been playing a great 2 way player for us lately. In good form, and kept increasing his performances every month.

If its just a foot fracture, that could actually be better than doing his ankle. If he also sprained the ankle, then that sucks (long term recovery wise)
Knucklesammich
Talking to an Ortho buddy he's seeing both fracture and rupture being reported. Fracture he said is 2-3 months and rupture (lisfranc) is closer to 6.

Gutted for him, he has been a beast for club and country.
Rudyjax
AG
Knucklesammich said:

Talking to an Ortho buddy he's seeing both fracture and rupture being reported. Fracture he said is 2-3 months and rupture (lisfranc) is closer to 6.

At this point Is be happy with him healthy and in form for the WC.
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

Okay Captain Argumentative. I followed his career quite closely, he was injured...a lot. I love the guy but he was, I am not making it up as some sort of knock on him. Here is his club career snippet from Wikipedia, you might notice a trend:

Rangers
On April 1, 1999, Rangers paid $826,400 to Wolfsburg and $2.76 million to Leverkusen for Reyna. Reyna would remain with Rangers until December 2001. Despite building his reputation in Germany and on the national team as a creative midfielder, he spent most of his years at Rangers playing right midfield. He scored thirteen goals for the Ibrox club in all competitions, one of the most notable was a strike that proved decisive over Italian club Parma for qualification for the 1999-2000 UEFA Champions League.

Sunderland
From Rangers, he transferred to Premier League side Sunderland, who paid 2.85 million for his services.
In October 2002, he injured the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee, keeping him out of action for the rest of the 2002-03 season.

Manchester City
Reyna joined Manchester City on August 29, 2003, for 2.5 million after a move on the same fee to Fulham collapsed. Reyna's time at City was frequently punctuated by injury, restricting him to thirty appearances in his first season with the club, and causing him to miss six months of the 2004-05 season. In three and a half seasons at the City of Manchester Stadium, Reyna made 87 appearances, scoring four goals and was a popular player with City supporters.

New York Red Bulls
On January 24, 2007, Reyna signed with New York Red Bulls, where he rejoined his former University of Virginia and U.S. national team head coach Bruce Arena. However, much like his years in Britain, Reyna was almost constantly bothered by injuries. He only played in twenty-seven games during two years with New York and only six games in 2008 as he rehabilitated a herniated disc. Reyna announced his professional retirement on July 16, 2008.

Literally said I'll take your word for it, Corporal.
akm91
AG
Hopefully the depth that's been built will get us over the finish line.
Knucklesammich
Aye Davanita said:

Knucklesammich said:

At this point Is be happy with him healthy and in form for the WC.

10000%
Ag Since 83
AG
I just don't understand, how is Mexico going to choke Weston if he's not on the pitch?
akm91
AG
Anyone know Weah's status? He didn't play so wasn't sure if it was just coaches decision or there are fitness concerns?
akm91
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I just don't understand, how is Mexico going to choke Weston if he's not on the pitch?
Tyler/Musah better whatch out for HH's claws!
KCup17
AG
I think it was just coaches decision. He's healthy and been getting minutes. I think Lille made some poor subs yesterday and Weah got left on the bench because of it.
Aston94
AG
PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

Rangers

Sunderland

Manchester City

New York Red Bulls

I will take that as your admission of being wrong. Thanks.
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

Rangers

Sunderland

Manchester City

New York Red Bulls

I will take that as your admission of being wrong. Thanks.
What would be really interesting would be to see if Claudio also had hamstring issues.
There are some good articles out there, but essentially with the increase in sports sciences we are seeing a rise in these kinds of injuries. So athletes are in better shape and are stronger, but we also are able to push them to their limits more precisely as well. My guess would be that most clubs are bringing players back sooner than they probably should be, especially the younger players these injuries seem to happen more often too.

Not just in soccer, but you see it in football a lot as well.
jeffk
AG
8 weeks recovery time is what Juve is saying for WM this morning.
RebAg13
AG
jeffk said:

Great news
PatAg
AG
RebAg13 said:

jeffk said:

Great news
It will be after the last qualifying window, but it is good that they seem to not expect it to be some half a year situation. Should hopefully give him time to round back into form
Rudyjax
AG
RebAg13 said:

jeffk said:

Great news

It's crazy how 8 weeks sounds amazing considering we were thinking 6 months.
akm91
AG
Dest is starting today but listed as left center back?

Backline: Alba, Desk, Pique, Araujo

Ok, ESPN fixed their graphic and has Dest in right back instead of left center back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.