***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,551 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
aggiephoenix02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JJxvi said:

So you agree that Marsch is less accomplished than Bradley (who I love).

Again, the point of that post was to challenge the fact that Jesse Marsch's opinion would be in any way "damning" even if he was posting something negative about Berhalter
Sorry, gotcha. I agree...
tysker
AG
TRM said:

Some advice from Twellman.

How long has Taylor had that gif sitting in a folder waiting to be used?
aggiephoenix02
I wish Taylor had made the World Cup squad in his prime, we could have used him, and he deserved & earned his spot...
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

I wish Taylor had made the World Cup squad in his prime, we could have used him, and he deserved & earned his spot...

Taylor was the Wondolowski of his era. A good MLS player that wasn't an International level player.
PatAg
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

Taylor was the Wondolowski of his era. A good MLS player that wasn't an International level player.
CONCACAF level though
aggiephoenix02
H.E. Pennypacker said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

He would have been very effective in a World Cup in my opinion. Y'all act like every team is a killer, more than half the teams in any given World Cup are below average. Outside of Euro and South American royalty Taylor would have had a feast...
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

CONCACAF level though
More or less another Wondo parallel
Furlock Bones
AG
well, here we are. have to have 3 points today.
jeffk
AG
Kickoff is at 10:30 ET....
Rudyjax
AG
I'm thinking we lose.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm thinking that one way or the other we see what this team is made of.
Thunder18
AG
Is someone going to do the *****official game thread***** to see if we can get some positive juju going?

Furlock Bones
AG
jeffk said:

Kickoff is at 10:30 ET....
that's good. players can't be at the clubs if your game is just starting.
mrmill3218
AG
This is the point I've been trying to make: the US, although we've been winning, hasn't played well at all.

https://deadspin.com/we-totally-forgot-that-this-usmnt-hasn-t-played-very-we-1847631204
Rudyjax
AG
So...is this right?

McKennie brought a nookie girl back to his room. Got suspended for Canada.

While suspended, he spent the night outside the bubble.

Is that correct?
jeffk
AG
mrmill3218 said:

This is the point I've been trying to make: the US, although we've been winning, hasn't played well at all.

https://deadspin.com/we-totally-forgot-that-this-usmnt-hasn-t-played-very-we-1847631204

Yeah... I think people naturally associate teams in good form with scoring goals and we haven't had a ton of success there, but we have defended at a really high level for a good while now across multiple tournaments (which was why how we conceded Canada's goal the other night was so shocking to me). So it's easy to put up a headline like that, but outside of finishing, the team has been playing pretty well.
boogieman
AG
Thunder18 said:

Is someone going to do the *****official game thread***** to see if we can get some positive juju going?

I'm with you. We need a proper game thread.
jeffk
AG
Here ya go!

https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/3224699/replies/60099462#60099462
mrmill3218
AG
jeffk said:

mrmill3218 said:

Yeah... I think people naturally associate teams in good form with scoring goals and we haven't had a ton of success there, but we have defended at a really high level for a good while now across multiple tournaments (which was why how we conceded Canada's goal the other night was so shocking to me). So it's easy to put up a headline like that, but outside of finishing, the team has been playing pretty well.
We've defended well, but that's really it imo.

Beat Mexico twice but didn't really string three passes together in either game.
fig96
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Interesting read and I agree with the general premise.

But I think the flaw is that it seems to say that because we don't have the ideal options we can't blame Gregggg and that's problematic.

Is Sargent the perfect solution? Nope, but 8 minutes isn't enough time for anything to really happen and we needed a boost (and Sargent did get quickly involved and might have done something given another 10 minutes). Was it the ideal debut for Pepi? It wasn't, but the kid has a serious nose for goal and might have been the X factor we needed.

To sum up, let's revisit the words of the wise one, US Soccer's own Yoda, the one and only true Deuce…fellow Texan Clint Dempsey:

"Try *****"
mrmill3218
AG
fig96 said:

mrmill3218 said:

Interesting read and I agree with the general premise.

But I think the flaw is that it seems to say that because we don't have the ideal options we can't blame Gregggg and that's problematic.

Is Sargent the perfect solution? Nope, but 8 minutes isn't enough time for anything to really happen and we needed a boost (and Sargent did get quickly involved and might have done something either another 10 minutes). Was it the ideal debut for Pepi? It wasn't, but the kid has a serious nose for goal and might have been the X factor we needed.

To sum up, let's revisit the words of the wise one, US Soccer's own Yoda, the one and only true Deuce…fellow Texan Clint Dempsey:

"Try *****"

I don't agree with that part of the article - how it defends Greggg. I think he is to blame, that he shouldn't have gotten the gig in the first place, and that he should be sacked now while there is still time. Unfortunately we have been winning and it has papered over the cracks. The part of the article that I agree with is just that we've been winning but not playing well, and again I think gregggg is to blame.
Rudyjax
AG
I'm blaming this loss on Adams. We literally had the best GSO of the night and he got called for a foul behind the ball.
KCup17
AG
To all you who want to fire Gregg, what reasonable explanation do you have for wanting to do so?
Furlock Bones
AG
KCup17 said:

To all you who want to fire Gregg, what reasonable explanation do you have for wanting to do so?
plenty of reasonable explanations have already been given.
fig96
AG
KCup17 said:

Theres also a very reasonable gray area here.

I don't think he should have gotten the job in the first place (especially as there was never a true search done) and I have a lot of issues with how he's doing things, but I also don't think that it makes sense to fire him right now.

That said, not being able to pull more than 3 points from this initial run of matches with the talent we have is a very valid reason for some heavy scrutiny. Winning Nations League and Gold Cup is great, but this is where it counts.
fig96
AG
Fair.
KCup17
AG
So if I've collected all the correct previously provided explanations its because he is not good tactically, shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place, makes poor substitutions, isn't trusted by the players, doesn't have a squad that scores goals... and just tied to 2 teams we should have beaten. Am I on the right track?
oh no
AG
I personally don't think Sargent is a poor quality #9. Enough chances aren't created for him, of course you want him to create some more himself and finish the chances he has had, but he's certainly strong and fast enough, effort/work rate is there. I see him making the attacking runs, applying high pressure, defending and winning balls from the #9 position, holdup play when needed, and we know he's capable of finishing if he and the team keep creating dangerous GSO's. He's 21 yrs old, playing at high level clubs, albeit a German club that was relegated and now an EPL club that will have to fight relegation, but he's only going to get better.

Do the USMNT fans that think Sargent is the problem expect Haaland, Lewandowski or Lukaku to walk through that door? Do they want Altidore on the WCQ squad? Can't wait for Zardes to get healthy? or what? After Sargent and Pefok, the options are who? Dike, Gioacchini, Gyasi Zardes, Jordan Morris? They're good, too, in different ways. A couple of them are injured for this Intl break anyway. I'd probably prefer Dike be on these WCQ rosters, but I'm not sure any of these guys are much better than Sargent or Pefok at this point. Can Weah (also injured), Aaronson, or Hoppe play CF instead of their usual winger positions well enough to finish and score more goals than Sargent or Pefok? Now might not be the best time to experiment.

Goals will be hard to come by in these matches. US shouldn't have conceded one to Canada - that's not on Pefok on Sunday and Sargent wasn't on the field. Of course Davies- one of, if not the fastest soccer player in the world, is going to blow by Yedlin given a good diagonal or through ball. The rest of the back line didn't track runners. One lapse like that from a central defender and you concede a goal and there's two points you're not getting in the Octagonal.

Want more goals? Pulisic (who is more of decoy/ tackling dummy in these concacaf matches for all intents and purposes), Aaronson, Konrad, any of the midfielders or full backs, or any of the CBs on set pieces can help create or score themselves - it can't all be on Sargent.
Rudyjax
AG
Sargent came in and created things. He should've came in at 65.
Furlock Bones
AG
KCup17 said:

So if I've collected all the correct previously provided explanations its because he is not good tactically, shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place, makes poor substitutions, isn't trusted by the players, doesn't have a squad that scores goals... and just tied to 2 teams we should have beaten. Am I on the right track?
as i mentioned earlier, he never deserved the job in the first place. he got it through US Soccer's long standing tradition of nepotism and corruption.

the trophies this summer were great. its always fun to win. even better to do it by beating el trash twice. but, those trophies are meaningless. WCQ and WC results are all that matter.

gregg can't put the ball in the net. but, he can set up his squad in a way that gives them better chances.
mrmill3218
AG
Furlock Bones said:

KCup17 said:

as i mentioned earlier, he never deserved the job in the first place. he got it through US Soccer's long standing tradition of nepotism and corruption.

the trophies this summer were great. its always fun to win. even better to do it by beating el trash twice. but, those trophies are meaningless. WCQ and WC results are all that matter.

gregg can't put the ball in the net. but, he can set up his squad in a way that gives them better chances.
Hey, he did have an impressive .500 record in MLS after getting fired by a bad Swedish club!
KCup17
AG
I agree on all these points. I was less than thrilled for his appointment to the position as well.

Yes it is nice to win the trophies but the WCQs is where the rubber meets the road. I just don't know if firing your coach in a 2nd successive window will improve our chances of qualifying for the WC.
The major difference between this situation and the Klinnsman situation was that Klinnsman had been in charge for 5 yrs at the time and we all were well aware of his short comings in competitive matches. In my opinion COVID has thrown a huge wrench in the equation of evaluating Gregg as a competent coach.

Finally, I feel as though our forwards/mids have been uncharacteristically bad at scoring goals. There have been quite a few chances and the end product has been pitiful.

TLDR; I agree that Gregg may have not been the best hire but he may be our only option.
Aston94
AG
Berhalter had a phenomenal summer, he really did. He beat Mexico...twice. Discounting that makes one look biased.

We have played 2 WCQ, both missing key players, and we have 2 draws. Let's see how he gets his team to respond tonight.
boogieman
AG
Juicy little gossip.

Weston was with Pulisic's sister.

https://www.deportestvc.com/weston-mckennie-y-hermana-de-pulisic-estados-unidos
Aston94
AG
boogieman said:

Juicy little gossip.

Weston was with Pulisic's sister.

https://www.deportestvc.com/weston-mckennie-y-hermana-de-pulisic-estados-unidos

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.