***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,663 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
TamuKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So this is only on Paramount+ (for English broadcast)?

Between my Direct TV, Direct TV Stream, ESPN+, Hulu, and assortment of other apps... I have to sign up for a trial to watch our National Team try to qualify for the World Cup.

That is... SAD.

Looks like I'll be learning Spanish tomorrow.
Rudyjax
AG
1836er said:

Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

1836er said:

gougler08 said:

Man our game is only Paramount+? Can't even get a Spanish version?
Really ticks me off it won't be broadcast on a regular cable/satellite channel.

I absolutely hate having to use the internet to watch live sporting events under normal circumstances, but especially so when it's not something I can use my TV credentials to sign in to.
The T&T game was only Bein, which at the time no one really had.

This sucks as I won't be home until late and cant just start when I want on Paramount.
Yeah I remember the Bein games last go around. It wasn't the greatest production quality, but at least it was easy to find on DirecTV. I could set my DVR if needs be and watch like normal. I think Bein was one of the channels in the low 600s by the SECN and regional sports networks).

It was on a package I never had.
PatAg
AG
It was on Bein or sometimes as pay per views too, I think a lot of people are either forgetting how difficult it was to watch the games the last 12+ years, or weren't watching back then. (no shame in that, the more the merrier)

It's not USSF fault either, I believe CONCACAF sells the away game rights.
If you had Bein, you were almost certainly spending more to have that package then you would need to spend now to have Paramount+...and DirectTV is ****tier than the streaming channels. Investing in a Roku or a Chromecast w/GoogleTV is something you should look into as well, then you arent stuck with only a monitor to watch.

I still think all the games should be on national channels during prime time, isntead of shunting them onto FS1 or streaming channels. Its freaking World Cup Qualifiers, not a friendly against a random team during camp cupcake.
akm91
AG
I have fubo.tv and listed Universo and Telemundo as carrying the match.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
Too many damn apps and streaming services out there.

i thought about upgrading my directv to the highest most expensive tier/package for a while- just to get Bein sports channel for more soccer... then, someone told me - don't - Playstation Vue comes with Bein! So I thought for a while about switching from directv to PS Vue... and then when I finally decided to pull the trigger, PS pulled Bein from their package... I ended up switching to comcast/xfinity which doesn't even offer Bein, I don't think, but now, the soccer I was going to get on Bein all seems to be on Peacock, Paramount+ and ESPN+.... I already had a Hulu sub that comes with the spotify account, so when we got Disney+ for the kids, we didn't get the upgraded Disney+ that comes with Hulu and ESPN+... ..but now I want ESPN+ for more soccer.. so I'm thinking about canceling my spotify sub, upgrading my Disney+ account to the one that comes with Hulu and ESPN+, and adding an apple music sub... what a mess!!
Aston94
AG

1836er said:

gougler08 said:

I absolutely hate having to use the internet to watch live sporting events under normal circumstances, but especially so when it's not something I can use my TV credentials to sign in to.

This sucks as I won't be home until late and cant just start when I want on Paramount.
This is my biggest issue with these streaming services. You either have to watch live or wait and watch it recorded. No recording and coming in 30 minutes after kick off.
Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

1836er said:

gougler08 said:

This is my biggest issue with these streaming services. You either have to watch live or wait and watch it recorded. No recording and coming in 30 minutes after kick off.

Yeah. Agreed 1000%.

Peacock doesn't let you pause when your watching live either. Like WTF?
jeffk
AG
Herc Gomez took Donovan to task on Twitter today for basically claiming he had insider knowledge about the situation and then not providing any sort of facts. So we're not the only ones around who aren't huge LD fans anymore apparently.
JJxvi
AG
PatAg said:

It was on Bein or sometimes as pay per views too, I think a lot of people are either forgetting how difficult it was to watch the games the last 12+ years, or weren't watching back then. (no shame in that, the more the merrier)

If you had Bein, you were almost certainly spending more to have that package then you would need to spend now to have Paramount+...and DirectTV is ****tier than the streaming channels. Investing in a Roku or a Chromecast w/GoogleTV is something you should look into as well, then you arent stuck with only a monitor to watch.

I still think all the games should be on national channels during prime time, isntead of shunting them onto FS1 or streaming channels. Its freaking World Cup Qualifiers, not a friendly against a random team during camp cupcake.

The home team owns the tv rights, thats why all the away games are sometimes on different channels (each country we play can sell it to a different channel or service) If CONCACAF had the rights, it would probably be better for us (the fans) since it would probably all get sold to one english and one spanish rights holder in the US like the gold cup does.
1836er
AG
PatAg said:

I agree wholeheartedly they should be on the major channels (ESPN, ABC/FOX) or at minimum the next tier (ESPN2, FS1, etc.). And you're right, it's CONCACAF that sells those rights, and we all know they're more corrupt than a three dollar bill.

In my case I have subscribed to the regional sports pack (and NHL Center Ice) with DirecTV since 2002, and I believe BEIN was part of the regional sports pack last WCQ.

My other point was, I simply don't prefer to watch TV, especially live sports, streaming on the internet, PERIOD. It doesn't matter what service it is, or what program, or interface, or who is streaming it, or what device I'm using... I don't want to watch live sports streaming on the internet unless it's my only option. I'll do it for Aggie soccer, Aggie baseball, and Aggie softball because most of those games are only on SECN+, but if they were on the regular cable/satellite channels I would never fire up the ESPN app as my first choice.

That being said... I really do appreciate having the option to stream and having the "backup" of my DirecTV credentials on the (very) rare occasion a storm is strong enough to temporarily interfere with the satellite signal. But to me, the option to stream is my backup plan... not my first choice.

On the other hand, unfortunately, if I got rid of cable/satellite, there is no backup for when the internet is down in reverse.

That being said, we do have three Roku TVs in our house, and two of us use various streaming services extensively and prefer it for regular TV shows/movies. They are happy streaming, and if that makes them happy I'm happy to pay for whatever streaming services they desire that don't already come with our DirecTV credentials.

PatAg
AG
We basically got about 3-4 years of cord cutting, and now its crept back to where it was with cable...except now you have to manage about 5-8 differnet services to do it.
gougler08
AG
PatAg said:

We basically got about 3-4 years of cord cutting, and now its crept back to where it was with cable...except now you have to manage about 5-8 differnet services to do it.
Yep, I knew it'd eventually come back to this, but damn it's still frustrating
DeangeloVickers
AG
Roger Dorn was able to get over it with Wild Thing....whichever player needs to get over it with McKennie
PatAg
AG
I don't believe it was anyones sister. I think he just brought some random hoochymama or two in, and hes just gotta be smarter than that.
DeangeloVickers
AG
PatAg said:

I don't believe it was anyones sister. I think he just brought some random hoochymama or two in, and hes just gotta be smarter than that.
It's dumb to suspend and throw a Landon Donovan hissy fit then....
oh no
AG
I would have thought he's been fare l'amore with some supermodel-looking fine sophisticated Italian ladies for the last year... but now that I think about it, perhaps all the ladies in northern Italy have really hairy legs and armpits so he had to get some patriotic action back home.
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

But you can cancel or pause any of those services within 30 seconds and don't have to rent a cable box.
mrmill3218
AG
Is Gregggg actually on the hot seat?

Does he get sacked if we drop points tomorrow?
jeffk
AG
I don't think so.

I think USSF will ride with him until after the WC (assuming we qualify) or we're eliminated from qualification. Replacing him mid-stream to salvage qualification isn't likely IMO.
mrmill3218
AG
What's crazy is that I feel like we were better under Sarachan.

I just think he picked who he saw were the best guys and told them to go play. There is no shame in this as a national team manager imo.

I honestly don't feel like Gregggg has any idea what he's doing from a tactical standpoint. And I think the players are starting to realize that.
jeffk
AG
There it is.

DeangeloVickers
AG
Good, they need to put story out especially after Landon Donovan threw fire on it
oh no
AG

Mathguy64
AG
Weston needs to grow up. Country before nookie. Especially broken quarantine or curfew nookie.

Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood had to learn the same lesson for england.
akm91
AG
Weston has to know better than that especially after his incident at Juve already. Really poor decision making for a leader of the team.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
TRM
AG
Some advice from Twellman.
Furlock Bones
AG
Was literally coming to Post this.
aggiephoenix02
So y'all are crapping on: Donovan, Bob Bradley, Gregg, and a few others.

Y'all are some sorry ass MFs...
aggiephoenix02
I'm gonna side with the old guard on this... you know... the group that actually made the World Cup, won points and advanced in the World Cup, and actually know what they are doing and talking about.

But by all means, y'all keep crapping on all the people that have don so much for USA soccer...
JJxvi
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

So y'all are crapping on: Donovan, Bob Bradley, Gregg, and a few others.

Y'all are some sorry ass MFs...
Who crapped on Bob Bradley? If you're talking about my post, Jesse "Greatest American Coach in Europe!" Marsch was obviously the target.
aggiephoenix02
Get outta here, you called him a know-nothing...
JJxvi
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Yeah, the whole point was that Jesse Marsch, once he gets fired and gets a job back in MLS before getting hired by the USMNT like so many seem to want, really wouldn't be any more accomplished than Bob Bradley or Gregg Berhalter, two guys who have been the whipping boys of euro-snobdom. The point was mainly that the guy considered by everyone right now to be the current "know-nothing" coach, Gregg Berhalter, was once the "greatest american coach in europe."
aggiephoenix02
JJxvi said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

Yeah, the whole point was that Jesse Marsch, once he gets fired and gets a job back in MLS before getting hired by the USMNT like so many seem to want, really wouldn't be any more accomplished than Bob Bradley or Gregg Berhalter, two guys who have been the whipping boys of euro-snobdom. The point was mainly that the guy considered by everyone right now to be the current "know-nothing" coach, Gregg Berhalter, was once the "greatest american coach in europe."
You're delusional! Bob Bradley took us to a World Cup! He was one game away from taking Egypt to a World Cup! Get outta here with this nonsense...
PatAg
AG
JJxvi said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

I dunno, Marsch has already had more success at Salzburg then Berhalter ever did in Europe at a MUCH lower level.
I also think everyone overreacted to him liking a tweet, when it was pretty obvious there was no way he actually meant to.

I do also think Gregg, while not a great offensive mastermind, definitely has a great grasp of other aspects of the job. Remains to be seen if he can continue to get better.
JJxvi
AG
So you agree that Marsch is less accomplished than Bradley (who I love).

Again, the point of that post was to challenge the fact that Jesse Marsch's opinion would be in any way "damning" even if he was posting something negative about Berhalter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.