Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

522,149 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've been gettin banded near JV for a while
tylercsbn9
AG
I wouldn't expect school in cy fair again tomorrow
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Serves you dirty mf'er ls right. Beta washing out JV, then on to the livable forest. Roll on big Beta!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Clear Creek ISD cancelled a little while ago.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Yeah, this is kinda bullcrap. It probably won't rain past 0900 tomorrow down here. They shouldn't have canceled at all this week. Soft. soft.
jenn96
AG
Wondering when CyFair will pull the trigger. Today was rough.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Yeah, this is kinda bullcrap. It probably won't rain past 0900 tomorrow down here. They shouldn't have canceled at all this week. Soft. soft.

I kinda get it. The coastal schools for CCISD still have streets with water. Sounds like they're forecasting more rain for tonight. We'll see. Mostly I think they don't want to have school and then have to have parents come pick them up halfway through the day.
Ag83
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I would imagine there are access problems at some of their schools (e.g., Seabrook). Not sure why they couldn't do online with those students though since they are already largely set up for it I'd think.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Half of Pearland is still under water. PISD just said they'll decide by 530 am.

So that's nice.
gougler08
AG
So is the consensus that north of I-10 is going to get it worse than the south side tonight?
wessimo
AG
Panama Red said:

wessimo said:

I remember people calling Harvey a nothingburger after it came ashore also.

Stop being that guy.

This is why you don't declare a slow-moving tropical cyclone a nothingburger right after landfall even if it looks like crap.
Jet Black
We aren't comparing this to harvey are we?
wessimo
AG
I'm pretty sure it is possible for a storm to not be as bad as Harvey while being more than a nothingburger.
BSD
AG
Spring Branch ISD and other superintendents will be on a call with Lindner tomorrow morning to discuss school openings. They said we should know by 5:00am.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
BSD said:

Spring Branch ISD and other superintendents will be on a call with Lindner tomorrow morning to discuss school openings. They said we should know by 5:00am.

Same for CFISD..
V8Aggie
AG
Been getting hammered here in Bridgeland for the last hour.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yeah, but how's the weather?
BBRex
AG
We just dumped the rain gauge again, so that's 10 inches or so since yesterday.
jenn96
AG
I'm in east Cypress at Grant & Louetta and it's been raining for 18 hours straight. Intensity has varied between heavy and sprinkling but it hasn't stopped once.
Fitch
AG
This thing is done inside the loop.
wessimo
AG
Looks like we might still get some rain from the innermost loop but it does not look as intense as the bands that came through earlier today.
AgLiving06
As of 10pm update. Beta is now a remnant low. Starting to pick up the pace to @8 mph.

wessimo
AG
Atlantic map went from full-throttle to remnants pretty quickly. We are getting to the time of year when Houston is usually in the clear.

cab559
AG
wessimo said:

Atlantic map went from full-throttle to remnants pretty quickly. We are getting to the time of year when Houston is usually in the clear.

Why would you say that. Don't you know it's 2020? Time to stock up on bleach.
Cromagnum
AG
wessimo said:

JSKolache
AG
Blame Conroe
chiken
AG
Think its safe to drive in from austin to pearland today?
FHKChE07
AG
For sure. I don't see why you should have much trouble.
chiken
AG
My parents have received 90 different alerts about flooding in Pearland and are putting the parental guilt about me driving in flood waters.
Caliber
AG
chiken said:

My parents have received 90 different alerts about flooding in Pearland and are putting the parental guilt about me driving in flood waters.
Are your parents in Pearland/ Houston? My in-laws in the Austin area are always freaking about Houston weather events, especially tropical weather. They often don't understand the Houston weather dynamics or even really the shear size of Houston and how are street flooding here works.

The vast majority of Houston street flooding occurs when rainfall rates are simply too fast for drainage to take care of. Most flooding goes down in a matter of hours unless the major rivers are flooded, especially from upstream. The streets and other roads here are designed to channel water. So yeah, they often flood. Yeah, there are exceptions to that more so down on the south side.

Almost all Major roads are open this morning. Still a few closures(288 southbound around 610), but nothing that you shouldn't be able to avoid. Always tons of alternate routes to get around/through Houston unlike Austin. I'd be willing to bet most clear up by the time you could make it into town.

Just give yourself some extra time if you have to be somewhere at a specific time.
chiken
AG
Thanks, doll. They live in Austin and you're right, don't understand how quickly the water goes down. I'll head back to Pearland around noon or 1.
HtownAg92
AG
We lost power in GO about 11:45 last night. Still out.

Beta Strikes Back.
AgLA06
AG
Interesting. We never lost power in Shepherd Park Plaza. Must be an isolated tree down or something.
HtownAg92
AG
It is back. It looks like the main problem was a little north of us, but knocked out 75 houses in our section. We're east of Shepherd.
aggiemike02
AG
so did I, neighbor? Section 1?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.