Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,871 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long way to go to see. Saw where Costco, Lowes. Home Depot, and HEB are already ****shows around here.
Sazerac
AG
Do they ever turn west like that crossing the TX-LA border? Seems they always go N-NE once in that part of the gulf.
gougler08
AG
So Laura has gone from hitting Miami 2 days ago to completely missing Florida and now maybe even making it to Texas?
AGHouston11
AG
These prediction cones are not very reliable several days out. They will change a lot more in the next 2 days.

Sometimes I wonder if Home Depot and Lowe's funds the National Hurricane prediction cone.
sts7049
AG
do you know what "forecast uncertainty" means?
gougler08
AG
sts7049 said:

do you know what "forecast uncertainty" means?

Obviously, it just seems they are more uncertain on both of these right now than most of the time
Premium
AG
Cromagnum said:

Long way to go to see. Saw where Costco, Lowes. Home Depot, and HEB are already ****shows around here.

Partaking in the fun, I see
P.H. Dexippus
AG
What are people in Houston buying at HD and Lowe's? Plywood? I figure tp and bleach supply/demand are already what they are based on COVID.
ArtVandelay03
AG
For those of you on the S,SE side - League City, Friendswood, Pearland - at what point do you think it necessary to board up? Only if the forecast changes to Cat 2 or Cat 3?

We moved here in 2015 (west League City), so first time experiencing a possible hurricane. But the house was built in 2001, and as far as I can tell, the only damage from Ike was some missing shingles. The main difference now is trees in the neighborhood are bigger and fences and roofs are older, therefore debris strike chances could be higher. We don't have any existing shutters/plywood, so I've been debating whether I should go buy some before stores run out.

It's an insurance policy of sorts, but I'm wondering if it is really necessary to go spend $700 on plywood for a TS or Cat 1, being somewhat inland and partially shielded by other homes (of course, that might just mean more debris).
jetch17
AG
No.
Bonfired
AG
Sazerac said:

Do they ever turn west like that crossing the TX-LA border? Seems they always go N-NE once in that part of the gulf.

I haven't seen too many tracks in the past that have a westward bend that close to the coast toward SE Texas. It would seem uncommon, for instance, for a TS/hurricane to landfall at Galveston while moving almost due west...but, hell, it's 2020. All bets are off.

I'm not particularly worried about either storm at the moment. Made my usual grocery store run, but did it early.
Cromagnum
AG
Premium said:

Cromagnum said:

Partaking in the fun, I see

Nah. Im on the couch at home. Saw on the news.
wangus12
AG
Need those fellas at the ISS to snap a picture of both these storms rolling in the Gulf
chiken
AG
For all the Friends folks out there.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Sazerac said:

rilloaggie
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

What are people in Houston buying at HD and Lowe's? Plywood? I figure tp and bleach supply/demand are already what they are based on COVID.

I was at the Lowe's at Westheimer and Kirkwood Early yesterday morning and they were piling "hurricane preparedness" stuff in all the aisles and close to the front door. Gas cans, generators, bleach, pump sprayers, etc. they definitely have a set list of things that I'm sure are high profit items that they bring out to the front anytime there is a storm inbound.
Anti-taxxer
AG
ArtVandelay03 said:

For those of you on the S,SE side - League City, Friendswood, Pearland - at what point do you think it necessary to board up? Only if the forecast changes to Cat 2 or Cat 3?

We moved here in 2015 (west League City), so first time experiencing a possible hurricane. But the house was built in 2001, and as far as I can tell, the only damage from Ike was some missing shingles. The main difference now is trees in the neighborhood are bigger and fences and roofs are older, therefore debris strike chances could be higher. We don't have any existing shutters/plywood, so I've been debating whether I should go buy some before stores run out.

It's an insurance policy of sorts, but I'm wondering if it is really necessary to go spend $700 on plywood for a TS or Cat 1, being somewhat inland and partially shielded by other homes (of course, that might just mean more debris).

Pearland here. No flooding during Harvey.

I wouldn't board up unless there was a Cat 5 coming in through Surfside.
Anti-taxxer
AG
ArtVandelay03 said:

If you were there in 2015, you were there for Harvey, right?
dshedd41
S
https://spacecityweather.com/marco-likely-to-go-east-of-houston-still-lots-of-questions-about-laura/
Gig’em Aggies!
sts7049
AG
Burn-It
AG
Damn Cajuns about to get soaked...

AKA 13-0
jetch17
AG
Marco took quite a hook in the latest
ArtVandelay03
AG
Yes, but we were in Conroe for a wedding. Left League City early Friday morning as the rain was moving in, and got stuck in the Woodlands for about 5 days. We didn't flood, although water got within about 5 feet of the garage based on the debris line.

But I don't recall there being any concern with the wind in this area in the Harvey forecast. So I wasn't worried about it. Or maybe I'm just more paranoid now that I've got a bit more invested in this home as far as upgrades and such.
aggiedata
AG
gougler08
AG
jetch17 said:

NHC still showing the big west turn off the coast and heading our way, but I bet it changes tonight
TopFlightReject
gougler08 said:

jetch17 said:

NHC still showing the big west turn off the coast and heading our way, but I bet it changes tonight

The Mets (and the armchair Mets) over at S2k are all in on a Marco landfall in SELA with a weak Laura making landfall somewhere in the northern central GC also. I'm guessing this is based off the most recent runs that have came out after NHCs latest advisory?
TopFlightReject
Either way looking more and more like SETX is going to be spared. Good because we have a lot of underground work to do in the next 3-4 weeks.
Big Cat `93
AG
The NHC just changed their forecast to match what the Space City guys are saying.
Cromagnum
AG
Dang. If this holds, the Cajuns are boned and areas in Texas that really need some rain are gonna keep scorching.

rangerdanger
AG
Cromagnum said:

Dang. If this holds, the Cajuns are boned and areas in Texas that really need some rain are gonna keep scorching.

Yeah, pretty scorching dry except for Milwaukees Best Light if the other thread is any indication...
Anti-taxxer
AG
Not gonna lie, I was really hoping for both of these to come in to Houston so we could get rain.
gougler08
AG
It's pouring on the SW side right now
OdessaAg
AG
gougler08 said:

It's pouring on the SW side right now

Partly sunny skies up here in Spring-would love some rain.
Post removed:
by user
AMW2010
AG
How was this thread made 1 month ago? Did we see this coming a full month ago?!?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.