BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,352 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

MiMi said:

Southerns is having their 3-day grand opening events starting tonight.

Southerns Grand Opening

Live music in Post Oak Mall. Well alright!

FYI Restaurant is not open yet, I called to see if there was a cover charge to eat. They said to call back next week. But they have some good singers lined up.
woodiewood1
MS08 said:

Land being cleared (I'm assuming for development) between Lincoln and East Tarrow with parking lot frontage there behind Abuelos, etc. Have been wondering about this piece of land for a long time as it's everything you would want for development. I think Scarmado is a part of the ownership entity.

Anybody know much of anything?
Probably as he owns the land adjacent on University Drive.
EBrazosAg
AG
woodiewood1 said:

MS08 said:

Land being cleared (I'm assuming for development) between Lincoln and East Tarrow with parking lot frontage there behind Abuelos, etc. Have been wondering about this piece of land for a long time as it's everything you would want for development. I think Scarmado is a part of the ownership entity.

Anybody know much of anything?
Probably as he owns the land adjacent on University Drive.

Pretty sure that COCS approved replat for development and retail/restaurant several years ago.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BCSWguru
Southerns will be nice for live music if the people support it. Will be interesting to see a show there that's super crazy/packed. Only drawback I saw last night was lack of a big place to dance.
trouble
AG
SubZero in century square is closing.

https://www.facebook.com/1907704179509819/posts/2568021160144781/
ag009
AG
Went to Carport Coffee at the corner of Nagle and University this morning. Parking was tricky, but the coffee was really great. Definitely geared more towards pedestrians to grab in go, but they some seating as well. I'll be back soon to try more items!
redd38
AG
trouble said:

Century Square stores are dropping like flies this year
australopithecus robustus
Because the rents are out of control. This isn't houston, and there's too many new places opening too quickly. It's not supernatural...
Ajollyag
trouble said:

Basically what i said on last years thread. I dont understand how all these businesses plan to stay open with the amount of saturation in this market. Supply is increasing but demand is staying the same.... either prices should decrease to meet the correct target(which isnt happening) or these restaurants/businesses are going to shut down.

I think college station is trying to build the infrastructure of a metropolitan area before the actual people show up. I just dont see it working anytime soon
ukbb2003
Big Shots Golf (small-scale Top Golf) is coming.
MS08
AG
redd38 said:

trouble said:

What other Century Square stores have shut down? Just trying to recall, not trying to be tongue and cheek about it.
redd38
AG
MS08 said:

redd38 said:

trouble said:

What other Century Square stores have shut down? Just trying to recall, not trying to be tongue and cheek about it.

Runway Seven has also closed, so already 2 stores in the first 25 days of the year.
RGRAg1/75
AG
ajolly said:

trouble said:

Basically what i said on last years thread. I dont understand how all these businesses plan to stay open with the amount of saturation in this market. Supply is increasing but demand is staying the same.... either prices should decrease to meet the correct target(which isnt happening) or these restaurants/businesses are going to shut down.

I think college station is trying to build the infrastructure of a metropolitan area before the actual people show up. I just dont see it working anytime soon

Not sure the facts support this. Observations and anecdotes don't paint an accurate picture. Demand isn't staying the same. B/CS is the second fastest growing GDP in Texas. Second only to the Austin area.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/BCS-area-has-second-fastest-growing-GDP-in-state-567268151.html

I think some of this has to do with the type of business/industry, where they open their shop, and the population diversity in that area.

Ajollyag
I think population growth would be a more accurate measure for the restaurant industry. Maybe people are just making more money with the progress we have seen with research, and medical facilities opening up. Restaurants need more people to come to their restaurants, not necessarily for people to have more money.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Pop growing too. GDP rarely increases with a steady or decreasing pop.

"The B-CS population grew 14.4% from 2010 to 2018, which is higher than Waco's 7.1% rate of growth over the same time frame. Ann Arbor, Michigan and Champaign-Urbana, Illinois grew 7.3% and 3.2%, respectively. Bryan-College Station was outpaced only by Fort Collins, Colorado's 16.7% rate of growth and the Auburn-Opelika (Alabama) metro area population increase of 16.4%."

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/economic-index-bryan-college-station-economy-slows-but-population-growing/article_641d876c-7f57-11e9-8845-ab3970f929c2.html
Ajollyag
RGRAg1/75 said:

Pop growing too. GDP rarely increases with a steady or decreasing pop.

"The B-CS population grew 14.4% from 2010 to 2018, which is higher than Waco's 7.1% rate of growth over the same time frame. Ann Arbor, Michigan and Champaign-Urbana, Illinois grew 7.3% and 3.2%, respectively. Bryan-College Station was outpaced only by Fort Collins, Colorado's 16.7% rate of growth and the Auburn-Opelika (Alabama) metro area population increase of 16.4%."

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/economic-index-bryan-college-station-economy-slows-but-population-growing/article_641d876c-7f57-11e9-8845-ab3970f929c2.html

Good read. I am curious if students are included in those population growth statistics.. even with the 14% population growth, how much more has the food service industry grown in BCS?

Even if lower than 14%, the new change in population would still have to support the new businesses and not go to the more established ones. A lot of people just like eating at their few fav restaurants all the time and dont venture out to eat at new places (basing off my own preferences. No research i have done on that)
Ajollyag
Sorry for derailing thread. Im done
australopithecus robustus
Student growth is fine but with it comes no improvement in per capital retail spending. BCS is lower than cities like Victoria and Tyler in per capita retail spending.

For the influx of businesses to be on more stable ground BCS needs to grow not only in population, but the RIGHT population, that is chasing high paying jobs, not just going to school and eating Ramen.
dgonzo99
A 3 story building is going up close to Bowie School in Downtown Bryan. Have heard that it is going to be loft apartments. Looks like the bottom floor may be offices.
bcstx06
dgonzo99 said:

A 3 story building is going up close to Bowie School in Downtown Bryan. Have heard that it is going to be loft apartments. Looks like the bottom floor may be offices.

The Dechiro Lofts
https://m.facebook.com/theDechiro/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/305-W-27th-St-Bryan-TX-77803/50308488_zpid/?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Rex Racer said:

ajolly said:

Rex Racer said:

I visited a friend this weekend that works for H-E-B in San Antonio that confirms we are getting a new store. I have her looking to confirm location.

*Insert "Wellll..... we're waiting" gif*

Sent a text to remind her.

Any update?
jeffk
AG
bcstx06 said:

dgonzo99 said:

The Dechiro Lofts
https://m.facebook.com/theDechiro/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/305-W-27th-St-Bryan-TX-77803/50308488_zpid/?

Dunder Mifflin ass looking building.
FlyRod
Those actually look really cool.
Rex Racer
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Rex Racer said:

ajolly said:

Rex Racer said:

I visited a friend this weekend that works for H-E-B in San Antonio that confirms we are getting a new store. I have her looking to confirm location.

*Insert "Wellll..... we're waiting" gif*

Sent a text to remind her.

Any update?
She told me to give her until last Friday, but I never heard back. I'm at the point of not wanting to be a pest. Maybe she'll get back with me. This is my best man's fiance. So I don't want to push too much.
techno-ag
AG
Supposedly an HEB slated for Boonville/University somebody said. Maybe that's what she was referring to?
Rex Racer
AG
techno-ag said:

Supposedly an HEB slated for Boonville/University somebody said. Maybe that's what she was referring to?
That's what I'm trying to get confirmation on. Location. She confirmed we're getting a new store, and she said it would be really nice.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Boonville/University is probably the location that makes the most sense.

But, the City has been pushing for an urban grocery store concept for the Northgate/Century Square area for a couple of years. Since HEB recently built a couple of Urban concept stores (Houston store below as example), I could also see that as a possibility.

techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

The City has been pushing for an urban grocery store concept for the Northgate/Century Square area for a couple of years. Since HEB recently built a couple of Urban concept stores (Houston store below as example), I could also see that as a possibility.

A&M is getting a Brookshire Brothers or some such. Granted, it's a big campus but HEB might opt for the location with more rooftops. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Ajollyag
Captn_Ag05 said:

The City has been pushing for an urban grocery store concept for the Northgate/Century Square area for a couple of years. Since HEB recently built a couple of Urban concept stores (Houston store below as example), I could also see that as a possibility.

Im gonna be absolutely pissed if this is the HEB concept they bring to university and booneville.
rocketscience
AG
ajolly said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Im gonna be absolutely pissed if this is the HEB concept they bring to university and booneville.
I don't think the land is expensive enough out there. This one is at the intersection of two major corridors in a walkable area of Houston. I would be extremely surprised if this concept went out at Boonville/University. This would kill somewhere on University between Wellborn and Texas though.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Agreed. Definintely wouldn't expect a concept similar to this anywhere but the Northgate area.
MiMi
S
I Heart Mac and Cheese in Jones Crossing officially opens Wednesday but is having a soft opening today.
dgonzo99
Houston right now is the only area getting the multi-story HEBs, because their is not enough land in the inner city for the standard HEB. I had heard that a smaller grocery store like ALDI was trying to go in across from campus. If HEB was going to go in close to campus, they would probably go in the old Albertsons. I think they own that building. There is really no land to put one on between Texas and Wellborn unless they buy Northgate and tear it down. I doubt that would happen. Northgate is about 20% of the tax base of CS.
dgonzo99
The new close date for Chick-fil-a is the last day of February. It will take 3 to 5 months to rebuild.
Captn_Ag05
AG
dgonzo99 said:

There is really no land to put one on between Texas and Wellborn unless they buy Northgate and tear it down.
The Century Square development and the Culpepper Realty owned land and future development called the Union (Hurricane Harry's area) both have contained a plan for a grocery store at some point in their plans. Not saying either will ever happen (much less both), but there is land for it on University if a developer wanted to do it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.