BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,336 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Boudin pairs well with Dos XX

MS08
AG
Did not know they were closing this one in lieu of the other one opening. Thought the new one would be more drive thru focused, which is definitely needed in that area of town.
Rex Racer
AG
Rex Racer said:

I visited a friend this weekend that works for H-E-B in San Antonio that confirms we are getting a new store. I have her looking to confirm location.
Well, I am here to eat some crow.

I got a text from my friend whose fiance works at H-E-B in San Antonio.

"After looking into the HEB openings, she did not see any info other than the stores that were already open."

:-(
techno-ag
AG
Fujifilm pharmaceuticals expanding again with another multimillion dollar expansion. Great for the biocorridor.

http://wtaw.com/second-multimillion-expansion-announcement-in-five-months-for-biocorridors-fujifilm-diosynth-biotechnologies/
Kbeauty63
AG
I was very disappointed as well. That area can DEFINITELY support 2 Starbucks. And the 'old' location will be soon occupied by the Toy Store over by Ulta & Michaels...
australopithecus robustus
Kbeauty63 said:

I was very disappointed as well. That area can DEFINITELY support 2 Starbucks. And the 'old' location will be soon occupied by the Toy Store over by Ulta & Michaels...

That very likely doesn't make financial sense for Starbucks. They will now basically have two stores in one with the drive thru addition and their rent very likely doubled to go that new location, with new construction, and to be free standing.....
JMac03
AG
Something called F45 looks to be open next to Smoothie King in front of H-E-B on Texas. It looked like some work was still being done outside but I'm pretty sure I saw Now open in the window.
theNetSmith
AG
JMac03 said:

Something called F45 looks to be open next to Smoothie King in front of H-E-B on Texas. It looked like some work was still being done outside but I'm pretty sure I saw Now open in the window.
appears to be yet another fitness place:
https://f45training.com/collegestationtx/home
Captn_Ag05
AG
I was wondering if "F 45" was the the Brazos County Democratic Party Headquarters
BryanAggie2013
AG
Tried Another Broken Egg this morning. Two thumbs up! Delicious food and friendly staff!
chickencoupe16
AG
garrettc16 said:

Tried Another Broken Egg this morning. Two thumbs up! Delicious food and friendly staff!
Agreed. The wife and I both had Wednesday morning off, so we took advantage and hit it at a slow time. Even for being a Wednesday at 8AM, about half of the restaurant was full. I know it's still its first week but I was surprised to see that many people. The food was fantastic. I had the limited time Carnitas Benedict and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of spice that it packed. Most "spicy" things that aren't found at a Mexican restaurant are not spicy at all to me, but this dish hit the spot. My wife had the biscuits and gravy which were very solid. We will definitely be back, but probably not until the students leave!
aggiemom89
Briarcrest Walmart gas station is closed
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Forgot the date, but I guess the recycling center is next.

Then Chickfila
AG
I think Saturday was CFA's last day open
ibdm98
AG
CFA is already being demo'd
Slagathor
AG
Seeing signs for something called Hello Primo now open in the strip center next to Golden Corral on University.
bcstx06
mayglan said:

Seeing signs for something called Hello Primo now open in the strip center next to Golden Corral on University.

That is just signage advertising for Marco's Pizza. Not a new restaurant.
halibut sinclair
aggiemom89 said:

Briarcrest Walmart gas station is closed
It's gone now.
979ag
AG
Checked out Another Broken Egg this "morning." Was super excited after hearing all of the great reviews. Got to the restaurant at 10:40 and didn't leave until 1:15. A "45 minute wait" when we showed up turned to into a little over an hour. It then took them over an hour for them to serve two of us.

It didn't seem to just be us that experienced the wait issue as multiple different parties came up to the hostesses and complained that they had been waiting double their "expected wait time." We also noticed that everyone that was seated in the restaurant at about the time we were seated, were still dining when we finally left.

The other big complaint we experienced was the pricing of the menu. For two people to eat, our bill was over $40 and the food wasn't remotely worth the price. We did get an appetizer with the order of beignets, but besides that we only had coffee and two entrees (btw black coffee is $3 per person and I was only able to get mine refilled once due to our waiter being MIA).

I understand that it is only their first week operating, but my experiences at First Watch, Stella, 3rd on Main, and Cracker Barrel have all been supremely better.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Had a similar thing happen to me. We arrived yesterday at 11:30, so I knew we were in for a wait. Was told it'd be 45-50 minutes for a table for three.

At 1pm, we had had enough and left because I knew that it would be well after 2pm by the time we would be leaving if we stayed.

I don't mind waiting, but that was ridiculous. And to be so overwhelmingly wrong in the wait estimate was just bad. Not sure how enthusiastic I am about going back now.
Bunk Moreland
Lol. *****ing about a very popular restaurant not having wait times dialed in on their first opening weekend.

Never change Texags!
979ag
AG
Call it what you want, but I figured some would like to hear about our 2.5 hour experience at brunch for mediocre, overpriced food.

A total contradiction to some other's reports above.
Bunk Moreland
Cracker Barrel sounds more like your style. It's off the bypass at the Briarcrest exit.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Sorry you can't see the difference between being told 45 minutes and the actual time being double that. Can't help you out on that being over your head. And this is a chain, so there should have been some data on how wait times work at their establishments. They are not new at this.

Sounds like many other people that were actually there felt the same.
techno-ag
AG
Thanks for your report. $40 for breakfast and $3 for coffee is a little steep for this town, imo. At least, it's a little too steep for this breakfast eater.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
jja79
AG
If you have a chance eat at Toasted Yolk if you run across one. So far superior to Another Broken Egg in my opinion.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Snooze, being built in Chimney Hill, is in the same price point.
Bunk Moreland
The difference? Of what? They were off. You also went at the absolute peak time on opening weekend. You can prepare for it as much as you want but maybe tables didn't turn over as quickly as they anticipated. This town is full of people who want to be seen everywhere so there were probably a lot of lingering groups in there staying long beyond their meal.

Either way, to use that as a main factor in maybe not returning when you're the one who chose to go when the forecast was 100% for a cluster **** is quite funny.
Wicked Good Ag
Speaking of Coming and Going

I see 979ag and GiveEmHellBill are going...whose coming to Another Broken Egg ??
Bunk Moreland
Love the other locations I've eaten of theirs and will be a frequent visitor. Waiting for the newness to go away before heading over... Same with Walk On's.
979ag
AG
To clarify, our "wait" issue was it taking 75 minutes to get served eggs and pancakes. I don't mind them necessarily missing the mark for time to get a table, but it can be irritating when it is coupled with poor service in the restaurant as well.

Can't believe the snobs needing to be "seen" at a new restaurant caused our food to come out bland and lukewarm.

Not sure why this is the hill you choose to die on for Another Broken Egg. Sorry to offend your favorite brunch spot, was just sharing our experience. (apologies to others for detailing as well).
AggieBarstool
Bunk Moreland said:

Lol. *****ing about a very popular restaurant not having wait times dialed in on their first opening weekend.

Never change Texags!
I am going to complain. Like the other poster, I went this morning, too. I got in line via Yelp at 10:15. Told to be at the restuaurant at 11:39. Was seated at 12:20. What's the point in having a system for ensuring you can skip the line, so to speak if it's not doing to be "dialed in?"

As for the rest of the experience: Food order was taken promptly; arrived at 1:10. Took a while to get the check and pay (our poor server was working her tail off). Total bill was $50 with tip. We left a tad past 1:30.

Now, the best parts? Service was great. Lots of attentive eyes on our table (by not only our server), so that was a plus. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Coffee was GREAT.

I know they'll get their timing down over time and future experiences will be better. I'll be going back.
halibut sinclair
Trendy breakfast spots.
deh40
AG
jja79 said:

If you have a chance eat at Toasted Yolk if you run across one. So far superior to Another Broken Egg in my opinion.
I have eaten at Toasted Yolk, Snooze and Another Broken Egg multiple times each. All pretty comparable in quality and price in my opinion.

rc_cat
We joined the opening weekend crowd - but got there early enough that we didn't have to wait. I agree it was a pricy breakfast - which will keep it from becoming a regular breakfast for our household. The waitstaff was somewhat confused - we ended up with 3 different servers. The coffee was excellent, as was the bacon. You get two pieces with a meal - but I'd be curious to know if a side of bacon is the same 2 pieces - because $5 for 2 pieces is laughably ridiculous.

The spouse had an omelet - which was apparently delicious. My waffle, however, was lukewarm - the butter did not melt - and a little soggy underneath from sitting on the plate for a while. So, they obviously have some issues to work out.

Apologies to those waiting for our table - we weren't trying to be seen and socialize - it just took quite a while to actually get the check and pay after we finished eating.

Oh - and while it's a nice interior, there are two table placements that really suck: one is right directly in the path of the front door, so it will either get a hot or cold blast each time the door opens (depending on the season), and one is right between the kitchen and the bathroom.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.