BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,338 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Fitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I never understood the consternation with the paid parking there. I seemed to have to pay to park for every surface lot and parking garage on campus and Northgate.

Garages cost a premium. Without a garage all that parking would be the size of a walmart parking lot...that'd be a very different impression than they were going for. Alternative to paying for the parking directly is it gets baked into restaurant and shopping tenants' rent, which is passed on to customers in the cost of goods.
AggieBarstool
Fitch said:

I never understood the consternation with the paid parking there. I seemed to have to pay to park for every surface lot and parking garage on campus and Northgate.

Garages cost a premium. Without a garage all that parking would be the size of a walmart parking lot...that'd be a very different impression than they were going for. Alternative to paying for the parking directly is it gets baked into restaurant and shopping tenants' rent, which is passed on to customers in the cost of goods.
Yup. And I don't patronize those establishments for the same reason I avoid Century Square.

Too many other (and better) options in town than to go some place that charges for parking so as to cultivate a better experience.
AggieBarstool
JSAD said:

Has anyone eaten at that Mexican taco joint that went where Eskimo Hut was? just wondering how it is
Yes, and it's fantastic! Read the thread (and the update I posted)!
ellipsiscricket
Anyone know about Ollies Bargain Outlet going into the old Toys R Us? Saw a prospectus online for an Ollies to go into this location, and a friend told me the Waco Toys R Us recently was replaced by an Ollies as well. Looks interesting. Known for "semi-lovely" bargain merchandise.
Ajollyag
redd38 said:

mgreen said:

FYI- when you eat at Porter's you valet park at the George and they validate it for you.

Once again scratching my head over people complaining over $2 parking. You want nice things, you have to pay for it or they go away. Then you will be complaining nothing good comes here.

Except there's zero reason to pay for parking for "nice things" in this town. There are "nice things" in better locations with free parking. Why would I pay extra to be inconvenienced? I'd rather pay that $2 to get $2 worth of quality added to my meal/purchase/whatever.

If century square was smart they would have had free parking until the restaurants and tenants had a decent sized consumer base.

Trying to get new consumers to come to century square is hard when new consumers have to pay to park or walk distance. Weigh the opportunity costs.

(Hit a bunch of lights, bunch of traffic, pay for parking/park in a parking garage, walk down flights of stairs, walk x amount of distance to business, pay for an overpriced meal, walk back to garage, drive in a bunch of traffic, hit a bunch of lights)

Vs

(Drive anywhere in BCS in less than 15 minutes(excluding century square, a&m, jones crossing vicinities), less traffic, park for free at the business, pay for a decent price meal, drive back)

For the average working person, on a weekday, nobody is going to choose century square over all the other places BCS has to offer(unless their food is out of this world). Neither is a new consumer(unless they are just dying to crave something new, but i don't think it's enough to keep that consumer coming back time and time again)

Retention i would imagine is hard to come by in century square

Geralt of Rivia
S
I tried going to I Heart Mac and Cheese for lunch yesterday, and the line was out the door. I guess I'll try again sometime soon
techno-ag
AG
Yup. The idea is to minimize barriers.
oklaunion
Geralt of Rivia said:

I tried going to I Heart Mac and Cheese for lunch yesterday, and the line was out the door. I guess I'll try again sometime soon
the reason the line was out the door was the same reason it was backed up today at lunch. No help showed up and 2 people appeared to be the only employees there. We waited for 20 min and the line never moved.
AggiePhil
AG
Not good!
dgonzo99
Looks like construction is starting on the new Drew's Carwash across from Carter's Burger in Bryan.
redd38
AG
Not sure if links to reddit are allowed, but TAMU Dining is posting a bunch of new on-campus restaurants coming in the next year in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/aggies/comments/eygk5p/new_dining_locations_on_campus/
halibut sinclair
Blue Moon BBQ is closing.
Collectonian
Just in case Reddit links are not allowed, they are also posting it on their FB: http://facebook.com/aggiedining/posts/10162991752670582 (and apparently Twitter and Instagram...)

So far they've announced:

MSC - Fall 2020
  • Chick-fil-A - Upper Food Court replacing BBQ and Za'tar
  • Pizza Concept similar to MOD
  • Jason's Deli (probably the biggest surprise to me) - Upper food court
  • Cabo remodel, new name, and new menu

Polo Garage - Spring 2021
  • Houston St. Subs
  • Shake Smart
  • Salata
  • Panda Express

West Campus - Spring 2021
West campus is getting a brand new building, specifically a food hall, near BioBio that will have a food court, finally! Announced for that new food hall so far:

• Starbucks
  • Copperhead Jack's
  • Chick-fil-a (will be replacing the Chick-fil-a Express currently in BioBio)
  • Salad place similar to Salata but not Salata...

They also noted that TAMU has tried to get a Whataburger, but the company has declined as they don't desire "non-traditional" locations, but with the new ownership, they plan to try again.

In the Facebook thread, they also mentioned the Rev American Express and Houston St Subs in BioBio will be renovated but didn't clarify if they are actually being remodeled and kept, or if that whole food area will go away when the new building opens.
95_Aggie
AG
There used to be a Whataburger in the Underground in the late 90's.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Quote:

They also noted that TAMU has tried to get a Whataburger, but the company has declined as they don't desire "non-traditional" locations, but with the new ownership, they plan to try again.

WTH do they call those units at DFW and IAH?
AG
95_Aggie said:

Yeah, after the Sbisa renovation was finished around 2001, we ate at the Whataburger and CFA in the Underground all the time.
Collectonian
95_Aggie said:

Yep, that's what my partner said too. I guess at some point Whataburger pulled out and decided to stay out. Wonder if their excuse is really "campus is too expensive when we already print money all over town" :-P
OnlyANobody
Collectonian said:

95_Aggie said:

Yep, that's what my partner said too. I guess at some point Whataburger pulled out and decided to stay out. Wonder if their excuse is really "campus is too expensive when we already print money all over town" :-P
Nah. It's because their color scheme is orange and campus wanted them to change it...
redd38
AG
Didn't "Howdy Outbound" work at Whataburger in underground?
Goose83
AG
halibut sinclair said:

No bueno.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I wonder if the Polo Garage retail will have signage/a presence along University. I believe that is right across from Century Square.
Wicked Good Ag
Goose61 said:

halibut sinclair said:

No bueno.

Road being closed for improvements quite a bit didn't help at all and tough location as well
FILO505
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Goose61 said:

halibut sinclair said:

No bueno.

Road being closed for improvements quite a bit didn't help at all and tough location as well

Yeah, website said it was a combination of the 3 year OSR construction and Rick and Toni dealing with health issues. Maybe they can pop back up once OSR is done. Hope they can use the time to deal with their health and come back strong!
techno-ag
AG
tombdaddy504 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Goose61 said:

halibut sinclair said:

No bueno.

Yeah, website said it was a combination of the 3 year OSR construction and Rick and Toni dealing with health issues. Maybe they can pop back up once OSR is done. Hope they can use the time to deal with their health and come back strong!
Way off the bypass.

/MyBCS
PS3D
Collectonian said:

95_Aggie said:

They pulled out in the mid-2000s precisely why they won't go in at campus, they didn't like "non-traditional" locations and closed campus/food court locations. I used to have a Battalion article from 2004 or 2005 that explained it but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on the Internet anymore.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Waco is getting a Top Golf. Think that will prohibit CS from getting one? I doubt that they will if Bryan is actually getting a Big Shots.
Ag2Max
AG
Macy's will be closing 125 mostly mall anchored stores over the next 3 years. Haven't seen a list of stores to close yet but wonder if the CS mall location will survive.
EBrazosAg
AG
Ag2Max said:

Macy's will be closing 125 mostly mall anchored stores over the next 3 years. Haven't seen a list of stores to close yet but wonder if the CS mall location will survive.

Closing list in WSJ didn't include any Texas locations.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The first round only listed 31 stores (out of the 125 that they will shut down total). Part of their strategy is to leave what they they label "lower-tier" malls. Hard to imagine Post Oak wouldn't fall in that category.
tb9665
Does anyone know when the new Drew's car wash in Bryan on Texas Ave. is going to open? I can not wait to try it out.
legalbird
The demographics for paid parking is simply not in College Station.

We are not a Rice Village or Highland Park.

That said, I predict free parking will be the norm in 2020 at Century.
dallasiteinsa02
The students that are parking there and going to class is the only reason there isn't free parking. The garage is full of students now.
dgonzo99
I guess this is confirmation right now that Bryan is getting Big Shots. This is the Big Shots Driveway extension estimate. https://go.boarddocs.com/tx/cobtx/Board.nsf/files/BL4VV2828465/$file/1988-Ph.2-Engineer's-Estimate.pdf
redd38
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

The students that are parking there and going to class is the only reason there isn't free parking. The garage is full of students now.

I thought they had spotters now that tow students from the garage.
Tailgate88
AG
Does anyone know what is going in next to Burger King at Deacon and Texas?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.