BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,372 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Geralt of Rivia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
katlong said:

Where on Welborn for the Chipotle?

Wellborn/SW Parkway near the Whataburger. The sign also has Starbucks
ag009
AG
That's awesome. Will be nice to get a chipotle fix and avoid University!
MiMi
S
Quote:

Where on Wellborn for the Chipotle?
Next to Whataburger, at the corner of Wellborn and SW Pkwy
techno-ag
AG
bcstx06 said:

TAMU approves $60.3 for Futures Command complex at RELLIS in Bryan.
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/news/newstalk-texas/?Item=24819
Great news. Very happy with RELLIS development lately. This one is big. Definitely another feather in Sharp's cap.
Collectonian
Shelia's Homestyle Chicken & More opened yesterday per a post on Facebook in the BCS Meals and Deals Group.

Hours were listed as 12 - 10 pm. No idea if those are the regular hours or just during opening weeks.

halibut sinclair
Collectonian said:

Shelia's Homestyle Chicken & More opened yesterday per a post on Facebook in the BCS Meals and Deals Group.

Hours were listed as 12 - 10 pm. No idea if those are the regular hours or just during opening weeks.

That's the old Potato Shack location at 21 and the bypass - part of the Exxon station. Next to Sodolak's.
trouble
AG
Grub is reopening. Hiring now.
meinkee
Dang! That taqueria in the Excon is pretty good grub. A chicken shack on the opposite end makes that little strip center even better!
FlyRod
Whoa. Had me scared for a minute that something was replacing Sal's Garpez. And that...will not stand.
turfman80
AG
Per KBTX, Century Square is again going to charge for surface lot parking. Seems like an odd move when the establishments there are having to deal with the fallout from COVID, considering the amount of people who said they previously stayed away from the complex due to the charge. The garage will remain free.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Bucketrunner
Have they made the garage safe?
techno-ag
AG
turfman80 said:

Per KBTX, Century Square is again going to charge for surface lot parking. Seems like an odd move when the establishments there are having to deal with the fallout from COVID, considering the amount of people who said they previously stayed away from the complex due to the charge. The garage will remain free.
Prolly has something to do with the semester starting and the Aggies back.
FlyRod
Apparently a certain former restaurateur who frequently posted here is getting back in the game with a new place.

Also KBTX has story on coming downtown Bryan "food plaza." Hope it works out better than that attempt on Church St.
Sub4
AG
I spoke to one of the partners involved with the food truck park on Church street and he attributed a lot of the issues they had to over-regulations by the city of College Station that caused a lot more overhead than there should have been.
Requirements that the city did not impose on all the other food trucks parked around the rest of college station. Like the required fence, a permanent building, and lots of small things. A lot of frustrations were vented in that convo.
Tailgate88
AG
Sub4 said:

I spoke to one of the partners involved with the food truck park on Church street and he attributed a lot of the issues they had to over-regulations by the city of College Station that caused a lot more overhead than there should have been.
Requirements that the city did not impose on all the other food trucks parked around the rest of college station. Like the required fence, a permanent building, and lots of small things. A lot of frustrations were vented in that convo.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Has construction started for BigShots Golf, assuming it is still happening?
rc_cat
It's probably right in front of my eyes, but is there any eta on the Dunkin' (Donuts) open date?
cslifer
I think some of the big issues with the food truck park was that it was a bit out of the way from most of the NG crowd, and that NOTHING ever seemed to be open in it. Tried to swing by several times for lunch and there may have been one truck open.
FlyRod
^This was my experience too. Lots of co-workers were excited when it first opened. All of them lost intrest almost immediately.
Collectonian
cslifer said:

I think some of the big issues with the food truck park was that it was a bit out of the way from most of the NG crowd, and that NOTHING ever seemed to be open in it. Tried to swing by several times for lunch and there may have been one truck open.

This - the bulk of the trucks were never open for lunch or anything other than the three-night of bar crowds. We tried going to it at least 4 times, if not more, for lunch and finally just gave up because nothing was open except the BBQ place and then, when it was their, Time for Thai.
techno-ag
AG
cslifer said:

Sounds like yet another example of COCS over-regulations.
cslifer
Ok I'll bite. What does food trucks choosing not open at prime times and building in a not ideal location have to do with regulation?
Sub4
AG
Costs went up, some of that got deflected to the Food Trucks. Initially, they were all open but as it became uneconomical they just didn't have the volume of trucks needed to keep traffic coming.

No doubt there were issues with access among some other things that the city did not have a role in. Either way, there were a lot of things stacked against them for success.
Collectonian
Sub4 said:

Costs went up, some of that got deflected to the Food Trucks. Initially, they were all open but as it became uneconomical they just didn't have the volume of trucks needed to keep traffic coming.

No doubt there were issues with access among some other things that the city did not have a role in. Either way, there were a lot of things stacked against them for success.

I'd be curious as to when you found them all open? We went shortly after it opened then randomly through the closing. Never once saw more than 2 or 3 open.

I would agree, though, they didn't have the volume of trucks, nor the variety to really support the idea. And it seemed like none of the trucks there, except the BBQ and Thai really ever advertised themselves much?

I do wish food trucks were doing better, as a whole, in the BCS area. For a while, we had a quite a few that could be reliably found and had great food (still miss Madden's truck man LOL). Now we have Chef Tai's who has good food but never seems to change the menu like it used to, that new mac and cheese one (have tried yet), and the shwarma one are regularly findable and open.

I think there is also still that BBQ one from the truck circle that goes to events but doesn't open day to day? I don't pay much attention to it since it was very insistent that "sauce doesn't belong on brisket" and didn't have a single side I liked. :-/ Had a cute dog though :-)
Maveric
AG
Haven't seen anything on Five Guys lately. Anybody know when it is going to open?
halibut sinclair
Maveric said:

Haven't seen anything on Five Guys lately. Anybody know when it is going to open?

Was that ever confirmed?
southcsag
it would be nice to someone riding the bus out to Rellis
FlyRod
Quote:

Maveric said:

Was that ever confirmed?

Burger gods determined that with Whataburger present, there was no need for them (and here is where I wish I had access to the smug and famous TTTH emoji).
JM04
AG
Construction should start on 5 guys pretty soon. Going in by republic steakhouse.
techno-ag
AG
cslifer said:

Ok I'll bite. What does food trucks choosing not open at prime times and building in a not ideal location have to do with regulation?
Placing it in an out of the way spot was one of the bad ideas to begin with. The whole thing smacked of an effort to shunt them all to one location, out of sight and out of mind. Frankly I can't fault the trucks for not showing up much. Theyre going to go where they can earn some money. That probably helped make it a chicken and egg dilemma. No one went there because the trucks weren't there, the trucks weren't there because no one went there.
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Has construction started for BigShots Golf, assuming it is still happening?
The sign is still up. Lots of earth moving equipment but that may be related to the Superpark.
cslifer
The trucks were there, they just weren't open...so far as the location, the city didn't do it, the developer chose that spot.
techno-ag
AG
trouble said:

Grub is reopening. Hiring now.

Opening Sept. 28, according to KBTX.
FlyRod
GoCo has allegedly reopened. T&P for that poor chocolate fountain.
waltonloads11
AG
Anyone has updates on the West Bryan ChicFilA? There were a lot of dirt movement and a new road, but nothing has happened since.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.