BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,366 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Prune Tracy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JMac03
AG
Prune Tracy said:

JMac03 said:

My kids liked Altitude a lot more.

FIFY

Crap I typed it wrong. They like Urban Air more, not altitude.
ibdm98
AG
MeKnowNot said:

SoCo Athletics has been dark for a while. Not sure if they are done for good or temporarily closed due to COVID?

SoCo Athletics is done for good.
Anonymous Source
S
My wife and I took a drive last night after going and getting a bite to eat. B/CS is not in a good way right now. Usually, when town empties out for the holidays, it's kind of a relief. You've had a full semester of classes, hundreds of thousands have booked hotel stays, and the restaurants are seeing the locals come out and essentially replace the students. Last night was depressing. A lot of places were closed...including that brand new Starbucks on University Drive. The Hilton looked empty.

Shop local this year. We live in one of the greatest communities in the state of Texas, and we need to support the businesses that make B/CS tick. From what I gathered last night, they need that support now more than ever.
Gig 'Em
AggiePhil
AG
Blu Fin sushi fusion coming to the strip behind the CS Walmart.
Ajollyag
Anonymous Source said:

My wife and I took a drive last night after going and getting a bite to eat. B/CS is not in a good way right now. Usually, when town empties out for the holidays, it's kind of a relief. You've had a full semester of classes, hundreds of thousands have booked hotel stays, and the restaurants are seeing the locals come out and essentially replace the students. Last night was depressing. A lot of places were closed...including that brand new Starbucks on University Drive. The Hilton looked empty.

Shop local this year. We live in one of the greatest communities in the state of Texas, and we need to support the businesses that make B/CS tick. From what I gathered last night, they need that support now more than ever.

This should be directed to all you folks who are going to dunkin donuts.
MiMi
S
Quote:

I posted about it here in early July. It's next door to the now-closed Zoners. I'm not sure if any progress has been made since I first posted it
kegstand
AG
Man, I didn't realize Zoner's closed. I always meant to try them out.
chickencoupe16
AG
My wife and I ate at Gate 12 last night and were very impressed. There were still a couple of growing pains but with everything that went right, I have no doubt even those few, small items will be corrected in short order.

The service was great and we felt well taken care of without feeling bothered. A couple of times I noticed our waitress peer our way only to see that we needed nothing and were deep in conversation, so she left us be. I really appreciated that.

The food was outstanding. I had the shrimp and grits and my wife had the stuffed shrimp. My shrimp and grits was second only to a place in Atlanta that we ate at before UGA last year. Even then, I may just be remembering that meal as better than it was. The stuffed shrimp was killer too.

Though dark, the view was neat. The lights of the airport were pretty and we got to watch a Black Hawk and a T-6 taxi. I bet daytime diners will get to watch all sorts of things, especially in Thursdays and Fridays when flyover aircraft are in town.

We'll be back often and with friends!

jeffk
AG
That looks great! Where exactly is this place?
MiMi
S
1770 George Bush Drive West in the old General Aviation Terminal.
GSS
jeffk said:

That looks great! Where exactly is this place?

Original Easterwood terminal, in the shadow of the control tower.
Access via George Bush Dr.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
jeffk
AG
Thanks!
Sub4
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

I posted about it here in early July. It's next door to the now-closed Zoners. I'm not sure if any progress has been made since I first posted it

At this point, I'm doubting that they will ever open
cajunken
How was the Moscow Mule?
chickencoupe16
AG
cajunken said:

How was the Moscow Mule?

Either this the a really specific lucky guess or I have a stalker! Haha. My wife really enjoyed it, though! I thought it was good but there's a reason that I didn't order it.

ETA: Seconds after posting this, I told my wife about it. Her response was, "Are you sure they didn't see it in the picture?" I guess I keep her around for a reason!
Geralt of Rivia
S
You can see the copper mug
chickencoupe16
AG
Geralt of Rivia said:

You can see the copper mug

Haha, yeah, you must have replied as I was editing!
Kbeauty63
AG
and Floyd's wife is a former WBB player - Tori Scott
Jason86
AG
Anonymous Source said:

The starbucks closes fairly frequently for a day or two. I believe when they have a potential issue with COVID-19 exposure they close up.
toolshed
AG
Have the new ventures by the Dallis group been mentioned? So Fly Hot Chicken, as one of them? A "Ghost kitchen" at the drive thru on the N end of Public and Main.
kegstand
AG
The transformation of Wellborn Road continues. Dirtwork being done next to Layne's on Wellborn at SW, and the gas station at Wellborn/Holleman is being dozed. Not sure what's going into either of those spots, but it blows me away how much that stretch has evolved just in the past 3-4 years.
drthoop
AG
ODraconianDevil said:

The transformation of Wellborn Road continues. Dirtwork being done next to Layne's on Wellborn at SW, and the gas station at Wellborn/Holleman is being dozed. Not sure what's going into either of those spots, but it blows me away how much that stretch has evolved just in the past 3-4 years.
Anyone remember the old Sugar Shack down there somewhere? '76 or maybe '77. Somewhere aroung then. Yeah I'm old. I want to say it was North of where Holleman is now.

This was before SW and Holleman actually came all the way through. Or if they did they were just pig trails.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
legalbird
I heard high rise where the gas station on Wellborn/Holleman is being dozed.

Starbucks, especially in Northgate, limit foot traffic. They don't want folks camping out. TowerPoint busy as a hornet, tables and chairs turned upside down. Drive thru and carry out.

Some businesses will fold. It was just a matter of time in many cases.

I encourage important folk to look at states where they have shut down. It is forcing people to move to other states because they want a weekly paycheck.

Times are a changin!!!
Costa and Andreas
toolshed said:

Have the new ventures by the Dallis group been mentioned? So Fly Hot Chicken, as one of them? A "Ghost kitchen" at the drive thru on the N end of Public and Main.

Saw this and wanted to chime in. I can confirm we opened SoFly Hot Chicken and CinnaBOSS gourmet cinnamon rolls today. We are giving way free BIG BAD MUTHA CLUCKA sandwiches and UNICORN Cinnamon rolls today! No purchase necessary, one of each per person, DRIVE THRU ONLY.

I suppose we are a ghost kitchen hybrid in that we are marketing the sub brands online and through all the delivery platforms but we ALSO have a traditional drive thru.

Truth be known, all items can be enjoyed dine in as well.
soflyhotchicken.com
toolshed
AG
I had the Mutha Clucker and the Pyro fries....both were awesome!! I loved the slaw on the sandwich, little bit of heat, cilantro mixed in. All the ingredients melded together well, extremely well in my opinion. The fries were great too. I will definitely be back, with my wife. The menu looks really good, I need to try some of the sauces/ dips with the tenders and such. Those look good too! Too much to sample in one visit.

I assume you mean dine in at the Public and Main dining room.
Costa and Andreas
Firstly, thank you kindly for your business and feedback!

Yes, I do mean public and main dining room. The Sofly and CinnaBOSS menus are inserted into the Pubmain menu.....

These days though, we thought it convenient and prudent to make a big push for the drive thru and online ordering for obvious reasons.....
TXAGBQ76
TXAGBQ76
AG
Yep, for the life me I do not understand waiting in a line that is as long as the DD line is fir pretty much anything. You can get donuts and/or coffee anywhere
PS3D
ODraconianDevil said:

The place next to Layne's was a house (at Southland Street) that got bulldozed, then part of a parking lot for a laundry facility of some sort, then construction stalled out and the place got fenced up for several years. Not sure what the new plan is, but I did remember seeing on New Development that the building behind Layne's would be modified to include a drive through. (Just a single drive-through, if it was double, I would've believed it would be the George Bush Drive McDonald's moving before construction in the area).

I drove around the now-closed Valero just maybe two days ago. Since the Valero signage wasn't removed or covered up (in comparison to the blacked-out Sunoco to the west) and the convenience store still had most of its fixtures inside (including coolers for Coke and Monster, which were not only still there but still receiving power) I assumed that it would probably just change names and reopen. (On a related note, I didn't realize that the self-serve car wash annex had been demolished last year).
jeffk
AG
Came by to grab some chicken and a cinnamon bun, but the line was all the way around the parking lot - which is great! Well try again later this week. My girls are excited about the unicorn buns!
Ajollyag
TXAGBQ76 said:

Yep, for the life me I do not understand waiting in a line that is as long as the DD line is fir pretty much anything. You can get donuts and/or coffee anywhere

Donald's donuts. Local, good, and never a line
halibut sinclair
Kudos to the Kroger on Boonville. The remodel looks great and the deli/bakery area is first class.
Aggie_95
AG
TXAGGIE10 said:

rc_cat said:

It's probably been mentioned and I missed it, but what's the big building being built on Texas somewhere around Chili's? I only saw it from the back as I drove down Foster - an addition to the CS buildings?
New College Station City Hall
The new building looks impressive. Does anyone know if they are going to tear down the old buildings up front once they complete the new building?
TXAGGIE10
Aggie_95 said:

TXAGGIE10 said:

rc_cat said:

It's probably been mentioned and I missed it, but what's the big building being built on Texas somewhere around Chili's? I only saw it from the back as I drove down Foster - an addition to the CS buildings?
New College Station City Hall
The new building looks impressive. Does anyone know if they are going to tear down the old buildings up front once they complete the new building?
That's correct. A demo of the current City Hall is in place, once the new City Hall is occupied.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.