BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,371 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Quote:

Sign up next to Zoner's Pizza that says "Coming soon: BlueFin Sushi Fusion" or something similar.. not sure if it is replacing it or going in next door.
It's the space next door. I posted about it here in early July. I'm not sure if any progress has been made since I first posted it.
rodan85
AG
theNetSmith said:

texasaggiegirl04 said:

The Wellborn water tower and the one near Castlegate are part of Wellborn SUD. They might be in College Station city limits but they are not part of the College Station water.
not only that, but Wellborn water actually tastes like water.
EBrazosAg
AG
Gate 12 Bar and Grill at the old Astin FBO at Easterwood targeting late November according to their FB page. Looks sweet too!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
BBQ 13-0 burned due to electrical fire behind northgate I heard
Collectonian
Yep. The Eagle posted some details:

"The fire was at the back of 13-0, but neighboring businesses Baked or Fried and Rough Draught were affected."

Baked or Fried likely closed for a month to make repairs. Rough Draught's closed "for the time being." No one injured.

For full article: https://theeagle.com/news/college-station-fire-department-battles-three-unrelated-blazes-on-friday/article_3d403a94-0a99-11eb-b4ab-77138fced6ed.html
PS3D
Hmm, it's the same spot where Jin's Chinese burned down 12 or so years ago. Speaking of fires in the same places, some units of the Flats on 12 (Doux Chene) were on fire today, smoke damage visible on the unit at Southwood and 2818
rc_cat
In the probably just a sales pitch, but just in case category.....

I was at the new Costco in Cypress and the cashier helper tried to get me to upgrade to the plus membership. When I told her I lived in College Station, she told me that College Station was where Costco was coming next. Again, she probably was just saying that to get me to upgrade, but it sure would be nice if it was true.
bcstx06
When did JoS. A. Bank close?
Collectonian
bcstx06 said:

When did JoS. A. Bank close?
Not sure. I noticed it a few weeks ago while over in that area. They closed a bunch in July and August as part of their bankruptcy though, so may have been one of those. Surprised it wasn't mentioned in the news though.
AggiePhil
AG
Pie In The Sky is going out of business. Can't say I didn't see it coming.
AgProgrammer
AG
Though I'm sure the Covid shutdowns certainly didn't help, they weren't doing well before this either. Hate to see a local business shut down but they left a lot to be desired. I'll be curious, what, if anything, comes into that spot next.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I forgot that they were even there. I wanted to try them, but they never crossed my mind
chickencoupe16
AG
We went twice and always enjoyed it, but we also never remembered to think about them when choosing a restaurant.
PS3D
Maybe it will be a Bush's Chicken again.
EBrazosAg
AG
I had high hopes for the place. But difficulty and odd rules about ordering just buzz killed it for my family, and that was pre COVID-19. Projections are 60% independent restaurants fail currently, and that one certainly wasn't set up to be in the top 40%. Seemed more hobby than business in all aspects to me....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
Restaurants have low margins to begin with. One upset customer can do some damage online. It's a wonder any private place without the resources of a national franchise stays in business around here.
GeographyAg
AG
Re: Pie in the Sky. We liked it the few times we tried it, but it was rather expensive, and they gave you too much food. They could have made smaller portions and charged a lot less. The menu needed to be simplified a bit, too. I think.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
Ajollyag
GeographyAg said:

Re: Pie in the Sky. We liked it the few times we tried it, but it was rather expensive, and they gave you too much food. They could have made smaller portions and charged a lot less. The menu needed to be simplified a bit, too. I think.
Is there such a thing?
drthoop
AG
Food was decent. Service was horrible. Only went twice and then gave up on them. You can have average food if you have great service. It doesn't work the same in reverse.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
GeographyAg
AG
ajolly said:

GeographyAg said:

Is there such a thing?
Yeah, I know it's weird... but I ordered a sandwich and salad and the salad was a full size thing with meat and all the stuff, not a side salad. It was definitely too much food for lunch.

When a restaurant gives out too much food they don't do themselves any favors. They're wasting money. (According to Restaurant Impossible, anyway. lol)
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
FlyRod
Quote:

Restaurants have low margins to begin with. One upset customer can do some damage online. It's a wonder any private place without the resources of a national franchise stays in business around here.

Some restaurants are good at developing a loyal base that helps tide them through rough patches. I also suspect that people have grown sick and tired of the self-styled online critics and their "reviews."

When The Oracle still resided in BCS, he probably did a lot of restaurants an unintended service by discrediting the value of reviews all on his own.
JMac03
AG
Old Cici's drive thru next to CFA

AggiePhil
AG
JMac03 said:

Interesting. At one time, Wienerschnitzel was looking at that space. Sad they never pulled the trigger.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
My kids have begged for the last few years for a Panda Express to go in there. I almost called a franchisee myself about it based on how busy fast food places like CFA and Taco Bell stay in the area. The PE by campus stays non-stop busy even without a drive-thru! I think they'd kill it in that location.

JMac03 said:

rocketscience
AG
The A&M transportation map finally has the RELLIS Data Center on it for a start date in mid-January 2021. The Data Center's website says it will open in Fall 2022. This has seemed like pie in the sky (too soon?) for a long time, hopefully it's finally happening!

https://transport.tamu.edu/parkingmap//constructionmap.htm
https://rellisdrc.com

TommyBrady
AG
It is definitely happening (will be two phases) and the joint library facility will also be expanded out at RELLIS
frito bandito
Does anyone know what is going on in the parking lot at the Tejas Center? For a couple of weeks, there has been a temporary fence in the west parking lot, behind the dental office. Today, a fleet of semis has been unloading shrink wrapped crates. No signage. Don't know if they are staging for something else in Tejas, or a new build.
toolshed
AG
New roof? Tall, big wrapped items? I've seen those staged at other commercial buildings that got new roofs.
cavscout96
AG
GeographyAg said:

ajolly said:

GeographyAg said:

Is there such a thing?
Yeah, I know it's weird... but I ordered a sandwich and salad and the salad was a full size thing with meat and all the stuff, not a side salad. It was definitely too much food for lunch.

When a restaurant gives out too much food they don't do themselves any favors. They're wasting money. (According to Restaurant Impossible, anyway. lol)
We always had good service and the biscuits and gravy........gonna miss it.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I thought the Men's Warehouse bought out Jos. A Banks about 5-7 years ago? Could they be consolidating stores?
src94
AG
SIAP - What's going in the old Los Nortenos/Dos Hermanos space in DT Bryan?
src94
Collectonian
TXAGBQ76 said:

I thought the Men's Warehouse bought out Jos. A Banks about 5-7 years ago? Could they be consolidating stores?
Yes, they merged six years ago and formed Tailored Brands as the new parent company. Said company announced in August that they were closing 500 stores and shortly after filed for bankruptcy. Due to COVID and having $1.4 billion in long term debt load.

Since then, the judge has allowed them to exit leases on at least 100. Just not sure if ours was one of those or not.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Wow, did not know that. Thanks for the info.
bcstx06
rocketscience said:

The A&M transportation map finally has the RELLIS Data Center on it for a start date in mid-January 2021. The Data Center's website says it will open in Fall 2022. This has seemed like pie in the sky (too soon?) for a long time, hopefully it's finally happening!

https://transport.tamu.edu/parkingmap//constructionmap.htm
https://rellisdrc.com

What great things will the new Data Center do for the area? What is the joint library facility that TommyBrady is speaking of?
rocketscience
AG
High tech jobs, company/government data from Houston and Dallas, and opportunities in cybersecurity operations for students are the first things that come to mind. The Joint Library Facility stores low use books for libraries across the state.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.