BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,374 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Saw people holding signs on University for Motherhood Maternity going out of business sale. Everything is 70% off.

The whole company is going online only.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Captn_Ag05 said:

Genghis Grill is closing.

Collectonian
Per KBTX, Aeropostale in the mall will close Wednesday due to rising rent and lower foot traffic. Bath & Body Works plans to expand after they are gone.

They also confirmed Genghis Grill closes Sunday in case anyone wants to grab it one last time. Owner said high rent & utilities were part of the reason for the closure.

ratfacemcdougal
What the heck is going on ??? Usually the comings and goings knows before anybody and KBTX gets their information here. Ha Ha. Posters, yall need to step up your game...
theNetSmith
AG
Collectonian said:

Per KBTX, Aeropostale in the mall will close Wednesday due to rising rent and lower foot traffic. Bath & Body Works plans to expand after they are gone.

They also confirmed Genghis Grill closes Sunday in case anyone wants to grab it one last time. Owner said high rent & utilities were part of the reason for the closure.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Several-College-Station-businesses-closing-down-568152171.html

The article also mentions Urban Bricks closing. They closed a while back and then reopened. Are they closing again?
trouble
AG
Yes, they closed again.
theNetSmith
Tookieclothespin
AG
thann07 said:

Parking at Century Square is a big issue. Nobody wants to go up 5 flights in a garage, and nobody wants to pay to park at surface level.

I get why they need to have people pay (prevent student parking and walking to campus), but it's a real deterrent to the casual consumer.

The light cycles around Northgate and University in general suck pretty bad too. There seems to be more reasons to want to avoid that area than go in and do business there.
yep. i have money to spend, but if I'm spending $$$, I want it without the hassle. getting in/out of that place is so annoying. It's also why I quit going to the domain in Austin unless i absolutely had to (the stop signs....uggghhhh).

If i want an upscale meal or really anything they offer at Century Square, there are so many alternatives with easier access.

techno-ag
AG
The Mazda dealership has been bought out by the Douglas Nissan people.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Re: Century Square

We've pretty much just gone to Ubering in and out. Frees us up to drink freely and we like Porters and Moes enough that it's worth it for us.
AG
Tap that Axe, an axe throwing place, is coming to Bryan.
drthoop
AG
Best idea ever. I always Uber there.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
nwspmp
https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/gordmans-to-open-in-waco-and-college-station-donate-1-000-to-local-schools

Gordman's opening in CS on March 17th
Captn_Ag05
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Yes -

Quote:

The re-imagining of University Towne Center will transform College Station's dominant dining destination into a pedestrian friendly shopping and entertainment district. The project will expand to over 200,000 square feet to increase offerings and provide a gathering place for locals, students and visitors alike.

The re-imagining of University Towne Center will transform College Station's dominant dining destination into a pedestrian friendly shopping and entertainment district. The project will expand to over 200,000 square feet to increase offerings and provide a gathering place for locals, students and visitors alike.

+/- 53,900 SF of Retail
+/- 15,000 SF of Grocery
+/- 52,800 SF Restaurant
+/- 105 Units of Multi-Family
See more: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/pyp3sCXIG9aNFUD5AF1aKOHHs5NSMOem9EpIICXrxc8/document.pdf
Our friends at KBTX ran a story on this development.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Changes-coming-to-University-Town-Center-568231251.html
dallasiteinsa02
15000 square feet of grocery. Please be a trader joe's.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Website for Tap That Axe - https://tapthataxetexas.com/

It will be going in the center at 3700 Texas in Bryan next to Babylon Cafe.
Rex Racer
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Website for Tap That Axe - https://tapthataxetexas.com/

It will be going in the center at 3700 Texas in Bryan next to Babylon Cafe.
A bar? Axe throwing? What could go wrong?
Captn_Ag05
AG
It is a concept that is popular all over the country. If they follow the model of others, then it will be a safe and fun activity.
KidDoc
AG
The Coffee Lab on KBTX this morning! New local mobile fancy coffee service.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=912520769162910&id=27855747225&sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=e
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rex Racer
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

It is a concept that is popular all over the country. If they follow the model of others, then it will be a safe and fun activity.
It just sounds funny. I'm sure I'll try it myself.
techno-ag
AG
KidDoc said:

The Coffee Lab on KBTX this morning! New local mobile fancy coffee service.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=912520769162910&id=27855747225&sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=e

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/New-mobile-coffee--568248021.html
australopithecus robustus
This was a good watch...

https://blog.cstx.gov/2020/02/27/all-up-in-your-business-dallis-family-burger-mojo/
eloc62
So, I've seen cars in the parking lot and people inside of Walk-Ons the last couple of nights while driving home. Is it open? Anybody here been there? How was the food?
war hymn aggie
AG
eloc62 said:

So, I've seen cars in the parking lot and people inside of Walk-Ons the last couple of nights while driving home. Is it open? Anybody here been there? How was the food?
I've heard that Walk-ons is opening up on Texas Independence Day ( March 2nd). This is probably why you have seen activity in this area, as they are likely training their staff.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Official opening to the public is March 2. I was invited to a training dinner this evening. Complimentary food and proceeds from alcohol sales went to a local animal rescue. The service and food were great. The puppies from the rescue were adorable. I'm looking forward to going back when the full menu is available.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Another Broken Egg and Walk-Ons open on Monday, March 2.
trouble
AG
FlyRod said:

Apologies if I missed this, but co workers tell me there's a new Mexican restaurant where Jesse's #2 was. Don...something? Curious if anyone has been.

We went today for lunch. Very good. Lots of seafood options.
rsgatlin
What did you and your party have? Review?
bushytailed
AG
eloc62 said:

Scored an invite for their soft opening, so we went during lunch today. My friend and I split boudin balls, an alligator wrap, and a bang-bang shrimp poboy. Boudin balls and the sauce were great. The gator wrap had nice chunks of gator meat with caramelized onions, peppers, and pepper jack cheese. Flavor was great. The bang-bang shrimp needed more heat to it, but that's more of a personal preference. The flavors were good.

We were really impressed with the draft beer selections. Yellow Rose, 7 Spanish Angels, Dome Faux'm, and Shiner's *****ly Pear were some of the ones that stood out to me. Their GM did a really good job with the picks. I made a joke that I was never leaving the bar due to the beer offerings.

I noticed that a couple of the tables in the bar had their own draft beer pulls. Both tables had pulls for Dos X, Shiner, Love Street, and Michelob Ultra. As in they could pour their own beers at the table. I didn't ask about how that works though, so I'm not sure if those are tables you have to request in advance.

Our menus did not have prices listed for the food. I'm not sure if they were special menus for the soft opening or not. While the meal was complimentary, we paid for the beers. I saw the food prices listed on the receipt. They were about what you would expect somewhere like BJ's. The poboy would have been $12 and the wrap would have been $14.50. Our beers were $6.50 each (Shiner *****ly Pear). I'm not sure if there will be lunch specials. The CS menu isn't posted online yet, but I'm sure prices will compare with the Waco menu.

It's a sports bar, so expect it to be loud. This isn't someplace where you could get a quiet meal. It was loud while we were there.There were tons of TVs everywhere, including the patio. I'm sure it'll be hopping on game days. I'll be a regular for the draft beer options alone.
Rexter
We went to Walk-Ons last night as well. 30 minute wait was 15 tops.

My take:
The bar needs a walk-up area for people waiting on a table. There wasn't a space to order a drink without having to hover over someone sitting at the bar. The margarita was good and the beer was cold.

Appetizer: Spinach-artichoke dip and it was excellent. Served with toasted bread instead of chips.

I had the catfish with hush puppies and waffle fries. The catfish was some of the best I've ever eaten. The portion was enough for 2 dinners minimum. The hush puppies were good...a tad sweet. Waffle fries were very good, and seasoned just right

The wife had a stuffed burger, and she said it was the best burger she's ever eaten. She thought the fries were a tad spicy, but she is a lightweight on spicy stuff.

We both had tea, which had a good flavor....not too weak or strong.

The server was attentive but not overbearing.

Overall, I'd give them an A+, which is good considering they were slammed.

Our comp check was $42 for the food.... $17 for the fish, $15 for the burger, $7 for the app. I don't remember what the teas cost.

Margarita and a beer was $16 together.

aggiemom89
Ate at walkon's tonight. My son said the Krispy Kreme bread pudding was the best dessert he ever had in his life. Food was good and enjoyed the atmosphere !
Rapier108
As everyone knew was coming.

Chick-Fil-A by the Briarcrest Wal-Mart is closed after today until mid-summer. They expect it to be torn down in a few days.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-chick-fil-a-location-temporarily-closing-for-rebuild/article_ec993388-5ab8-11ea-8278-5fd186431b95.html
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
rc_cat
The Starbucks at University/6 has closed and the new one is not open yet. Be careful if you order coffee through the app and don't wear your glasses - it will default to the next closest location and you may end up with an abandoned coffee across town ... or so I hear.
Kbeauty63
AG
the new one by the Hilton opens Thursday (I asked yesterday when I was in the now closed University location)
Rapier108
Bealls in the Tejas Center will close. The one at Post Oak Mall will be rebranded instead.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Gordmans-chooses-Bealls-Post-Oak-Mall-instead-Bryan-Tejas-Center-568401401.html

Bealls might be the last thing that has remained from Manor East Mall.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.