BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,373 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Porters folks know what they're doing so this could be a great new addition.
isitjustme
AG
Being reported on kbtx that Ronin and Adventgx have come to an interim agreement and that Ronin will remain open for the foreseeable future.
double b
AG
Anyone searching to thoroughly disinfect their homes or office from possible CV exposures, I recommend using these folks. Super fast and very reasonable on their pricing.

Wolf's Pro Cleaning Services
PS3D
Pizza Hut signage up at the old Jimmy Johns at Holleman and Texas.
Collectonian
BCS Axe Throwing Bar is now open. https://bcsaxehouse.com/

According to 3rd on Main, they are doing the food there.
lockett93
AG
Collectonian said:

I went to the soft opening last night. It was fun! Finger Foods and drinks were great too.
bcstx06
Collectonian said:

There is another Axe throwing place going in across the street from there. I wonder if each business knew the other one was coming? Kind of like when all of the yogurt places came to town at the same time and also the trampoline places.
m3prsive
ratfacemcdougal said:

What is going in next to Days Inn and Quality Inn in Bryan. Land cleared and SWPPP fence is up. I am guessing another hotel.
I think its the UPS hub expansion, but could be wrong.
Collectonian
bcstx06 said:

Collectonian said:

There is another Axe throwing place going in across the street from there. I wonder if each business knew the other one was coming? Kind of like when all of the yogurt places came to town at the same time and also the trampoline places.

Their signs have both been up about as long, I honestly figured they'd both canceled so was surprised to see one of them finally opened. Last time I drove by, the other still had a big dumpster in front and no visible activity, so I do wonder if they changed their mind after seeing another one was right across the street.
toolshed
AG
m3prsive said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

What is going in next to Days Inn and Quality Inn in Bryan. Land cleared and SWPPP fence is up. I am guessing another hotel.
I think its the UPS hub expansion, but could be wrong.

I wondered the same, the lot is cleared all the way back to UPS, way too big for a hotel. And if a hotel is breaking ground in the current climate/ economics, that makes zero sense.
Collectonian
Collectonian said:

bcstx06 said:

Their signs have both been up about as long, I honestly figured they'd both canceled so was surprised to see one of them finally opened. Last time I drove by, the other still had a big dumpster in front and no visible activity, so I do wonder if they changed their mind after seeing another one was right across the street.

Apparently the other one is "Tap That Axe" and they delayed opening due to COVID but, at least as of May, they still intended to open. Nothing posted since then though. https://www.facebook.com/tapthataxetexas/
toolshed
AG
I saw someone with a mask on with this logo at McCoy's the other day. He told the clerk that they were opening soon in the old La Riviera.

Did they not realize another was going to be across the street?
The Brazos Kid
toolshed said:

I saw someone with a mask on with this logo at McCoy's the other day. He told the clerk that they were opening soon in the old La Riviera.

They will end up tossing axes back and forth across Texas avenue in a desperate fight for superiority.
techno-ag
AG
Collectonian said:

Collectonian said:

bcstx06 said:

Apparently the other one is "Tap That Axe" and they delayed opening due to COVID but, at least as of May, they still intended to open. Nothing posted since then though. https://www.facebook.com/tapthataxetexas/
Some other potential names for all these axe throwing places:

Axe You a Question
Axe Me Anything
Bury the Hatchet
BQ_90
AG
TxFoundry said:

toolshed said:

They will end up tossing axes back and forth across Texas avenue in a desperate fight for superiority.
Question is will the dildo shop say outta the fracas.
Collectonian
toolshed said:

BCS Axe is the one is in the old La Riviera :-)
ratfacemcdougal
My best guess now is UPS. The lot is owned by the same company that owns the current ups lot. A google search of the lot owner brought up legal something from roundrock (i think) that combined the lot owner and ups.
FlyRod
Second Remnant from N'awlins has opened in Bryan (see KBTX for details). Good people and good food. Glad they seem to be doing well.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Second Remnant from N'awlins has opened in Bryan (see KBTX for details). Good people and good food. Glad they seem to be doing well.

Not really a second location. They are serving food at Halftime Bar on 21. From his posts on FB, the owner is struggling during all this covid crap.
Brandamne
Yes it's UPS. New building going up. Was supposed to be done by last Christmas but got delayed.
scs2001
AG
Maybe I missed it here, but it looks like Time for Thai in Bryan is closed. There's a for lease sign in the window. I went a couple of times and thought it was pretty good.
trouble
AG
Months ago
Tailgate88
AG
scs2001 said:

Maybe I missed it here, but it looks like Time for Thai in Bryan is closed. There's a for lease sign in the window. I went a couple of times and thought it was pretty good.
We went once but it didn't compare to either Kluay Kluay or their other restaurant over the the Bryan Super Wal-Mart....

On another note, tried Mas Fajitas today. Had enchilades verdes and they were fantastic. Will definitely be going back.
Ratsa
TABC allowing bars to apply for restaurant licenses in order to reopen

KBTX reported that bars with kitchens can apply to reopen as a restaurant. They mentioned the Corner in Northgate already had their application approved. Hopefully this will save some local businesses.
BCSWguru
Angry Elephant also doing the same
Aggie09Derek
AG
And still can sell alcohol right? So basically The Corner would operate just as they did before?
toolshed
AG
Yes as I understand it. Seems to be just an extra hurdle/ certification to jump through. Hopefully it's an easy process for those involved.

Funny how they can't be open if they sell mostly alcohol because of Covid spread, but get an extra permit and now you can operate with reduced chances of spreading Covid. I had no idea permits were that powerful!
Collectonian
Aggie09Derek said:

And still can sell alcohol right? So basically The Corner would operate just as they did before?
Per the article, not quite. Bars are primarily for alcohol sales. For this option, they have to drop under the 50%+ from alcohol sales line, so basically they have to go convert themselves to be more of a restaurant and less being a bar. And they also still have to follow the guidelines the restaurant guidelines, so less than 50% occupancy, 6' social distancing, and all that.

Corner will probably be better set off than some other bars that are purely focused on alcohol now since they did at least already have seating, but they will probably have to take out half of their tables.
Aggie09Derek
AG
So try to incentivize cash payments for alcohol or ring up food once it gets close to that 50% for alcohol haha
FlyRod
Veritas announced today they are permanently closing. As someone who was a regular after they opened (for awhile) I find this deeply sad. Big loss for BCS.
KidDoc
AG
FlyRod said:

Veritas announced today they are permanently closing. As someone who was a regular after they opened (for awhile) I find this deeply sad. Big loss for BCS.
I agree I love Veritas but I'm sure Tai is hurting with all the restrictions on his multiple locations.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
I nearly cried when I saw that. I love veritas. We've spent some important nights there.
double b
AG
FlyRod said:

Curse you COVID! I hate seeing another small business close its doors.
FlyRod
I think they were hurting before COVID actually, so that was the final nail, as it were.
patrick.redmill
FlyRod said:

I think they were hurting before COVID actually, so that was the final nail, as it were.

If by "they" you mean Chef Tai's family of restaurants, I could definitely see that. Nothing else he's done really has landed the way Veritas did. I was totally expecting this announcement for Paolo's.

Veritas itself? Man, I don't know. It always seemed to have a good crowd to me. If the margins weren't good enough, I think Tai could raise the prices a bit.

Between this, Pei Wei, and the uncertain future of Grub's location, that development is going to be hit *hard*. If I owned that development, I'd be on the horn with Tai *now* to see if there was anything I could do to keep Veritas in that spot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.