BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,356 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
meinkee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Call me a fossil. I think of it as Randall's, too.
kraut
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Site plans submitted to City of College Station for Dunkin Donuts. The address listed is 12061 FM 2154.
That will be a great location near Deacon on Wellborn once the city rebuilds that intersection and puts a light there.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Zooming in on the site map, the location is between Navarro and Deacon on Wellborn.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Permits issued for signage for Smoosh Cookies and Wingstop at Jones Crossing. Not sure opening dates have been announced for either, but shouldn't be long.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Boston-based Nift (https://www.gonift.com/), which opened offices in BCS last year just announced that they are planning to expand from their current 300 employees in BCS to 1,000 by the end of 2020.

Quote:

"When we decided the Brazos Valley would be home to our sales operations, we noted a uniquely deep and qualified talent pool. We have found it to be even deeper than we could have hoped," said Elery Pfeffer, Nift Founder and CEO. "The employees we are able to bring on board are passionate about improving small business in the Brazos Valley and beyond. We are proud to be able to grow in -- and with -- this marketplace."

Nift is located in the Crosspoint Technology Campus at State Highway 6 and Emerald Parkway in College Station.
-----

With Nift, as with so many companies in the Brazos Valley, Texas A&M University and the Blinn College District have proven to be a huge advantage. Thanks to an incentive-based compensation structure that boasts an earning potential of up to $25/hour, hundreds of Nift's employees are currently Aggie and Buccaneer students. Many have chosen to stay on with Nift and live in the Brazos Valley after graduation. Retaining an increasing number of the well-educated, well-trained student population is a major objective of the community, one clearly identified as a need in its strategic plan. Nift is helping accomplish this goal.
https://brazosvalleyedc.org/news/nift-grow-1000-brazos-valley-employees
techno-ag
AG
More jobs!
bobinator
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Permits issued for signage for Smoosh Cookies and Wingstop at Jones Crossing. Not sure opening dates have been announced for either, but shouldn't be long.
OMG I didn't need a wing place there. I mean I do, but my gut didn't.
Monywolf
AggiePhil said:

Monywolf said:

saray said:

TXCityGirl said:

I heard that Porter's in Century Sq. is closing. Is this confirmed or published anywhere?
Had lunch there yesterday. Was there for a hour and a half. 6 total customers. Pretty sad.
I had dinner there on Saturday evening and there was a wait for tables. They aren't going anywhere. New owners have taken over and will be taking over Poppy's as well. Turning it into a Mexican food restaurant. The manager has previous experience with Cyclone Anayas.

Should be good.
Turning which into a Mexican restaurant? Porter's or Poppy's?
Sorry - Poppy's
FlyRod
I think I'm one of the 3 people who liked Poppy's a lot, so sorry to see the concept change. That said, they never seemed busy, and BCS consistency rejects the "small plates" concept over and over and over. Hoping the new place is interesting and does well.
MS08
AG
I'm with ya FlyRod, if this is real, really going to miss Poppy. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Appreciated it way more than Porter's. A Mexican cuisine place, even if slightly upscale, is not going to get me too excited to venture that way.
FILO505
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Boston-based Nift (https://www.gonift.com/), which opened offices in BCS last year just announced that they are planning to expand from their current 300 employees in BCS to 1,000 by the end of 2020.

Quote:

"When we decided the Brazos Valley would be home to our sales operations, we noted a uniquely deep and qualified talent pool. We have found it to be even deeper than we could have hoped," said Elery Pfeffer, Nift Founder and CEO. "The employees we are able to bring on board are passionate about improving small business in the Brazos Valley and beyond. We are proud to be able to grow in -- and with -- this marketplace."

Nift is located in the Crosspoint Technology Campus at State Highway 6 and Emerald Parkway in College Station.
-----

With Nift, as with so many companies in the Brazos Valley, Texas A&M University and the Blinn College District have proven to be a huge advantage. Thanks to an incentive-based compensation structure that boasts an earning potential of up to $25/hour, hundreds of Nift's employees are currently Aggie and Buccaneer students. Many have chosen to stay on with Nift and live in the Brazos Valley after graduation. Retaining an increasing number of the well-educated, well-trained student population is a major objective of the community, one clearly identified as a need in its strategic plan. Nift is helping accomplish this goal.

Great idea for a massive city. Glad they're creating more jobs, but the business saturation combined with their business model makes it an average approach for small businesses in town.
AG 86 BC
AG
Love Poppy's. We need more good restaurant options like this, not more Mexican food.
LastHamlet
AG
AG 86 BC said:

Love Poppy's. We need more good restaurant options like this, not more Mexican food.

What types of food do they serve there?
Captn_Ag05
AG
tombdaddy504 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

-----

Great idea for a massive city. Glad they're creating more jobs, but the business saturation combined with their business model makes it an average approach for small businesses in town.
I think you are confused. Most of their business is coming from metro areas such as Boston. BCS businesses account for 100 of the over 7,000 businesses they currently have a relationship with. The office and workers in BCS are selling and servicing accounts nationally.
AggieBarstool
thann07 said:

Parking at Century Square is a big issue. Nobody wants to go up 5 flights in a garage, and nobody wants to pay to park at surface level.

I get why they need to have people pay (prevent student parking and walking to campus), but it's a real deterrent to the casual consumer.
I can't emphasize this enough. I'd happily patronize more of the restaurants there if I didn't have to go to the garage for free parking. Sure, it's only $2 for a hour, but why should I have to pay for the privilege of going to a restaurant to give them money? The principle (and inconvenience) keep me going elsewhere in town.
Captn_Ag05
AG
When Century Square first opened, posters on this board organized an effort to reach out to the management company to let them know of this concern. They chose to ignore it and felt they knew better. Maybe the parking fees they are making are offsetting the lost rent from places shutting down or not moving in, but I doubt it.

Seems like an opportunity for Culpepper to develop their property at College and University and not charge parking fees to visitors. May pull over some of the Century Square tenants.
techno-ag
AG
From an old thread about the parking. This did not age well:

Quote:

Century Square businesses seem to be doing fine, gripes about parking aside.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2961157

Unfortunately the pro pay for parking crowd is reaping what they've sown, and these places have fallen into the "going" column.
bcstx06
I never liked the paying for parking thing, but after they allowed free garage parking I have no problem with the center.
halibut sinclair
The problem is lack of restaurants and shops that appeal to the masses, not parking. Too many niche places.
Aggie09Derek
AG
bcstx06 said:

I never liked the paying for parking thing, but after they allowed free garage parking I have no problem with the center.

Same concept as rice village in Houston.

It also keeps people from circling around and around causing more traffic trying to find a spot that opens up.

People in Texas are a bit spoiled (myself included), where we think free parking in a garage and having to walk 50 yards is a big ordeal.
Broncos
bcstx06 said:

Also, the garage isn't far at all. Much like the garage in downtown Bryan. We've been spoiled with storefront parking for so long that if we can't actually see where we're walking we think it's a million miles away.

It's not that far. A ton of great places in Century Square AND downtown Bryan. Don't let parking scare you.
LastHamlet
AG
Broncos said:

bcstx06 said:

Also, the garage isn't far at all. Much like the garage in downtown Bryan. We've been spoiled with storefront parking for so long that if we can't actually see where we're walking we think it's a million miles away.

It's not that far. A ton of great places in Century Square AND downtown Bryan. Don't let parking scare you.

It would probably do some people good to walk a little further too. People are lazy these days.
AggiePhil
AG
Was not at all impressed with I Heart Mac & Cheese.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
AggiePhil said:

Was not at all impressed with I Heart Mac & Cheese.

????

Service. Selection. Price. Cleanliness. Attitude. Taste.
AG
I've heard mixed reviews. They are confident, because they are about to start on store #2 in century square.
AggiePhil
AG
I don't want to derail the thread but in short, the food was extremely underwhelming and the store is very cramped/poorly laid out. The food was the major problem though. Mac and cheese was not nearly cheesy or hot enough. Everything is precooked and reheated. The tater tots are baked and taste like what you would make at home in your oven.
Collectonian
I went today and really liked it. Mac & cheese was tasty, I liked the various ingredient options, and the staff was friendly and smiling despite still being under a lunch slam. Price and portions were good too. I'd definitely go again.
bcstx06
LastHamlet said:

Broncos said:

bcstx06 said:

It would probably do some people good to walk a little further too. People are lazy these days.

I agree!

I prefer the ambience of a more urban shopping area to a suburban shopping center with a sea of parking lots.
AggiePhil
AG
Collectonian said:

I went today and really liked it. Mac & cheese was tasty, I liked the various ingredient options, and the staff was friendly and smiling despite still being under a lunch slam. Price and portions were good too. I'd definitely go again.
Good! Hopefully our experience was an isolated one, though I don't think that's the case. They make the bowls by putting precooked elbow pasta in a metal bowl, adding an insufficient amount of liquid cheese (in my opinion), running it through a conveyer oven, then removing it from the metal bowl and placing it into a plastic bowl. As a result, what is served had very little cheese and was lukewarm. All this for $12. Again, your mileage may vary.
MS08
AG
Rough take. I hope they put greater attention into their ingredients and greater quality standards than that!

As with all of these places, Time will tell
NellCote71
Broncos said:

bcstx06 said:

This^^^
mgreen
FYI- when you eat at Porter's you valet park at the George and they validate it for you.

Once again scratching my head over people complaining over $2 parking. You want nice things, you have to pay for it or they go away. Then you will be complaining nothing good comes here.
redd38
AG
mgreen said:

FYI- when you eat at Porter's you valet park at the George and they validate it for you.

Once again scratching my head over people complaining over $2 parking. You want nice things, you have to pay for it or they go away. Then you will be complaining nothing good comes here.

Except there's zero reason to pay for parking for "nice things" in this town. There are "nice things" in better locations with free parking. Why would I pay extra to be inconvenienced? I'd rather pay that $2 to get $2 worth of quality added to my meal/purchase/whatever.
JSAD
Has anyone eaten at that Mexican taco joint that went where Eskimo Hut was? just wondering how it is
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Scroll down to Tacos La Perlita on a separate thread

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.