BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,354 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Slagathor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not to mention with Abuelo's being closed, too.
FlyRod
Quote:

Between this, Pei Wei, and the uncertain future of Grub's location, that development is going to be hit *hard*. If I owned that development, I'd be on the horn with Tai *now* to see if there was anything I could do to keep Veritas in that spot.

I don't think Tai owns the location. I'm not surprised too much...he shifted his focus to more "BCS friendly" restaurants (lower prices, less interesting/innovative food). Still it will be missed.
Goose83
AG
Bad time to be vested in real estate that leases exclusively to restaurants.
toolshed
AG
Verona's probably had the highest rent payment of any of his locations. I'm sure the decision was made that between rent being high, and it being a higher price point meal (which less dollars are being spent at these days, especially with A&M not doing its normal entertaining business with wining and dining), he chose to cut his losses and support the other locations.

Probably a similar decision that Eccell made to change their convent to more casual, cheaper options to get more feet through the door.

Chef Tai said on the KBTX story about Ronin that he was behind on rent, as most everyone is, but that they'd made arrangements to defer payments until later.

Sad, but hopefully the local businesses can get some much needed help with students coming back to town and spending money.
FlyRod
Indeed. Students won't have the kind of cash that keeps the flagship places going though. I guess the fast food places will do ok.
toolshed
AG
You'd be surprised, and every bit helps!

Students are not necessarily budget conscious these days...
Collectonian
Well that sucks about Veritas :-( I admit, I've only been to that one once, but we absolutely love Paolo's and Madden's Casual.

I wonder if it's purely COVID or things were stretched too thin with acquiring Madden's plus doing Urban Table (which had good food the one time we went, and I know my partner has gone multiple times since then).
Collectonian
It looks like Honolulu Poke House in Culpepper has closed. Sign was gone and lease sign in the window.
Tailgate88
AG
Collectonian said:

It looks like Honolulu Poke House in Culpepper has closed. Sign was gone and lease sign in the window.
Sad to hear it, as it was the first Poke house in town, and we frequented it often. But since Poke Stop opened, we haven't been back. Mainly because they are closer, but I think a bit higher quality fish too. Funny how a decade ago there was no sushi, no poke.... no we have lots. And Nams is even dipping their toe in the Dim Sum pool!
JayHowdy!
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/oldhamgoodwin_oldham-goodwin-group-would-like-to-welcome-activity-6699358662072311808-8WI-

New restaurant coming to Urban Bricks center on Texas.
JayHowdy!
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/oldhamgoodwin_bcs-comingsoon-justleased-activity-6697558897764515840-4Ch0

I just saw this too. Rush Bowls coming to the Kohl's center. A little too healthy for me, but I am sure a lot of people will like it.
toolshed
AG
Looks like a good addition, different than the same old stuff recycled under a different name. And I dang sure ain't making a trip to Chicago to try any of these foods! Looking forward to trying it.
src94
AG
KBTX had a piece last night on Gate 12 Bar and Grill at Easterwood (GA side, old FBO building). Hoping to be open in Nov. I'm ready for this. Cody is doing great work and the place looks awesome!
src94
ratfacemcdougal
Love the Brenham and Fredericksburg airport restaurants...looking forward to this one.
techno-ag
AG
Stein Mart declares bankruptcy, closing stores. Corona Virus got another one.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stein-mart-files-chapter-11-150555263.html
The Brazos Kid
techno-ag said:

Stein Mart declares bankruptcy, closing stores. Corona Virus got another one.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stein-mart-files-chapter-11-150555263.html
My wife won't be happy about that...
war hymn aggie
AG
I'd be concerned with parking availability if I was Fat Papa's.
FlyRod
Carney's has "reopened" with TABC approval. Given their outdoor seating and underrated burgers (IMO), I'll be checking them out.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Drove by this afternoon. Sign is still up and their open sign was flashing in the window.
Collectonian
MiMi said:

Quote:

Drove by this afternoon. Sign is still up and their open sign was flashing in the window.

Hmmm... could have sworn that was the spot, but guess it was a different one and my brain conflated them.
MiMi
S
I don't think the Sweet Horse Bubble Tea is still in business (to the left of Tanaka Ramen). I don't think I noticed their signage when I drove by, but I was focused on Poke at the time.
frito bandito
ratfacemcdougal said:

Love the Brenham and Fredericksburg airport restaurants...looking forward to this one.
Did not know that the Southern Flyer had re-opened. That is good news, always a good meal there.
EBrazosAg
AG
frito bandito said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

Did not know that the Southern Flyer had re-opened. That is good news, always a good meal there.

Brenham (Southern Flyers) has not reopened ... at least not reliably. I would call before going. Houston aviators FB pages indicate it's not open at all. The business has not had a FB post in months.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
snaglepuss
EBrazosAg said:

Brenham (Southern Flyers) has not reopened ... at least not reliably. I would call before going. Houston aviators FB pages indicate it's not open at all. The business has not had a FB post in months.
There website says they are CLOSED.
susieq30
EBrazosAg said:

frito bandito said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

Their website says "Closed for Now" so maybe after the pandemic is over.
snaglepuss
Thanks for that info susieq
Sinuso
AG
Red Lobster has a big "Space For Lease" sign out front....
Aggie09Derek
AG
Pretty great location and maybe someone can sign a pretty favorable lease there right now.
JMac03
AG
I passed On the Border this morning - and their big tall sign in the air - OTB has been removed and its just purple.

The signs are still on the building and a huge we are open sign. Not sure what is going on with the big sign.
KidDoc
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Pretty great location and maybe someone can sign a pretty favorable lease there right now.
With COVID and now fall Football up in the air almost all of the locations on University are jumping ship. Abuelo's, Golden Corral, Veritas, that wok place, Grub-- all empty. It is turning into a pretty large stretch of empty buildings.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Definitely some good lease terms to be had for sure.
Collectonian
KidDoc said:

With COVID and now fall Football up in the air almost all of the locations on University are jumping ship. Abuelo's, Golden Corral, Veritas, that wok place, Grub-- all empty. It is turning into a pretty large stretch of empty buildings.
Golden Corral closed??
Sinuso
AG
It's gonna be a long time before you see any more buffet-style places again. Cafeteria style may be gone as well.
halibut sinclair
Collectonian said:

KidDoc said:

Golden Corral closed??

That noise you hear is techo crying in the corner.
JMac03
AG
JMac03 said:

I passed On the Border this morning - and their big tall sign in the air - OTB has been removed and its just purple.

The signs are still on the building and a huge we are open sign. Not sure what is going on with the big sign.
Just kidding. Sign pro putting them back up now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.