BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,342 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ratfacemcdougal said:

What is going in next to Days Inn and Quality Inn in Bryan. Land cleared and SWPPP fence is up. I am guessing another hotel.

Yes, another hotel is supposed to go up in that area.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Krab Kingz on the move (again). Just announced no longer in Southerns.
Anyone know if Southerns is bringing back their original menu?
halibut sinclair
J-Quob said:

Krab Kingz on the move (again). Just announced no longer in Southerns.
Their food truck is relocating to the Sevcik's Service Center Saturdays and Sundays only.

That guy can't seem to decide what he wants to do with that business.
montegobay
I'm sure it's because Southerns is closed right now, right? A bar?
BCSWguru
Southerns is not a bar and is not closed
FlyRod
I'll try to get more info, but running an errand today I saw a new food truck close to Producers that was advertising Guatemalan food. I know the owners of Centro American are from there, so maybe connected. I think it was called "Sabor Guatemala."
AggiePhil
AG
Is the Krab Kingz B&M location on Freedom Drive still open?
toolshed
AG
No, they closed it around the end of last year I think. I imagine the rent on these places cuts into the profit margins quite a bit, especially knowing the amount of seafood as they have in their plates. Snow crab and shrimp isn't cheap.
J182
AG
My fiancee and I really like KK. We've gone to all of his spots since July of last year. Idk why they don't stay in a spot for very long. He said he would have another non-food truck spot in CS. At one point he was looking in Downtown Bryan, but that never ended up happening.
👽
chloelee
Douglass Nissan has been sold to Keating Group - Now College Station Nissan
lockett93
AG
Weird... didn't the Douglass just buy VW and Mazda from Keating?
susieq30
J-Quob said:

My fiancee and I really like KK. We've gone to all of his spots since July of last year. Idk why they don't stay in a spot for very long. He said he would have another non-food truck spot in CS. At one point he was looking in Downtown Bryan, but that never ended up happening.
On his Facebook page he says he will be opened only on weekends at the Longmire location.
chloelee
yes
FlyRod
Some weirdness going on with Ronin as per their FB page...comments about "negotiations with the city."
MiMi
S
This is the mail I received from Ronin this afternoon:

Quote:

Important Information That We Would Like to Share:

As you may have seen, we are in negotiations to stay operational. We are grateful for the City of Bryan and our community filled with family, friends, our team, partners, farmers and purveyors. At this time, we are doing all that we are able to ensure normal business. We aim to reach an agreement as soon as possible. We want nothing more than to continue to serve the Brazos County for years to come. Updates will be provided as soon as possible both on social media and our website.

Our restaurant and every other one in our community need your support now more than ever. Reservations/to go & delivery orders can be made at RoninTX.com.

Thank y'all for allowing us the opportunity to continue to serve you.

- Brian & Amanda Light

instapt
KBTX just reported that Ronin is under an eviction notice because they haven't paid rent since last year.
FlyRod
There is a lot of commercial space in Bryan, I hope they can find another home.
Sleepnumber
AG
FlyRod said:

There is a lot of commercial space in Bryan, I hope they can find another home.
Not if they haven't paid rent since last year.
isitjustme
AG
instapt said:

KBTX just reported that Ronin is under an eviction notice because they haven't paid rent since last year.
For what they charge per meal - and their meals are indeed both unique and very tasty - at least they could pay the rent. Everyone has to pay their rent. Or they should have found a different place that better fit their cost/revenue structure to relocate to before they got into their current situation.

All businesses must do the same. If they did, there'd be a lot more comings and a lot fewer goings.
EBrazosAg
AG
One would bet that their landlord isn't the only delinquent bill they have ....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AG 86 BC
AG
It is a landlord issue, not a Robin issue.
Please support them.
They are good people.
AG 86 BC
AG
Ronin, not Robin
FlyRod
A particularly noxious and odious landlord in this case.
techno-ag
AG
FlyRod said:

One that requires the rent to be paid?
JMac03
AG
techno-ag said:

FlyRod said:

One that requires the rent to be paid?
meinkee
Sounds like a pre covid problem exacerbated by the business climate from March to now.
Only one example of businesses and individuals in a world of hurt not necessarily of their own making. Hoping that those of you so sympathetic to this locally loved establishment are equally understanding and extend your compassion to the less and unknown facing the same consequences of the times.it is going to get worse before it gets better.
Collectonian
Yep, the KBTX report says they haven't paid rent since November, and also owe their portion of property taxes for 2019.

How dare that evil landlord give them eight whole months to pay their bills even when there was absolutely no excuse for them to have not paid their bills in 2019.

I'm certainly sympathetic to businesses suffering now due to COVID which was an unexpected and unprecedented event. What's the excuse for the four months before that? If they couldn't turn a profit or afford their obligations, they needed to either move or close, just like restaurants have here for decades.
AG 86 BC
AG
If you have ever been involved in a lawsuit, you know that you do not get the truth from just hearing one side of the story.
Tumble Weed
Many businesses are months behind on the rent. How many bars do you think had enough liquidity to be shut down this long?

Commercial property is about to get a whole lot cheaper unless they open it back up.
isitjustme
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Many businesses are months behind on the rent. How many bars do you think had enough liquidity to be shut down this long?

Commercial property is about to get a whole lot cheaper unless they open it back up.
I agree with both your points. But in the case of Ronin, it appears that they were 4 months behind before covid entered the picture. That doesn't bode well for post-covid.

And yes - lawsuits are weird and hearing both sides doesn't always happen. Still, we only know what we know.
FlyRod
Unless you're an investor, in which case you know quite a lot. There are at least two "surprise" twists to this story coming down the pike. The KBTX folks (who I like and appreciate) are not privy to them.

But the spoiler if you must know, is that it is not at all certain they are finished in that space.
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

Unless you're an investor, in which case you know quite a lot. There are at least two "surprise" twists to this story coming down the pike. The KBTX folks (who I like and appreciate) are not privy to them.

But the spoiler if you must know, is that it is not at all certain they are finished in that space.
I eagerly await the twists and how this plays out. It'd be a shame to have a going when we could have a staying. And hopefully more comings soon.
jeffk
AG
THE LEGEND OF THE RENT WAS WAY HARDCORE.
PS3D
New Asian market ("Yummy Bear"...or something) coming to 1713 Park Place (former Systek, near H-E-B).

Looks interesting, but opening is still about a week away.

EDIT: Also Magnified Nursing Home on Anderson seems to have quietly shut down somehow....a recent drive-by had no cars in the parking lot and it was recently listed on Loopnet as a vacant property.
MiMi
S
A new Mexican restaurant is planned for the Poppy's location in Century Square.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/30/new-upscale-mexican-restaurant-coming-to-century-square/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.