BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,325 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
mason12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On Boomtown - no bark with flavor on the brisket. Bland meat overall. The slices I got were fatty on one end and tough/rubbery on the other end. Sauces was okay. The group I went with thought the pulled pork was good (on sandwiches and nachos).
Costa and Andreas
Re: Burger Mojo Fry Debate

We have a winner!! The passion of the person to person commentary, coupled with the overwhelming slant in votes prompts the following announcement.

The 1/4 inch, classic drive thru small cut fry wins! We will be going back to that cut ASAP.

One poster wisely said that we should just do the 1/4 inch at Mojo and the 3/8 inch at Public and Main (best of both worlds kind of thing). Of course this makes perfect sense given the two concepts and the 3/8 inch is more of a "pub fry" cut anyway.

Wow, thank you everyone for your interest and passionate buy in on this debate. We appreciate our patrons and this community beyond words.
dallasiteinsa02
mason12 said:

On Boomtown - no bark with flavor on the brisket. Bland meat overall. The slices I got were fatty on one end and tough/rubbery on the other end. Sauces was okay. The group I went with thought the pulled pork was good (on sandwiches and nachos).
The BBQ is ok at best. Their concepts of blending together a bunch of stuff into a sandwich or dish is something different.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
a lot of that is because you guys are visible and responsive........even when SOMETIMES a poster or two gets a little snarky
dallasiteinsa02 said:

mason12 said:

The BBQ is ok at best. Their concepts of blending together a bunch of stuff into a sandwich or dish is something different.
Vitek's in Waco did it first! Try the Gut Pak.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The Children's Museum of the Brazos Valley is moving to Lakewalk next to POV. They are planning to build a standalone building on the lake over the next few years.
Collectonian
BCS Bicycles has renamed itself to Rooster's Bike & Coffee Shop and, suffice to say is working on adding a coffee bar (presumably post COVID).
AggiePhil
AG
Veritas has renamed itself "Solt." Looking forward to seeing what it's like.
Tailgate88
AG
AggiePhil said:

Still owned by Tai?
AggiePhil
AG
Yep.
Tailgate88
AG
Tailgate88 said:

AggiePhil said:

Still owned by Tai?
Well there ya have it. Best wishes to Tai on the new venture.

http://www.soltrestaurant.com/

Quote:

To Our Future Guests,

We are excited to announce, Slt! We have put so much time and effort into this spot, and we are so excited to finally share it with you!

Why the name Slt, you ask? Slt is the phonetic way to pronounce "salt." As a restaurant that believes simple flavors can be the best dishes in the world, we know it starts at the foundation of cooking. Salt is a versatile and the most used spice in the culinary world. Simply said You can't live without Slt.

As a modern up-and-coming, polished casual restaurant, we will be focusing on familiar culinary dishes with a flair of our own, designing our menu to give a variety of options, while our bar will focus on wines from all over the world and true hand-crafted cocktails that will pair with our menu perfectly.

We know 2020 has been rough, but that made us stronger, helping us learn to adapt to the changes and challenges thrown at us. We believe Slt will be your next go-to spot! So stay in touch with us and we'll see you soon in our dining room or patio!

See you soon,
Slt Management and Staff

jeffk
AG
Damn email formatting makes it look like the place is named "****."
AggiePhil
AG
jeffk said:

Damn email formatting makes it look like the place is named "****."
The "u" is silent.
trouble
AG
It's TexAgs not recognizing special characters
Tailgate88
AG
Doh!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Re: Burger Mojo Fry Debate

We have a winner!! The passion of the person to person commentary, coupled with the overwhelming slant in votes prompts the following announcement.

The 1/4 inch, classic drive thru small cut fry wins! We will be going back to that cut ASAP.

One poster wisely said that we should just do the 1/4 inch at Mojo and the 3/8 inch at Public and Main (best of both worlds kind of thing). Of course this makes perfect sense given the two concepts and the 3/8 inch is more of a "pub fry" cut anyway.

Wow, thank you everyone for your interest and passionate buy in on this debate. We appreciate our patrons and this community beyond words.

FINALLY, something goes right in 2020!
FlyRod
Tai is opening a new joint..."Solt" ( allegedly the phonetic spelling of "salt.")

I know nothing else...other then it's described as "polished casual"..,which I guess means (a) it will be pricey, and (b) the preferred ensemble will be cargo shorts, flip flops, and Bass Pro Shops caps.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Tai is opening a new joint..."Solt" ( allegedly the phonetic spelling of "salt.")

I know nothing else...other then it's described as "polished casual"..,which I guess means (a) it will be pricey, and (b) the preferred ensemble will be cargo shorts, flip flops, and Bass Pro Shops caps.

You are on a roll lately after a long absence, my friend.
FlyRod
Oh I'm sure I'm running out of ban-hammer lives.
redd38
AG
Z-Bar has a sign saying they're hiring, so must be getting close to opening
Collectonian
Looks like some kind of vintage store is moving in at the old MacResource building on Texas Ave. I couldn't quite catch the name when I drove by, just the "vintage store" now painted on the windows, and a few items outside.
Broncos
dallasiteinsa02 said:

mason12 said:

Tried Boomtown today. Staff was nice and helpful but clearly in the learning phase (not a problem since they've been open a few days and it's covid times so everything is weird).

I had the "G7" sandwich and Mac and cheese. The G7 was pretty damn good. For a BBQ place with a drive thru window it's an easy choice over any other "fast food" in town. Good ratio of pork, brisket, queso, and bread. The Mac and cheese was actually really good. It easily beats most of the other BBQ restaurants around here. It was really creamy with a small amount of pepper mixed in.

My wife had a turkey sandwich. She complained that there was "too much turkey" on it. Easy fix. She took some turkey off and ate it with the house BBQ sauce she liked. I tried it. The turkey was okay. It wasn't dry but didn't have a lot of flavor (I don't really like turkey so don't listen to me). She also had a side of green beans. Again, the green beans were better than most BBQ places in town. A nice pepper kick here.

All in all I'd go here for to grab a sandwich for a quick lunch. Reasonable price, friendly staff, good food. It is what it is. A quick BBQ place. Don't expect to get a brisket sliced right in front of you directly off a grate. (Don't expect 1775 as that's the last place I clued you guys in on)... but, good stop for a quick BBQ fix.

Dickies comes to mind with Boomtown. Similar concept but Boomtown doesn't taste like high school cafeteria food.
Eliminatus
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Cinemark re-opening on 8/21! Looks like they are hosting private watch parties for up to 20 to begin with.

https://cinemark.com/theatre-reopening-schedule

Quote:

LIMITED TIME!
PRIVATE WATCH PARTY
Host your own screening for up to 20 guests. Imagine snacking on popcorn, laughing with friends and family and enjoying your choice of one of our classic fan-favorites or new release movies in the privacy and comfort of your own auditorium.
Book online easily & instantly. Only $99-$175*!

I think seating is different regionally. Tried the CS one online and maxes out at ten total tickets. $100 flat for everything but the two newest movies out. $150 for those

Just an FYI.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Broncos said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

mason12 said:

Tried Boomtown today. Staff was nice and helpful but clearly in the learning phase (not a problem since they've been open a few days and it's covid times so everything is weird).

I had the "G7" sandwich and Mac and cheese. The G7 was pretty damn good. For a BBQ place with a drive thru window it's an easy choice over any other "fast food" in town. Good ratio of pork, brisket, queso, and bread. The Mac and cheese was actually really good. It easily beats most of the other BBQ restaurants around here. It was really creamy with a small amount of pepper mixed in.

My wife had a turkey sandwich. She complained that there was "too much turkey" on it. Easy fix. She took some turkey off and ate it with the house BBQ sauce she liked. I tried it. The turkey was okay. It wasn't dry but didn't have a lot of flavor (I don't really like turkey so don't listen to me). She also had a side of green beans. Again, the green beans were better than most BBQ places in town. A nice pepper kick here.

All in all I'd go here for to grab a sandwich for a quick lunch. Reasonable price, friendly staff, good food. It is what it is. A quick BBQ place. Don't expect to get a brisket sliced right in front of you directly off a grate. (Don't expect 1775 as that's the last place I clued you guys in on)... but, good stop for a quick BBQ fix.

Dickies comes to mind with Boomtown. Similar concept but Boomtown doesn't taste like high school cafeteria food.

Nice write up. Do you know if they are locally owned? Really trying my best to put my money into the pockets of locals these days. (not judging anyone who doesn't shop local as I myself am unable to stick to it a lot , but just asking)
ratfacemcdougal
Boomtown is from Beaumont...kinda fits with the name.
lockett93
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

Boomtown is from Beaumont...kinda fits with the name.

I heard the owners have moved here to open this restaurant.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
They are from Beaumont. This is their second restaurant. I believe they opened here because their daughter is attending A&M.
Wvpd0707
AG
Blue Moon BBQ has reopened. Saturday and Sunday hours from 11-2.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Wvpd0707 said:

Awesome! Same location, I assume?
BCSWguru
Wvpd0707 said:

menu is not near as extensive, though. if anything the brisket got better.
jja79
AG
What else would you need?
tmtxco
AG
MosesHallRAB83 said:

They are from Beaumont. This is their second restaurant. I believe they opened here because their daughter is attending A&M.
The family (I think the father) also owns Serious Texas BBQ in Northern Colorado (Ft Collins/Loveland area) as well as Durango. We spend part of our year in NoCo and Serious Texas BBQ is where we go when we want good BBQ. Good people and good food.
waltonloads11
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

The Children's Museum of the Brazos Valley is moving to Lakewalk next to POV. They are planning to build a standalone building on the lake over the next few years.
This is an absolutely cool location for the museum. Hopefully it brings more traffic to Lakewalk. I want this area to thrive and survive.
bcstx06
waltonloads11 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

This is an absolutely cool location for the museum. Hopefully it brings more traffic to Lakewalk. I want this area to thrive and survive.

I think this is a great move to bring people to that area of town who would have never gone if the museum wasn't there. The city of Bryan should try to attract more touristy stuff to that area to spur growth because it seems to have stalled for the past few years. What is already there is very nice, but there needs to be more to attract people to the area. Affordable clothing stores, other retail restaurants etc. H&M or something similar would be a great start.
war hymn aggie
AG
GoCo marquee sign says that they will re-open next week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.