BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,329 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tacos La Perlita is very good. We've been several times. Same owners as Cilantro, but a little different twist on the food. More authentic, Mexico Mexican vs TexMex.

Have not been to the Mac N truck. Waistline is already too big!
Geralt of Rivia
S
Is there some kind of local food truck schedule?
tvoiles
New Republic Brewing closing June 30, per their FB page. Last call party on 6/20
AggieBarstool
tvoiles said:

New Republic Brewing closing June 30, per their FB page. Last call party on 6/20

FlyRod
"Our landlord is kicking us out" is what I read on their post. Curious who owns that building...
PS3D
Two new fast food establishments are coming to Wellborn at Southwest Parkway as per New Development.
Collectonian
Cafe Eccell's has changed the name of their upcoming new place from The Local to Public & Main
isitjustme
AG
Collectonian said:

Cafe Eccell's has changed the name of their upcoming new place from The Local to Public & Main
Great name change. I like the name and I like that the owners deferred on the name, minimizing both confusion for customers and hard feelings in the business community.
Eliminatus
AG
toolshed said:

Tacos La Perlita is very good. We've been several times. Same owners as Cilantro, but a little different twist on the food. More authentic, Mexico Mexican vs TexMex.

Have not been to the Mac N truck. Waistline is already too big!
I saw it on the road the other day. It is a Mac and Cheese AND milkshake truck.

toolshed
AG
MILKSHAKES!!

gunan01
AG
Juice It Up on Rock Prairie (in the same strip center as Must Be Heaven) is under new ownership and open again. Opened up 3 weeks ago per the worker behind the counter.
BryanPooch
Public & Main? Is it a reference to a pub and a dining room? It sounds utterly confusing and forgettable to me. Will folks be looking it upas an address on Google Maps?

I'll be going when the latest wave of Covid-19 passes but this name change says nothing to me.
BryanPooch
AggiePhil
AG
SIAP but WingStop coming to Jones Crossing.
australopithecus robustus
BryanPooch said:

Public & Main? Is it a reference to a pub and a dining room? It sounds utterly confusing and forgettable to me. Will folks be looking it upas an address on Google Maps?

I'll be going when the latest wave of Covid-19 passes but this name change says nothing to me.

Really? It sounds like a popular, everybody place to me. They said on a Facebook interview it represents the intersection of the General Public and Main. I think it's catchy personally and speaks clearly for what they're trying to do. To each his own.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I like the name.
HowdyAg99
AG
Costa Vida Fresh Mexican Grill opens Tuesday, July 14th!

4501 Mills Park Cir, Ste 100
College Station

https://www.facebook.com/CostaVidaCollegeStation/

https://www.costavida.com/locations/0168

Surf's up in College Station - Crave The Wave!
Wicked Good Ag
australopithecus robustus said:

BryanPooch said:

Really? It sounds like a popular, everybody place to me. They said on a Facebook interview it represents the intersection of the General Public and Main. I think it's catchy personally and speaks clearly for what they're trying to do. To each his own.
Since you are an owner I would guess you like it
K2T2

BryanPooch said:

I'm def not going to remember what this place is called. That's INCREDIBLY generic. It sounds like a generic company that makes birch furniture for houses with white walls and indoor plants, or ethically made organic cotton tees and hoodies, or sells minimalist rose gold jewelry. The Public House? Main Street? What is that place called?
BlueMiles
AG
K2T2 said:

I'm def not going to remember what this place is called. That's INCREDIBLY generic. It sounds like a generic company that makes birch furniture for houses with white walls and indoor plants, or ethically made organic cotton tees and hoodies, or sells minimalist rose gold jewelry. The Public House? Main Street? What is that place called?

I'm not going to "judge a book by its cover." I'll miss Cafe Eccell, but I am looking forward to trying the Dallis brothers' new concept.
isitjustme
AG
K2T2 said:

BryanPooch said:

You'll remember it if you like their food and service. If you don't like their food and service, it shouldn't matter to you what they're called because you wouldn't be going back anyway. In any case, it's a fine name.
jeffk
AG
Haha. I love 3rd on Main, but for the life of me I can't remember the exact name any time I try to recommend it to someone.
isitjustme
AG
jeffk said:

Haha. I love 3rd on Main, but for the life of me I can't remember the exact name any time I try to recommend it to someone.
Try this - it's the owners 3rd restaurant and it's located on Main Street. That's how I remember it.
BCStalk
jeffk said:

This. I kept calling it 1st of Main until my wife corrected me. Sadly I have been several times. Good food though.
FlyRod
Bam, Red Lobster is gone. Thought chains never went out of business.
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

Sorry, but I gotta say it for the first time ever - must've been too far from the bypass!

We actually used to eat at it several times a year when it was over on Texas where Lupes is. The new location, which obviously a lot closer to the bypass, never made it into our rotation.
techno-ag
AG
This summer will be far worse on restaurants than usual, I'm afraid.
toolshed
AG
I know zero local people that go to Red Lobster. We were given a gift card to go there years ago, and I'm not sure we ever used it. And fried shrimp is one of my favorite meals. It's just at the bottom of the list for local seafood, for the few choices we even have. I'd much rather eat at Fish Daddy's, Razzoos or Shipwreck.
toolshed
AG
Without the fire school, sports events, 7 on 7, new student conferences, etc., I'm in agreement with you, though I hope places can figure out how to adjust and hang on for the long term, despite profits going down the drain.
Collectonian
FlyRod said:

Yep, apparently they are way behind on the rent and have been locked out until they pay $33k in back rent plus legal fees to get a new key.

So far, no word from the corporate office if they intend to pay...seeing reports several other Red Lobsters are doing the same, including one in Tyler that's now $84k behind in rent, even though it has reopened.

I actually liked the food there fine, but just didn't go very often since we usually do take out.
Expert Analysis
AG
toolshed said:

Without the fire school, sports events, 7 on 7, new student conferences, etc., I'm in agreement with you, though I hope places can figure out how to adjust and hang on for the long term, despite profits going down the drain.

Property owners working with the businesses is the biggest thing. Rent is a fixed fee that doesn't change if you are forced to shut down or reduce occupancy or if business is slow. Red lobster property owner will not be getting anything for years if they don't work something out with red lobster. Property owner will be out taxes as well.
I hope the smaller local businesses were able to get some of the government money to help them out.
PS3D
Red Lobster (as a chain) has been suffering for years. It was once the flagship chain of Darden Restaurants (formerly General Mills Restaurant Group) but they sold it off several years ago to a private equity group.
bcstx06
*edit for incorrect information.
bcstx06
The Hungry Howe's Bryan location on Texas Ave has closed. I don't know when, but the signs are gone.
AggiePhil
AG
Rock Prairie Behavioral Health has closed.
EBrazosAg
AG
AggiePhil said:

Rock Prairie Behavioral Health has closed.

Sad for community. Serious lack of psychiatric care in the region.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.