BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,396 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
eloc62 said:

Anybody know when Walk-On's is supposed to open? Have you been to one? Is the food good? I know it's a basic chain type place, but hoping the food is good. Seems to look a lot like Razzoos.

March 2nd per their Facebook.
Wicked Good Ag
Northgate location of 4.0 & Go is gone. They are teaching out of various hotels this semester
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Bryan gets something pretty cool and the CS'ers whine about it not being in south CS. Par for the course, lol.
you got trolled
tb9665
I agree the Big Shots is not going in a great location. It needs to be in a location more convenient to a major highway. Not in a location where it takes several minutes to get to.
EBrazosAg
AG
Masfajitas alert .... I saw actual workers on the parking and exterior last week..... back to boarded up windows only now... that is all....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bobinator
AG
I'd guess that these kind of places make most of their money from locals since a lot of the people coming from out of town probably have a similar place closer, so I'd think having it in between Bryan and College Station is a pretty good location. But that's just a theory, I obviously don't have data on that.

Close enough to campus that they'll probably get good business from students, probably have like profit share nights or whatever with student orgs, and it's centrally located for people in both Bryan and CS.
toolshed
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Masfajitas alert .... I saw actual workers on the parking and exterior last week..... back to boarded up windows only now... that is all....
I've seen workers there several days over the past couple weeks or more, most every time I drive by. Windows have been boarded up for a while, I assume partly to protect them while they do the work around the exterior.
BCSWguru
95_Aggie said:

Quote:

Bryan gets something pretty cool and the CS'ers whine about it not being in south CS. Par for the course, lol.
you got trolled

naw, you fell for it
techno-ag
AG
Can we please get back to Comings and Goings? Thx.
halibut sinclair
Ag2Max
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Yes, and with Conn's and Southern's going in at Post Oak, that area has actually rebounded better than I would have expected.
Let's hope that the local Macy's at Post Oak won't be on the closing list of stores over the next 3 years. Macy's is looking to close up to 125 stores over the next 3 years at what they call their lower tier malls.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Five Guys coming to Chimney Hill.
hijakeroo123
AG
Based on this list, the Post Oak store is likely closing:

https://www.thelayoff.com/t/13uNHKB9
Collectonian
Looks like Title Boxing Club in Culpepper has closed. Spotted a For Lease sign and a notice on the door today.
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

And there was great rejoicing.

Ag2Max
AG
hijakeroo123 said:

Yah that doesn't look encouraging. Will be interesting to see what happens but hope it can stay open.
eloc62
Just wondering what the hell is going on with that hotel looking thing behind the CS U-Haul and O'rielly auto parts store across from the Wal-Mart? Seems like they've been building on that thing for a year now, and when i drive by, it looks like there is like 3 guys out there working on it. What is taking so long to get that thing built, and what is it gonna be?
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think it's a Red Lion.
LastHamlet
AG
Ag2Max said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Yes, and with Conn's and Southern's going in at Post Oak, that area has actually rebounded better than I would have expected.
Let's hope that the local Macy's at Post Oak won't be on the closing list of stores over the next 3 years. Macy's is looking to close up to 125 stores over the next 3 years at what they call their lower tier malls.
I would consider Post Oak Mall as being lower tier.
Counterpoint
AG
eloc62 said:

Just wondering what the hell is going on with that hotel looking thing behind the CS U-Haul and O'rielly auto parts store across from the Wal-Mart? Seems like they've been building on that thing for a year now, and when i drive by, it looks like there is like 3 guys out there working on it. What is taking so long to get that thing built, and what is it gonna be?
Well, if there are only 3 guys working on it, it's gonna take awhile.
doubledog
Counterpoint said:

eloc62 said:

Well, if there are only 3 guys working on it, it's gonna take awhile.
Speaking of 3 guys add 2 more and you have 5 guys, coming to Chimney Hill.

tvoiles
On the edge of Aggieland area:

Grand Opening for WildFlyer Mead Co., Saturday Noon til 9

16481 County Rd 319, Navasota TX 77868

Owners are returned Aggies

Mead tasting, food truck.....etc
PS3D
Ag2Max said:

hijakeroo123 said:

Yah that doesn't look encouraging. Will be interesting to see what happens but hope it can stay open.
If I recall, those stores aren't necessarily closing but were ID'd as lower-performing stores, and indications are that those stores are supposed to be downsized but remain open.
Ajollyag
Captn_Ag05 said:

Oh great another burger place on university....
war hymn aggie
AG
Heard that Urban Bricks will be closing (again) here in a few days. They've already told staff.
dgonzo99
PS3D said:

Ag2Max said:

hijakeroo123 said:

If I recall, those stores aren't necessarily closing but were ID'd as lower-performing stores, and indications are that those stores are supposed to be downsized but remain open.
I have read where the downsized stores are about the size of Beall's. That would be good. There is a lot of wasted space in the current store, especially the Men's department since they stopped carrying a lot of the merchandise that they carried before. At least, they would have jobs. Every time I go there, there are only about 5 people working in the whole store anyway. Probably no layoffs.
jeffk
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Heard that Urban Bricks will be closing (again) here in a few days. They've already told staff.

I hope they told the poor dude who hands out their coupons on campus every week.
hijakeroo123
AG
Actually, based on reports from within the company, individual stores may be added and removed from the list over the next three years barring miracle turnaround situations, but overall, the list is not expected to change substantially and the listed stores are ultimately targeted for closure due either to low volume or overlap with other nearby locations. The number of stores listed on this list, plus the 30 or so closures announced equals the 125 closure target number which Macy's announced a week or so ago to investors. According to reports, the company is staggering these closures to prevent a large amount of closing sales from taking place in any market at a given time, while also giving marginal locations a last ditch opportunity for turnaround.

As far as the Post Oak store goes, it likely won't see mass downsizing activity due to its already limited square footage. The stores which have been downsized are often closer to the 200k-300k square footage range. Having been in one of these stores in CO a few months back (which also appears on this list), the end result feels much like a Sears (both in product selection and the physical store environment), and is a case study in why Macy's is doing these closures.
Collectonian
Spotted on Facebook: Gamers Anthem, which is billing itself as a console-only arcade lounge, is slated to open March 7th, out near the North Texas Ave and HIghway 21 intersection, near the O'Reilly store.

Per their site, the hours of operation will be:

Mon & Tue: 1pm-9pm
Wed: Closed
Thurs-Sat: 12pm-10pm
Sun: 1pm-9pm

---------

Also, Don Chente Mexican & Seafood Restaurant has opened on Villa Maria in the set of buildings directly across VM from HEB. I couldn't find a website, so no idea on pricing, menu, or hours. Google is listing it from 7 am to midnight most days.

dgonzo99
Rapid Express Car Wash is going to be built at Rudder's Landing in West Bryan.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I believe they are also putting in a location on Wellborn in CS near where new Dunkin Donuts is going.
halibut sinclair
Saw signage up yesterday for some place called Ollie's Bargain Outlet - in the old Toys R Us location.

https://www.ollies.us/home.html

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Discount-retail-store-moving-into-old-Toys-R-Us-building-in-College-Station-567926551.html
AggieKatie2
AG
Anyone know why Sub Zero in Century Square closed?
Captn_Ag05
AG
I would imagine it is several factors - ice cream sales are probably hard to sustain in the colder months, they were not visible from the street or even within the center, and people that don't want to pay for parking to name a few.
chickencoupe16
AG
I don't have any insider knowledge, but the one time I went, I wasn't impressed at all. Took forever to make the ice cream because of the show they put on with the nitrogen. I also thought it had an off taste to it, but that could have just been me. Ultimately, I think the location and wait time probably did them in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.