BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,397 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nor sure how reliable his information is, but a Texags poster is claiming a Buc-ee's is coming to the area...

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3095176/replies/56018823

Aggieland Proud
AG
Heard that as well. Supposedly south of CS, not in the city.
Captn_Ag05
AG
If they were to come here, I didn't figure they would be in the city but hopefully it isn't too far south.

Lots of smoke on this now. Paging Rusty Surette to check into it...
trouble
AG
https://www.facebook.com/1907704179509819/posts/2587325381547692/
Captn_Ag05
AG
Rusty is great! Glad he checked into it.
AggieBarstool
Captn_Ag05 said:

I would imagine it is several factors - ice cream sales are probably hard to sustain in the colder months, they were not visible from the street or even within the center, and people that don't want to pay for parking to name a few.
All this, and poor advertising. I didn't even know there was an ice cream place in Century Square.
FlyRod
Apologies if I missed this, but co workers tell me there's a new Mexican restaurant where Jesse's #2 was. Don...something? Curious if anyone has been.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Apologies if I missed this, but co workers tell me there's a new Mexican restaurant where Jesse's #2 was. Don...something? Curious if anyone has been.
Don Chente Mexican & Seafood Restaurant. Haven't been.
drthoop
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I would imagine it is several factors - ice cream sales are probably hard to sustain in the colder months, they were not visible from the street or even within the center, and people that don't want to pay for parking to name a few.
All this, and poor advertising. I didn't even know there was an ice cream place in Century Square.
On top of the fact that it tasted like crap.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
JSAD
Blake's Steaks is shutting down the 29th of February per facebook.
Collectonian
Found their post - looks like they are closing Blakes to focus on a new grocery store, Zeitman's Grocery Store, that they plan to open in downtown Bryan on N. Main, which will have an express version of Blake's inside.
EBrazosAg
AG
Collectonian said:

Found their post - looks like they are closing Blakes to focus on a new grocery store, Zeitman's Grocery Store, that they plan to open in downtown Bryan on N. Main, which will have an express version of Blake's inside.

Excited for their new endeavor. Probably a good plan to shut down Blake's ... the food was always great but the detail and execution could be very variable. I bet the new place does great.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie09Derek
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Collectonian said:

Excited for their new endeavor. Probably a good plan to shut down Blake's ... the food was always great but the detail and execution could be very variable. I bet the new place does great.
Why would the new place make that better?

isitjustme
AG
Because the new venture is not a blakes steaks but rather a small grocery store with a version of blakes steaks within the store. Hopefully their experience running blakes as a stand alone will help make the whole grocery store a success.
EBrazosAg
AG
Since I'm not perfect, I often find starting over on a different but similar endeavor leads to better results than I would achieve trying to fix what wasn't working. But maybe that's just me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie09Derek
AG
What wasn't working with it?
Ajollyag
agrab86 said:

Because the new venture is not a blakes steaks but rather a small grocery store with a version of blakes steaks within the store. Hopefully their experience running blakes as a stand alone will help make the whole grocery store a success.

Why on earth would someone choose to go to a small grocery store when our city has 4 HEB's in it?
PS3D
ajolly said:

agrab86 said:

Why on earth would someone choose to go to a small grocery store when our city has 4 HEB's in it?
I assume it's some sort of specialty operation with convenience and specialty items, not a "real" grocery store.

Also, Bryan-College Station has five H-E-B stores between them, not four.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Sometimes you just want to get in and get out fast without a lot of hassle. If I'm in a hurry and just need one item I'll overpay for it at Walgreens.
toolshed
AG
ajolly said:

agrab86 said:

I think, if done right, it could do well. Downtown is hopping right now. I went last night to pick up a pizza, and for blocks, you couldn't find a parking spot on the street. There are more apartments and such down there, and I am sure they'd frequent something closer to them.

From their post, they intend to have a bakery, deli, serve food as well as household items. I think of The Meat board http://themeatboard.com/ in Fort Worth. They are a higher end butcher in Fort Worth and apparently serve food as well. They are new, and I don't know how their business is doing, but it seems some people are trending back to the smaller niche, craft items that you can't readily find in a supermarket. I think HEB is selling some more hand made craft items in some stores.

Readfield Market here is Bryan does really good business, selling deli items, meat cuts, specialty items. I wish we had a bakery that sold more fresh breads, pastas, etc.. I think we have had a couple and they haven't made it long term for lack of business. But I think if a bakery, pasta vendor could team up with something like Readfields or Farm Patch, and sell the truly fresh produce, breads, etc. I think they could do OK locally.
bobinator
AG
A readfields, farm patch, bakery, etc type market set up would be awesome.
Broncos
I frequent HEB but often go to Farm Patch for some hidden gems that I haven't seen at HEB along with better produce.
isitjustme
AG
ajolly said:

agrab86 said:

One group of customers will be those who live in downtown - more and more every month - who like the idea of walking to a grocery store. In fact, the new store will likely encourage more people to move to downtown and the construction of more downtown units.

Another group of customers will be those that work at downtown business and need items during the day and don't want to go too far to get them.

Another group of customers are those who live outside of downtown but in the general area and need a few to several items, or even a whole basket-full, but don't want the hassle of going to an HEB, WalMart, or Kroger. This is part of why the ALDI on Briarcrest is doing so well, the other part being low prices for their store brands.
OnlyANobody
I don't typically go downtown on a weekday evening, so am unsure what the usual activity level is there. But I did go last night. The Hispanic Forum hosted a "Meet the Candidates" event at the Queen. That definitely caused some parking issues.That said, I did notice some crowds at other spots as well, at around 8:30.
MiMi
S
Took the family to Southerns (in Post Oak Mall) for dinner tonight. Went early evening so no crowd since no musical event was scheduled. Great service, good food. We had the tater kegs, wings (New Orleans Voodoo sauce), pizza (PB&J), burger, and meat/cheese board. Excellent happy hour beer prices. Limited kid's menu but the toddler enjoyed the chicken bites/fries. The fries are a large curly steak fry. Unique but very good. Most popular item was the tater kegs - large tater tots stuffed with bacon, sour cream, and cheese with queso or ranch for dipping.
FlyRod
May have missed this one too, but Downtown Uncorked is closing in Bryan and re-opening in south College Station...near the Tipsey Bean.
JSAD
FlyRod said:

May have missed this one too, but Downtown Uncorked is closing in Bryan and re-opening in south College Station...near the Tipsey Bean.
Have they posted when their last day is going to be?
techno-ag
AG
FlyRod said:

With Sandy Farris retiring, let's hope the good times continue in Downtown Bryan.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Another broken egg is set to open on March 2. That is the same opening day as Walk-Ons.
happyinBCS
Is this public I have not seen anything of the Downtown closing
FlyRod
Have heard this from the owner and friends of hers. No date set yet that I know of.
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
Any idea what they're clearing land for back behind Razoo's (between Homewood Suites & Residence Inn)?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Yes -

Quote:

The re-imagining of University Towne Center will transform College Station's dominant dining destination into a pedestrian friendly shopping and entertainment district. The project will expand to over 200,000 square feet to increase offerings and provide a gathering place for locals, students and visitors alike.

The re-imagining of University Towne Center will transform College Station's dominant dining destination into a pedestrian friendly shopping and entertainment district. The project will expand to over 200,000 square feet to increase offerings and provide a gathering place for locals, students and visitors alike.

+/- 53,900 SF of Retail
+/- 15,000 SF of Grocery
+/- 52,800 SF Restaurant
+/- 105 Units of Multi-Family
See more: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/pyp3sCXIG9aNFUD5AF1aKOHHs5NSMOem9EpIICXrxc8/document.pdf
Captn_Ag05
AG
Saw people holding signs on University for Motherhood Maternity going out of business sale. Everything is 70% off.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Genghis Grill is closing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.