BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,391 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag
AggiePhil
AG
CHOCOLATE strawberry tarts, I hope.
mgreen
Good luck and thank you Costa.
Costa and Andreas
Thanks Mike! Yes we have both chocolate and regular tarts at Burger Mojo and will have both at Bodega Express when it opens.
KidDoc
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Thanks Mike! Yes we have both chocolate and regular tarts at Burger Mojo and will have both at Bodega Express when it opens.
Great to here you guys are hanging in there! Love me some Cafe Eccel!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Stella Hotel, Campfire, and POV shutting down until April 30.
MiMi
S
The signage for South College Station Dental (Towerpoint, on Arrington Rd) has been removed from their office. They have only been open about a month or so. With dental offices having to cancel all elective procedures, I'm wondering if this means they have closed permanently?
Collectonian
They posted an update on their Facebook yesterday saying they were open for urgent dental needs, per the shelter in place. So maybe just replacing the sign?
KidDoc
AG
MiMi said:

The signage for South College Station Dental (Towerpoint, on Arrington Rd) has been removed from their office. They have only been open about a month or so. With dental offices having to cancel all elective procedures, I'm wondering if this means they have closed permanently?
I would guess they are on a month leave but I have no inside info.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OnlyANobody
Totally off-topic, but loving your new Doctor Badge!
trouble
AG
Oooooooh you fancy with that new badge

See you Friday
medicalag
AG
How do I get one of those doctor badges?
Tailgate88
AG
medicalag said:

How do I get one of those doctor badges?

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3102278
medicalag
AG
Thanks Tailgate88!
AggiePhil
AG
Y'all heard anything about Abuelo's closing??
Ag2Max
AG
AggiePhil said:

Do you mean closing permanently?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AggiePhil said:

Their last facebook post was last Saturday about offering curbside delivery. However, on their website the College Station location no longer shows up.
susieq30
I'm so sad. It says permanently closed. My favorite Mexican restaurant here in College Station.
Ag2Max
AG
susieq30 said:

I'm so sad. It says permanently closed. My favorite Mexican restaurant here in College Station.
One of my faves too. Was so glad when it opened here as I had been to the one in Midland a lot and liked it. I hate to see it go and wish it wasn't true. But they are no longer listed on the Abuelo's website so it must be true!
isitjustme
AG
I called Abuelos about 1:45 and no answer, no message, just ringing.

There are a lot of restaurants many of us are trying to keep open. I'm sure Abuelos had plenty of local, non-student customers. But where they are located, they probably also depended a great deal on TAMU students and hotel guests, and we haven't had a lot of either for 3 weeks. That's a lot of time in the restaurant business.

I hope that Abuelos closing isn't a sign of things to come for restaurant row in particular and B-CS in general. Keep supporting your favorite restaurants and hopefully most will make it through. I for one don't want to see the goings list being longer than the comings.
techno-ag
AG
agrab86 said:

I called Abuelos about 1:45 and no answer, no message, just ringing.

There are a lot of restaurants many of us are trying to keep open. I'm sure Abuelos had plenty of local, non-student customers. But where they are located, they probably also depended a great deal on TAMU students and hotel guests, and we haven't had a lot of either for 3 weeks. That's a lot of time in the restaurant business.

I hope that Abuelos closing isn't a sign of things to come for restaurant row in particular and B-CS in general. Keep supporting your favorite restaurants and hopefully most will make it through. I for one don't want to see the goings list being longer than the comings.
This is likely going to be a tough time for all restaurants, even more so for locally operated outfits. It's a tough business with thin margins. God bless.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Ag2Max
AG
And this is just not a BCS situation. There are going to be quite a few closures all over the US in the restaurant business unfortunately.
trouble
AG
No but college towns and tourist areas are going to get hit esp hard. A large portion of their customers with disposable income simply aren't there to contribute at all.
jja79
AG
Over the years there have been quite a few people post that their jobs or business doesn't depend on A&M. They may soon find out.
dgonzo99
Abuelo's and the other restaurants used to be pretty much the only game in town. Now, they aren't. The people in South CS have a number of options. No need to drive that far for a meal. And the people to the north have a lot more choices in Downtown Bryan. Restaurant row relies more and more on student traffic. CS is getting overbuilt in new restaurants. They are slicing up "the piece of the pie" smaller and smaller and not creating new demand.
Costa and Andreas
Cross post:

Hi All-

Here's the latest.

La Bodega Express will open Monday 3/30/20 at 11am
Drive thru
simple, affordable menu
both varieties of strawberry tart

We are also planning a promo to declare our opening to the front line health care workers that are and will be dealing with the pandemic. Let's call it "front line health care appreciation".

We will offer free meal items to these courageous folks who come through the drive thru. We will just need to see their qualifying ID/credentials at transaction time.

4101 S Texas Ave (Texas Ave and Rosemary)
Daily 11am-9pm

We know that food accessibility options have narrowed greatly with the closures. We're hoping that this reopening of the drive thru can help with the variety and access offered.

Also we are happy that we can get at least some of our people back to work.
halibut sinclair
Got a menu we could look at?
Costa and Andreas
I have an image of the drive thru menu proof. Forgive my tech-block but I'm not quite sure how to get that image uploaded into this site. It's an image from my email account.

I'm just a Chef lol

Alternatively, I could email it to you......
chickencoupe16
AG
Bread pudding on the menu? Please say yes.
Costa and Andreas
For this iteration we are doing the two tarts, coconut pie and key lime pie. With all that's going on we just don't have the staff to make all we did at Cafe Eccell.
La Bodega Express really is it's own entity here. Our goal was to keep overhead low so that prices to the customer could be low and the drive thru could be fast.

My apologies. I personally love the bread pudding.
chickencoupe16
AG
No worries! That definitely makes sense. I guess you'll just have to PM me the recipe.
BryanPooch
Does anyone know if Abuelo's was a franchise or a corporate store. I suspect that has a big effect on how the individual locations are able to weather these extended closings.
BryanPooch
angus55
Probably just change thread to Goings 2020. And then just put everything underneath
Broncos
You should add the peach tart while you're at it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.