BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,349 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Broncos said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

mason12 said:

On Boomtown - no bark with flavor on the brisket. Bland meat overall. The slices I got were fatty on one end and tough/rubbery on the other end. Sauces was okay. The group I went with thought the pulled pork was good (on sandwiches and nachos).
The BBQ is ok at best. Their concepts of blending together a bunch of stuff into a sandwich or dish is something different.

Tried Boomtown today. Staff was nice and helpful but clearly in the learning phase (not a problem since they've been open a few days and it's covid times so everything is weird).

I had the "G7" sandwich and Mac and cheese. The G7 was pretty damn good. For a BBQ place with a drive thru window it's an easy choice over any other "fast food" in town. Good ratio of pork, brisket, queso, and bread. The Mac and cheese was actually really good. It easily beats most of the other BBQ restaurants around here. It was really creamy with a small amount of pepper mixed in.

My wife had a turkey sandwich. She complained that there was "too much turkey" on it. Easy fix. She took some turkey off and ate it with the house BBQ sauce she liked. I tried it. The turkey was okay. It wasn't dry but didn't have a lot of flavor (I don't really like turkey so don't listen to me). She also had a side of green beans. Again, the green beans were better than most BBQ places in town. A nice pepper kick here.

All in all I'd go here for to grab a sandwich for a quick lunch. Reasonable price, friendly staff, good food. It is what it is. A quick BBQ place. Don't expect to get a brisket sliced right in front of you directly off a grate. (Don't expect 1775 as that's the last place I clued you guys in on)... but, good stop for a quick BBQ fix.

Dickies comes to mind with Boomtown. Similar concept but Boomtown doesn't taste like high school cafeteria food.

A real Boomtown review.
LastHamlet
AG
TommyBrady said:

The fact that people think that Boomtown is better than Coopers just makes me realize people don't have good taste and yeah Dickey's was so good they went out of business.
Bluestars for you.
LastHamlet
AG
1775 is the best in town, but like the above poster said Boomtown will do in a pinch. The smoked sausage is really good. Didn't like the ribs, chicken, or brisket though. I also didn't care for the pinto beans or the cheesy potatoes.

If I go back again I would only order the sausage.
Anonymous Source
S
TommyBrady said:

The fact that people think that Boomtown is better than Coopers just makes me realize people don't have good taste and yeah Dickey's was so good they went out of business.
It's why Kreuz Market went out of business.
"I cant slather it in sauce? And the casing on their sausage is all wrinkly and not perfect like the Eckrich I eat at home, also slathered in sauce. Booooooooooo....."
Gig 'Em
halibut sinclair
Chef Tai's new restaurant, Solt, is opening today at 11am (old Veritas location).

Menu:

http://www.soltrestaurant.com/uploads/3/7/9/1/37916741/solt_mock_menu_legal_size__2_.pdf
dallasiteinsa02
halibut sinclair said:

Chef Tai's new restaurant, Solt, is opening today at 11am (old Veritas location).

Menu:

http://www.soltrestaurant.com/uploads/3/7/9/1/37916741/solt_mock_menu_legal_size__2_.pdf
As someone that went out to Veritas to support them, spent a ton of money, and heard the sob stories from ownership of Covid killing a long standing business and then see the announcement along with a sign up that takes months to get produced up the next week. It will be a long time before I go to this restaurant. We were all lied to our face.
halibut sinclair
I could not care less. Never a fan of Veritas - it was kind of stuffy and the menu didn't appeal to us. This place looks pretty cool and I like the menu. Can't fault the guy for trying something new if Veritas wasn't profitable during these trying, difficult, challenging times.
KidDoc
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Menu:

As someone that went out to Veritas to support them, spent a ton of money, and heard the sob stories from ownership of Covid killing a long standing business and then see the announcement along with a sign up that takes months to get produced up the next week. It will be a long time before I go to this restaurant. We were all lied to our face.
Tai did not lie - we chatted during dinner that last week and he said the lack of take-out orders at a high end sit down restaurant was killing Veritas. So he opted to change into a model more similar to Urban Table which has done well in the COVID environment.

Of course feel free to not go to Solt it is your dollars!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dallasiteinsa02
KidDoc said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Menu:

Tai did not lie - we chatted during dinner that last week and he said the lack of take-out orders at a high end sit down restaurant was killing Veritas. So he opted to change into a model more similar to Urban Table which has done well in the COVID environment.

That was after the announcement of Solt. I am referencing the period of time during the last two weeks that Veritas was open.
toolshed
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

KidDoc said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Menu:

That was after the announcement of Solt. I am referencing the period of time during the last two weeks that Veritas was open.
KidDoc just said he talked with Tai the last week Veritas was open while eating dinner there.
FlyRod
Quite a few friends of mine worked at Veritas, many from the beginning. All agree (as do I) that they were going downhill and hurting long before COVID. Menu kept shrinking/staying the same, wine list got less interesting, and staff become younger and less well trained. Que sera.

COVID of course didn't help. But the expansion of the restaurant scene in BCS didn't either.

I wish Tai well with his new venture. Tough time to open a restaurant.
meezermom
Solt's menu seems pretty small. And yet another restaurant that as a vegetarian, my only food option is a salad. I guess it's another no-go restaurant for us, unfortunately. I was really looking forward to something new.
trouble
AG
meezermom said:

Solt's menu seems pretty small. And yet another restaurant that as a vegetarian, my only food option is a salad. I guess it's another no-go restaurant for us, unfortunately. I was really looking forward to something new.
Does the Asian pasta have meat? There's also a carrot soup. It also looks like 3 of the appetizers are meatless.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
meezermom said:

Solt's menu seems pretty small.
That's pretty much the case at many restaurants right now since they are forced to limit capacity.

That said, I count about a dozen different entrees , half a dozen burgers and wraps, plus nine appetizers (STEAK CARPACCIO!!!). That's actually bigger than the regular menu at Veritas.

I know the wife and I will be there this weekend to try it out.
war hymn aggie
AG
Re: Solt.....their price point seems to be a bit high but could be successful if their quality & service are superb.

I'll wait & see how initial reviews are before visiting but I sincerely hope that they succeed. Independent operators are taking a serious hit with COVID while many national chains are less affected. From what I've heard & read, many fast food chains are enjoying record sales mainly because of COVID practices.

Please consider our local independent restaurants when deciding where to eat/dine.
techno-ag
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Re: Solt.....their price point seems to be a bit high but could be successful if their quality & service are superb.

I'll wait & see how initial reviews are before visiting but I sincerely hope that they succeed. Independent operators are taking a serious hit with COVID while many national chains are less affected. From what I've heard & read, many fast food chains are enjoying record sales mainly because of COVID practices.

Please consider our local independent restaurants when deciding where to eat/dine.
Agreed, but even the chains are often locally owned. And their employees are local, too.
bcstx06
In the Bryan Target Center there is a new children's play place going in where The smaller Trufit was located. It's called Smarty Sprouts Kids Club.
https://smartysproutskidsclub.com/

Next to it is a new chain hair salon called Sola Salon. It's the same salon that is connected to the McDonald's on Rock Prairie.
https://www.solasalonstudios.com/

On the other side of the Sola Salon is a Sylvan Learning Center. It has been there for a little while but I don't know if it's ever been mentioned on here.
https://locations.sylvanlearning.com/

I'm other news, there is now a trailer on the pro site of the future Big Shots Golf and dirt is moving!

The new Panda Express in front of the Briarcrest Walmart looks about half way completed.

The Texas A&M system and Blinn College have officially opened a new agriculture and workforce education complex on the RELLIS campus.
https://wtaw.com/grand-opening-of-new-texas-am-system-blinn-college-rellis-campus-building/

Collectonian
Construction underway around 2818 and Dartmouth (the north side of the street).

The signs indicate one is a NAPA auto center and the other will be Gladney Auto Shop. No idea if this will be a second location or if the existing one is moving.
txbudda
It is not a NAPA auto care center NAPA is building a new store and moving both its College Station Stores into it
JMac03
AG
The sign where Four Points hotel is has been covered up (across from Jack in the Box on Texas)
Collectonian
txbudda said:

It is not a NAPA auto care center NAPA is building a new store and moving both its College Station Stores into it

Ahh, sorry, I forget they have NAPA auto care centers too LOL I meant the NAPA store kind :-D Thanks for clarifying it
ratfacemcdougal
It looks like FedEx has basically vacated the Longmire location. All of the trucks are gone and the street where all the drivers parked is empty. It looks like they are still taking drop offs though
bcstx06
Is Applebee's still open? Lately the parking lot seems completely empty and the grass overgrown.
Geralt of Rivia
S
That isn't normal?
PS3D
meezermom said:

And yet another restaurant that as a vegetarian, my only food option is a salad. I guess it's another no-go restaurant for us, unfortunately. I was really looking forward to something new.
Outside of the token veggie burger, I feel that for most restaurants (except for Indian or specialty vegetarian/vegan restaurants) that's going to be normal.

Tailgate88
AG
Sorry if I missed it but what is going on in front of Scott & White hospital? South side right by the feeder?
JM04
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Sorry if I missed it but what is going on in front of Scott & White hospital? South side right by the feeder?

Another strip center. Identical to the one w/ jersey mikes.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Quote:

Tailgate88 said:

Another strip center. Identical to the one w/ jersey mikes.
The construction going on near Jersey Mike's is another strip center. The other site, a bit more south and right by the feeder road, is a new water tower.
toolshed
AG
I saw the pier drilling crane for the footings yesterday as we drove by. I figured no way that's for a strip center.
meezermom
Welcome to College Station and our two lovely water towers...
JM04
AG
I'm referring to the construction by the other strip center & gas station. Unsure of the construction next to the feeder.
crbongos
AG
Solt is really good! Did a great job on reworking the interior. I had a beef kabob that was very good
. Candied bacon is good too. Veritas never had chicken but Solt doesand it's really good! Love the environment! Congrats Tai and Christina! It will be on my regular rotation!
CRBongo
MiMi
S
Quote:

Unsure of the construction next to the feeder.
New water tower
toolshed
AG
meezermom said:

Welcome to College Station and our two lovely water towers...

Not to worry, it won't even be noticeable. Per Mooney's request, it will be disguised as a tree, surround by an overly dense forest of baby trees. It will be the envy of the climate change crowd!! All is well!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Thx

Looking forward to it this week

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.