Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,600 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
LEJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
44mAG said:

So, if you do get drawn, your points go to zero, correct? I would also assume that you are not allowed to buy a point in the summer if you get drawn this year?

Im not 100 certain but generally, if you draw with your first choice (in CO for instance), points go to 0. If you draw with your 2nd choice, you get a point and retain others you already have.

I don't think you could buy a point after drawing but man I'm not 100% certain
LEJ
98Ag99Grad said:

Are these for a public land hunt?

Mainly, but you do have to get drawn for private land hunts in some cases as well.
arrow
AG
For anyone just getting started who doesn't want to play the points game or is concerned with point creep, you can typically buy landowner tags in the year you know you want to hunt. I've seen mule deer tags as low as $500 to elk tags over $10k.

For now, I don't mind playing the points game. It gives me options for relatively inexpensive hunts each year.
TexasAg2017
AG
So for a first timer like myself, I would be better suited to just start collecting points in say CO, W, MT and then use this year to start prepping and accumulating gear? I feel like if I some how landed a tag this year I would be extremely under prepared.
shaynew1
AG
TexasAg2017 said:

So for a first timer like myself, I would be better suited to just start collecting points in say CO, W, MT and then use this year to start prepping and accumulating gear? I feel like if I some how landed a tag this year I would be extremely under prepared.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a memorable and enriching experience.

Nobody is getting any younger. Go every year you are able.
cupofjoe04
AG
2nd what Shayne said. Put in for a hunt or two that you would like to try. If you draw, great! Get some help and go learn! If you don't, make sure you get your points, and try to tag along with someone who did draw if at all possible. That learning curve will be there for your first hunt regardless of if it's this year or next.

You could also get points, and then get an OTC or leftover tag somewhere (over the counter, no points). That would be a good way to learn (lower chance of success, but hunting just the same) without burning years of points.
LEJ
Go man! It's the only way to really get hooked.
agenjake
That is my understanding. But I am very new at this game .
agenjake
This is good advice.

You might learn, perhaps, How far can a flat landing desk jockey drag an antelope before his lungs burn like fire?

So I've heard.
agenjake
It looks like this year will be trying to fit in a late season doe (maybe cow) hunt while visiting family in Wyoming.

But I am piecing together a crew of BAMF Killing machines for a 2020 mulie/antelope hunt.
Hodor
AG
First time last year (MT general tag) was unsuccessful, mostly miserable weather, and I can't wait to give it a second go!
cupofjoe04
AG
Did you make an antelope backpack?

Shot my first antelope this year, had to move it a little over a mile after. I drug it a little ways, then sat down and thought there must be a better way. Gut it, drain and dry as best you can- then tie the legs together and you can sling it on top of your shoulders like a pack. Not too bad carrying one like that, made it a TON easier not dragging and catching on every bush. Make sure to put some orange on it if on public lands...
TexasAg2017
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

2nd what Shayne said. Put in for a hunt or two that you would like to try. If you draw, great! Get some help and go learn! If you don't, make sure you get your points, and try to tag along with someone who did draw if at all possible. That learning curve will be there for your first hunt regardless of if it's this year or next.

You could also get points, and then get an OTC or leftover tag somewhere (over the counter, no points). That would be a good way to learn (lower chance of success, but hunting just the same) without burning years of points.

Never thought about it like that! Looks like I'll be doing some more research for WY and MT tomorrow. Gonna keep an eye on this thread and see what I can learn.
agenjake
cupofjoe04 said:

Did you make an antelope backpack?

No, I didn't, but should have. Drug one out about 900 yards or so. Then the next day we took turns dragging my FILs out about 1 mile. I've already told myself I am carrying the next one out like a pack or quartered up.
BullSprig07
AG
TexasAg2017 said:

Already some good responses to this but if a DIY elk trip in year one seems too daunting consider doing a Wyoming antelope hunt. You'll pickup a lot of that same gear and actually get to use it in the field a little but on a much less stressful hunt with higher odds of success compared to backcountry elk or high country mule deer. Options are limited with zero points but it can be done. The research you do trying to figure out what unit to hunt, where the public land is, how to access it plus the logistics of driving long distance to hunt DIY will carry over to elk, mulies and all other western big game hunting.
BigPuma
AG
Bought an OTC Idaho elk tag already for 2019. Also in the elk draw for Wy and Az so far.
cupofjoe04
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

TexasAg2017 said:

Already some good responses to this but if a DIY elk trip in year one seems too daunting consider doing a Wyoming antelope hunt. You'll pickup a lot of that same gear and actually get to use it in the field a little but on a much less stressful hunt with higher odds of success compared to backcountry elk or high country mule seer. Options are limited with zero points but it can be done. The research you do trying to figure out what unit to hunt, where the public land is, how to access it plus the logistics of driving long distance to hunt DIY will carry over to elk, mulies and all other western big game hunting.

This is really really good advice
cupofjoe04
AG
Anyone have advice (or a website for info) on a Pacific NW hunt? I've been dreaming of chasing elk or deer in those misty mountians.
TexasAg2017
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

TexasAg2017 said:

Already some good responses to this but if a DIY elk trip in year one seems too daunting consider doing a Wyoming antelope hunt. You'll pickup a lot of that same gear and actually get to use it in the field a little but on a much less stressful hunt with higher odds of success compared to backcountry elk or high country mule deer. Options are limited with zero points but it can be done. The research you do trying to figure out what unit to hunt, where the public land is, how to access it plus the logistics of driving long distance to hunt DIY will carry over to elk, mulies and all other western big game hunting.

I'm going to look into this as well! I'll see what I can figure out and post any questions I find. Isn't the WY deadline today??
BigPuma
AG
Wyoming deadlines are:

non resident elk deadline today. (1/31)

Sheep, Moose, Goat, and Bison - 2/28

Deer and Anteloper 5/31
shaynew1
AG
Who is game for a TA2019WSDD outing at the total archery challenge in San Antonio?

Agingcowboy and I went last year, and I know a few other of you guys went as well. I'm definitely going one day, but am trying to talk my wife into going to visit some of her friends and making a weekend of it.
agingcowboy
AG
I'm game to do it again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Anyone have advice (or a website for info) on a Pacific NW hunt? I've been dreaming of chasing elk or deer in those misty mountians.
no idea but a Rosie is on my bucket list!
shaynew1
AG
THEN WE FLING ARROWS AND EAT STEAKS
LEJ
NRD09 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

no idea but a Rosie is on my bucket list!

Search some of Cody Rich's podcasts. He's originally from Oregon and grew up hunting Rosie's. One of my favorite podcasts is of him interviewing a guy about Roosevelt elk and how he uses his ranger finder as his only "glass" bc everything is so thick. I've emailed Cody several times and if you catch him just right you can get a lot of good banter in with him.

Edit. It's EP 245 Big Roosevelt bulls with Roy Kosydar

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-rich-outdoors-hunting-podcast/id981781015?mt=2&i=1000414740009
BullSprig07
AG
The Rich Outdoors has some good content
LEJ
I honestly think he has the best.
stdeb11
AG
Some good advice on everything so far. Just echoing the sentiment to get out and go. Ask questions to everyone. And, "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do".

Also, I picked up a Black Diamond Mega mid floor less tipi of Craigslist super cheap to try out this year. I forsee adding a stove for it in my future if I end up liking it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I used to carry a tarp as a kitchen/gear shelter and have replaced it with a megamid. Well worth the extra couple ounces to be able to get completely out of the elements. Also makes a great summer family tent in nest-only mode
stdeb11
AG
Awesome. I got the nest as well as the wife said she wouldn't use it without that. I think floorless will be better with the dog too... I was blown away with how light it is. I need to rig up a trekking pole setup vs the aluminum pole tho
BradMtn346
cupofjoe04 said:

I know some guys in Northern California. They do more pigs and deer. Not sure that is what you are after.
BradMtn346
Wow. I'm late to the table on this thread. As Joe said, happy to help with Colorado. I know it and the draw statistics really well.

Things have been changing here. Everyone will have to buy a hunting lisence to apply. Much like the other western states. Moose, goat and sheep preference points cost some money.

Any questions, just ask.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Best unit for Muleys, for non-resident, rifle season?

And are you available to guide me ?
BradMtn346
How many points do you have? Lots of great units. All depends on the points.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Big fat zero ... I'm trying to build them starting this year

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.