Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,578 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
BullSprig07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flying out Thursday Morning. First year to fly and the quick travel is going to be nice but all the extra logistics of firearms and trying to get meat/horns back are stressing me out enough that I'm not sure it's worth it.

This little cold snap had me feeling extra spy on my run this morning though.
aggie0959
We are headed Thursday morning to Colorado from Coleman
AgEng06
AG
We're leaving a week from Thursday for CO 2nd rifle.
shaynew1
AG
Get killin guys
AgEng06
AG
If we somehow manage to fill all of the tags we have, we'll need to buy some more coolers for the trip home.
LEJ
I got your coolers right here.

{ points to coolers }
cupofjoe04
mneisch
AG
Hunting partner and I are in the same boat. We both have mule deer tags, then he went and bought an elk and bear tag. Probably only have space for 2 deer or an elk in coolers.
cupofjoe04
AG
Bring the HATE boys!!! Supposed to be a good cold front later this week. Outside chance at snow at higher elevations.

Got a friend from Dallas coming in, hopefully will be busting some ducks and grouse, and catching some trouts later this week.

Then I hope to be able to put a buddy from MO on a elk after that. We are contemplating hiking into the "lost world" as we call it.
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, between us we'll have 2 elk tags, 1 deer, and 1 bear. Right now we're bringing 2 RTIC 145s, 1 RTIC 110, 1 YETI 125, and a YETI 75, plus probably another RTIC 65 for food and small stuff.
shaynew1
AG
I'm headed back up the same next Thursday. I will have coolers.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
my big coolers are all an hour and a half round trip from me, and I decided this morning that I'm going to rely on walmart having 120qt coolers if we tag out

Driving Houston to Denver-ish on Friday, hoping to be back early enough Saturday to take my son to Monster Jam, anybody else have similar itineraries that we may be able to coordinate some logistics?
aggie0959
Coleman extreme 120 for 75 on amazon
harge57
AG
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xtreme-150-qt-Cooler-Green/21947771?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228016077757&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40968474392&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-78910981472&wl5=9026941&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=21947771&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw5_DsBRBPEiwAIEDRW_RVkgRH_X7y4jGHuge04p-vT5qjUpk1Ob7w4eSUlyk7u3U4rWsRtBoCbuAQAvD_BwE
stdeb11
AG
My dad and his buddy are coming up for their first elk hunt Thursday. Got the antelope butchered yesterday, new tent stove burned in, will go see Todd Snider Thursday night, and then headed out Friday and helping them for 1st rifle...

If anyone is traveling thru Denver and runs into issues just yell and I can try to help. Tools, extra cooler, freezer space, etc...
agenjake
That sounds like a great time.
mneisch
AG
I'm heading up towards Leadville next Thursday. Plan is to leave early in the morning and drive straight through. Hopefully catch a few hours of sleep at the trailhead before hiking back in.
lazuras_dc
AG
Flying out Friday to Denver then a coupe hour drive to the trailhead.

I'm all packed and weighed in.

Pack is 32lbs
Rifle 8lbs
Bino harness 1.5lbs
Food 8 lbs
Fill water when there -1L ~ 2.5lbs
mneisch
AG
Pack seems light, or at least lighter than mine. How many days are you doing?
lazuras_dc
AG
4 nights , potentially 5 -> hunting partners bringing stove. And whiskey.

I tried to cut as much weight as possible and not packing the sacks a lot of these items came with. Cutting weight like: toothbrush is just a sonicare toothbrush head with floss wrapped around it. Lighters have duct and electrical taped wrapped around them. Sunscreen is a small cube out of a sunscreen block I cut out, goldbond is in a ziplock etc.

Plan to wear to trailhead hunting baselayers , wool midlayer , vest,hunting beanie , hunting pants , boot gaiters, wool socks , hiking boots and sunglasses.

Bag is alps outdoorz extreme + and I took out all the superfluous stuff it comes with.

Going in pack:
GPS
Multi tool
Lighter
Head lamp
rain Poncho , watch, inflatable butt pad, Orange hat , orange vest , gloves, neck gaiter

Water Filter
Pen
2x Zip Tie
Paracord
Skinning Knife
Spoon
Wipes

Emergency kit in a ziplock: Blister Tx, Bandages, Israeli bandage, Bite/Sting Cream, space blanket, Vaseline and cotton, Iodine tabs, compass, nitrile gloves. Microfiber towel. Antihistamine. Pepto, Lighter w/ electrical tape, fire starter, License /Tag/Hunter Ed, 3 AAA and 2 AA batteries

Toiletries in ziplock: Toothbrush/paste/floss; Aquafor, sunscreen, gold bond, Wipes

1 Nalgene
2 Trekking poles

Harness with 10x vanguard endeavors , Range Finder and ear plugs

Night time long sleeve/long pant base layers
1pair Wool sleeping socks
Additional 1 pair wool hunting socks
Sleeping beanie
Catalyst Jacket
Puffy Jacket

Tent , fly, stakes, and footprint (rei quarter dome 2 person)
Inflatable Pillow
Bag liner
Inflatable Sleeping May
15deg marmot trestles bag

Food in dry bag
1 day ration:
2x Cliff Bar for breakfast

Snack
Fritos and almonds
cheese stick
Lara bar

Lunch
2x Tortillas with dried sausage link for lunch
2x mustard packet

Dinner
1 bag mountain House meal
Nuun tablet for drink
1 Digestive cookie
LEJ
Sounds pretty good for the trip length. Those Fritos are like food gold after a few days. Good luck man.
BradMtn346
My cousin and I are 2/2. What are you guys waiting on?

Private land cow tag good from mid-August to mid-November.
cupofjoe04
AG
Heck yeah! Congrats man. That's a sweet tag, and a whole lot of awesome meat!!!
cc_ag92
AG
We made it yesterday. If you are headed to CO today or tomorrow be careful. Last night we got 5" of snow with temps in the mid teens. Tomorrow they are calling for lows between-5 and 5. With highs around 30. Travel safely.
aggie0959
What part are you in with the snow. We are leaving Abilene now.
cc_ag92
AG
We are near Meeker.
Fairview
AG
Snow should be a one day event for most of Colorado today but it's going to get really cold tonight for October and then shoots back up to normal pretty quickly this weekend and after.
Apache
AG
Bull down!! My first... pics & story to follow.
AgEng06
AG
Apache said:

BrazosBQ
BrazosBQ
AG
Looks like our unit got around 6" last night. I imagine that's not enough to really move animals down out of the high country, even with the cold temps.
mneisch
AG
Hasn't changed our plans, we still plan on hunting high. It will be warming back up it appears so the snow might not actually hold. Others will more experience might be able to chime in.
Fairview
AG
BrazosBQ said:

Looks like Vail got around 6" last night. I imagine that's not enough to really move animals down out of the high country, even with the cold temps.

I live right by Vail and can tell you I haven't seen the elk herds move down yet. The Mulies have for sure but not the elk.
shaynew1
AG
Apache said:

BullSprig07
AG
Flew into Denver this morning and they were about to ground all flights right after we landed due to condition. Almost to grand junction now and it's sunny and 44.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.