Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,549 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
shaynew1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NM pure lottery is responsible for so much excitement this time of year tho!
arrow
AG
I'm glad there's a state close by that is pure lottery.

I do wish all the state's had a quicker turn around on draw results.
BigPuma
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I still don't understand why NM can't incorporate some sort of a point system. X% to residents, X% to points, and X% to pure lottery. They could adjust the odds or create new categories to continue to incentivize people applying with resident guides (which I think is very smart). It just drives me a little crazy for it all to be a PURE lottery. My Dad and I drew the Gila tag our first year as a party... and may never draw it again. I know people that have gotten that tag 3 out of 4 years, and guys who haven't hit in 8-10 years.

I do like how progressive their landowner tag system is for deer. And am glad they finally got rid of the A-plus system for landowners for Pronghorn and Elk this year. Now, landowners can just apply for however many tags they want- and they are incentivized to work with the state and better manage their heard. Has been working well for deer for a long time, and it's great landowners can take control of all their species now.
Bonus point systems do little to change the overall odds once you are at or near max points. Squaring points is even dumber as the odds don't change all that much for those that are at or near max and are way worse for those that are just getting started. [/newberg rant]
LEJ
Has anyone here ever seen or used a Kifaru Sawtooth?
LEJ
https://www.backcountryhunters.org/nmdgf_overhauls_antelope_tag_system

Also, here's an interesting article regarding the antelope program changes which Joe spoke of, as well as elk tag distribution controversy that has been raging for a while now in New Mex
cupofjoe04
AG
BigPuma said:

cupofjoe04 said:

I still don't understand why NM can't incorporate some sort of a point system. X% to residents, X% to points, and X% to pure lottery. They could adjust the odds or create new categories to continue to incentivize people applying with resident guides (which I think is very smart). It just drives me a little crazy for it all to be a PURE lottery. My Dad and I drew the Gila tag our first year as a party... and may never draw it again. I know people that have gotten that tag 3 out of 4 years, and guys who haven't hit in 8-10 years.

I do like how progressive their landowner tag system is for deer. And am glad they finally got rid of the A-plus system for landowners for Pronghorn and Elk this year. Now, landowners can just apply for however many tags they want- and they are incentivized to work with the state and better manage their heard. Has been working well for deer for a long time, and it's great landowners can take control of all their species now.
Bonus point systems do little to change the overall odds once you are at or near max points. Squaring points is even dumber as the odds don't change all that much for those that are at or near max and are way worse for those that are just getting started. [/newberg rant]

Great points. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for sharing
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/nmdgf_overhauls_antelope_tag_system

Also, here's an interesting article regarding the antelope program changes which Joe spoke of, as well as elk tag distribution controversy that has been raging for a while now in New Mex

Good read
shaynew1
AG
This morning I had a missed call from a NM number. Had my hands full and couldn't answer. Excitedly, I called them back expecting personal congrats for batting a thousand at 2019 tag drawings, only to find out that number is no number.

The robot calls got me good today and I ain't happy.
AgEng06
AG
Do they actually call when you get drawn? Or were you just gonna get an extra special congrats?
shaynew1
AG
Extra special.
AgEng06
AG
Got my CO small game license in the mail the other day. I've never actually given consideration to hunting small game while elk hunting, but might give it a shot this year. What kind of game can I expect to see and what's the best way to integrate hunting them into an elk/muley hunt?
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Got my CO small game license in the mail the other day. I've never actually given consideration to hunting small game while elk hunting, but might give it a shot this year. What kind of game can I expect to see and what's the best way to integrate hunting them into an elk/muley hunt?

Where will you be hunting, & what kind of hunting? That can make a tremendous difference.

Mostly- grouse if you are high enough. Always squirrel and rabbit and such, if you are into that. If now hunting, bring some small game tips and get after it. If rifle- bring a .22 pistol. Grouse will often stand around and watch you as you shoot them.
shaynew1
AG
Checked the mail this evening and got mine.

But I had forgotten about that change this yr and saw the green tag paper so my mind automatically went to NM and I was like HELL TO THE YES COME TO DADDY.

Only to be disappointed. Again. Gotdangit.
shaynew1
AG
Three years ago I wasn't quick enough on the draw o a giant snowshoe hair. We had grouse that trip but I'll always regret not eating that rabbit. He was the size of a basketball.
stdeb11
AG
Grouse during archery elk. Get a dedicated broadhead for em. When backpack hunting nothing ing better than a grouse for a meal.

Rifle season is probably grouse, rabbits, or squirrels. A bit tougher to integrate whole carrying a bigger rifle. Although we generally just pack a 22 for camp.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks guys. I guess I could have added more detail... I'm looking at SW CO during 2nd rifle.
stdeb11
AG
Should be OK. A bit tougher finding grouse then but do see a fair amount of rabbits. If you find grouse on one day, can go back the following and usually find them again. They tend not to travel far unless a big weather event.... If you want to--pack a 22 or shotgun for fun if you happen to tag out early.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Thanks guys. I guess I could have added more detail... I'm looking at SW CO during 2nd rifle.
Yeah, a .22 would be the ticket. Something like a .22 revolver would be good.

If you are elk hunting, I sure wouldn't want to be shooting with a cap gun until you are done, or dang certain there are no elk anywhere near. Those suckers aren't exactly tolerant of noise & intrusions.

If packing horses in, a camp .22 is a great idea, as mentioned before.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks guys
lazuras_dc
AG
Do you guys shoot subs when hunting grouse/rabbit as not to spook the larger game ? Or generally you're shooting small game way out of the area that you'd be big game hunting in ?
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Do you guys shoot subs when hunting grouse/rabbit as not to spook the larger game ? Or generally you're shooting small game way out of the area that you'd be big game hunting in ?

I just shoot arrows when I'm popping grouse while big game hunting. Never tried subs
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

If you are elk hunting, I sure wouldn't want to be shooting with a cap gun until you are done, or dang certain there are no elk anywhere near. Those suckers aren't exactly tolerant of noise & intrusions.

Yeah this, i don't think I'd go elk hunting and shoot anything other than an elk before i tag out. I don't make a campfire until there's a critter down. Then once i do tag out I'm trying to eat as much meat as i can to make the pack out easier, adding a grouse to the dinner table is like adding a pound of meat to your carry down!
lazuras_dc
AG
Yeah if you shot your elk already though... I'd be eating some seared tenderloin. Not looking for grouse
Maverick06
AG
NM draw results are out. Let's see 'em boys!
BullSprig07
AG
A whole lot of "unsuccessful"
Maverick06
AG
#metoo
shaynew1
AG
all red.
arrow
AG
New Mexico hates me.
Log
AG
Drew archery elk in the Pecos and rifle deer in Unit 37.
aggie_2010
AG
Drew NM mule deer in unit 31.
shaynew1
AG
congrats sumbiches.
PFG
AG
My buddy snagged a muzz elk, Unit 15, mid November.
Apache
AG
Guess I gotta get a muzzleloader now... scored an elk tag for NM Unit 45 for Oct. 5-9!

yakin ag
AG
NM Unit 51 deer first rifle, Oct 26-31
BurrOak
AG
Dang, lots of NM success here. Good luck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.