Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,557 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be chasing speedgoats next week. Hoping for 3 in 3 days.
Not sure if I qualify for regular status or not...
LEJ
Headed to Colo in less than 2 weeks for the opener. Deer tag/Elk tag
agingcowboy
AG
4th rifle puts me in last place...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgEng06
AG
Looks like you're first up!

And yes, you're definitely one of the regulars. And anyone is welcome to chime in at any time on this thread (obviously), I just used the term "regular" for the dozen or so of us that post on this thread routinely.
harge57
AG
I am headed to Montana for archery elk on 9/13.

Brothers Idaho Moose trip is shaping up for the second week in October.
shaynew1
AG
I'm leaving next week for NM antelope on my way to Colorado archery.

Fight me.
stdeb11
AG
9/4 is first hunting day for me...can't get here soon enough.

Have to post pics later, but found couple of herds elk this past weekend.
LEJ
How big an ol boy are ya? I got my fightn shoes on.
arrow
AG
Heading to Colo with a rifle bear tag and two newbies with their bows on 8/30.
Then Montana for Thanksgiving.
shaynew1
AG
LEJ said:

How big an ol boy are ya? I got my fightn shoes on.

I eat wheaties on the reg
cc_ag92
AG
I got 1st rifle elk tag in Colorado. Can't wait, just need to keep grinding on the training.
LEJ
Not to change the subject but you know what pisses me off?

Archery targets that look like a friggin iguana took a dump on top of them piss me off. They're all like this... Multiple neon splatterings of reds, greens and yellows.

You know what colors my pins are you slack jawed archery target manufacturers?

My body may be magnificent but my eyes are surrendering to father time.

I've been having a bit of an issue with target panic lately, esp at longer distances. So, I bought a cheap styrofoam target from Wally and cut the plastic cover off which was of course covered with dots and dashes and lions and tigers and bears and all kinds of stupid shish.

Boom... problem 95% solved. I realize deer and elk don't come with a bullseye but there's always a spot that can be easily distinguished or manufactured. Give me a tan target with a dark brown dot in the middle and let's call it a day.

Ready to rumble, rant over,
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, I feel you man.

You could get a 3d deer target. That would give you the right color, and some anatomy practice...
shaynew1
AG
I spray paint over that crap.

White on Black.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

I spray paint over that crap.

White on Black.

This is what I do, except just brown. Had someone tell me once- deer don't have spots, so don't get too used to shooting at spots. Made sense to me. I like mine to just be solid brown, so I can practice picking out a hair from a sea of brown and aiming at it.
Log
AG
Leaving for Pecos NM archery elk next Friday.
Blue Duck
AG
I'll be in Colorado 9/5-9/12 with an archery mule deer and a rifle bear tag in my pocket. I can't wait.
Woods Ag
AG
Any DIYers need a pack mule? I'll carry a lot of **** and stfu

What's in it for me? Learning from someone with experience so I can do it on my own later

I should have all my own gear too

Edit: I'm serious as a heart attack. I've backpacked, in good shape, and hungry to get into the backcountry again.
stdeb11
AG
Highlights from last week scouting trip..

Elk! Found several herds of cows (one big herd we found twice), a bachelor group of bulls, and surprisingly a herd of cows with a couple of bulls mixed in already.

New floorless tent has been great. Trekking pole adapter I made works really well (just a piece of 14mm carbon fiber tube to join two poles).

And finally Gus helped us find some grouse hunting spots and quite a few wallows...
cupofjoe04
AG
Way to go get after them!!!

Gonna be a good year for you
magnumtmp
AG
How did you get a yellow lab head to stay on that black lab? Superglue?
meggy09
AG
I'm late to the game but I'm in CO and got a mulie for tag for 1st rifle in 88 off the leftover list and a late season cow elk in 31.

First year with my CO residency and first time ever doing anything besides sitting in a blind for whitetail in Texas, so I'm not getting out 5+ miles and spike camping like some. Will probably stay within a couple miles of where I park and see how it goes for a first timer. Deer in 88 should be interesting trying to navigate around the Pawnee grassland.

Also kicking around getting a landowner voucher for a pronghorn doe just to hopefully put some meet in the freezer if I strike out on the big boys. But I'm cheap, so if anyone has any contacts I'd be all over a tag for up to about $300 on a rifle doe.
shaynew1
AG
Truck camping means I'm taking too much junk
cc_ag92
AG
shaynew1 said:

Truck camping means I'm taking too much junk

But on the other hand you have too much stuff, meaning it's really comfortable.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
meggy good luck! Find a deer trail in a riparian area and hang a tree stand and I bet you'll get one!
Regarding pronghorn, just get a private land tag and knock on some doors. A lot of ranchers hate them because they think they compete with cattle grazing-wise. They will probably make you promise to shoot any coyote you see as well.
shaynew1
AG
So comfortable
AgEng06
AG
Here's something to whet the appetite of you deer hunters...

https://instagr.am/p/B1egrWMpj7K

Yes, he is holding it up by a huge droptine/club.
LEJ
Comfort is for pregnant women and children. Give me misery or give me death.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Here's something to whet the appetite of you deer hunters...

https://instagr.am/p/B1egrWMpj7K

Yes, he is holding it up by a huge droptine/club.
Thats awesome! What a toad
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Gentlemen,

Anyone familiar with transporting elk meat/carcass back into TX from CO? I am about to dig through the Outdoor Annual and search around the internet but was hoping someone on here had first hand experience.

To be clear, It looks like there is a rule on transporting brains/skull due to CWD... I think the rest is just proper tagging.

Any help is appreciated!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_1410_w7000_deer_head_waiver.pdf

Quote:

No CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can enter Texas from a state or country known to have CWD, and no CWD-susceptible species carcasses or parts of carcasses can be transported out of a CWD Zone EXCEPT:

Cut quarters with all brain and spinal cord tissue removed
Boned meat/cut and wrapped Texas regulations do not allow processing beyond quarters until reaching your final destination (possessor's personal residence or commercial facility/private cold storage).
Caped hides with skull not attached
Skull plate with antlers attached and cleaned of all soft tissueFinished taxidermy products
The skinned or unskinned head of a susceptible species may be transported to a taxidermist (with a Deer Head Waiver), provided all brain material, soft tissue, spinal column and any unused portions of the head are disposed of in a landfill in Texas permitted by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). The waiver should be kept on your person or with the deer head until it reaches the taxidermist. Download the Deer Head Waiver form (PWD 1410) to transport the intact head or obtain from a TPWD CWD check station.
Hunters bringing intact deer heads into Texas from a state or country with CWD should also have this waiver.

I guess you can ignore my above post because it was really easy to access the info. Please add on if I am missing something.
LEJ
So no brain or spinal cord tissue and you're good... As in, a clean boiled head for euro mount wouldn't need any kind of paperwork.

What about current New Mexico regs/paperwork?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Thanks for sharing, never occurred to me that I'd need anything besides the tag i used for harvest.
LEJ
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/publications/rib/2019/hunting/2019_2020-New-Mexico-Hunting-Rules-and-Info.pdf

New Mexico
Page 41

The only gotcha I can see Is the part about transporting a skull cap immersed in a chlorine solution of 1 part chlorine, 2 parts water. I suppose this would apply to a freshly done euro as well.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Got some hardcore gear junkie/weight weenie tech for y'all:
Take about a 2 foot piece of weedwhacker string, cut one end sharp, and melt the other end with a lighter so it balls up. Carry that and a couple patches and you have an ultralight emergency bore cleaning kit. I think you can even get wet-wipe style individually packaged rem-oil soaked patches to toss in the ziploc with it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.