Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,577 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I also think moving 2nd and 3rd rifle back could result in more older age class deer being killed, and ultimately hurt deer quality. I hope that's just paranoia, though.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm also hearing it's only a matter of time before all OTC tags are eliminated in CO... that would suck.
AgEng06
AG
Just to whet your appetite...

Not my pic. A guy posted it on Rokslide.
LEJ
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm also hearing it's only a matter of time before all OTC tags are eliminated in CO... that would suck.

I don't see it happening cold turkey, but it's probably on the horizon for rifle tags for sure. They'll prob sell them with "caps" and or raise prices gradually before an all out elimination.
LEJ
Now I'm elk horny.
AgEng06
AG
Where's your t-shirt?
LEJ
In a big pile of broken shafts and expired tags. More tags than shafts though.
BullSprig07
AG
I mean I get it. With one breath hunters gripe about how crowded the backcountry is becoming on OTC seasons and with the next they will gripe about OTC tags being reduced.

It is what it is.

The archery deer seasons getting pushed back was what stuck out to me. Lowers chance for a velvet buck.
AgEng06
AG
This your year, brother.
shaynew1
AG
I BELIEVE
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah, apparently it came up a while back during an outfitters meeting (I'm assuming a state based organization) and they were in favor it. Outfitter we used said he would not be shocked to see it happen in the near future.
harge57
AG
AgEng06 said:

cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Man- look at all those calves. Good year for groceries
stdeb11
AG
I was really hammering the training till about a month ago and since have slacked to repaint the new house and move. But I'll be back at it here shortly... Did some hiking to backcountry ski a week ago and got my butt kicked.

Now that I have a yard I can start shooting a lot more. No more excuses for me.
shaynew1
AG
Any of you Austin area guys want to go shoot at liberty hill on the 28? Been meaning to make it out there for a long time.
CTGilley
AG
shaynew1 said:

Any of you Austin area guys want to go shoot at liberty hill on the 28? Been meaning to make it out there for a long time.
Shoot me a text when it get closer. I think I am open that day.
AgEng06
AG
Dammit! I'll be on the way back from Tahoe on the 28th.

That said, what/where is the shoot in LH?
shaynew1
AG
http://www.hillcountrybowhunters.com/3d-archery.html

Hear guys in Waco telling me about it all the time.

That said...there's one in Waco I'm going to try and make tmw morning.
LEJ
Totally unrelated but maybe kinda related...

I've had plans for a while to take my niece on a backpack fishing trip to the high country lake near my favorite hunting grounds at the end of this month.

Local intel I just got says horse riders turned around at first crossing recently and experts are guesstimating that snowmelt won't end til late August. I kinda figured this weeks ago but just didn't really want it to be true.

Man... last year everything was upside down due to fire... now we've got the same issue because of water. Starting to think about alternative hunting plans too.

Might still go and find something else to do.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AgEng06 said:

Don't worry those elk will all be hunkered down in someone's pasture by September
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Do any of y'all use Trek Poles? I'm debating on getting a set but have never really used them for more than about 300-400 ft of elevation gain (set them down in the middle of the path to go stalk some Sitka deer thinking the guy behind me was going to grab them but he didn't...). The small amount of time I used them they seemed awesome.

Any recommendations on type/brand?

TIA
cupofjoe04
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Do any of y'all use Trek Poles? I'm debating on getting a set but have never really used them for more than about 300-400 ft of elevation gain (set them down in the middle of the path to go stalk some Sitka deer thinking the guy behind me was going to grab them but he didn't...). The small amount of time I used them they seemed awesome.

Any recommendations on type/brand?

TIA

Yes, yes, and yes! It's like having 4WD, especially if you have weight on your back. You will never fully appreciate them until you are descending steep/slippery terrain with an 80lb bag. They are terribly useful for all sorts of things. Like stabilizing binos for a quick glance across the canyon, pitching a fly in a storm, staking out a gravity water bag, etc...

I didn't spend much money on mine. I can't remember the brand- but they were like $30-40 on Amazon. Came with a variety of heads and a carry bag. You definitely want ones that are adjustable, light weight, and have good handles. I personally like the cork handles on mine, but haven't tried any high end ones to see if there is a diff. I didn't like the solid rubber ones on some super cheapo's I borrowed one time.
BullSprig07
AG
The Costco/Amazon trekking poles are Cascade Mountain Tech
https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Adjustable-Trekking/dp/B07RWL292L
They kind of got popular on Rokslide for being like $30 at Costco. I've never seen them at a Costco in Houston but found them on Amazon where they are more expensive but still a good deal. I was happy with them on my elk hunt last year but have never used high end sticks for comparison. Didn't have the pleasure of packing out an elk with them but we had wicked deadfall and an unusual amount of snow for first rifle and I can't imagine not having had them.
cc_ag92
AG
Yes I have found them to be very handy in the back country. Especially when coming out with extra weigh. I have a set of Leki, check out Sierra Trading Post they usually have some really good pricing in their closeout section.
arrow
AG
I went with the Leki Micro Vario Ti Cor-Tec. (What a mouthful!). They're a Z-style folder with cork handles. I really like them. You can find them for around $100.

I also got some S&S Archery CL Backcountry trekking poles as a Black Friday gift last year. They are super light and feel sturdy. I gave them to a WW2 veteran friend of mine. He uses them every day and absolutely loves them. They're on-sale right now for $99.

shaynew1
AG
My final dilemma is deciding on vane and wrap color configuration.

I've got like 6 different ones in my quiver right now.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

My final dilemma is deciding on vane and wrap color configuration.

I've got like 6 different ones in my quiver right now.
Whatever blood cleans off of the easiest...

because you are gonna cover one this year!
shaynew1
AG
Bloodbath ffa no rush
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ditto everything Joe said. Mine stay in camp when i'm hunting, but they are indispensable when you have a heavy pack

Black Diamond does or did make a nice set of poles with a teardrop cross section? very light and stiff. I have cheapos I got from Sierra a long time ago
AgEng06
AG
Speaking of trekking poles... have you guys seen these things?

https://www.facebook.com/WiserPrecision/posts/639882986522252

BullSprig07
AG
Yes! Saw this morning on that same facebook group, will probably try and buy some but guessing there will be a backorder.
AgEng06
AG
I actually stole the pic from Rokslide. I rarely ever use Facebook.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Speaking of trekking poles... have you guys seen these things?

https://www.facebook.com/WiserPrecision/posts/639882986522252

mneisch
AG
That looks nearly ideal to another product I was looking at.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/trekballs#/
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
so let me get this straight: You're hiking along, rifle over your shoulder, trekking poles in hand, and you spot a critter. He's far enough that you want a rest but not so far that you want to find a place to get prone (also not so close that you have to drop your poles and fling a Texas Heart Shot at him after untangling your sling from your pack straps as he bounds away from the noise). You drop to a knee and lay your trekking poles down quietly, then unsling your rifle and lay it down, pick the poles back up and hook them together into bipod mode, set them into place quietly, pick your rifle back up, set it on the poles, put this very patient critter in your crosshairs, click the safety off and boom. Is that about right?

Way too many points in that scenario for noise or movement to scare the animal off. Practice shooting offhand with your sling, seated, and prone using your pack as a rest and you will be ready for 99% of shots you come across in the mountains

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.