Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,539 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll have to go find that podcast. It's a new one to me for sure, never heard of elk doing such a thing. I've certainly seen them go silent- but to go though all the motions with zero noise (from a few hundred yards away)... that was strange.

The only thing we could figure was these Lower San Juan bulls get so much pressure but still need to talk to their cows, they have learned to whisper so they don't get shot. We came to this conclusion after many times of watching hunters appear from nowhere and converge on the slightest thing which sounds like a bugle (which is usually another hunter). They do the same thing with gobbles in the spring- and I know I've seen old Tom's figure out how to just shut jup yet still work hens.
AgEng06
AG
Just made it to CO. About another 1.5 hrs to camp, then it's on! (tomorrow)
AgEng06
AG
I should add, if we can see as many elk and mule deer as we saw standing along the highway in NM around 3:00 am, we'll have a good hunt.
lazuras_dc
AG
Meat eater ep 189 -they mentioned it for a few minutes so not sure it's worh digging thru it to find it but if you're already gunna listen it it... it's not a bad one with ex navy seal rorke denver. And they just got done muzzleloader in the San Juan's.
Apache
AG
Quote:

ex navy seal rorke denver

Was a little disappointed in the episode - Rourke killed a bull but they never even talked about it to my recollection. Did I miss it? I know they talked about the bull Rinella wounded.
lazuras_dc
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

ex navy seal rorke denver

Was a little disappointed in the episode - Rourke killed a bull but they never even talked about it to my recollection. Did I miss it? I know they talked about the bull Rinella wounded.
Saving it for next season's show? who knows. I know I'm already pumped for 2020 after eating tag soup this season. Going to take my anger out with my bow on some white tail!
mneisch
AG
Mule deer down! More story to come. Been a heck of a trip so far.
cupofjoe04
AG
Just wanted to share some pics of a HUGE bull.
*I had nothing to do with this hunt. But I do believe my Dad and I found this elk last year*

I got these from an friend of mine in NM - Bull Valley Outfitters - whom I have hunted with and several OB'ers have since hunted or applied with. This a rather secret little ranch that my Dad and I have been pronghorn hunting on the last 2 years. This is where we killed the 83" & 79" 'lopes this year.

As you can tell in the pics, the topography is... flat. There are very very small "mountains", all pretty far apart. It doesn't look elky at all. But dang it, they are there. Last year, we found some really big bulls hiding in the cedar breaks on this ranch. It was amazing that such a small hill could hold elk like it did.

This year, Wes was able to talk the owner into getting a pair of private land elk tags. The early archery hunter didn't get one, nor did we see the elk on our antelope hunt (we hunted earlier this year). I'm thinking October (When we saw the elk last year) is the prime time for them. The October rifle hunter tagged this brute. This certainly wasn't a hard hunt, but a truly impressive elk no matter.

Enjoy

Fairview
AG
mneisch
AG
2 for 2 on mule deer!
AgLA06
AG
Tease
mneisch
AG
Full write-up when I get back home.
aggie0959
So excited from my elk hunt I am already planning a mule deer hunt for next year.
Does any one have experience with unit 24 New Mexico ?
cc_ag92
AG
So while we are waiting on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th season reports to come in. I am in the market for a new rifle, I currently shoot a Browning A-Bolt 06. The only problem I have with the rifle is it's heavy. I want something lighter for packing through the mountains. What are ya'll shooting for your mountain trips??
BullSprig07
AG
I picked up a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 7 mag this offseason. Didn't get to use it to send any lead through an elk but have been very happy with it at the range and toting it around the mountains. I was originally looking at Tikka for a budget minded lightweight rifle (still think that's a good way to go depending on your budget) started looking at the x-bolt and got enamored enough to go one rung up in price level. If you are the kind of person who is into DIY rifle builds and tinkering yourself then it's probably not for you but if you want most of the bells and whistles right out of the box then it's a great option.

Cerakoted
Fluted
Muzzle Break
Less than 7 pounds
Composite Stock

I got a great deal from EyeGuy on a Vortex Razor LH and I'm under 8 pounds total.
lazuras_dc
AG
Tikka t3 lite in 300wm and a 3-9x40 diamondback was pretty easy haulin' through the mountains for Rifle 1
stdeb11
AG
Tikka T3 in 7mag with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42. Not sure on weight, but its light enough for me not to mind
cc_ag92
AG
All three of those are the way I am leaning right now. I was looking at the Tikka t3 because of the upgrade ability, and the Hell's Canyon for the finished project aspect.
AgLA06
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Tikka t3 lite in 300wm and a 3-9x40 diamondback was pretty easy haulin' through the mountains for Rifle 1

This with a nice scope from Eyeguy. Much lighter, more accurate, and less expensive than the X-bolt I was hauling around. Looked at the Hells Canyons, but they were much more expensive and heavier.

Couldn't be happier.
AgLA06
AG
Get the lite version to save a little more weight for a scope and muzzle break.
stdeb11
AG
Heading up for 2nd rifle deer early tomorrow morning. Weather here changed about 2pm with the incoming snow and it's got me more amped up than a rutting buck...About to start pissing down my leg in my cube if I don't get outta here soon.
mneisch
AG

As promised, below is trip report for my 2019 Colorado mule deer hunt. There were some real highs and lows, but ultimately we walked away filling both of our tags on our first DIY public land hunt. The least we hiked in a single day was 5 miles, the most over 10. We worked for these deer.

Thursday: Leave Houston at 4:30AM for our hunt area. We drive straight through, nothing too exciting along the way. We arrive at the trailhead in Colorado around 11:30PM. It's cold, about 20-25 degrees. We quickly put up a tent, throw the pads and sleeping bags in there and try to get some rest before hiking back into the wilderness area we intend to hunt. At some point during the night we start to hear snow slowly falling on the tent.

Friday: We wake up around sunrise to 2-3 inches of snow on the ground. Neither of us slept great, but we begin to pack things up and prepare for the hike. Slowed down a little bit because we realize that the foot of both of our bags got wet from condensation during the night. We dry them out using the truck foot dryer before heading out. Another group is also camped at the trailhead in a nice canvas tent with a wood burning stove. After chatting with them we learn they have been hunting the area for the last 10 years and usually have decent success for elk and mule deer, hiking back in during the day and hunting the meadows. They wish us luck as we set out. It snows the entire hike, and we make it back to the area we want to hunt in just a few hours. We get started on setting up camp and try to warm up with a campfire, sitting there for a few hours hoping for the snow to stop so we can do some scouting. Ultimately the snow stops around 4, and we head to a nearby mountaintop to check out the terrain. At this point there is 6-10 inches of snow on the ground. Neither of us are in great spirits as we realize how much harder the hunt will be given the weather. Scouting doesn't turn up anything and we head to camp for a freeze dried meal and sleep. I take an Advil PM and tuck in for the night while my hunting partner does the same. At some point during the night he stands outside my tent, letting me know somehow he woke up to a wet sleeping bag and is absolutely freezing. While he has a 30 degree bag in the truck to use while drying his main one out, I have nothing but what is with me in camp. He needs to warm up ASAP and doesn't have time for me to wait to put stuff together to head out with him. We ultimately decide that the best path forward is for him to head to the truck alone, warm up there and dry out his bag and we will meet in the morning. Hunting partner makes is safely back to the truck after a long hike, and shivers and suffers with near hypothermia while I am back at camp, also struggling bad with the cold. He also begins to suffer from symptoms of altitude sickness including vomiting and muscle aches.

Saturday: Before daylight my hunting partner hikes back in to camp. We evaluate the situation together and ultimately decide we have to go down in elevation (camped at 10,500) so he can recover and we can both get out of the cold. At this point we are both at a real low and build another campfire to boost morale and prepare to slog it back to the truck. The hike is miserable but we don't start for fear of not being able to start back up again. The realization that we probably won't even be able to hunt sets in. We head to the nearest town, about 4,000 feet lower and grab some tacos (probably the best meal I have ever eaten) and book a hotel for the night. We check into the hotel, take a nice long warm shower and begin to see what our options might be. My hunting partner reassures me he is feeling a bit better and we decide to head to nearby public land just to scope it out. We aren't familiar with the area at all and hope to salvage at least the opportunity to hunt. I convince him to bring our guns, just in case something does pop out. The hike back isn't bad and we post up on a hillside to glass a nice meadow and the surrounding areas. An hour or so in I spot a buck around 1,000 yards out and start to make a move as the sun is setting fast. While stalking, I hear two shots nearby and hope for the best. I am ultimately only able to get around 290 yards away before he beds down behind a tree and disappears. A bit dejected, I get a text from my buddy that he got one! It takes a while for us to meet up and head in the direction of where his buck was. After 20 minutes or so of looking, we find the 4x2 buck dropped right where he was standing. Turns out while I was stalking, this one walked out with a herd of does about 600 yards away. He managed to get to 300 yards to take the shot. We butcher the deer by headlamp and hoof it back to the truck, completely forgetting the miserable experience from the previous night and earlier that morning.

Sunday: The morning is cold, 18 at the truck when we head out to hunt. It has snowed about 2 inches over night and continues on throughout nearly the entire day. We set up on the same hill as the previous afternoon. It isn't long before 3 bucks appear, two spikes and a 2x2. I ultimately decide to make a move on them and narrow the gap down from 800 yards to 200. Before I can get the 2x2 in the scope all 3 go over the ridgeline and disappear. On my way back to the glassing spot I notice 3 different bucks and a doe moving to the southeast across a field. Two of them are nice 4x4s and again I attempt to narrow the distance on deer going the other direction from me. I am able to get within 400 yards, the maximum I have shot my rifle out to and know the drop on. At this point the wind is howling and I don't feel comfortable with a shot at that range. While I work to get even closer, they again drop over a ridge and disappear for good. My hunting partner and I are frozen stiff and decide to go into town for some food. The evening is relatively quiet, with only a very young 2x2 spotted. He stays in the same stand of grass and feeds for 3-4 hours while we watch him.

Monday: We set up on a smaller hill closer to the meadow where most of the movement has been over the 2 previous days. A group of 4 does is a quick reward after sunrise but no bucks are with them. We decide to cover more ground that day, and ultimately hike 7.5 miles with intermittent glassing at good vantage points we come across. At one point we come across 2 bucks just 100 yards out but the burned juniper is just too thick and they disappear before offering an opportunity. These are the only bucks we will see that day.

Tuesday: We head back to watch a hillside that we traversed the day before that was absolutely loaded with deer sign. After around 2 hours or so the cold and lack of deer overcomes us and we set out to a vantage point over 2 irrigated fields. Almost immediately after arriving I notice a nice herd of deer crossing the farthest field. I throw up the binoculars just long enough to determine that there is a nice and tall buck in the group and make a move to get closer. I am again able to get 400 yards but they are quickly beginning to push back off the field into the brush. The wind is almost non-existent so I make a hasty decision to take the shot from a seated position, using my knee for support and targeting the largest buck in the group. The deer don't seem to respond at all and naturally move out of the field. Feeling pretty unconfident about the shot, I head to where they were to look for any sign of a hit. I look for about 20-30 minutes without observing anything. Walking back into the field, I quickly notice that 4 of the bucks have moved back around to my left and are traversing the far north side of the same field. I quickly range them at 150 and use a rock to steady myself for a shot on the largest one. The first shot is good and I can see him hunch up his back legs. Before he can move again, I fire another round. Unfortunately for me, my magazine only holds 3 rounds and I didn't put an extra into the chamber so my rifle is now totally empty. I can tell the buck is hit but he isn't going down. I try my best to get my hunting partner on the phone to tell him to get down to where I am, but between his haste and the poor service he thinks I said bring everything when I really said leave everything and bring me ammo. It takes him what seems like an eternity to get to me, loaded like a pack mule with both of our packs and tripods. The other 3 bucks have now moved on, and I've watched mine as he alternates between standing still panting heavily and slowly slinking around. I'm able to grab one more round out of my newly acquired pack and put it into the still standing buck through a small gap in the burned out trees he has moved into. At this, I can no longer see him and know he has finally gone down. This buck isn't the biggest, but he is a great reward to my first DIY public land hunt.

Some beautiful sunsets.

Best mid-afternoon pick me up.

178 gr ELD-X did it's job. One of the rounds recovered under the hide on the opposite side. I'm impressed with the weight retention and overall expansion. This is my first time using this round on game.

Most useful gear:
1. Gore-Tex gaiters. Absolutely indispensable with all the snow.
2. Trekking poles. Helped so much when the packs were loaded down and really saved my knees.

Things to change next year:
1. Glassing mittens. I used my best windproof Outdoor Research gloves but my hands still froze while sitting.
2. Warmer boots. My 400g Primaloft boots were unsuccessful in keeping out the cold.
3. More ramen! We didn't think do this as a snack until the 3rd day and boy did we regret not starting earlier. The extra weight of the Jet Boil was more than worth it.
4. Nicer binos. I now understand why people spend $1k+ when you are sitting behind them for hours on end.
AgLA06
AG
Great write up. Now that you think you've got it figured out weather conditions and deer movement will be completely different every year you go back.

Part of the joys of western hunting. Always a new challenge. And you'll go back every chance you get because it's more addicting than crack.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgLA06 said:

Now that you think you've got it figured out weather conditions and deer movement will be completely different every year you go back.

This. SO MUCH this.
cupofjoe04
AG
Excellent report- Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the hunt! You guys earned them
BullSprig07
AG
Awesome write up thanks for sharing. Having back up plans and being prepared to change things up is one of the most important things I've learned the last couple years out west. Of course it hasn't resulted in a bull yet, but still Also way to stick it out when $*** got hairy the first couple days, really cool that it paid off for you.
mneisch
AG
I went elk hunting up in Colorado 3 years ago but it was on private land that family friends have hunted for years. This was so much more rewarding figuring it out myself. I'm already a bit depressed it will be a full year before I go back.
Log
AG
Quote:

While he has a 30 degree bag in the truck to use while drying his main one out, I have nothing but what is with me in camp.

Good job!

Also, 2 is 1, 1 is none. Always take double on the vital items that will ruin your hunt if they crap out, even if you are just leaving them in the truck. I always take two sleeping bags, tents, pairs of boots, binos, bows/rifles. Probably a few other things I'm forgetting as well.
AggieJames09
AG
OTC Colorado 2nd Rifle DIY Bull Down. Swipe on Instagram below for pics. I was able to get my first elk down and couldn't be happier. SW Colorado

https://instagr.am/p/B4CuDdLFTRu
Red Fishing Ag93
aggie0959
What tent and sleeping system were y'all?
mneisch
AG
I had a:
Hyke and Byke Zion 2P tent
Klymit KSB 20 down bag
Sea to Summit Extreme bag liner
Klymit Insulated Static V Lite pad

That might have been good in mid 20's, but we were pushing low teens. Admittedly we were a bit surprised and ultimately unprepared for the shift in weather in the backcountry. Live and learn.
harge57
AG
My dad used a klymit KSB and it seemed to run a bit cooler than the other bags we have used.
stdeb11
AG
Congrats to both of y'all! Looks like some great hunts.

And the weather was pretty brutal for 2nd rifle. I learned my lesson and should have bought chains for the truck. Would have made life easier. Luckily my buddy was smarter and bought some.
harge57
AG
stdeb11 said:

Congrats to both of y'all! Looks like some great hunts.

And the weather was pretty brutal for 2nd rifle. I learned my lesson and should have bought chains for the truck. Would have made life easier. Luckily my buddy was smarter and bought some.
Speaking of. I have an extra set of chains in my garage in Dallas if anyone is heading out for a late season hunt and would like to borrow them.

I think my tires are 275/60/20. But they should fit a large range of tires.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.