Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,551 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
shaynew1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shot a pile of them and ordered a Hoyt helix ultra. Stark difference from the centergy hybrid I've been shooting. We'll see how it suits me long term.
Aggie Hunter
AG
How many points did you have and what unit? I was unsuccessful with 3 points. Congrats
AgEng06
AG
Nice. Congrats!
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Shot a pile of them and ordered a Hoyt helix ultra. Stark difference from the centergy hybrid I've been shooting. We'll see how it suits me long term.

Ugh- I've been fawning over the Helix's. Trying to avoid the local shop so I don't order one. Congrats
44mAG
AG
dradkins said:

How many points did you have and what unit? I was unsuccessful with 3 points. Congrats
General area. 1 point but I put in for the special license.
arrow
AG
Congrats!
I was unsuccessful for a tag I had a 0.24% chance to draw. Go figure...
44mAG
AG
Wow looks like I got really lucky to draw. Last year my situation had a 98% chance to draw my tag. That same situation went down to 17% percent this year! But I got lucky and was included in the 17%.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I think drawing in Wyoming will start getting easier for the fact they make you put up the money in advance.
agingcowboy
AG
dradkins said:

I think drawing in Wyoming will start getting easier for the fact they make you put up the money in advance.

I hope so. I was again...UNSUCCESSFUL...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shaynew1
AG
Its ok this is the year we all draw our gila tag and have a big texags party in NM
agingcowboy
AG
agingcowboy said:

dradkins said:

I hope so. I was again...UNSUCCESSFUL...

Dang, I just found out I won't be getting a 1911 from the CMP either (at least not the first batch). Not my day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Its ok this is the year we all draw our gila tag and have a big texags party in NM

I'm down with that! Drew that tag 2 years ago and it was amazing hunt. Struck out last year, hoping for this year.
lazuras_dc
AG
Not sure if this has been covered... but it appears Colorado is doing some weird thing where you have to get a small game or turkey license in order to get a big game tag/pref point???
Apache
AG
Quote:

Quote:

shaynew1 said:

I'm down with that! Drew that tag 2 years ago and it was amazing hunt. Struck out last year, hoping for this year.
Hopefully I'll be in the Gila as well. I'm trying it muzzleloader as my first choice with Bull Valley.
Draw results come out the end of this month, right?
lazuras_dc
AG
Bull Valley is on my bucket list to hunt with. Maybe archery 2021!
BigPuma
AG
shaynew1 said:

I am down with this
cupofjoe04
AG
Apache said:

Hopefully I'll be in the Gila as well. I'm trying it muzzleloader as my first choice with Bull Valley.
Draw results come out the end of this month, right?

Im pretty sure it was April the last couple years. Hard to remember, I could be wrong. I'm not sure with all of the changes they made. Sure hope you draw!

I'll definitly be taking my Dad, and hopefully Bro-in-law, andtelope hunting with Bull Valley again this year. Not holding my breath for the elk tag. I hit the lottery and got a Gila bull 2 years ago, so my luck is probably dry for a while.

I'm really hoping to draw a ewe sheep tag here in Pagosa this year. That was an amazing hunt when I took a guy up who drew 2 years ago, and I can't wait to try it for myself. Also trying for that muzzloader mule deer tag- with the snow this year, I can feel those high timber monsters calling my name! (Probably just mocking me...)
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Bull Valley is on my bucket list to hunt with. Maybe archery 2021!

Won't dissapoint when you finally draw!
LEJ
Joe,

Do you know anything about Fireside Cabins east of town or something similar?
hutch2882
AG
agningcowboy - I may have missed the boat, but if you could send me info on that ranch i'm interested. My group is looking at southern colorado this year.

Thanks!
BigPuma
AG
Anyone applying in Utah?
BullSprig07
AG
points for general deer in utah and some prayer applications on sheep/goat/elk that I know I wont' draw. Only second year applying there.
agingcowboy
AG
BigPuma said:

Anyone applying in Utah?

I wasn't feeling up to Utah this year so I went points only. Puts me at 7 I believe.
44mAG
AG
What are the costs associated with buying points in Utah? I believe when I was doing my original research a few years back, you had to pay for the license, and didn't get a refund. Is that still the case? Are we talking $100s of dollars to get points?
agingcowboy
AG
The license is $65. Preference points are $10/species. That's not refundable, but if you buy your license and points late the first year and early the next year you can do it under the same year-long license. So then you're getting 2 years of points under one license fee.
44mAG
AG
agingcowboy said:

The license is $65. Preference points are $10/species. That's not refundable, but if you buy your license and points late the first year and early the next year you can do it under the same year-long license. So then you're getting 2 years of points under one license fee.
Thank you. I remember about the two for one deal now. I remembered that I had everything in my cart to get points, but decided against it since I am doing the same for Wyoming, Colorado, and Montana.
aggie0959
Where do you find the hunt codes for Colorado? Can you just purchase points?
lazuras_dc
AG
https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

For pref point only
E P 999 99 P for elk
D P 999 99 P for mule deer
BigPuma
AG
But at least with Utah you don't have to front the entire tag cost + cc fess like you do in Wyoming.
44mAG
AG
BigPuma said:

But at least with Utah you don't have to front the entire tag cost + cc fess like you do in Wyoming.

Not if you buy points during the summer period. Just straight fees.

My western hunting planning is probably different than most. My plan is to build points, until the best timing presents itself financially and with my schedule. I am hoping to go on some sort of western hunt every 3 years or so. I won't apply for a hunt until I either have an outfitter booked and have close to 100% odds, or I need to in order to keep my points. If something doesn't work out, I can always do OTC in Colorado, or go somewhere that has private land owner tags.
BullSprig07
AG
If you're doing multiple species Utah is actually one of the better deals even with the non-refundable license. If you do points only in Wyoming for deer and elk that's $93. In Utah it's the $65 license plus $10 per species so only $85, plus as stated you only really need to buy the license every other year.

The problem with Utah is actually drawing a tag, so I'm not sure why I'm publishing this on a public forum and potentially making the odds worse.
aggie0959
thanks
LEJ
Water Turkey07 said:

The problem with Utah is actually drawing a tag, so I'm not sure why I'm publishing this on a public forum and potentially making the odds worse.

The genie squirmed out of the bottle shortly after algore invented the internet.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Building up points in Utah! Thanks for the help and guidance on this thread!
BradMtn346
When putting in for Utah, always apply for something. They draw some tags in the highest sought after units, randomly. A buddy was "building points" and drew the random non-resident Henry Mountains archery tag. This was the result.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.