Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,556 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome! Congratulations
El Chupacabra
Anyone else coming to MT?
harge57
AG
Looks like it may be difficult to get to. Hopefully no one was out in the back country this weekend.
El Chupacabra
Yep, this storm probably altered the plans for a lot of people planning to come up.
cupofjoe04
AG
Got a ridge with some line of sight cell, so I thought ide update you guys.

Hiked in 6.5 miles last night and found a place to overnight. Finished the other 3 miles this am in the dark.

After setting up and refueling, I drug myself up the ridge to glass my target bowl- and there is a freaking elk camp in there. They are tearing down today, but the damage is done. Spent the whole am scaling ridges and saddles, don't see any sheep anywhere. No tracks or scat either.

I'm going to push further east and check some new territory to me. My worry is I'm quickly going to get far enough away where I should move camp further in. My problem is time, and I'm getting seriously concerned about knocking one down so far back I can't get it out. I have a hard deadline to be out. It's a numbers game now. That's assuming I can find a band of ewes somewhere in here.

Things are different this year for sure. Not sure if it was the hard winter or what. Still snow up here in places from last year... Thankfully, the storms seemed to have passed last night. Hoping for a calmer evening tonight.
AgEng06
AG
That's a bummer, man. Hopefully things will come together for you in the time you have left. Keep grinding!
cc_ag92
AG
Hang in there and GRIND!!
LEJ

Bad breaks, bad blood and broken dreams.

But, there's only 365 more days till next year's elk season so I guess I gotta toughen up.
AgEng06
AG
Bummer man, but at least you got a muley out of the deal.
aggie0959
Been thinking about the transportation of boned elk meat through Texas. The annual does not talk about elk because it is not viewed as wild game but an exotic. So why does the rule of quarter/non deboned apply to elk. the annual only talk about deer and pronghorn?
Log
AG
Because it is a cervid that is known to carry CWD.
aggie0959
Yes but the quartered bones does not contain spinal material. It is a processing definition not a cwd definition?
AgEng06
AG
Yes, I assume it's because of the processing condition.
aggie0959
We found a loop hole because I am hunting private land. We just need a letter from the land owner stating that we followed all rules. I still wonder why elk fall under pronghorn and deer if they are considered exotic in Texas. Does axis fall under the transportation rules?

AgLA06
AG
Log said:

Because it is a cervid that is known to carry CWD.

Which would be a better reason only to have deboned meat. Being neighbors with New Mexico and Colorado it doesn't make sense to write conflicting requirements.
cupofjoe04
AG
Mission Report: Ewe Sheep Hunt 2019

TLDR: I fought the mountain, and it royally kicked my butt. No sheep to show for it. Trip was still a success. God is good, and I am a lucky man. I've got a couple years to regroup as I build points to try again.

Full Report:
This was trip #2. Trip #1 (you may recall) ended on the way up as a horse went nuclear and tried to take me down with it. I limped down with a busted knee and an almost dead horse (who is perfectly fine now... of course).

Attempt #2- going up solo, no horses or help. Hiked 6.5 miles after work on Sunday. Pack was way too heavy, legs were prepared for a horse hunt not packing in solo. I need better prep and lighter gear. I wrapped my knee and it held up, but required soaking in several streams I crossed to keep swelling manageable. I set up a quick cold camp and got a few hours sleep in the rain.

Monday: got up super early and finished the other 3 miles. Set up camp, and then made the final butt kicking ascent up the unforgiving rocks to glass my target bowl. I was disheartened to see an elk camp set up right in the freaking middle of the bowl, in a meadow they should have been hunting. They are packing up, but the damage is done. No trace of an animal in sight.
I hike several more miles that day, checking the neighboring bowls, drainages, and escape terrain- to no avail. I hike back to camp to regroup and refuel.

Tuesday: I know this will be a miserable hike. I get up a extra early and make a hot breakfast, and get my mind right for the day. 2 miles to the saddle, up and over, then a couple more miles around the rim to get to the next bowl. Sit down and spend a long time picking the rocks apart- nada. I hike over to another bowl, nada. I'm basically between 10,500-11,750 most of the day. Crested over 12 twice. I found snow from last winter in several places. We are only a few weeks (maybe less) away from new snow. It strikes me just how far up I have come.

I finally decide to scramble up a peak so I can see the most country possible. I spot some sheep, or at least tiny moving brown dots that should be sheep and not deer. They are so freaking far away, I'm not entirely sure they are in my unit (sheep units are different than elk/deer, and my area has 2 units that are fairly skinny at one point). I start adding up the miles to the sheep, back to camp, and then several trips up/down to get sheep & camp out. I don't even know if these are ewes or a band of rams- they are so far back in an area they are likely to be rams. No way to know without covering the miles. But I am sure that the Game Warden would not look kindly on me harvesting a ram on my ewe tag.

I know what needs to be done- but sadly, there isn't the time. Too many miles, too many trips, not enough legs. Maybe with a buddy I would have a shot at getting it all down safely and ethically. But not solo. I am forced to face harsh reality and make the "business decision" I hate. I head back to camp, cursing the horse who ruined the 5 consecutive days that I had previously blocked out for this hunt.

I find a consolation grouse on the way back down, and while cooking it I get my heart straightened out. I'm a lucky lucky lucky man just to even be up here, let alone have a tag to chase a Rocky Mountain sheep. God grants me a fantastic sunset and great weather for the evening. I am thankful and blessed. My legs are absolute jello, but my heart is light. I slept well that night (which is rare for me in the woods).

Wednesday I wake up and hike back up the rocky ridge one last time, and spend 3 hours glassing the bowl just incase a stupid sheep happens to wander close by. No such luck. My deadline to exit is here. I return to camp, take a power nap, break camp, then pack it all back down.

For as long as anyone can remember, that bowl has ALWAYS held tons of ewes & lambs. They simply aren't there this year. Either it was a harsh winter and die off, or they got pushed out (my best guess). They will be back in there soon enough- it is too much perfect (and unique) terrain for them not to be. I sense many scouting trips are in my future.

I'll lick my wounds, save points for a few years, hopefully get the scratch together to invest in some lighter gear, and do it better. Anyone want to tag along next time?!?! Maybe we can find my legs wherever they fell off up there...
lazuras_dc
AG
Bummer! But you're correct about being lucky. And...What doesn't kill us .... right?

It will make the ram you kill next time all the sweeter.
cc_ag92
AG
That's a bummer for sure. Way to keep your chin up!!
LEJ

Keep at it Joe. I've started taking post hunt notes so I can review and remind myself of basic but important details throughout the year.

Turn up your speakers... and wait for it.
AgEng06
AG
If that don't get your blood pumping you might be dead... Man that was awesome.
agingcowboy
AG
That's an awesome video!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
lazuras_dc
AG
1 week away from Rifle 1 opener- Colorado
Pumped!
mneisch
AG
Do y'all hang your food in Colorado? I'm guessing rodents will be more of an issue than bears.
AgLA06
AG
Yes.
cupofjoe04
AG
mneisch said:

Do y'all hang your food in Colorado? I'm guessing rodents will be more of an issue than bears.
Yes, always. If I cook, the clothes I cook in usually go in the hanging bag as well. Keep a super clean camp. You cannot be vigilant enough.

For me, bears are much more of a concern than rodents. Exponentially so. Hang during the day too- I've heard of a few camps that got raided during archery while they were out hunting. And I know 3 people who lost part or whole of their animal to bears just this year.
cupofjoe04
AG
I saw that video on FB the other day. Amazing... like they were doing it just for the camera!
mneisch
AG
Good advice, thanks. My sister hiked the entire Colorado trail and never had issues with bears, so I wasn't sure what other hunters experience was.
agingcowboy
AG
I always agree with taking appropriate precautions when in bear country and do these things myself. On the other hand, I think its funny sometimes...Guys that want to hunt bears haul hundreds of pounds of stale donuts, caramel popcorn, expired candy and gallons of syrup out to bait sites in hopes of seeing a bear, but no guarantees. Then some hiker gets dragged out of his tent by his head because he left a granola bar wrapper on the floor of his tent?!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cupofjoe04
AG
mneisch said:

Good advice, thanks. My sister hiked the entire Colorado trail and never had issues with bears, so I wasn't sure what other hunters experience was.

I would say that is the majority of experiences- especially with people hiking and staying above tree line. Not that bears aren't there, but you are less likely to encounter a bear there than you are in a campground. The danger still exists. I wear my seatbelt every day, though I may go my whole life without an accident.

And, a large reason why we should go to great lengths is because even a minor conditioning contact with a bear leads to problems for other people down the line.
The bear that drags someone out of a tent over a tiny scrap of granola wrapper- that isn't the first time he has found food in a human camp. He has been conditioned in some way.

Just my .02
lazuras_dc
AG
Remi Warren has said in a podcast before that most people start out taking all the precautions and never see bears so they get lax then have an encounter... and people think it's bad luck but really it was those precautions in the first place that kept the bears away.
cupofjoe04
AG
I could see a lot of truth in that.
stdeb11
AG
Sorry I haven't posted an update in a while. Between hunting trips, work, and home (aka trying to make sure my wife doesn't divorce me for hunting so much), I haven't had much time. Here's some quick recaps.

Mid season elk trip: awesome 3 day weekend hunt. Found elk Friday morning screaming and chased them. Kept bumping his cows and never could make a shot happen. Friday evening, similar situation except almost had a shot at the bull and at a satellite. Saturday evening got right back into them but never saw them. Had to have been within 50yds and in hindsight we screwed up our calling strategy. All of this was in thick timber so making a clear shot happen was rough. Overall, the best elk hunting weekend I've ever had.

End of the season elk trip: Elk seemed to quit talking as much. Found some elk a couple times, but nothing too terribly happened except for the last day. Went way in and found a real nice 6x6. Got him into 40yds but he pinned me down. Only had a real hard quartering to/frontal with a tree covering everything other than his front shoulder. Came to full draw twice debating the shot and once when he briefly appeared to turn. Just never got a shot angle I felt comfortable taking. And that's how the season ended. Overall had a fun season, passed on a cow, mixed it up with some bulls, hammered some grouse, hiked a lot of miles, and camped in some pretty country.

Antelope this past weekend: Only had a doe tag so of course had bucks within 250 yds 3 times Saturday morning. One the way back to truck for lunch I spotted a doe and a buck about 800yds away. Closed the distance to about 350 and belly crawled to the top of a hill to see where to go next. Couldn't get any closer without them seeing me so ranged it at 320yds and settled in for a shot. It was the furthest shot I've ever taken at an actual animal, but bullet went right where I aimed and she ran 40yds and dropped. Was easy to find as the buck stood over the top of her till I got to within 60yds. Was a nice 2mi pack out to the truck and my father in law had hot dogs on the grill and cold drinks ready.

agenjake
Man, it looks like my antelope doe trip is cancelled. Family duties that take precedence. We're hoping to do a fishing trip on the Platte in the spring though.

So here's to 2020...
cc_ag92
AG
The long wait is over. We are leaving tonight from Dallas headed to Colorado. Can not wait to get this party started. Good luck to all who have 1st rifle tags, and be safe!!
Maverick06
AG
We leave a week from tomorrow for second rifle chasing muleys. Keep us updated.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.