Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,561 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in for sheep in New Mexico. My elk choices top out at about 21% chance to draw. I should draw the Montana combo. I still plan hunting early in Colorado this year for my younger brother's first western hunt. If I draw New Mexico, the Montana tag may have to be returned. What a great problem that would be...
LEJ
Elk app is in. 4.6% , 16% , and 27% chances for archery rut hunt and mid to late Oct Rifle hunts, respectively.

It's dawned on me that I've sorta become the GiddingsAg of Western hunting and I'm not ok with that. Sorry bro.

Now to decide if I'm done or apply for these other species that I really don't have a strong desire for one way or another... and then hit the bleachers.

shaynew1
AG
apply!
LEJ
Antelope 4.4% , 12% , 17%

Stupid Antelope
Log
AG
LEJ said:

Antelope 4.4% , 12% , 17%

Stupid Antelope

Antelope is always stupid for NR's in NM. I drew an archery tag in 1999, having no clue what I was doing, and have had no luck in the draw since. Got close to one at least, west of Socorro.

The one thing I've always been confused about is that they have an insane amount of antelope, and give out so few tags. I figured they'd up the number this year when they stopped being dumbasses and opened up public lands for rifle.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I am about to get guidance from my guide but I figure I can poll the CO folks on here for help (Brad - didn't want to text you this late)...

If I am hunting an OTC archery unit (Private land) but would also like to apply for a mule deer preference point and an elk preference point up near steamboat (totally different area), do I need to purchase the license and apply for points now? Will this impact my OTC tag later?

Thanks in advance to all of the folks on here helping out us neophytes!
cupofjoe04
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I am about to get guidance from my guide but I figure I can poll the CO folks on here for help (Brad - didn't want to text you this late)...

If I am hunting an OTC archery unit (Private land) but would also like to apply for a mule deer preference point and an elk preference point up near steamboat (totally different area), do I need to purchase the license and apply for points now? Will this impact my OTC tag later?

In my experience, you burn all points drawing ANY tag (species specific). I had 2 points when I first moved to CO, and applied for OTC archery elk my first year. I didn't realize it would burn the points, but it did, for a tag I could have gotten at Walmart. What I should have done was apply for a point, and bought the tag later. I would have 5 points now had I done that. Instead, I'm not even playing the point game- just ones & twos to hunt varying seasons locally.

So for elk this year, I'm planning on hunting OTC archery. So I just applied for a point online, and will get the archery tag later. Did the same thing for turkey- point now, tag later. For mule deer and sheep, I'm applying for a draw tag, so I have a point as a backup if I don't draw.

It shouldn't be an issue for you, I don't think. Get your points now. Buy your OTC later. The only way you would not be able to get an OTC license is if you already have a Type A tag for that species- at least this is what I believe. Also, when applying for a preference point, you don't indicate what unit (points are not unit specific). You just get points per species, and when ready for a tag, you would apply for the tags in Steamboat (or wherever else you want at the time).

Someone more knowledgeable please correct me.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thank you! Helps a lot.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I am in for Ibex, oryx, deer, elk and sheep in New Mexico. Cost me just over $7k. Thank goodness for double points on the credit card.
BradMtn346
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Points are not unit specific. So your first choice on your application should be the preference point hunt code for that animal. Deer D-P-999-99-P
Elk E-P-999-99-P

If you select an OTC archery elk tag as your unsuccessful choice, it won't take your points. They will charge you for the tag after the draw and mail it to you, or select nothing and buy it when you get here.

Joey, you shouldn't have burned points getting an OTC tag through the draw. Unless it is OTC because it is a draw tag that is always leftover. I'd like to understand what happened to your points.
cupofjoe04
AG
BradMtn346 said:

Joey, you shouldn't have burned points getting an OTC tag through the draw. Unless it is OTC because it is a draw tag that is always leftover. I'd like to understand what happened to your points.

- Do exactly what Brad said. It will work just how you need it to.

How did I screw things up? First, I didn't know crap about how it all worked- I just had a couple points from hunting elk on private land for a few years, and moved to CO. But, the nearest I can think is that I put my tag as choice #1 and points as choose #2. Rookie mistake. I called several times and was told there was nothing they could do (which I understand). I had gotten the points as a non-Res and then moved here my first year and screwed up my res application somehow.

In any case, I'm a little paranoid with those points now (not that I'm trying to build a bunch in any case). It it is more convinient for me to get an OTC tag than someone out if state, so it doesn't bother me to do it that way.
mneisch
AG
Quick question regarding applying in Colorado as a group. A friend and I want to apply for a unit for second rifle season mule deer. I currently have 3 mule deer points and he has none. I understand that applying together we get drawn based on the group member with the lowest number of points (in this case 0). If we put the specific hunt code as our first choice and get drawn, will it burn my points? I think the answer is yes. If we put PP as our first option and the hunt code as our second, no points will be used, correct? Historically this unit has been 100% draw rate for NR with 0 points. I'll be inclined to do that, although it is riskier than putting the hunt code as our first option, right? As in, anyone who were to put the hunt code as their first option would be drawn before us, and they might run out of tags in the unit before getting to us with the second option.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
you are correct, but in your scenario you'll actually be applying as 2nd choice so you need to check those draw results, the success rate may (will probably) be lower than first choice 0 points.

That said, I have heard that a group putting in with 0 points has better chance of drawing than an individual with 0 points, I guess for money reasons? Seems the logic would follow for a group putting in second choice.

I say burn your points, go hunting, colorado's covered with mule deer
mneisch
AG
In the grand scheme it really isn't that many points to burn. I do want to make sure we get the tag, so probably just best to put it as first choice. There have been leftover NR tags every year for second season, but who knows when that might change.
BullSprig07
AG
This past year I hunted 1st rifle elk in a unit that was 100% draw. Put PP code as first choice, the hunt code for this unit as second, drew the tag and gained a point.
mneisch
AG
Same way for me on my last elk hunt. However, that unit was mostly private land so it was a bit different.
BullSprig07
AG
Oh I see
BradMtn346
mneisch said:

Quick question regarding applying in Colorado as a group. A friend and I want to apply for a unit for second rifle season mule deer. I currently have 3 mule deer points and he has none. I understand that applying together we get drawn based on the group member with the lowest number of points (in this case 0). If we put the specific hunt code as our first choice and get drawn, will it burn my points? I think the answer is yes. If we put PP as our first option and the hunt code as our second, no points will be used, correct? Historically this unit has been 100% draw rate for NR with 0 points. I'll be inclined to do that, although it is riskier than putting the hunt code as our first option, right? As in, anyone who were to put the hunt code as their first option would be drawn before us, and they might run out of tags in the unit before getting to us with the second option.

What unit are you thinking about. I can tell you your odds of pulling it as a second choice. Some are 100%. Others, none.
LEJ
I'm ready to head west. Right now!
mneisch
AG

How are you able to see second choice odds? Not sure if some of the subscribe sites have that or not. I paid for Toprut this year as I like their layout. That info wasn't on there.
BullSprig07
AG
Gohunt has second choice odds
BradMtn346
mneisch said:

How are you able to see second choice odds? Not sure if some of the subscribe sites have that or not. I paid for Toprut this year as I like their layout. That info wasn't on there.

Everything these pay sites tell you, with the possible exception of trophy quality, is available for free on the CPW web site if you know where to look and how to read it.
It takes time to learn the tables, but they really made it easier the last couple of years.

For second rifle, last year, everyone that put in for it as a first choice drew. Of non-residents that put in for it second choice, 10 of 66 drew. So there is a chance you could draw it without burning your points, but not a great one.
BradMtn346
Nobody drew a doe tag on a second choice.
mneisch
AG
Thanks for checking. I guess my experience with the Colorado Parks and Wildlife data predates whatever changes they made to make it easier. Last time I waded through it I couldn't make good sense of it. Looks like I'll be burning my points.
BradMtn346
mneisch said:

Thanks for checking. I guess my experience with the Colorado Parks and Wildlife data predates whatever changes they made to make it easier. Last time I waded through it I couldn't make good sense of it. Looks like I'll be burning my points.

The raw data has been there for as long as I have been looking, 20 years or so, but it wasn't easy to understand. It still takes time to figure it out. Once you do, it is simple.
cupofjoe04
AG
BradMtn346 said:

mneisch said:

The raw data has been there for as long as I have been looking, 20 years or so, but it wasn't easy to understand. It still takes time to figure it out. Once you do, it is simple.

This is SO true. All the data is there. A bit cumbersome to look at on first glance, but once you get how the table works, you can find out specific data on any species, any unit, and any season. All for a little sweat equity.

My tip- download the pdf's of the tables and you can search them much easier using a "find" feature and typing in a unit or hunt code. Much easier than looking at them in the browser, at least on Safari.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
are we intentionally trying to be obscure? If not I'll post some screenshots when I get home tonight, but go here:
https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx
then choose the critter you're interested in
(deer here) https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics-Deer.aspx
click 2018 draw recap reports https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Deer/2018DeerDrawRecap.pdf
and go to DM444O2R(pg 928)/DF444O2R (pg 430)

10 out of 66 applicants drew NR Buck as 2nd choice last year, and like brad said, 0 out of 9 drew NR Doe. 1/7 chance is not that great, I'd burn your points and go hunting
mneisch
AG
Not trying to be obscure. I think when I was looking at the data many years back I didn't understand the hunt codes and how to decipher them. I appreciate everyone's help.
BradMtn346
NRD09 said:

are we intentionally trying to be obscure? If not I'll post some screenshots when I get home tonight, but go here:
https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx
then choose the critter you're interested in
(deer here) https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics-Deer.aspx
click 2018 draw recap reports https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Deer/2018DeerDrawRecap.pdf
and go to DM444O2R(pg 928)/DF444O2R (pg 430)

10 out of 66 applicants drew NR Buck as 2nd choice last year, and like brad said, 0 out of 9 drew NR Doe. 1/7 chance is not that great, I'd burn your points and go hunting

Not trying to be obscure, and I appreciate your time to walk everyone in with the links. My phone and I argue over links at times. I'm sure it is user error.
shaynew1
AG
This bow finally came in today.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Yeah!!! Can't wait for a range report
shaynew1
AG
Spent a couple hours getting it set up today and really enjoyed shooting a few in the shop. Tomorrow I've got a half day of work and a mile of honeydos for a dumb 1yo's birthday party saturday, but I intend to shoehorn in some shooting w the lovely weather.
shaynew1
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

shaynew1 said:

Yeah!!! Can't wait for a range report
Have been shooting a few intermittently as time or wind allowed. I really enjoy shooting this bow, as its very novel and different from the prime. I much prefer the grip, much more comfortable and ergonomic. I hope to find its less finicky as I dial it in further (the prime required perfect hand placement and performed noticeably when you didn't have it exactly right).

The back wall is on the other end of the spectrum as well, which I'm digging at the moment...little more sponge and pull.

I put a hamskea trinity on it and like it a lot so far. Seems pretty tough to match the rest of my setup.

I got a carter evolution a few weeks ago that I've been playing with on both bows. Sadly, it has been an indictment on my bow arm form - so I've been working on close up fundamentals and not shooting much past 10 or 20 for now. I knew I had some issues, but I thought it was serviceable. I were wrong.

Anyway overall I'm excited about both the bow and shooting with proper form and winning toyota trucks in San Antonio.

It's also that sexy stormy gray with black accessories, so its easy on the eyes.
Post removed:
by user
LEJ
Colorado is due tomorrow at 8pm.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.