Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,581 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
shaynew1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure they do but you might hit them up about replacing it first
shaynew1
AG
And do it today.

Times a tickin
stdeb11
AG
Called them at 8:02. Said they would warranty it if they had the part laying around. Sent an email with pics and now waiting to hear back. If it goes past another week I'll just slap my old sight back on
shaynew1
AG
BTHO waiting on parts
cupofjoe04
AG
Love that pic of the pup! No time spent in the mountains is wasted- even if it is in the crucible of suck.

There are a few areas around here that definitely hold elk, and some great ones. We know exactly where they are, but none of the locals hunt them there, because we have learned (the hard way) that even if you just barely manage to get your butt back in there. you just can't get them out. It seems like every year a guy or two has to be recused, or gets a ticket for leaving an elk.

First elk I ever killed was in an area I probably had no business being in. But 9 straight days of seeing no elk will drive a man to extremes. Shot the bull, and then paid a HEAVY price getting him out. It was worth it, but just barely. Had I shattered my leg or impailed myself on a stick like I almost did a few times, it would not have been worth it. That experience taught me to really pay attention to where an elk is before shooting.
shaynew1
AG
I'm with log... you keep bringing those spots up we're going to have to find out how srs you are
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

I'm with log... you keep bringing those spots up we're going to have to find out how srs you are

Spend a couple hours hiking from the end of Mill Creek Rd or Fawn Gulch and you'll find them. If it's September, you will hear them. It ain't no secret
stdeb11
AG
Actually the pup found that shed. His first one! I had found a couple other muley sheds and think he picked up on it so was pretty proud.

I now know exactly what those spots look like. And I'd be lying if I said I don't still have a desire to try and get back in there as I'm sure its good hunting. But it'd take a rough group of dudes working together to get one out. I know a few who'd do it, but they'd probably give me a beat down for dragging them in there.

And new part for the bow sight should be in the mail shortly. Good people at black gold
AgEng06
AG
My Western hunting options are usually limited to one or two trips a year, but if I had the time I'd be your Huckleberry. I'm just stubborn enough to try it.
arrow
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

shaynew1 said:

Spend a couple hours hiking from the end of Mill Creek Rd or Fawn Gulch and you'll find them. If it's September, you will hear them. It ain't no secret
Bears too?
Ag210
AG
My brother and I will be headed to Colorado for first Western Hunt (if you don't count Lake Meredith). We will be hunting 2nd Rifle Mule Deer Curious on everyone's thoughts on packing in camp vs day trips. Seems to be enough roads that we may not get a whole lot of benefit of backpack camping, but would be interested in yall's thoughts.
cupofjoe04
AG
arrow said:

cupofjoe04 said:

shaynew1 said:

Bears too?

Lots of bears up Mill Creek. Lots of bear hunters as well. Easy access to water holes from roads.
stdeb11
AG
I would say it depends on your plan. If the spots you want to check out are spaced apart to where it's not possible to easily hike from plan A, to B, to C then day trips from a base camp at the truck makes sense. In some ways backpacking is more limiting if you realize you want to be 10miles over. Especially if you're going in to an area just based on E-scouting.

I do love backpack style hunting and it can be convenient to just stop and set up camp and keep chasing the next day from it, but it does have it shortfalls. And if you've never done any backpacking it's a bit of challenge for some to plan out all the gear to bring and have tents, sleeping bags, etc that are geared towards backpack vs truck.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'm not much of a mule deer hunter but I'd pack/spike camp if at all possible. My understanding is big mulies like seclusion and you gotta catch them at first light. So ideally you will be camped way up there so you can be on a ridge glassing by the time the sun comes up. Should be fun!
AgEng06
AG
I'm hesitant to point this out, for obvious reasons, but the CO Leftover Tag list is posted...

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Leftover.pdf

Surprisingly, my unit I drew in had tags left over, so my brother is going to try to get in on one.
stdeb11
AG
I've been looking at it for a while today and was selfishly hesitant to post as well...Hopefully no website crash next Tuesday. There's some sweet tags on there.
AgEng06
AG
As long as all of you guys wait until your lunch break to log on, I'm good with it.
stdeb11
AG
Oh, I've had a "meeting" on my work calendar for a month now to have the time blocked off....
cupofjoe04
AG
DANG- there are some good tags on that list.

If anyone snags one of those 77/78/771 muzzleloader deer tags hit me up. I could really use someone to go up with me and pack my deer down to a cooler in the truck while I sheep hunt. That's the price for coming to the honey hole.

Except I just realized that I'm going to get skunked this year, because I just arrogantly postulated that I was going to kill a buck and a sheep on the same hunt... I'm doomed!!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
stdeb11 said:

Oh, I've had a "meeting" on my work calendar for a month now to have the time blocked off....

THIS is how you do it. Priorities!
AgEng06
AG
There are several elk tags in there with over 1,000 leftover, and one that's over 2,000. How does that happen?
stdeb11
AG
I've wondered that too and all I can come up with is they're all units with a good chunk of private land and they might be affected by migrations more. So when they need to reduce numbers they issue a ton of tags in hopes of getting lots of people...

Or if you ask one of my co-workers it's just a scam for CPW to get more money...
shaynew1
AG
I have a sneaking suspicion that work is trying to tomahawk my opening week plans.

Who wants to volunteer to load some cattle for me?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'll volunteer to hunt for you opening weekend?
shaynew1
AG
Maybe.

But maybe not.
shaynew1
AG
I am ready to head to the hills. Like yesterday.

Broadheads grouping good at 60 and am feeling better about the bow. No less stupid tho.

Get after it today. The time is almost now!
stdeb11
AG
Well, my buddy went and put cameras up in a spot we found a few years ago that seemed like a great early season area. He checked cameras this weekend and we were right. Lots of bulls and tons of cows. He's going up there opening weekend to hunt... However, I've got a stupid vegan wedding that I was suckered into going to before knowing the date (wife's friends). I'm working over time trying to weasle out of it to join him now.

And still waiting on my new sight dovetail to get back out shooting.
cupofjoe04
AG
stdeb11 said:

a stupid vegan wedding.

That could be the most depressing reason I have ever heard for not hunting... T&P for you my friend
ttha_aggie_09
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

stdeb11 said:

a stupid vegan wedding.

That could be the most depressing reason I have ever heard for not hunting... T&P for you my friend
LOL!

I would exhaust all options to get out of that one. My ace in the hole would probably be if I go, I will not stop talking to everyone about how much I hunt and should be out right now shooting an elk.

Actually doing that is not a smart idea and not really good form for someone else's wedding... but she doesn't have to know that's just a threat.
stdeb11
AG
I've been trying for weeks now, but now pulling out all the stops to get out of it....i agreed to go with the wife before invites went out when I was told the wedding was "mid August I think"... the people for sure know I hunt. Don't think they're big fans of me, but part of the wife's friend group. Moral of the story, don't sign up for anything until you know the full details

Is it weird if I post an ad to find my wife a date for the wedding? Think it's an open bar...
cupofjoe04
AG
stdeb11 said:

Is it weird if I post an ad to find my wife a date for the wedding? Think it's an open bar...

I just wouldn't post the ad here- cruel and unusual punishment to subject your wife to one of us degenerates...
stdeb11
AG
I was thinking maybe in a nice gay neighborhood. That way I don't have to worry about any funny business and she gets a good dancing partner...
cupofjoe04
AG
#Winning!!!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
This is archery, right? Sounds like your opportunity to earn a carte blanche for the rest of hunting season. Hike up with your buddy friday night, spend saturday morning bowhiking then head down the hill and go to the wedding. If things are looking good go back up Sunday morning, let the air out of one and call in sick monday/tue. More likely head down the hill Saturday morning sweaty and disappointed and don't bother going back until a cold snap kicks the rut into gear.

(kinda kidding but not really)
shaynew1
AG
Until he whacks one in a hole 4 hours before the wedding

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.